Phone X event at Steve Jobs Theater frames the future of Apple, Inc.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Great article thank Dan.  I'm new to AppleInsider to really appreciated this article.

I'm quite taken with the X.  It's the upgrade I'm wanting from my 6S.  My wife has a 7 Plus and it's great.  I want something with a comparable screen which fits in a a suit trousers (as I'm a Doctor). 
    You won't get more screen height in landscape mode. If you do a lot of landscape switching consider the 8 Plus.
    How do you figure that?
    iPhone X
    2436x1125 @3x
    1125/3 = 375

iPhone 7
    1334x750 @2x
    750/2 = 375

Same as iPhone 7

Ah, gotcha — I kinda missed that in the whole Gruber breakdown. So, the same number of points will be stretched out over a larger screen size on the X. 
    In horizontal dimension yes.
    Ah, gotcha — I kinda missed that in the whole Gruber breakdown. So, the same number of points will be stretched out over a larger screen size on the X. So slightly enlarged over the 7/8, like the Plus (but without the extra real estate)?
    Aspect ratios are different. LCD models are 16:9. That one is a tall, bizarre display, something like 19.5:9.

edited September 2017 fastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Great article thank Dan.  I'm new to AppleInsider to really appreciated this article.

I'm quite taken with the X.  It's the upgrade I'm wanting from my 6S.  My wife has a 7 Plus and it's great.  I want something with a comparable screen which fits in a a suit trousers (as I'm a Doctor). 
    You won't get more screen height in landscape mode. If you do a lot of landscape switching consider the 8 Plus.
    How do you figure that?
    iPhone X
    2436x1125 @3x
    1125/3 = 375

iPhone 7
    1334x750 @2x
    750/2 = 375

Same as iPhone 7

Ah, gotcha — I kinda missed that in the whole Gruber breakdown. So, the same number of points will be stretched out over a larger screen size on the X. 
    In horizontal dimension yes.
    Ah, gotcha — I kinda missed that in the whole Gruber breakdown. So, the same number of points will be stretched out over a larger screen size on the X. So slightly enlarged over the 7/8, like the Plus (but without the extra real estate)?
    Aspect ratios are different. LCD models are 16:9. That one is a tall, bizarre display, something like 19.5:9.

Right, yeah I meant just horizontally — I know the display is taller.  
  • Reply 23 of 29
    The iPhone has become Apples show piece! I think they have there September launch  because of the holiday season.  
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Not to rain on the new release parade or anything, but why doesn't Apple really change the naming regimen by updating their descriptors to reflect the new categories they really have created, or at least, perfected. Just like "iTunes" is no longer really accurate enough to describe their store that sells so much more than tunes, Apple could really set the bar by acknowledging that iPhone is incredibly more than a phone ( and in fact, the phone feature is vastly underutilized on average for a device everyone refers to as a phone).

Connected Mobile devices, which are really less "phone" and more accurately, Internet communication and computing devices covering a huge range of capabilities -- cameras, game consoles, calculators, flashlights, web browsers, ebook readers, and on and on --  really deserve a broader-serving name to reflect the new realities. Why not visibly separate yourself from the bottom tier barebones devices that the "phone" category includes? 
  • Reply 25 of 29
    @AppleInsider ;- what the heck does this mean?
    "This sort of "ten" naming was partially anticipated last year, with the idea that Apple could rename its existing models as iPhone 7, 8 & 9 to make way for an iPhone 10 in time for the tenth anniversary of the original iPhone."
    tallest skilmobird
  • Reply 26 of 29
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    So is the iPhone SE dead now? I thought it was a hit for Apple. It's the perfect sized iPhone for me.
    Dead by price or size?

I think price wise they maybe about to tweak the 7model internals and bank some other currency and supply chain improvements to get the 7 close to SE price. Drop the 6 & SE altogether out of sales.
    As for size I'm hoping early next year when other suppliers come on line for the OLED panels they will do an X-. Which I think will show still massive demand for a smaller best of breed phone and be a bit of disrupter to the the trend.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    A very enjoyable read, and an extremely well written article Daniel.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Since no one has noticed or mentioned it yet, the headline says "Phone X"... it's missing a lowercase "i".
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Too bad that if the iPhone X is a success, Apple won't be naming its updated model next year as the "iPhone Xs".