iOS 11 firmware reveals apparent names of Apple's next phones: iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus & i...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    X as I predicted (for what it is worth)...

OS X was X because of UNIX, not because of anything tenth.  X to denominate UNIX was common in the 90s.

Most probably it will be announced as "ten" because of the tenth anniversary of the iPhone. Then it will morph to "ecks" in popular parlance. Easier to say "the X model" than saying "tenth anniversary model".
    iOS is unix too, they just don't provide a command line.  Using the X nomenclature for a mobile would be an amusing nod to the linux crowd and those of us who remember Next OS, but it does seem a bit odd to use it for the hardware instead of the OS.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    fallenjt said:
    Please no! We killed OS X, and this is a backward step in my opinion. Use current branding of pro or edition.
    Just a name dude!
    The pro nomenclature has become tired, particularly since Apple's pro laptops are not particularly suited for many non-managerial professional  uses anymore.  Edition is a catchy name, but it does not really mean anything except to further the idea that Apple is a boutique brand.  Ultimately the name is irrelevant.  What matters is what the device can do.
    doozydozenbaconstangronn
  • Reply 23 of 66
    I think this makes perfect sense and hints at what may be Apple's thinking. Historically the digit in the name has been the case generation (i.e. Phones with the same digit could share accessories because their outside design is identical) and suffixes indicate variations on internals. Calling this the 8 line indicates they will not work with cases designed for the iPhone 7. Calling the OLED model the iPhone X seems to indicate this is a low volume technology incubator and not a change in future philosophy like the iPad Pro. It would not surprise me if next year there are two OLED phones and they are called iPhone 9.
    edited September 2017 radarthekatronn
  • Reply 24 of 66
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:
    Let's see how Sog35 name and price the line up!

IPHONE X - 64GB $899, 256 GB $1049, 512 GB $1199

IPHONE 8 - 32GB $649

IPHONE 8 PLUS - 32GB $769

No way on earth is the iPhoneX going to start over $899. Trust me.
    Trust him, he says. Here are just three—only three!—of his other absolutely-correct-never-question-anything-I-say-because-I-know-Apple-better-than-anyone-else predictions over a very short time frame. At least other trolls are consistent with their claims. Fuck, even Rush Limbaugh won't say why's he’s evacuating Palm Beach days after suggesting Hurricane Irma is fake news.

• August 24, 2017 10:57AM - "iPhone X - Starts at $979 for 64GB"
    • August 24, 2017 11:43AM - "iPhoneX  32GB  $979,  128GB $1099, 256 GB $1199"
    • August 28, 2017 07:28AM - "iPhone X $949 - 128GB, $1049 256 GB, $1149 512 GB"
    edited September 2017 baconstangStrangeDaysnetmageradarthekatwaverboy
  • Reply 25 of 66
    OS X was X because of UNIX, not because of anything tenth.  X to denominate UNIX was common in the 90s.
    Can you back that up? I've always heard Apple say it as '10' and it came after Mac OS 9. In fact, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that the 'X' is because they wanted the last letter of the word Unix.
    baconstangfastasleepnetmage
  • Reply 26 of 66
    Soli said:
    Can you back that up? I've always heard Apple say it as '10' and it came after Mac OS 9. In fact, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that the 'X' is because they wanted the last letter of the word Unix.
    Why OS X 10.1 10.2 10.3 then if X already denotes 10. After 9 comes 10 not X.

If you never heard of AIX, A/UX, HP/UX it is certain that this is your first time.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Wow all these leaks are embarrassing. This along with the HomePod leak has to be one of the biggest/worst in a long time. Will anything on Tuesday be a surprise?
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Soli said:
    1) After 9 does come 10, but X is the Roman numerals for 10. You really should've learned that as a child. Also, 0xA and 1010 also have a value of 10.

2) One is branding name and the other is version number.

3) I'd think if there was a reason for calling it 'X' it would be to pay homage to the dominate sound in NeXT.

4) You still haven't explained why Apple execs have always referred to it as '10'.

5) Try typing these into Terminal and then come back to tell me it's just an 17 year old bug.

say Mac OS X
    say X marks the spot
    say Mac OS X marks the spot
    baconstang
  • Reply 29 of 66
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:
    Let's see how Sog35 name and price the line up!

IPHONE X - 64GB $899, 256 GB $1049, 512 GB $1199

IPHONE 8 - 32GB $649

IPHONE 8 PLUS - 32GB $769

No way on earth is the iPhoneX going to start over $899. Trust me.
    Trust him, he says. Here are just three—only three!—of his other absolutely-correct-never-question-anything-I-say-because-I-know-Apple-better-than-anyone-else predictions over a very short time frame. At least other trolls are consistent with their claims. Fuck, even Rush Limbaugh won't say why's he’s evacuating Palm Beach days after suggesting Hurricane Irma is fake news.

• August 24, 2017 10:57AM - "iPhone X - Starts at $979 for 64GB"
    • August 24, 2017 11:43AM - "iPhoneX  32GB  $979,  128GB $1099, 256 GB $1199"
    • August 28, 2017 07:28AM - "iPhone X $949 - 128GB, $1049 256 GB, $1149 512 GB"
    New information surfaces.

YOu must admit I nailed the iPhone X name months ago, right?
    No, you've changed that up constantly, too! I only chose the ones where you reference X, but you've made mention to iPhone 8, iPhone Edition, and probably other stupid shit just to make sure you have said something about every possible scenario so you can try to convince people to "trust you" when you pull more names and numbers out of your ass.
    mobirdStrangeDaysnetmageradarthekatronnwaverboy
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    1) After 9 does come 10, but X is the Roman numerals for 10. You really should've learned that as a child. Also, 0xA and 1010 also have a value of 10.

3) I'd think if there was a reason for calling it 'X' it would be to pay homage to the dominate sound in NeXT.

4) You still haven't explained why Apple execs have always referred to it as '10'.

5) Try typing these into Terminal and then come back to tell me it's just an 17 year old bug.

say Mac OS X
    say X marks the spot
    What would it say? mac OS "ecks"? Pronuncing it as "Ten" is the most comprehensible way. But that is just the pronunciation of a symbol, not the meaning of the symbol. For the meaning of the symbol, read macOS entry in Wikipedia:

"The "X" in Mac OS X and OS X is pronounced "ten", as it is the Roman numeral for the number 10. The X was a prominent part of the operating system's brand identity, and was used to showcase its Unix compatibility;... "

• Reply 31 of 66
    Soli said:

for us oldsters, legend has alluded that Mac OS 10 was written with the  roman numeral X  for 3 reasons

1) The X was the most prominent part of the branding, and was there to represent its unix compatibility.
           At the time, Windows (or Mac OS 9) wasn't considered 'workstation' (a 'mainframe' OS on a desktop) quality, compared to Sun, SGI, Ultrix, HP-UX.
    Look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4V3G4NqII
           3 minutes in:  Very Linux Like
    and  http://www.osnews.com/story/691/The_Roots_of_MacOSX

2) a veiled homage to NeXTstep (avi tevanian liked it, and hated when for marketing purposes, they renamed NeXTSTEP to OPENSTEP when they went cross platform).  The decision to start 'Rhapsody' with Mach/BSD (NeXTSTEP) and kill 'Copeland'.  Apple marketing* was driving to pronounce it  "oh ess ten",  the old NeXT engineering teams called it 'Oh-esS-eks' (or OS-NeXT),  rhyming with POSIX  'paws-eks' (a key standard Apple was driving to for corporate sales)

*At the time of the NeXT purchase, Apple had AU/X.  'Apple Unix with Xwindows'.  A good OS, but a commercial failure (like all Xwindows desktops were a consumer failure).  
    The calling of it as Oh-ess-ten is often attributed to making sure Mac faithful knew that their Classic Mac stuff would work (in blue box), and this new OS  wasn't incompatible like AU/X was.  Old Apple Marketing was heels dug in about pronouncing it 'eks', and new Apple Marketing wanted to highlight the Unix underpinning of a 'single, real, modern' operating system (vs Windows 98 and NT and CE, and 2000).   Using X as a symbol and 10 as a name was the marketing compromise, New and totally different, yet, just the next Mac Operating system.

3) A tech marketing tenet from the 60's and 70's was to use X in brand names (Xerox, AMEX, FedEX), as it sounded 'techie' (likely from X-Ray) for the double sublimal message of 'unknown/variable' [cool compared to a constant], and mind seeing the X and mentally alliterating to 'seX' (maybe a guy thing). 

(this was attributed in the urban legend  of Digital Equipment' 32bit computer name an impure Acronym: VAX: 'Virtual Addressing eXtention'  They wanted a 3 letter acronym that reference Virtual addressing and had an X in it )

Ever wonder why they called it Pepsi Max?  
    edited September 2017 avon b7radarthekat
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

say Mac OS X
    say X marks the spot
    What would it say? mac OS "ecks"? Pronuncing it as "Ten" is the most comprehensible way. But that is just the pronunciation of a symbol, not the meaning of the symbol.
    Now you're saying that pronouncing it as 10 is the most comprehensible way, but you just fucking wrote, "Why OS X 10.1 10.2 10.3 then if X already denotes 10. After 9 comes 10 not X," trying to argue that it wouldn't pronounced 10. You people can't even keep your argument straight for 10 fucking minute.s
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 66
    jfdesigns said:
    I miss... "One more thing..." from SJ. 

Between leaks, Tim Cook's boring personality, and a generation of young consumer/bloggers who aren't wowed by tech any longer, these "product announcements" are real yawners. #AppleMagicIsGone

When Tim Cook takes the stage, his opening monologue should open with, "Well, due to Chinese labor leaks and U.S. developers who ignore confidentiality agreements, we no longer have anything left to surprise you with. Please go to the Apple Store and preorder your overpriced iDevice today."

And then Tim just drops the remote and leaves the stage. 
    Oh look, another one. Can’t wait until we become inundated with haters on Tuesday. 
    Solifastasleepwatto_cobraronn
  • Reply 34 of 66

X as I predicted (for what it is worth)...

Most probably it will be announced as "ten" because of the tenth anniversary of the iPhone. Then it will morph to "ecks" in popular parlance. Easier to say "the X model" than saying "tenth anniversary model".
    Sorry but no, Apple’s own KB article says it was pronounced “OS ten”:

https://support.apple.com/kb/TA22541?locale=en_US

https://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/mac-101-pronouncing-os-x/

It was both the tenth major Mac OS, and a sly nod to NeXT, UNIX, etc.. But pronounced ten, the major release version number it was. 
    edited September 2017 Solispheric
  • Reply 35 of 66
    mr squid said:
    fallenjt said:
    Please no! We killed OS X, and this is a backward step in my opinion. Use current branding of pro or edition.
    Just a name dude!
    The pro nomenclature has become tired, particularly since Apple's pro laptops are not particularly suited for many non-managerial professional  uses anymore.  Edition is a catchy name, but it does not really mean anything except to further the idea that Apple is a boutique brand.  Ultimately the name is irrelevant.  What matters is what the device can do.
    I guess you’d better tell all of us pro software devs we’re using them wrong? Speak for yourself. 
    Solifastasleepiqatedowatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mr squid said:
    fallenjt said:
    Just a name dude!
    I guess you’d better tell all of us pro software devs we’re using them wrong? Speak for yourself. 
    Currently using mine to put together a Python/Django website, and a hefty bit of Java development. 

And I'm speaking as someone who actually uses the machine, not as someone who read it was unsuitable and then parroted the same comment to be part of the herd. 
    StrangeDaysiqatedowatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Soli said:
    PS: Am I the only one that preferred to say it as |  ō es eks |?
    I have literally never spoken to anyone who said "oh ess ten." Ever. That means either I've never spoken about the OS to anyone who was in an official capacity, or that if I did we referred to it by its name (ex. Mavericks, Sierra, etc.), or that calling it "oh ess ex" is all but ubiquitous.

i was surprised to learn from the article that "ten" is correct and "ex" isn't.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

say Mac OS X
    say X marks the spot
    What would it say? mac OS "ecks"? Pronuncing it as "Ten" is the most comprehensible way. But that is just the pronunciation of a symbol, not the meaning of the symbol.
    Now you're saying that pronouncing it as 10 is the most comprehensible way, but you just fucking wrote, "Why OS X 10.1 10.2 10.3 then if X already denotes 10. After 9 comes 10 not X," trying to argue that it wouldn't pronounced 10. You people can't even keep your argument straight for 10 fucking minute.s
    For X fucking minutes you mean.
    StrangeDaysanantksundaramSoliSpamSandwich
  • Reply 39 of 66
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Like this if you are bored with the X vs 10 debate. 
    fastasleepanantksundaramSoliiqatedoradarthekatwatto_cobraronnwaverboydesignrspheric
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Soli said:
    PS: Am I the only one that preferred to say it as |  ō es eks |?
    I have literally never spoken to anyone who said "oh ess ten." Ever. That means either I've never spoken about the OS to anyone who was in an official capacity, or that if I did we referred to it by its name (ex. Mavericks, Sierra, etc.), or that calling it "oh ess ex" is all but ubiquitous.

i was surprised to learn from the article that "ten" is correct and "ex" isn't.
    My mac friends and podcasts say ten because it’s what came after System 9 and it’s what we’ve always heard it as. Not surprising since that’s what Apple refers to it as well. 
    fastasleep