What to expect from Apple's Sept. 12 event: iPhone X & 8, Apple Watch with LTE, 4K Apple T...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    avon b7 said:
    Apple will bemoan the leaks I'm sure, but also accept that you can't design and manufacture a device for almost immediate availability to millions of users without having thousands of people 'in the know'. It can and does try to reduce leaks, and truth be told, is surprisingly good at it but big surprises are hard to give.
    Well, and the only one that should really care about keeping stuff secret is Apple. And, in the grand scheme at this point, I'm not even sure why that's such a big deal (it might have been when they were the underdog). And, as others have pointed out... this whole try to keep a secret/try to discover it media frenzy is insanely beneficial to Apple. It might be purposeful, actually.
  • Reply 22 of 80
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    cgWerks said:
    Well, and the only one that should really care about keeping stuff secret is Apple. And, in the grand scheme at this point, I'm not even sure why that's such a big deal (it might have been when they were the underdog). And, as others have pointed out... this whole try to keep a secret/try to discover it media frenzy is insanely beneficial to Apple. It might be purposeful, actually.
    I wouldn't go as far as saying Apple would intentionally leak new product information. When they have something that's beneficial to pre-announce, like iMac Pro and HomePod, they will present it. But for most everything else it's usually in Apple's best interest to keep it secret because it builds anticipation and interest while minimizing detracting from the current products available for sale. The most important part of the equation, however, is that Apple stay 100% focused on building highly compelling products that deliver something from the "surprise." If Apple's "surprises" turned out to be ho-hum their would be no desire to discover what's coming beforehand. Sometimes this happens even for Apple, but their batting average for turning surprises or even leaked surprises into things that customers really end up loving is pretty darn good.

If the drama is too much for you, think about the alternatives. Remember all the Microsoft product "visions" and "roadmaps" where they'd lay out elaborate product/playform plans for several years in advance? Too often than not the products/platforms coming out of these roadmaps were delayed, never happened, or fell kind of flat once they were actually delivered. Repeatedly failing to deliver or overpromising led to decaying interest with each new cycle of promises. No matter the quantity or value of the swag handed out to journalists and developers the house of cards built around these ineffectual roadmaps came tumbling down. 

Apple's got a good thing going with their secrecy and surprise model and we all get to enjoy it. The fun never stops.
    edited September 2017 StrangeDayscgWerks
  • Reply 23 of 80
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    But seriously...In light of Irma and Harvey, perhaps Apple will consider postponing the event, rather than show up and announce things only "really" available for pre back order anyway. It could be a welcome distraction for the people following along on their smartphones, 12 hours away from home, with limited power but it cloud also make millions of people feel disrespected and be aggravated to be missing out on Apple. Thousands more seem likely to viscerally react to talk about "water proof" watches that run out of power after a couple days. Bad timing.
    Why? Has Apple canceled any other event because of a natural disaster happening somewhere in the world? You realize that Harvey and Irma combined will ruin much fewer lives than the floods affecting India, Bangladesh, and Nepal, right? I know this because that's affecting over 40 million people, or about the entire populations of both Texas and Florida. I'd bet there are people that are reading this comment that didn't even know about the 1200+ lives lost or any of the massive destruction happenings in Asia, so when should Apple hold an event? When there's nothing bad going on in the world? Has that ever happened? If so, how do you plan for it months in advance?

The only thing Apple needs to be concerned with it is whether their theater is working and attendees can arrive.
    canukstormStrangeDaystmayfastasleepbluefire1pscooter63asdasd
  • Reply 24 of 80
    Soli said:
    But seriously...In light of Irma and Harvey, perhaps Apple will consider postponing the event, rather than show up and announce things only "really" available for pre back order anyway. It could be a welcome distraction for the people following along on their smartphones, 12 hours away from home, with limited power but it cloud also make millions of people feel disrespected and be aggravated to be missing out on Apple. Thousands more seem likely to viscerally react to talk about "water proof" watches that run out of power after a couple days. Bad timing.
    Why? 
    If you have to ask, I can't tell you. Go throw a televised party while millions of Americans are suffering and see what they think of you.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    Soli said:
    Why? 
    If you have to ask, I can't tell you. Go throw a televised party while millions of Americans are suffering and see what they think of you.
    As previously stated, there are "televised" parties every day on the planet every day "while millions of Americans are suffering" and yet they still happen. Why don't you tell me why Apple should shut down this one, but not any of the other ones that they've done?

Do you know the Autumn always occurs during Hurricane season? Yeah, scientists have studied the climate long enough to know where and when storms will occur to the point that us Floridans have a season for it. 
    patchythepiratefastasleeppscooter63muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 80
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Soli said:
    Why? 
    Nice fucking straw man, asshole.
    If I was a moderator, I would ban you for unacceptable behavior. If those same moderators want to ban me for my language fine; my life will go on.

Apple is  a global company. By your reckoning, there are few given days where millions of people aren't suffering, whether in America or worldwide. There are so many people dying in floods worldwide just today, that the toll is uncountable, yet actual fatalities due to both Harvey and Irma, are expected to be less than a hundred total in America. I would add, that the whole of the Northwest is suffering from smoke from so many fires, that it is likely a record for acres burning in any single day, and lots of people are suffering.

Life goes on.
    edited September 2017 Solipatchythepiratefastasleeppscooter63asdasdboltsfan17
  • Reply 27 of 80
    I think that Tim  Cook will be mentionning Harvey, Irma and potentially some Apple initiatives/financial aid/global warming...just my guess
    StrangeDaystmay
  • Reply 28 of 80
    Ever since Job's last iPhone reveal, every iPhone reveal has been dull and boring.  In general I believe the last 7 years or so, the iPhone has been more of the same.  Newer models simply more of the same people expects and less in new features.  When's the last time an Apple product amazes you out of box?    iPhone has the same screen resolution for so many years.  Battery life has been getting worse each year and Apple has not found ways to improve or simply add a bigger battery. 

They took the headphone jack away and gave us a tiny increase in battery size?  Give me an option to get the headphone jack back.

This year they will give wireless charging which I rarely use on the Android because it's so goddam slow.  I much rather have the OnePlus's Dash charging which I love, I can charge my phone to almost full in under an hour.  

Samsung had the facial scan 2 years ago and nobody cared because it's simply STUPID to have to face your phone to unlock.  

Say goodbye to waking up in the morning and just put your finger on the iPhone to unlock.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 80
    Soli said:
    Why? 
    But this isn't a party. It's a tech product announcement. It's business.
    edited September 2017 pscooter63
  • Reply 30 of 80
    vision33r said:
    Ever since Job's last iPhone reveal, every iPhone reveal has been dull and boring.  In general I believe the last 7 years or so, the iPhone has been more of the same.  Newer models simply more of the same people expects and less in new features.  When's the last time an Apple product amazes you out of box?    iPhone has the same screen resolution for so many years.  Battery life has been getting worse each year and Apple has not found ways to improve or simply add a bigger battery. 

They took the headphone jack away and gave us a tiny increase in battery size?  Give me an option to get the headphone jack back.

This year they will give wireless charging which I rarely use on the Android because it's so goddam slow.  I much rather have the OnePlus's Dash charging which I love, I can charge my phone to almost full in under an hour.  

Samsung had the facial scan 2 years ago and nobody cared because it's simply STUPID to have to face your phone to unlock.  

Say goodbye to waking up in the morning and just put your finger on the iPhone to unlock.  
    Nice trolling, but I can only give you a 7.4 out of 10 for the effort. 

Perhaps you're just out of practice?
    StrangeDaysfastasleepasdasdronnstompy
  • Reply 31 of 80
    vision33r said:

So much nonsense. But let's go over your troll tropes, shall we:

- The original iPhone was a revolutionary product, and naturally subsequent models will be evolutionary. That's the long-established pattern of how Apple rolls. Same with iPods and Macs before this. So what?

- Each iteration of an evolutionary product makes it dramatically better over a span of years. Today's iPhone 7 blows the original out of the water, feature-wise and performance-wise. Not even close.

- Battery life has been getting better, not worse. Size has also increased.

- There is a headphone jack on the iPhone. It uses the lightning port for a digital protocol. The legacy analog port is not necessary for most people. Free headphones in the box use the new port, and there's an adapter for old headphones. 

- We have no idea what/which/how Apple will be doing wireless charging. 

- Samsung's face scanning was shit because it's a shit implementation by a shitty knockoff company. No wonder you don't like it. Obviously Apple's will be much better.

- How can you use your phone in the morning without looking at it? If you're looking at it, you'll be able to unlock it with Face ID. 

- Ah, you're an android user. It all makes sense now.

...final Troll Score™: 4.2 of 10. Sorry. I believe you need the updated troll talking points -- please find the new & revised FUD packet under your seat.
    edited September 2017 tmaySolilkruppmontrosemacswilliamlondonpscooter63
  • Reply 32 of 80
    vision33r said:

TROLL ALERT: 17 visits in 8 years and 189 posts. -43 points? How are points tallied, anyone know?

tmayStrangeDayslkrupp
  • Reply 33 of 80
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    dewme said:
    I wouldn't go as far as saying Apple would intentionally leak new product information. When they have something that's beneficial to pre-announce, like iMac Pro and HomePod, they will present it. But for most everything else it's usually in Apple's best interest to keep it secret...
    I mostly agree with what you've said, but look at all the coverage they get when there are leaks... I think it's more than the anticipation coverage. It's just a hunch, but there might be some purposeful leaking. This one seems a bit much, though. re: iMac Pro, they kind of had to do something there to get people to put the pitchforks down. Whole different situation.

vision33r said:
    When's the last time an Apple product amazes you out of box?  
    I don't even need to be amazed each time (though I somewhat agree that I used to be amazed more often, and wouldn't dream of missing one of these events if I could help it.... I haven't even watched the last few). I'm just hoping I'm not going... no, no, NO!
  • Reply 34 of 80
    Well, since everything has been leaked, the only thing I'm looking forward to is the iFixIt teardowns.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 35 of 80
    If anything the leaks only give more questions than answers, so IMHO, things are actually looking better for 12th announcement.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    lkrupp said:
    So happy that AI and other tech sites are spoiling the announcements. Must make you proud to walk into this event snickering, knowing everything ahead of time. You can even  be pre-disappointed in the products too. Do you all have your headlines and bylines written already?  Hell, none of us even need to watch the event live. What would be the point? There should be plenty of unused bandwidth for the streaming since we could be watching WWE Wrestling instead. 

I think you are being a little too harsh and unfair on tech sites. I know from your posting history that you are a passionate Apple fan and can understand your frustration with the leaks that are happening.

But you have to understand that all news and rumour sites thrive on leaks and spoilers. The HomePod firmware leak and the iOS 11 GM leak are the stuff of nightmares for Apple and the stuff of dreams for these sites.

I do not visit any other Apple-centric site besides AI. I just check a regular feed on the MacHash app. But if AI didn't cover the leaks, I'd probably be pretty pissed because I expect AI to cover these things. I can make my decision on whether or not to read an article based on what it covers.

Even if every single thing is known, there is still something magical about watching these events.

And remember, nothing in the world is so bad that you need to watch WWE! With The Undertaker retired, there really is nothing left there!

P.S. It's DED whose attending. He's the last person who'll enter the hall pre-disappointed. In fact, he's probably the first person walking in pre-euphoric with what is to come.

edited September 2017 Solitmaypscooter63
  • Reply 37 of 80
    lkrupp said:
    So happy that AI and other tech sites are spoiling the announcements. Must make you proud to walk into this event snickering, knowing everything ahead of time. You can even  be pre-disappointed in the products too. Do you all have your headlines and bylines written already?  Hell, none of us even need to watch the event live. What would be the point? There should be plenty of unused bandwidth for the streaming since we could be watching WWE Wrestling instead. 

I think you are being a little too harsh and unfair on tech sites. I know from your posting history that you are a passionate Apple fan and can understand your frustration with the leaks that are happening.

But you have to understand that all news and rumour sites thrive on leaks and spoilers. The HomePod firmware leak and the iOS 11 GM leak are the stuff of nightmares for Apple and the stuff of dreams for these sites.

I do not visit any other Apple-centric site besides AI. I just check a regular feed on the MacHash app. But if AI didn't cover the leaks, I'd probably be pretty pissed because I expect AI to cover these things. I can make my decision on whether or not to read an article based on what it covers.

Even if every single thing is known, there is still something magical about watching these events.

And remember, nothing in the world is so bad that you need to watch WWE! With The Undertaker retired, there really is nothing left there!

P.S. It's DED whose attending. He's the last person who'll enter the hall pre-disappointed. In fact, he's probably the first person walking in pre-euphoric with what is to come.

There's still plenty of details that can be gleaned from tomorrow's event, plus the why and how of the process, which is always interesting.

I'm guessing that Craig easily gets the most stage time.
  • Reply 38 of 80
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    vision33r said:

Or... don't buy the X buy the 8 ( if that rumour is even true).

StrangeDays
  • Reply 39 of 80
    arie said:
    Is it possible that hurricane Irma have any impact for Apple event this coming tuesday? 
    Other than Tim mentioning that people can donate to disaster relief using iTunes, no.
    macseeker
  • Reply 40 of 80
    sog35 said:
    Last I've heard from a little Birdy:
    Seeing cartoon birds that speak to you is indicative of severe head trauma.
    StrangeDaystmayfastasleep