iOS 11 firmware reveals apparent names of Apple's next phones: iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus & i...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:
    Let's see how Sog35 name and price the line up!

IPHONE X - 64GB $899, 256 GB $1049, 512 GB $1199

IPHONE 8 - 32GB $649

IPHONE 8 PLUS - 32GB $769

No way on earth is the iPhoneX going to start over $899. Trust me.
    Given there two distinct models then both of these models will almost certainly have multiple prices and storage. Apple are not positioning the X as their top line mass product replacing the 7 after all. This is a new elite category. If there is to be only one storage option for a model, which I think unlikely,  it will be for the X
    edited September 2017 SoggyBottom
  • Reply 42 of 66
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    OS X was X because of UNIX, not because of anything tenth.  X to denominate UNIX was common in the 90s.
    Can you back that up? I've always heard Apple say it as '10' and it came after Mac OS 9. In fact, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that the 'X' is because they wanted the last letter of the word Unix.
    Why OS X 10.1 10.2 10.3 then if X already denotes 10. After 9 comes 10 not X.
    1) After 9 does come 10, but X is the Roman numerals for 10. You really should've learned that as a child. Also, 0xA and 1010 also have a value of 10.

2) One is branding name and the other is version number.

3) I'd think if there was a reason for calling it 'X' it would be to pay homage to the dominate sound in NeXT.

4) You still haven't explained why Apple execs have always referred to it as '10'.

5) Try typing these into Terminal and then come back to tell me it's just an 17 year old bug.

say Mac OS X
    say X marks the spot
    say Mac OS X marks the spot
    What would it say? mac OS "ecks"? Pronuncing it as "Ten" is the most comprehensible way. But that is just the pronunciation of a symbol, not the meaning of the symbol.
    Now you're saying that pronouncing it as 10 is the most comprehensible way, but you just fucking wrote, "Why OS X 10.1 10.2 10.3 then if X already denotes 10. After 9 comes 10 not X," trying to argue that it wouldn't pronounced 10. You people can't even keep your argument straight for 10 fucking minute.s
    This...
  • Reply 43 of 66
    designr said:
    I've actually been wondering if/when they would drop the "i" and move to Phone (like Music, TV and Watch)...updating the name and bringing the Apple name and symbol to the epicenter more than the "phone" part. Personally I think it would be a cool. Steve would do it. Marketing probably won't allow it.
    There are some obsessive-compulsive types who need that kind of naming consistency or they'll go into a seizure, but fortunately, they don't work at Apple.  ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 66
    sog35 said:
    Like I've been saying for almost a year: iPhone X

it just makes too much sense.  Too much.

iPhone12 or iPhone13 sounds so awkward. And iPhone Edition? Hell no.

Apple needs to keep using number in the iPhone name because its easier for the general market to know if a new iPhone is out.  If Apple just called it iPhone/iPhone Plus/iPhone Edition/iPhone Pro, most people would have no idea if its a new iPhone or not.

Using iPhone X is the best solution. Then next year they called the new phone iPhone X1, then iPhone X2, etc.

Basically saying that the iPhone X is a whole new generation of iPhones separate from iPhone1-iPhone8.
    "If Apple just called it iPhone/iPhone Plus/iPhone Edition/iPhone Pro, most people would have no idea if its a new iPhone or not."

With iPad => iPad & iPad Pro
    With laptop => MB / MBP
    With Desktop => Mac Mini / iMac / iMac Pro / Mac Pro

None of these products have numbering and people seem to know what is new and what isn't.  Don't see any reason why Apple can't have iPhone SE / iPhone / iPhone X
    ronnnetmagewaverboyfastasleep
  • Reply 45 of 66
    Soli said:
    PS: Am I the only one that preferred to say it as |  ō es eks |?
    I have literally never spoken to anyone who said "oh ess ten." Ever. That means either I've never spoken about the OS to anyone who was in an official capacity, or that if I did we referred to it by its name (ex. Mavericks, Sierra, etc.), or that calling it "oh ess ex" is all but ubiquitous.

i was surprised to learn from the article that "ten" is correct and "ex" isn't.
    My mac friends and podcasts say ten because it’s what came after System 9 and it’s what we’ve always heard it as. Not surprising since that’s what Apple refers to it as well. 
    "My personal anecdote can beat up your personal anecdote."  :D

FWIW, I say "OS ten" as do others In my circle. The reason being, that's what Apple called it.
    Solironn
  • Reply 46 of 66
    The iPhone X might be replaced with the iPhone 9 next year, wouldn't that confuse the heck out of people?
    asdasd
  • Reply 47 of 66
    Then in 2019, it'll be back in the form of iPhone 10?
  • Reply 48 of 66
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    designr said:
    I've actually been wondering if/when they would drop the "i" and move to Phone (like Music, TV and Watch)...updating the name and bringing the Apple name and symbol to the epicenter more than the "phone" part. Personally I think it would be a cool. Steve would do it. Marketing probably won't allow it.
    Love this idea!  
    ronn
  • Reply 49 of 66
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:

IPHONE 8 - 32GB $649

Trust him, he says. Here are just three—only three!—of his other absolutely-correct-never-question-anything-I-say-because-I-know-Apple-better-than-anyone-else predictions over a very short time frame. At least other trolls are consistent with their claims. Fuck, even Rush Limbaugh won't say why's he’s evacuating Palm Beach days after suggesting Hurricane Irma is fake news.

• August 24, 2017 10:57AM - "iPhone X - Starts at $979 for 64GB"
    • August 24, 2017 11:43AM - "iPhoneX  32GB  $979,  128GB $1099, 256 GB $1199"
    • August 28, 2017 07:28AM - "iPhone X $949 - 128GB, $1049 256 GB, $1149 512 GB"
    New information surfaces.

YOu must admit I nailed the iPhone X name months ago, right?
    I predict Sog will predict the pricing, and many other details of the new iPhones and other products Apple will be releasing this fall, on the afternoon of Sept 12.  Because... new information surfaces.   😂😂
    Soliwatto_cobraronnwaverboy
  • Reply 50 of 66
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    designr said:
    Love this idea!  
    I wonder how quickly a GM can be re-mastered?
  • Reply 51 of 66
    sog35 said:

sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:

IPHONE 8 - 32GB $649

Trust him, he says. Here are just three—only three!—of his other absolutely-correct-never-question-anything-I-say-because-I-know-Apple-better-than-anyone-else predictions over a very short time frame. At least other trolls are consistent with their claims. Fuck, even Rush Limbaugh won't say why's he’s evacuating Palm Beach days after suggesting Hurricane Irma is fake news.

I predict Sog will predict the pricing, and many other details of the new iPhones and other products Apple will be releasing this fall, on the afternoon of Sept 12.  Because... new information surfaces.   ߘⰟ肦lt;/div>
    Come on bro.

The new information was the name iPhone8 for the mid range phone. Thus I had to change the price.  IF it was going to be called the iPhone 7s then Apple would use a price below $649. But since its the iPhone 8 it will be $649.

all in the details 
    Come on.  Your 'predictions' aren't all that impressive, even in the rare occasion when what you say turns out to be true.  Because you didn't predict iPhone X.  You merely agreed with that name after hearing it among the other predicted names that have come along.  To predict is to be the first, or at least to make a prediction concurrent with others making the same prediction, without being aware of the prediction having been made by anyone else.  I predicted a fanless MacBook, and predicted the return of the MacBook name, which had been retired by Apple many years before the return of that model.  I made my predictions about 18 months before that product was released.  Perhaps others made that same prediction, but it wasn't being talked about here or in the other Apple rumor sites at that time.  That was back in the days when you were predicting Apple's stock price would hit $150 by the end of that year.  And promised to self ban for a year if it didn't.  You lost all credibility with many here on that one.  Excoriating Cook for more than a year and calling for his head was your other epic fail.  Those of us who had reasonable insight could infer that big things were in the works, and next week's demos of ARKit, which has been in the works for years bears us out.  As does Swift, Metal, a soon to come Apple GPU, likely with an AI engine, etc, all produced from years of groundwork being laid under Cook's leadership.  You try to excuse yourself for those days, saying Cook could have done even more, that the larger screen iPhones should have come earlier, but you are fooling none.  At best, what you represent is a hack; a person who has little real insight but believes he knows better than most. 
    edited September 2017 SoliStrangeDaysRonnnieOwaverboyfastasleep
  • Reply 52 of 66
    Even though iPhone X seems a bit retrograde in the naming department, as a 10th anniversary model, it's an instant collectors item. They'll sell every one of them guaranteed and the after sale market will see prices go through the roof.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    OS X was X because of UNIX, not because of anything tenth.  X to denominate UNIX was common in the 90s.
    Can you back that up? I've always heard Apple say it as '10' and it came after Mac OS 9. In fact, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that the 'X' is because they wanted the last letter of the word Unix.
    Why OS X 10.1 10.2 10.3 then if X already denotes 10. After 9 comes 10 not X.
    1) After 9 does come 10, but X is the Roman numerals for 10. You really should've learned that as a child. Also, 0xA and 1010 also have a value of 10.

2) One is branding name and the other is version number.

3) I'd think if there was a reason for calling it 'X' it would be to pay homage to the dominate sound in NeXT.

4) You still haven't explained why Apple execs have always referred to it as '10'.

5) Try typing these into Terminal and then come back to tell me it's just an 17 year old bug.

say Mac OS X
    say X marks the spot
    say Mac OS X marks the spot
    What would it say? mac OS "ecks"? Pronuncing it as "Ten" is the most comprehensible way. But that is just the pronunciation of a symbol, not the meaning of the symbol.
    Now you're saying that pronouncing it as 10 is the most comprehensible way, but you just fucking wrote, "Why OS X 10.1 10.2 10.3 then if X already denotes 10. After 9 comes 10 not X," trying to argue that it wouldn't pronounced 10. You people can't even keep your argument straight for 10 fucking minute.s
    For X fucking minutes you mean.
    Oh, my. That gave me a huge laugh... a welcome thing after an awful day.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 54 of 66
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:

IPHONE 8 - 32GB $649

I predict Sog will predict the pricing, and many other details of the new iPhones and other products Apple will be releasing this fall, on the afternoon of Sept 12.  Because... new information surfaces.   ߘⰟ肦lt;/div>
    Come on bro.

The new information was the name iPhone8 for the mid range phone. Thus I had to change the price.  IF it was going to be called the iPhone 7s then Apple would use a price below $649. But since its the iPhone 8 it will be $649.

all in the details 
    Come on.  Your 'predictions' aren't all that impressive, even in the rare occasion when what you say turns out to be true.  Because you didn't predict iPhone X.  You merely agreed with that name after hearing it among the other predicted names that have come along.  To predict is to be the first, or at least to make a prediction concurrent with others making the same prediction, without being aware of the prediction having been made by anyone else.  I predicted a fanless MacBook, and predicted the return of the MacBook name, which had been retired by Apple many years before the return of that model.  I made my predictions about 18 months before that product was released.  Perhaps others made that same prediction, but it wasn't being talked about here or in the other Apple rumor sites at that time.  That was back in the days when you were predicting Apple's stock price would hit $150 by the end of that year.  And promised to self ban for a year if it didn't.  You lost all credibility with many here on that one.  Excoriating Cook for more than a year and calling for his head was your other epic fail.  Those of us who had reasonable insight could infer that big things were in the works, and next week's demos of ARKit, which has been in the works for years bears us out.  As does Swift, Metal, a soon to come Apple GPU, likely with an AI engine, etc, all produced from years of groundwork being laid under Cook's leadership.  You try to excuse yourself for those days, saying Cook could have done even more, that the larger screen iPhones should have come earlier, but you are fooling none.  At best, what you represent is a hack; a person who has little real insight but believes he knows better than most. 
    Nope.

I've predicted the name iPhone X over a year ago.  Even when all the media started caling it iPhone8. 

Stop trying to poopoo my prediction.

I also predicted small bezel iphones 2 years ago and the deletion of the home button
    No, your predictions are shit because all you do is jump on established bandwagons. Especially on established stock price trends. Previously to the upward trend, nobody will forget how you threw tantrum after tantrum and called for Cook to be fired just because the stock was down. You pretend now that he met your demands but we all know that’s a lie. At the time you foolishly called for him to be fired they were hard at work on the products publicly revealed later to your pleasure. Had he been fired when you demanded over and over it would have caused great instability and duress. Your judgement is quite poor and wisdom lacking. You aren’t fit to run Apple but that’s ok, few of us are, and that’s why we’re here on a rumors forum and guys like Cook are doing the actual work we comment on. 
    radarthekatnetmageSoliRonnnieOwaverboy
  • Reply 55 of 66
    sog35 said:
    Next years phone will be called the iPhone X1
    iPhone XS. Pronounced “excess.” Or “zhhhhssss…”
    radarthekatSpamSandwich
  • Reply 56 of 66
    asdasd said:
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:

IPHONE 8 - 32GB $649

Given there two distinct models then both of these models will almost certainly have multiple prices and storage. Apple are not positioning the X as their top line mass product replacing the 7 after all. This is a new elite category. If there is to be only one storage option for a model, which I think unlikely,  it will be for the X
    I am so looking forward to Tuesday. I upgrade EVERY year not that I need to but because I CAN. The indignity i suffered last year because no one could see I had the latest and greatest iPhone. I'm so glad they'll be a big differentiator this year with the iPhone X. Everyone will see I have the latest and greatest iPhone.

I totally applaud Tim Cook's decision to create a new elite category for the iPhone. Successful elite people can distance themselves from the lower classes who can only buy the 8 and 8 Plus. It'll show that only people of a better class can have the X version. Totally love this new direction for Apple. Will have my card ready to buy the 512gb X when pre-orders start!
  • Reply 57 of 66
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    asdasd said:
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:

IPHONE 8 - 32GB $649

I am so looking forward to Tuesday. I upgrade EVERY year not that I need to but because I CAN. The indignity i suffered last year because no one could see I had the latest and greatest iPhone. I'm so glad they'll be a big differentiator this year with the iPhone X. Everyone will see I have the latest and greatest iPhone.

I totally applaud Tim Cook's decision to create a new elite category for the iPhone. Successful elite people can distance themselves from the lower classes who can only buy the 8 and 8 Plus. It'll show that only people of a better class can have the X version. Totally love this new direction for Apple. Will have my card ready to buy the 512gb X when pre-orders start!
    Its a tough old capitalist world alright. 
    SoggyBottom
  • Reply 58 of 66
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:

IPHONE 8 - 32GB $649

Totally right mate!  People need to understand this is the new model going forward.  Owning an iPhone isn't a right it's a privilege.  If you can't afford it then you aren't in Apple's target market, go buy a Moto G or something.  Apple needs to get back to it's roots and hammer the message home it's a premium brand.  It's a premium brand for premium people 

• Reply 59 of 66
    SoggyBottom said:
    [...] It's a premium brand for premium people  
    Don't worry, I'm sure they'll sell you one anyway.
    radarthekatSpamSandwich
  • Reply 60 of 66
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:

IPHONE 8 - 32GB $649

Totally right mate!  People need to understand this is the new model going forward.  Owning an iPhone isn't a right it's a privilege.  If you can't afford it then you aren't in Apple's target market, go buy a Moto G or something.  Apple needs to get back to it's roots and hammer the message home it's a premium brand.  It's a premium brand for premium people 

You aren't a banker are you?