Further delves into the leaked iOS 11 'gold master' reveal Face ID setup animation

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has been suspected of replacing Touch ID on the iPhone X with FaceID -- and looking deeper into the iOS 11 firmware has revealed details on how FaceID setup will likely work.

Guilherme Rambo tweeted some of the setup steps, which include enrolling a face and being asked to move your head around gently, in order to complete a circle that surrounds your face.

Can't stop watching this Face ID setup animation from the leaked iOS 11 GM build. So cute! pic.twitter.com/SMvjFo7Was

-- Mike Rundle (@flyosity)

Users with an iPhone X will likely just look at the camera to authenticate, aligning the face with the line drawing overlaid on the screen. When the iPhone makes a positive identification, an animation spins and is replaced with a smiling line drawing.

Face ID enrollment process (with layout issues on first page) pic.twitter.com/KczOHEy9ir

-- Guilherme Rambo (@_inside)

Authenticating with FaceID looks like this (timing not correct because it's just the UI, not actual auth) pic.twitter.com/kvNUARDQBJ

-- Guilherme Rambo (@_inside)

Previously, AppleInsider reported that FaceID may be able to perform the facial scanning even when the phone is laying flat on the table.

Apple is expected to announce three new iPhones with the high-end OLED model, and two other devices expected at a Sept. 12 press event. Also predicted is a refresh of the adding 4K video as a playback option, and an LTE-equipped Apple Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    "Enroll Face"?

I could be wrong, but this setup does not look like TouchID is going to be included. 

And if this fella is saying that you have to look directly at the phone to authenticate with FaceID, then TouchID had better be included.  
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 2 of 41
    From the enrollment leak it is clear that you don’t need to look directly at the camera to authenticate. The emoji is even looking sideway.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Rayz2016 said:
    ...And if this fella is saying that you have to look directly at the phone to authenticate with FaceID, then TouchID had better be included.  
    The process described *might* be to authenticate Apple Pay, whereas to unlock your iPhone, or other task with lesser security requirements, "previously reported by AI that Face ID may able to preform the facial scanning even when the phone is laying flat on a table."
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Rayz2016 said:
    "Enroll Face"?

I could be wrong, but this setup does not look like TouchID is going to be included. 

not at all. Touch ID could be on another screen
    doozydozennbuchert
  • Reply 5 of 41

Rayz2016 said:
    ...And if this fella is saying that you have to look directly at the phone to authenticate with FaceID, then TouchID had better be included.  
    The process described *might* be to authenticate Apple Pay, whereas to unlock your iPhone, or other task with lesser security requirements, "previously reported by AI that Face ID may able to preform the facial scanning even when the phone is laying flat on a table."
    actually the absence of touch id might be due to the contracts with the banks. if Apple spelled out Touch ID or passcode in the contract then they might not be able to use this Face ID for such purposes
    cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 41
    I still can't believe they went with Face ID... Touch ID isn't called "Finger ID" fer cryin' out loud.

They could've called it Look ID, Smile ID, Me ID or something else. "Face" isn't an action.
    edited September 2017 doozydozencornchip
  • Reply 7 of 41
    I still can't believe they went with Face ID... Touch ID isn't called "Finger ID" fer cryin' out loud.

They could've called it Look ID, Smile ID, Me ID or something else. "Face" isn't an action.
    Everyone stand and face the front of the room....
    fastasleepcornchipbrian greenRayz2016peterhartsteveauStrangeDays[Deleted User]
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Rayz2016 said:
    "Enroll Face"?

Unlikely. The title of the Settings pane is "FaceID & Passcode". That's all we get.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Honestly, this Guilherme guy is pretty fucking annoying. Like, going through every line of code to try and spoil as much as possible. Yeah I know he's getting some internet fame for this, but the event is a few days away and he's ruining surprises for a ton of people. What's the point of revealing this stuff? I woudn't publicize it even if I found out.  Basically you can't avoid this stuff when it gets on the internet. 
  • Reply 10 of 41
    A tad creepy. t-ID must still be included.

WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE
  • Reply 11 of 41
    kevin kee said:
    From the enrollment leak it is clear that you don’t need to look directly at the camera to authenticate. The emoji is even looking sideway.
    The enrolment is different to the actual authentication. According to this fella, you need to get your face inside the onscreen guides. If that's the case you need to get your phone or your face into the right position. If that's the case (and I really would like to be wrong) then that's going to be an awkward scenario at the NFC terminal. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 12 of 41

Rayz2016 said:
    "Enroll Face"?

Unlikely. The title of the Settings pane is "FaceID & Passcode". That's all we get.
    Agreed. I don't see them putting "FaceID and Passcode" on one screen and then "TouchID" on another.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Yuk! Sadly, all these rumor sites are happy to publish the leak. Yes, you too Apple Insider! it's all about the clicks. I'm not even reading any of this. I'll wait for Tuesday. Apple should ban all these sites from attending on Tuesday, after all the event is streamed anyway. It's no longer 2005 where we depend on bloggers! LOL. That would be glorious! 

/rant over
    doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Okay, might not be as bad as it sounds. 

Reading the first Twitter comment, the fella says he's not sure that a preview of your face will appear on the screen. That is a very important detail: without the preview then there is no need to line up your face inside the guide. 
  • Reply 15 of 41
    slurpy said:
    Honestly, this Guilherme guy is pretty fucking annoying. Like, going through every line of code to try and spoil as much as possible. Yeah I know he's getting some internet fame for this, but the event is a few days away and he's ruining surprises for a ton of people.  
    Umm ... if you didn't know what's going to be happening in a few days time than why are you on an Apple rumour's site?
  • Reply 16 of 41
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member

Yea, and that's part of the problem... I don't want some algo trying to decide when I'm intending to unlock/authorize vs a deliberate action. Even if it works incredibly well, there seems to be a basic workflow / UX problem.  Maybe it will be something like smile, frown, two left eye blinks, wiggle your right ear... and that authorizes buying the Frappuccino?
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Rayz2016 said:
    Okay, might not be as bad as it sounds. 

Reading the first Twitter comment, the fella says he's not sure that a preview of your face will appear on the screen. That is a very important detail: without the preview then there is no need to line up your face inside the guide. 
    But he also says the glyph/animation is there. AppleInsider too has interpreted this as "aligning the face with the line drawing". Obviously it requires some sort of alignment.

Anyway, that may be a sample code or similar. Let's hope the real authentication is seamless...
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 18 of 41
    cgWerks said:

Yea, and that's part of the problem... I don't want some algo trying to decide when I'm intending to unlock/authorize vs a deliberate action. Even if it works incredibly well, there seems to be a basic workflow / UX problem.  Maybe it will be something like smile, frown, two left eye blinks, wiggle your right ear... and that authorizes buying the Frappuccino?
    It'll work the same as TouchID: you will need to press or touch a button to activate it. This is probably why the power button has doubled in size for no apparent reason. 
  • Reply 19 of 41
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Rayz2016 said:
    It'll work the same as TouchID: you will need to press or touch a button to activate it. This is probably why the power button has doubled in size for no apparent reason. 
    So, you mean.... something like it will detect your face and then offer to unlock/pay... and then anyone could press the power button to confirm?
    Or, do you mean it will have TouchID built into the power button? (In which case, what's the point of Face ID?)
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 20 of 41
    cgWerks said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    So, you mean.... something like it will detect your face and then offer to unlock/pay... and then anyone could press the power button to confirm?
    Or, do you mean it will have TouchID built into the power button? (In which case, what's the point of Face ID?)
    A code string revealed after a previous leak (HomePod firmware) points to multi biometrics: canPerformMultiBiometrics. We can assume at some point both TouchID and FaceID may coexist.