Spotify drops Web streaming for users of Apple's Safari browser

Posted:
in macOS
Streaming music service Spotify has apparently dropped access to its Web Player for users of Apple's Safari, despite it continuing to work on Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Opera.

Image Credit: riegelstamm on Spotify Community
Image Credit: riegelstamm on Spotify Community

On trying to reach the Web Player, Safari users are encountering a message telling them their browser is unsupported, and asking them to either download the native Mac client or switch to another browser. Safari has been removed from an official compatibility list.

A poster on Spotify's support forums said they contacted the company for help and received a confirmation.

"After taking a look backstage, we can confirm that after recent updates Safari is no longer a supported browser for Web Player," the reply read. "We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall. We're sorry that this means you're not able to use the Web Player like you could before. We can't say if or when any specific features will be back. But as soon as we've got anything to announce, we'll let everyone know via the Spotify Community."

One possible explanation is a Google plugin, Widevine, which is required for streaming Spotify on the Web but flagged by macOS because it doesn't "support the highest level of security for Safari plug-ins," and may risk hackers accessing personal data.

Apple and Spotify have become rivals in the streaming music space since the 2015 launch of Apple Music. Spotify remains firmly in the lead in terms of paid subscribers, with over 60 million versus Apple's 27 million. It's believed to have even more people on its ad-based free tier, whereas Apple Music is paid-only after a three-month trial.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Not sure why you'd stream in a browser if you're on a Mac when you can download and use Spotify Mac app.
    MuntzksecRacerhomieXcornchipdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Okay. Just stop using Spotify, then.
    rotateleftbytemacplusplusMuntzbaconstangedredchiamacseekerlostkiwilkruppchasm
  • Reply 3 of 29
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    "One possible explanation is a Google plugin, Widevine, which is required for streaming Spotify on the Web but flagged by macOS because it doesn't "support the highest level of security for Safari plug-ins," and may risk hackers accessing personal data."

Says it all. If it's not this, it could always be the issue of too many hops, which are generally used for ad clicks. Apple continues to try and make sure Mac users are not subjected to privacy and security breaches. Something places like Equifax should be more interested in.

tallest skilMuntzbaconstangchialostkiwiRacerhomieXlongpathjbdragoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Why bother with either, when I can listen to Amazon Music for free? (No ads)
    jbdragoncornchip
  • Reply 5 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Not sure why you'd stream in a browser if you're on a Mac when you can download and use Spotify Mac app.
    Until your post I didn't even know there was a Spotify app. I just used Chrome, my backup browser, because when I bring it up in Safari it keeps telling me I need Flash installed. Installing...
    airmanchairman
  • Reply 6 of 29
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    What happens if you set Safari's User Agent (in the Develop menu) to one of the compatible browsers?
    edredrandominternetpersonlostkiwiRacerhomieXairmanchairman
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Guest computer, lab machine, insufficient rights, etc..
    fasterquieterRacerhomieXwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    larryjw said:
    What happens if you set Safari's User Agent (in the Develop menu) to one of the compatible browsers?
    Then it works... just tried and no warning.

And with the iOS agents it even works with Safari...
    edited September 2017 vannygeerandominternetpersonchiaJ0na17anT98lostkiwilongpathStrangeDaysrezwitsfastasleepcornchip
  • Reply 9 of 29
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    rob53 said:
    Something places like Equifax should be more interested in.
     :) Always on top of the news!
    longpath
  • Reply 10 of 29
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    is the same Spotify who complained of unfair practices from Apple...
    J0na17anT98macseekerlostkiwiRacerhomieXjbdragonwatto_cobracornchipargonaut
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Seems like something spotify would do. Just another way of making the service worse for Apple users. 

Also, why isn't there an app on the Apple TV, Apple Watch like pandora and Apple Music? Maybe instead of Spotify being too concerned about Apple's cut in revenue that they should just make the app available on all Apple devices and maybe some more people would upgrade to Spotify premium. 

Otherwise I use the app daily because it's free over Apple music but if the iPhone 8 has free year of Apple Music. Bye bye spotify!
  • Reply 12 of 29
    sreesree Posts: 152member
    The gutsy option would have been to drop the spotify support on ios ¡
    jbdragonwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 13 of 29
    On a related note, I've been getting an error message with my Apple TV (latest model, latest software) saying that I can't watch the most recent episodes of "Late Night with Stephen Colbert" on YouTube because the "content isn't compatible with Apple TV." Has anyone else seen this? Other content seems fine, and older "Late Night" clips still play. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Apple, 2010: Adobe Flash is bad for everyone, and not the way forward. The future of the web belongs to HTML.

Adobe, 2016: Flash is dead. Long live HTML.

Spotify, 2017: Install this google plugin or else
    StrangeDaysjbdragonwatto_cobracornchipstq66argonaut
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Plenty of Spotify competitors work fine on Safari.
    longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Okay. Just stop using Spotify, then.
    Yeah, this sounds like Amazon's bullshit reason given as to why they stopped selling the Apple TV and wouldn't produce a Prime app for it. Spotify must be getting nervous or something.
    tallest skiljbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Come on, Apple! Just bite the bullet and become a Windows/Android clone also-ran so all this can go away and we can be happy peons.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Soli said:
    Until your post I didn't even know there was a Spotify app. I just used Chrome, my backup browser, because when I bring it up in Safari it keeps telling me I need Flash installed. Installing...
    The Spotify app works great. I know there have been a ton of complaints in the past about the Mac app running slow, but I've never had that issue.
    Solicornchip
  • Reply 19 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    The Spotify app works great. I know there have been a ton of complaints in the past about the Mac app running slow, but I've never had that issue.
    I did a basic test run, and so far so good. Frankly, anything that helps keep me from needing to open up Chrome is always a win.

PS: I can't get the Sling TV app for Mac or the Apple TV to work. Different error codes with each, but it works fine on my iPhone, which I can then mirror to the Apple TV—not push, like a normal AirPlay, but mirror. They recently just added an option to watch via Chrome, so that works. I'm glad that Netflix works great with Safari on the Mac without any plugins.
    edited September 2017 cornchip
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    I did a basic test run, and so far so good. Frankly, anything that helps keep me from needing to open up Chrome is always a win.

PS: I can't get the Sling TV app for Mac or the Apple TV to work. Different error codes with each, but it works fine on my iPhone, which I can then mirror to the Apple TV—not push, like a normal AirPlay, but mirror. They recently just added an option to watch via Chrome, so that works. I'm glad that Netflix works great with Safari on the Mac without any plugins.
    The Sling TV app from the ATV4 app store?