Rumor: iOS 11 GM leaked by disgruntled employee [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    I don't feel like the surprises were "spoiled" by this leak. We had lots of ideas what might be coming already from previous rumors and leaks.

Look at FaceID as an example. We don't know how fast it is, what angles it works from or how secure it is. These are all things that could be demoed and still offer some wow factor.

RealFace claimed identical twins couldn't fool it. Imagine Apple bringing out 5 sets of identical twins each with their own iPhone and with the same haircut/style. Then swapping iPhones with each other and finding out they won't unlock. Then swapping back and they instantly unlock. It would be a powerful demonstration of the security of FaceID.

We've also found out that the rumored 4K/60 and 1080P/240 modes are present and there's some new portrait/lighting modes. While we know the modes we haven't seen actual footage. There are a lot of things that could bring a massive improvement to the camera thanks to rumored AI. Like image stabilization, exposure or focus tracking. We also don't know if all cameras have optical image stabilization, how many pixels they have or the f-stop rating. Lots of potential wow factor here as well.

Speaking of AI, the A11 is a huge unknown (except the name, Mistral). If it has a neural processor, what is Apple using it for? Offline Siri? In association with differential privacy to provide more context aware information? Power management?  Some other unknown?

So while some features have been leaked, the fine details of each are still unknown. 
    Right on! You make for some good peep-talk. Much appreciation, I got my excitement back. 
    edited September 2017 watto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 22 of 57
    the grinch who stole christmas
  • Reply 23 of 57
    "At the moment, there is a notion that FaceID is the best they could do because they couldn't get the fingerprint reader to work under the screen. A "twins" demo would blow that notion clear out of the water."

If the FaceID camera is good enough to differentiate the faces of twins, couldn't it be used to scan your fingerprint just by holding your finger in front if the camera? 
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    crosslad said:
    "At the moment, there is a notion that FaceID is the best they could do because they couldn't get the fingerprint reader to work under the screen. A "twins" demo would blow that notion clear out of the water."

If the FaceID camera is good enough to differentiate the faces of twins, couldn't it be used to scan your fingerprint just by holding your finger in front if the camera? 
    It's not the camera doing the differentiating; it's the software, so I'm guessing you'd need different software to recognise a finger in the same way.  Besides, holding your finger in front of the camera is awkward. 
  • Reply 25 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The leak additionally revealed splash screens for apps showing us exactly what the thin software bar looks like.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 26 of 57
    Looking forward to Tuesday.

Rumour site getting conscious about leakers.. There's some sort of irony in that. Like there's proper rumours, and dirty rumours?
    It's all kinda dirty, isn't it?
    doozydozenSpamSandwichmagman1979
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Why has there been no mention or further elaboration regarding the "Wireless" charging feature/capability of the iPhone X? Every other rumor/feature has been regurgitated AdNauseum.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    A leak that helped no one and hurt everyone. Coming as close to the actual announcement as it did, it was simply a spoiler for the event. I really miss the surprise and excitement of the Apple product events. Now they are just marketing statements about products and features we all already know about. Remember when that iPhone 4 Gizmodo got their hands on was a big story? Now just about anyone can buy a highly accurate manufacturing samples from China. Apple needs to invest heavily in domestic factories staffed mainly by robots and well paid technicians who can keep secrets. That would kill many birds with one stone. As a (major) bonus the robot technology Apple develops can be sold to consumers as household robots at some stage. Get on it Apple!
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    grangerfx said:
    A leak that helped no one and hurt everyone. Coming as close to the actual announcement as it did, it was simply a spoiler for the event. I really miss the surprise and excitement of the Apple product events. Now they are just marketing statements about products and features we all already know about. Remember when that iPhone 4 Gizmodo got their hands on was a big story? Now just about anyone can buy a highly accurate manufacturing samples from China. Apple needs to invest heavily in domestic factories staffed mainly by robots and well paid technicians who can keep secrets. That would kill many birds with one stone. As a (major) bonus the robot technology Apple develops can be sold to consumers as household robots at some stage. Get on it Apple!
    Why would the domestic technicians be any more trustworthy than Chinese ones? This leak came from an Apple employee, not a factory worker. 
    magman1979
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Who cares.

This would have been a boring keynote anyways.

And the ugliness of this iPhone shows that Jony's been phoning it in lately.

• Reply 31 of 57
    slurpy said:
    This piece of trash belongs in jail. 
    Come on.  I understand that this phone is one of the ugliest things Apple has done since the Mac LC era.

But still, it doesn't belong in jail.  

Hopefully the next iPhone will bring the good looks back.
    edited September 2017 macplusplus
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Speaking for myself, I am as excited about Tuesday as I was before these most recent 'confirmations'. The only ones likely to be very disappointed are those who have not been paying attention to rumor sites in the last few weeks. 

People getting bent bent out of shape about 'X' versus '8'? Or the fact that an LTE Watch, new AppleTV, and HomePods are being introduced? Really? iPhone colors that have pretty much been telegraphed? Really?

(The new iPad virtual keyboard sucks. Seriously sucks). 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 33 of 57
    the grinch who stole christmas
    Fairly apt; just like the Grinch, it will be given back tomorrow.
    mobird said:
    Why has there been no mention or further elaboration regarding the "Wireless" charging feature/capability of the iPhone X?
    Maybe that's not what it was. Maybe it's for a different product (who knows what it'd be though). Maybe Apple is able to keep THAT a secret somehow. Wasn't there a Tim Cook keynote in the last few years where they hit us with at least two completely unexpected surprises? I can't remember when or what that was.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 34 of 57
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Apple should just refuse access to all the sites which covered the leak and reported the info posted by Rambo and Troughton-Smith etc.  Put them on a 10 year blacklist.
    magman1979patchythepirate
  • Reply 35 of 57
    While yes it sucks stuff was leaked, I don't think everything is lost by this. We still don't know how it works, whats in these supposed products, etc. Honestly, I didn't even fully read the articles about the leaked information on purpose because I do like the element of surprise. It's like someone telling you what you got for Christmas on Christmas Eve. In this case...we only have an idea of what were getting for Christmas, but not the complete story. There are still a lot of unknowns. Maybe in someway...it makes me more excited because I kinda know what's going on, but I don't have the whole story so it makes me even more interested. 

Regardless...I'm still very excited for Tuesday. I hope this event is a knock out of the park for Apple. 

And...I would still really like for Apple to release some kind of documentary on Apple Music or something of the building of Apple Park. Not some 10-15 minute documentary, but a FULL documentary from the original design, presentation to the board, city council, and then the actual building of Apple Park from start to finish. 
    edited September 2017 magman1979
  • Reply 36 of 57
    irnchriz said:
    Apple should just refuse access to all the sites which covered the leak and reported the info posted by Rambo and Troughton-Smith etc.  Put them on a 10 year blacklist.
    Gizmodo's already off the blacklist, I think, and they actually bought stolen industrial secrets. No idea what Apple's thinking.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    irnchriz said:
    Leo Laporte of This Week In Tech (formerly from Tech TV) has been on Apple's caca list ever since he held his MacBook Pro up in the air during a keynote to record Steve Jobs. I think he's permanently persona non grata.
    magman1979
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Disgruntled EX-employee. 
    magman1979
  • Reply 39 of 57
    And the ugliness of this iPhone shows that Jony's been phoning it in lately.
    That would've been funny if you actually meant to make a joke.
    Rayz2016magman1979
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Disgruntled?? Spoiled that's what that employee was... obviously working w apple is a privilege for most of them.