Apple's biggest introduction on Tuesday: Apple Park

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    I'm still unclear as to how the flying saucer roof is supported. Looks like glass all the way around to me.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    yoyo2222 said:
    I'm still unclear as to how the flying saucer roof is supported. Looks like glass all the way around to me.
    You just answered your own question.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Hmmm, if better buildings mean better work, and if macs and iphones came out of the dreary old buildings, whoah! Imagine what’s next! Transporters and warp drives, here we come. 

Actually, concerning to me is the history of big companies in their hubris building monumental headquarters which in retrospect turn out to be their high water mark. Hopefully Apple has a way to run yet. 
    jasenj1watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 46
    melgross said:
    DED simply can’t write a positive article about Apple without saying something nasty about its competitors. Also, I wonder if Apple Park isn’t simply named that because most of it is a PARK, with grass, bushes, trees, and paths for walking and bicycle riding, just like a - park.
    Dan is pointing out the imbalance in criticism of Apple versus its competitors. There has been criticism of Apple that they are wasting money and resources, time and energy building Apple Park, that they "should" have been spending on design of new products, while Google and MS have blown billions of dollars on acquisitions that have cost them dearly. And yet they have not paid for their miscues in the sense of stock valuations and negative media attention. 

Keep writing, Dan! Your takes on tech and Apple are right on the nose and fun to read. 

tmayneil andersonradarthekatbadmonkwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 25 of 46
    When you see the amount of money spent here then I know one thing is that iPhones are just overpriced
  • Reply 26 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    melgross said:
    DED simply can’t write a positive article about Apple without saying something nasty about its competitors. Also, I wonder if Apple Park isn’t simply named that because most of it is a PARK, with grass, bushes, trees, and paths for walking and bicycle riding, just like a - park.
    Dan is pointing out the imbalance in criticism of Apple versus its competitors. There has been criticism of Apple that they are wasting money and resources, time and energy building Apple Park, that they "should" have been spending on design of new products

I don't recall seeing anyone of note writing that Apple should be spending the money on new products instead of Apple Park. 
    What, there's some shortage of disposable cash at Apple?? LOL. Where did you see all those complaints?
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 27 of 46
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    vision33r said:
    When you see the amount of money spent here then I know one thing is that iPhones are just overpriced
    Your comment is one of the reasons why DED wrote this article. 
    Soliradarthekatwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 28 of 46
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    Dan is pointing out the imbalance in criticism of Apple versus its competitors. There has been criticism of Apple that they are wasting money and resources, time and energy building Apple Park, that they "should" have been spending on design of new products
    I don't recall seeing anyone of note writing that Apple should be spending the money on new products instead of Apple Park. 
    What, there's some shortage of disposable cash at Apple?? LOL. Where did you see all those complaints?
    Define "of note"? It's been said countless times, including @sog35, but I wouldn't define those kinds of people "of note."
    radarthekat
  • Reply 29 of 46
    tzeshan said:
    vision33r said:
    Your comment is one of the reasons why DED wrote this article. 
    Never heard of "Supply and Demand"? Or market forces that benefit you when you have a product that a lot of people want?
    Generally speaking - as far as I remember Apple never reduced prices of any of its products and as a result they are doing quite well. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 30 of 46
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    vision33r said:
    So, Amazon just announced that they're going to build a $5B 2nd HQ, and are taking bids for a location. Does that mean Alexa is "overpriced".  It's quite sad, that you only "know one thing" and that one thing is wrong.
    Solineil andersonradarthekatwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 31 of 46
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    melgross said:
    That's his signature style. It's his nickel, let him spend it.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    gatorguy said:

The first link in the article explores full articles published by Bloomberg and CBS Moneywatch that castigated Apple for having the nerve to spend money on facilities, especially ones using glass and being large. They were not unique. The "edifice complex" idea has been republished over and over since, despite having no basis in fact. The examples cited were terrible. 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/03/31/samsung-could-have-its-own-apple-park-with-5-billion-instead-it-has-the-ashes-of-galaxy-note-7
    Solitmayfastasleepbadmonk
  • Reply 33 of 46
    The "edifice complex" idea has been republished over and over since, despite having no basis in fact.
    I can't believe I've neither heard nor conceived of the term "edifice complex" before. That's both a clever play on words and an apt turn. 
    jony0
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Soli said:
    yoyo2222 said:
    You just answered your own question.
    I read somewhere that they are using structural glass walls to carry this 80 tons roof. The shape of the radiant components on the roof is pretty special. I am not sure I fully understand how this structure can sustain the center of the roof, they may be distributing the weight very wisely. Beautiful piece of work!
  • Reply 35 of 46
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    DED simply can’t write a positive article about Apple without saying something nasty about its competitors. 
    Validation comes to mind. No need for it but that's how some seem to quantify worth. Not claiming that's DED's reason as only he knows why. 
    Apart from the Parc/Park comment, I think that DED enjoys providing perspective, which I think is something lacking among those who deride Apple.  And I enjoy reading his articles for exactly that reason.  

Take for example those who claim iPhones are expensive and that even a mid-range Android phone provides, for a large segment of consumers, all the smartphone functionality they require.  That's a shallow take on the matter, and I would expect DED to respond by providing a bit of perspective.  That iPhones can typically be updated three or four times to new major versions of their OS, extending their useful life beyond what you get from those mid-range Androids, and even premium Androids.  This brings the cost of ownership down.  And there are other reasons to have an iPhone, like privacy, smooth functioning (I grimace when I watch my girlfriend try to pinch and zoom on her Oppo phone as the phone lags and causes her to zoom farther than she wanted because the phone doesn't keep up with her finger movement.  It's 2017 and those midrange Androids can't even provide a smooth pinch to zoom?  Same thing on a friend's Samsung J7 Prime.  I see this often as we're alway out hiking or at the beach here in the Philippines taking pics.  That's just one aspect of poor performance of those phones.  You get what you pay for.  And gaining some perspective is often worth the time spent reading a DED article. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Looking forward to seeing what type of display or projection system they're going to have installed. Seeing as they've mentioned in the past their display wasn't good enough to show the true quality of photos/videos taken with an iPhone or the abilities of the displays on the devices themselves. Or even a full 5K still from a Retina iMac.
    It's a bunch of discarded AppleTV panels glued together to spite Gene Munster.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 37 of 46
    The Steve Jobs Theatre looks like a wonder place and it is certainly a great tribute for the 10th Anniversary iPhone to be announced here.

The is something interesting about the theatre. Maybe there will be a surprise on Tuesday - Has anyone wondered if there is a surprise with the Theatre - Just imagine if the roof collapses down when it closes! Just think - The whole glass circular panels are hoisted on a ring platform that goes up and down. In closed mode the roof comes down and lays flat on a ground.

Now that would be awesome!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 46
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    nakai_s said:
    The Xerox system (called JStar in Japan) was extremely capable and easy to use.  But, unfortunately, the introduction cost was enormous and never became a mainstream, which was very sad.

When the Microsoft Word for Macintosh came out several years later, I thought it was a partial copy of the Xerox Star system.

I have a friend who was a technical writer at Ford Aerospace writing manuals for the Space Shuttle. They used the Xerox Star system. She showed the manual for the space toilet. I think it was 100 pages.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    So DED is Apple MarCom? Interesting write up. It will be interesting indeed if they manage a significant reveal after all the recent 11th hour leaks.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    So in looking at images of the presumptive/expected 8, X, and 8s at the head of many other recent articles. I think a big surprise (that I'd love to see but would wager against happening) is if Tim & Co. did a bit of an homage to Steve and said "Today we are introducing a new more powerful iPhone along with a big screen version with its two lense portrait mode camera and a next generation phone that includes a terrific new screen plus a whole lot more...but these aren't three separate phones.  They are one phone and it is iphone X"

AND they keep it at close to current pricing.  Folks would go bonkers, I'd bet.  That would be exciting to see.
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra