iOS 11 firmware reveals apparent names of Apple's next phones: iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus & i...

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
With just a few days to go before Apple reveals its highly anticipated 10th-anniversary iPhone overhaul, the name of the mystery product may finally be known: iPhone X, according to the company's own iOS 11 golden master firmware.

Developer Steven Troughton-Smith dug deep in the leaked iOS 11 GM and found what are believed to be the names of Apple's trio of 2017 iPhones. Specifically, they are said to be the iPhone X, which is expected to be the premium OLED model, as well as the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.

Previously, rumors had colloquially referred to the edge-to-edge OLED model as the iPhone 8. More affordable models featuring LCD screens and a home button were referred to as the "iPhone 7s," but now it appears that no product will bear that name.

Calling the LCD models the iPhone 8 should signal to consumers that this year's upgrade is a major revamp and significant improvement over last year's iPhone 7. Apple typically brands as "s" models the year after a full number jump.

But with the new premium iPhone X expected to cost upwards of $1,000 and be extremely limited in availability, Apple likely felt it necessary to have the LCD models stand strongly on their own. Giving them the name "iPhone 7s" might have signaled to consumers that they are

As for the name iPhone X, it's obviously a reference to the 10th anniversary of Apple's iconic handset, which first launched in 2007. But it's also a callback to OS X, the name previously given to Apple's macOS.

The first OS X launched in 2001, celebrating the 10th major release of the Mac OS, but also bringing with it a major redesign of the platform. The OS X name stuck for over a decade longer, representing its lasting impact.

Of course, as with OS X, the name iPhone X will cause some confusion and debate amongst consumers. Specifically, whether it is pronounced as "iPhone Ten," or "iPhone Ecks."

For what it's worth, the correct pronunciation of the Mac platform was "OS Ten."

While the name of the iPhone X (and iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus) is now known, at least in print, we'll find out how Apple intends to pronounce it this Tuesday at 10 a.m. Pacific 1 p.m. Eastern when the product is officially announced. AppleInsider's Daniel Eran Dilger will be there live with exclusive news and analysis from the Steve Jobs Theater in Cupertino, Calif.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    Please no! We killed OS X, and this is a backward step in my opinion. Use current branding of pro or edition.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 66
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Let's see how Sog35 name and price the line up!
    doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 66
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Please no! We killed OS X, and this is a backward step in my opinion. Use current branding of pro or edition.
    Just a name dude!
    christopher126netmagebaconstanggilly33asdasdanantksundaram
  • Reply 4 of 66
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    So, I was right... I suspected they killed off 7s naming when I saw the leaked info saying iPhone 8 with 64GB, space gray.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    Actually I like this.  :)

It will be interesting to see what actually happens this Tuesday.

edited September 2017
  • Reply 6 of 66
    Of course, as with OS X, the name iPhone X will cause some confusion and debate amongst consumers. Specifically, whether it is pronounced as "iPhone Ten," or "iPhone Ecks."
    iPhone Ecks, as it’s the 11th iPhone.
    toddzrx
  • Reply 7 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I’m going to say despite what the firmware apparently says, there’s still a strong possibility we see 7s and 8. X, if used will be intended as “ten” but will be called “ex” by everyone. And I think that will sound cheesy and cheap.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 8 of 66
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    Sylas said:
    Actually I like this.  :)

Same here - this is best way to handle this year's models - otherwise, it could very much feel like only a few get the new goods (iPhone X) while others get a rehashed 7 (if the iPhone 8 name was iPhone 7s)
  • Reply 9 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    netrox said:
    So, I was right... I suspected they killed off 7s naming when I saw the leaked info saying iPhone 8 with 64GB, space gray.
    If this turns out to be true.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    I miss... "One more thing..." from SJ. 

Between leaks, Tim Cook's boring personality, and a generation of young consumer/bloggers who aren't wowed by tech any longer, these "product announcements" are real yawners. #AppleMagicIsGone

When Tim Cook takes the stage, his opening monologue should open with, "Well, due to Chinese labor leaks and U.S. developers who ignore confidentiality agreements, we no longer have anything left to surprise you with. Please go to the Apple Store and preorder your overpriced iDevice today."

And then Tim just drops the remote and leaves the stage. 
    doozydozenavon b7SpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 66
    I don't see the value in ditching Apple's establishment nomenclature, in this case, skipping the name 7s and 7s Plus. Also, what happens in a few years when they need the iPhone 10 name again? 
  • Reply 12 of 66
    X as I predicted (for what it is worth)...

OS X was X because of UNIX, not because of anything tenth.  X to denominate UNIX was common in the 90s.

Most probably it will be announced as "ten" because of the tenth anniversary of the iPhone. Then it will morph to "ecks" in popular parlance. Easier to say "the X model" than saying "tenth anniversary model".
    iqatedo
  • Reply 13 of 66
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I can see now how Apple could sell the X . . . tenth anniversary, something  special to mark this, historic moment, continuing Steve Jobs vision,  major step forward, limited production in comparison with "normal" new iPhones, price in excess of $1,000, not for everyone, and the with lower supply watch as the pre orders go into melt down with instant stories of ordered but not available for first weeks then months. Brilliant, Apple will over night create a new market for even more expensive iPhones and increase upwards both average selling price and net revenues.
    Hyperealitydoozydozenbaconstangradarthekat
  • Reply 14 of 66
    The truth is out there
    doozydozenboogerman2000
  • Reply 15 of 66
    I don't see the value in ditching Apple's establishment nomenclature, in this case, skipping the name 7s and 7s Plus. Also, what happens in a few years when they need the iPhone 10 name again? 
    That is a good, wise move. That shows how high value Apple puts in its flagship LCD models, countering the efforts of Kuo's alikes to tweak brand's image to their benefit for selling Samsung's crappy obsolete OLED tech. They can't even produce above 60% yield...
    edited September 2017 bobby88
  • Reply 16 of 66
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    I am looking forward to the event, if for no other reason than than to see the SJ theater.

Other rumor sites reporting on the AW3 as LTE capable, and uses the same phone number as your iPhone. The attendant rumor also predicts this capability at an addition cost at the discretion of the carrier. I predict TMobile will toss it in for free on select plans. It seems to be Legere's style.

I am wary of all this face recognition stuff. I am not convinced it is better in all circumstances than touchID; and it is plausible Apple simply wasn't able to make the under the screen touchID work in time. That disappoints me, YMMV. Even if face recognition for unlock is flawless, that means a law enforcement official (or another person that has control over it and you) in possession of your phone can point it at you and unlock it.

I have no doubt the phones will be spectacular. But given the pricing, I'm not seeing anything (yet) that makes this tip me over to upgrading right now. I will need to replace my wife's 5s at some point, but I'm still inclined to wait another cycle. I doubt she will be insistent on an upgrade now either, as her uses are far less extensive than mine.

A funny thing happened while I was waiting for an update to ATV: I bought a Roku 4k smart TV. I got a great price, and needed to replace a failed 1080p set. Oddly enough, I don't use my ATV anymore. Switching over to HDMI1 input and finding and using the ATV Siri remote is apparently beyond my interest. I really like the shape and feel of the Roku remote. It is a bigger deal than I expected. I am actually now considering skipping the ATV update. Again, YMMV. 
    edited September 2017 doozydozenanantksundaram
  • Reply 17 of 66
    I like it and can't wait for Tuesday...Probably watch the Keynote at work w/ all the interruptions rather than wait till I get home and watch it on my 50" TV with a nice bourbon.

Story of my life! :)

Best

• Reply 18 of 66
    Since when was OS X killed?  The last I heard Apple is planning to release a new version of it albeit under a slightly different name, on Tuesday.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 66
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    My thoughts:  they know everyone is not going to shell out for the flashy, new iPhone X (or pro or whatever) and they don't want people thinking it's too much of a drop off to get "just" an iPhone 7something--they still need to sell millions and millions of those! 
    This will highlight that the new 8 and 8+ are also noteworthy.
    baconstang
  • Reply 20 of 66
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mr squid said:
    Since when was OS X killed?  The last I heard Apple is planning to release a new version of it albeit under a slightly different name, on Tuesday.
    I think it's clear he's referring to the nomenclature, not the desktop OS.

PS: Am I the only one that preferred to say it as |  ō es eks |?
    doozydozenmobirdradarthekat