Photo of Steve Jobs Theater construction show leather seats with integrated power outlets

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Does not look like 1,000 seats.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ajl said:
    "Taken sometime this summer, and posted to Twitter by Apple fan Giammarco Nesci in July, the photo above shows contractors unboxing and installing custom leather seating in Apple Park's Steve Jobs Theater." Uh! The photo is named 17.08.07-Jobs_Full, so why it could be not taken on August 7?
    Because it was posted to Twitter in July. A funny way to write a date would be with the year first.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ireland said:
    Are you bitching about the use of "1000 seats" v seating for 1000 attendees because they've installed benches?
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Soli said:
    welshdog said:
    This theater seems very small compared to the venues used for past product announcements.
    Anyone know?
    The number of seats for other venues have ranged from 300 to just 1,600 seats.

• Apple Town Hall ≈ 300
    • Yerba Buena Center ≈ 760
    • Steve Jobs Theater ≈1000
    • Bill Graham Center ≈ 1600 (for iPhone events)

You have to assume that with all the space and planning that Apple didn't make a mistake with how many media outlets they'd need to plan for for many years to come. I think what we saw in the past at Bill Graham was a lot of Apple employees getting invites to help fill the seats. This will probably suck for them, but I wouldn't expect that the event will have any less media coverage than in the past, if that's your concern.
    and... with it being on campus (in the future), and the big releases requiring demo areas set up, the employees can walk/shuttle over to the demo tent afterward from a satellite viewing location.  It's not like it's several miles away from their work site (yes, I know Apple has lots of work sites, and yes, the building isn't occupied now).

I'll be more interested in 'first show glitches*' for the venue, and how they avoid them (given the history of apple event prepping).   I'm wondering how many employees will be bussed in to sit in the room the day before, listening to a dry run or 3, shuttled in and out to practice crowd control, etc.  And after they leave, the 'real presentations' are rehearsed late into the night.

*This will be  the first time 1000(more likely 1300+ with staff) warm, sound emitting and absorbing, bodies sit in that venue for 3 hours, with the cameras rolling live, Cell phones and WiFi radiating, bathrooms at capacity.... 
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Soli said:
    welshdog said:
    This theater seems very small compared to the venues used for past product announcements.
    Anyone know?
    The number of seats for other venues have ranged from 300 to just 1,600 seats.

• Apple Town Hall ≈ 300
    • Yerba Buena Center ≈ 760
    • Steve Jobs Theater ≈1000
    • Bill Graham Center ≈ 1600 (for iPhone events)

You have to assume that with all the space and planning that Apple didn't make a mistake with how many media outlets they'd need to plan for for many years to come. I think what we saw in the past at Bill Graham was a lot of Apple employees getting invites to help fill the seats. This will probably suck for them, but I wouldn't expect that the event will have any less media coverage than in the past, if that's your concern.
    You mean to say Apple thinks about things before they do them even though there are those here who think they don't? No way!!!!

I don't see why 1,000 seats isn't enough. Apple doesn't need every single possible media outlet there to cover their events. I'm sure there were those who didn't get invited to Tuesday's event that normally are, but thats just how the cookie crumbles sometimes. All of the major media outlets will be there. Apple isn't going to not invite Ars Technica, or some other major tech media to there. Maybe xyzzy local news station didn't get invited this year, but that really doesn't have any major effect on how any Apple announcement will do from the Steve Jobs Theatre.  
    Soli
  • Reply 26 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    macxpress said:
    $14,000/seat? Must be cheap leather... 
    Apple, always taking advantage of their suppliers, who can barely make a profit.
    No more so than any other large company.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    ireland said:
    And Apple Park itself doesn't look very big in photos either compared to the actual real life size. 

Yes, Apple is going to lie about how many seats it has and sent out 1,000 invites when they don't really have 1,000 seats. Really! Freaking really!!!!
  • Reply 28 of 36
    How is the circular roof being held up? I don't see any supports. Structural glass?
  • Reply 29 of 36
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    yoyo2222 said:
    How is the circular roof being held up? I don't see any supports. Structural glass?
    Gravity Distortion Field.™
    alcstarheelavon b7cornchiprandominternetperson
  • Reply 30 of 36
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    The Egyptians built pyramids, the Greeks built temples, the Romans built amphitheatres, the Medieval Europeans built cathedrals, we build corporate HQs.
    edited September 2017 cornchip
  • Reply 31 of 36
    There are some really interesting things in the building (including bathtubs, a giant disappearing wall, and - as can be seen in the photos - three sections of seating that can be lowered on hydraulics).  Apple submitted floor plans with all this info to the city of Cupertino during the approval process.

I collected the more interesting bits about the theater in a blog post here:
    https://jobstobedisrupted.wordpress.com/2017/09/08/the-curious-things-about-apples-steve-jobs-theater/

cornchip
  • Reply 32 of 36
    The leather comes from Japanese Kobe cows that have spent their entire lives being massaged by nubile Japanese girls...
    Oh… So that’s where Steve and Reed visited on their father/son standalone trip…
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 33 of 36
    robjn said:
    You write:
    A report from Bloomberg earlier this week claims each seat cost some $14,000

Not exactly, that figure is calculated by dividing the total estimated cost of the entire theater by the number of seats.
    Here's the quote from Bloomberg:

"Given the theater's 1,000-person capacity, one engineer said back in March that the building's budget meant each leather seat had cost Apple the equivalent of$14,000 apiece."

I tend to agree with you.  I take it the same way I would take "The wedding reception is going to cost $500 per plate". The plate and the meal don't actually cost $500, it includes the costs of the facility, the staff and a bunch of other things.  It's just a simple way to express the overall cost without being too wordy.

Edit: A better analogy is to compare it to building anything.  The costs are frequently broken down to $/square foot, let's say $500.  Any specific square foot likely didn't cost $500, but the whole project can be expressed as cost/square foot.  The engineer referenced in the Bloomberg article likely was just taking the total construction cost/seat.

There's no way they built that entire underground theater - to an Apple-quality world-class standard - for only $14 million (didn't the CF roof alone cost several million?).  I would sooner believe they spent $14,000 on each of the leather benches.  That is not a crazy amount for high-end furniture.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jjredfish said:
    robjn said:
    You write:

Not exactly, that figure is calculated by dividing the total estimated cost of the entire theater by the number of seats.
    Here's the quote from Bloomberg:

"Given the theater's 1,000-person capacity, one engineer said back in March that the building's budget meant each leather seat had cost Apple the equivalent of$14,000 apiece."

I tend to agree with you.  I take it the same way I would take "The wedding reception is going to cost $500 per plate". The plate and the meal don't actually cost $500, it includes the costs of the facility, the staff and a bunch of other things.  It's just a simple way to express the overall cost without being too wordy.

Edit: A better analogy is to compare it to building anything.  The costs are frequently broken down to $/square foot, let's say $500.  Any specific square foot likely didn't cost $500, but the whole project can be expressed as cost/square foot.  The engineer referenced in the Bloomberg article likely was just taking the total construction cost/seat.

There's no way they built that entire underground theater - to an Apple-quality world-class standard - for only $14 million (didn't the CF roof alone cost several million?).  I would sooner believe they spent $14,000 on each of the leather benches.  That is not a crazy amount for high-end furniture.
    You make a good point about the cost of the roof. I can't find it's price tag but I did find a Mashable link with amazing photos of the roof being installed.

• Reply 35 of 36
    Soli said:
    robjn said:
    You write:

That is what is meant. I can't imagine that anyone would read that and think that the cost is referring to the cost of the padding directly below one's ass over the cost of the facility divided by the number of people it seats.
    I disagree completely.  First they mention an "engineer" doing the calculation, suggestion that sophisticated analysis is involved.  Then the way it's described it's clearly about the costs of the seats themselves.  If they wanted to say it cost Apple $14,000 per person, they would have said exactly that (without having to refer to an engineer).  In my mind, it's clear that someone (an "engineer") took what he (or she) knew about the project, subtracted the costs of other known parts and them pulled some numbers out of his ass to suggest that literally the seats themselves cost over $10,000 per butt-space.  Also, as you note in a later post, the theater certainly cost more than $14 million, so it can't just be total cost divided by 1000.