More iOS 11 software examination shows evidence of wireless charging in iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
While it is not clear which new iPhone will get wireless charging, further examinations of the leaked "gold master" iOS 11 suggest that wireless charging is imminent -- but no specific details have been gleaned beyond software support.

Spotted by developer Guilherme Rambo, iOS 11 includes a new "ChargingViewService" routine. Not only does the routine identify if a model is compatible with wireless charging, it is also in control of displaying some 3d animations while the device is using the feature.

ChargingViewService confirms wireless charging. It will even show some 3D animations when charging (not present in GM tho) pic.twitter.com/JLBd4HQLpS

-- Guilherme Rambo (@_inside)

Wireless charging has long been a rumored feature of what was previously expected to be called the OLED "iPhone 8" but is now identified as the iPhone X. The technology is expected in the LCD iPhone 8 as well, previously assumed to be called the "iPhone 7s" family.

The technology is thought to be based on the Qi standard, but reportedly limited to 7.5W.

Rambo notes that the iOS 11 leak is near final -- but not yet complete. Some system settings pages literally contain "lorem ipsum" text as placeholders for final markers.

Apple is expected to announce three new iPhones with the high-end OLED model, and two other devices expected at a Sept. 12 press event. Also predicted is a refresh of the Apple TV adding 4K video as a playback option, and an LTE-equipped Apple Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I am still not sure of what the advantages of wireless charging are. At the airport I'll have to leave my phone unattended, even if I manage to get the seat right next to the charger I cannot practically use it since the chargers are too far down at hip level. Most likely I'll have to leave my phone unattended, untethered, and un-useable. I'd rather toss a USB cable in my backpack, which I'll be carrying either way, and squat next to an outlet.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I am still not sure of what the advantages of wireless charging are. At the airport I'll have to leave my phone unattended, even if I manage to get the seat right next to the charger I cannot practically use it since the chargers are too far down at hip level. Most likely I'll have to leave my phone unattended, untethered, and un-useable. I'd rather toss a USB cable in my backpack, which I'll be carrying either way, and squat next to an outlet.
    1) You only ever charge at an airport?

2) Why would you leave your stuff unattended at all?

3) If you'd rather "toss a USB cable in [your] backpack" then bother commenting about inductive charging as an option? For example, I'd rather use Safari than Chrome on my iPhone, but you won't see me on a website complaining that Chrome (or other 3rd-party browsers) shouldn't exist.
    tallest skilchiaradarthekat
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Just because you don't understand the benefit doesn't mean there isn't one. There are many good use cases, starting with cars equipped with wireless charging phone holders. Not having to fumble for a fragile cord is a huge benefit. But I suppose you're also one of those who use corded headphones and still lament the death of the headphone jack.
    radarthekatfastasleepKuyangkoh
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I am still not sure of what the advantages of wireless charging are.
    Situationally agnostic wireless power (meaning WiTricity and other brands) shows a clearer benefit than situationally specific wireless power (induction charging), but you have to admit that there IS a benefit to not having to plug in your phone, even if you are still required to put it in the same place. The argument here is over the magnitude of the benefit, not the existence of the benefit itself. Personally, I would have preferred they just wait until they could give us the former instead of the matter, but that appears to be quite a ways off. Still, expect Android shills to scream about how "We've had induction charging for years!"
    At the airport I'll have to leave my phone unattended…
    Because… of wireless charging? Or otherwise? And why would you EVER do this?

radarthekat
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I am still not sure of what the advantages of wireless charging are.
    From an accessibility pov my Parkinsonian elderly father struggles to get the charger into the port correctly. In addition I imagine visually impaired people would benefit too.  Small but important group of customers that  always consider during their design processes. 
    edited September 2017 SolichiaKuyangkoh
  • Reply 6 of 9
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    I'm glad to see you put "gold master" in quote marks. This is NOT the final finished software. It is NOT "the" GM but something close to it.

Rambo's theory is that it is a version that was shared with carriers. If so, the leak may not have come from Apple as Gruber assumes.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    One less opening in the casing.  If there is no hard wire charging or head phone port the device could be made far more waterproof.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Inductive charging benefits...
    power cases... will no longer need to use the lightning port to charge your phone..  

honwstly inductive charging is one step closer to removing all wires from the equation.  How much money do you spend on lightning cords?  How many do you have?  How often do you replace them because they fray or break? 

radarthekat
  • Reply 9 of 9
    MacPro said:
    One less opening in the casing.  If there is no hard wire charging or head phone port the device could be made far more waterproof.

Hard to believe Samsung can waterproof the micro-usb but Apple must get rid of it to make the phone “far more waterproof”. I agree but what happens when my phone requires iTunes to restore? I also prefer the cable to charge the phone faster and while actually using it. 

tshapi said:
    Inductive charging benefits...
    power cases... will no longer need to use the lightning port to charge your phone..  

honwstly inductive charging is one step closer to removing all wires from the equation.  How much money do you spend on lightning cords?  How many do you have?  How often do you replace them because they fray or break? 

Everyone’s experience may vary but I have only ever thrown out one Apple charger cable. My experience is my cables outlive the phone ( I upgrade before the cable breaks). But I also take care of my stuff. Same point on the restoring of the phone.