'Apple TV 4K' shipping with six-core A10X Fusion chip, 3GB of RAM [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2017
Apple's new streaming set-top will be called the "Apple TV 4K," and come with a six-core A10X Fusion processor and 3 gigabytes of RAM, according to the latest information gleaned from the iOS 11 GM. [Updated with clarification on cores]

The device will be capable of playing 4K video at 60 frames per second, said the source of previous iOS 11 GM leaks, Steve Troughton-Smith. The A10X is notably the same chip in the used in this year's 10.5- and 12.9-inch iPad Pros, but may lack some of the technologies present in the "A11" expected in the "iPhone X" and "iPhone 8."

On Saturday, code from the GM revealed that a fifth-generation Apple TV will play 2160p video, and as previously hinted, support Dolby Vision and HDR10. For some owners the limiting factor on video quality may be bandwidth, since the device should warn 4K streamers if sustained internet speeds fall below 15 megabits per second.

Aside from upgraded specifications, the set-top will come loaded with tvOS 11, offering features like notification support, automatic light/dark mode switching, and homescreen sync in homes with multiple units. Still more could be revealed at Apple's Tuesday press event, since the company will sometimes keep software changes hidden to protect secrets about hardware.

That event is expected to focus on Apple's new iPhones, as well as an LTE Apple Watch and slightly upgraded AirPods. AppleInsider will cover developments live from the newly-opened Steve Jobs Theater, located at Apple Park.

Update: In a follow-up tweet, Troughton-Smith said that the set-top's A10X will actually have six cores, split in half between apps and background processes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    Hmm, I wonder if the full software support, outside of 4k(like 1080p with the Gen 2) will come to the Gen 4 Apple TV).
  • Reply 2 of 73
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Saweet. While it seems overkill for a streaming box, I hope this means Apple still sees potential in it as a microconsole. Keep updating it with the last X chip and it would be breathing down the 8th gen base consoles necks in a few years. 

A bundle in controller would go a long way, but it helps that they dropped the wand controller requirement 
  • Reply 3 of 73
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    tipoo said:
    Saweet. While it seems overkill for a streaming box, I hope this means Apple still sees potential in it as a microconsole. Keep updating it with the last X chip and it would be breathing down the 8th gen base consoles necks in a few years. 

A bundle in controller would go a long way, but it helps that they dropped the wand controller requirement 
    I'm not sure that this is a harbinger of constant updates to the product. Instead, I think that the A10X in it is probably a "design it now, update it in a few years" mentality.
    stompySolidoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 73
    This sounds great!
    ...  Now all I need is something that I actually want to watch....
    Rayz2016stompyargonautdoozydozeniqatedo
  • Reply 5 of 73
    tipoo said:

I'm not sure that this is a harbinger of constant updates to the product. Instead, I think that the A10X in it is probably a "design it now, update it in a few years" mentality.

Still massive overkill, though. 4K today and in 3 years still requires the same power to decide and display.

I think it's for gaming. 
    williamlondonSpamSandwichdoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 73
    curious to see how much local storage and will it support some sort of local DVR functionality for live content. Hate on demand since they usually do not allow you to fast forward through commercial content.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    anyone think they will redesign the remote?

equality72521doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 73
    look for rebranding of all Apple TV competition to use the word "4K" in the name.

plot twist: Press Release...Roku Ultra will now be known as Roku 4K
    edited September 2017 jahblade
  • Reply 9 of 73
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    NY1822 said:
    anyone think they will redesign the remote?

Please no one respond. That's the last reason we all have to watch this event for true surprises  :'(
    stompy2old4fundoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 73
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    tipoo said:

Could be. 

Still a lot of power to play with though. I hope they try to entice developers towards it. 

Like, crap, it's more powerful than the Mac Mini now lol 

• Reply 11 of 73
    Thanks for doubling-down Tim, and ruining the first keynote in what might be Jobs' last idea, the Apple Park. There's an opening at Equifax you might be interested in.
    doozydozenwilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 73
    tipoo said:

Still massive overkill, though. 4K today and in 3 years still requires the same power to decide and display.

I think it's for gaming. 
    I certainly hope so! The A10X will make the ATV a very capable gaming platform. Given that an ATV is always plugged in, they could also crank up the clock speed relative to the iPad Pro.
    doozydozenwilliamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 73
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    NY1822 said:
    look for rebranding of all Apple TV competition to use the word "4K" in the name.

plot twist: Press Release...Roku Ultra will now be known as Roku 4K
    I doubt they'd rebrand the existing Ultra, but I could see its follow-up - or one of the cheaper models - taking the 4K name.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    sog35 said:
    Its truly sad that the AppleTV4 will basically be worthless when this 'real' AppleTV comes out.

I'm really disappointed how half assed the ATV4 was, despite Cook saying TV was no longer a hobby.

1. No live TV package. Absolutely no excuse. When also ran's like Playstation, Youtube, Hulu, and Dish have live TV packages.

2. Total mishandling of Games. Requiring Siri controller support and ridiculous limits on file sizes. 

3. Siri Remote. Horrible symetrical design.

You say that the ATV4 is worthless except that for me it is near perfect. I don’t have the luxury of internet speed faster than 4-8 mb. I believe that there are many people in the same situation. I also don’t have a TV capable of 4K display. It must be wonderful to be in your position as the final authority on what is wrong with Apple. Is it really lonely at the top?
    zoetmbequality72521jahbladewilliamlondonapplepieguy
  • Reply 15 of 73
    Thanks for doubling-down Tim, and ruining the first keynote in what might be Jobs' last idea, the Apple Park. There's an opening at Equifax you might be interested in.
    I don't think even Tim is capable of stopping a deliberate act of sabotage like this malicious leak.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tipoo said:

I think it's for gaming. 
    How do you know what's needed for HEVC decoding of 2160p60+HDR content? I've tried to look into this and I couldn't tell you if the A9 would be more then suited for the job or not.
    stompy
  • Reply 17 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This sounds like a price bump for the Apple TV, to me. I'm sure some of you will cringe at the thought of any price hike but I honestly don't care either way as the cost will be inconsequential to my overall benefit for the life of the appliance.
    doozydozenjahblade
  • Reply 18 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I agree about the pricing, unless Apple does something uncharacteristic and prices it to break even. Everything I read says that most people think that the price of the 4 is already too high.

i could understand if this were a real gaming console as well. Then maybe Apple could convince people to also buy it for that. But so far, it doesn’t seem to be doing too well at that. Does Apple still require developers to support the remote, or are they allowing the more gaming friendly concept of not doing that? Developers have complained about that, and they’re right.

i don’t have the problems with the remote that some people do, incorrectly thinking that it’s symettrical, when it’s clearly not. I can pick it up in the dark and easily tell which way is up. But, as a gaming control, it’s not great.

the A10X isn’t truly competitive against the newest versions of either major platform. Possibly Apple can cool this to run at higher speeds. But what will this cost? If it’s $199-$299, it’s not going to be popular, unless it proves to be a really capable gaming machine, AND has some highly rated gamer franchises available, because, you know, that’s what sells the platform.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    I haven't found a compelling reason to purchase an ATV, but the A10X really provides a lot of power and potential in regards to not only 4k but future proofing and would turn the nATV into a very viable gaming platform as an extra added bonus if done correctly. I would love to see an oversized touch screen remote roughly the size of an iphone 5 that can turn be reconfigured as a customized remote, game controller and more. That would truly make the nATV a multi-faceted device and I would snap one up. Plus, I've found myself for the first time wishing to fling content on our ipads to the big screen from time to time.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    tipoo said:

It’s hard to understand where Apple is going with this. Now that console manufacturers have broken their upgrade to new machines every 5 to 8 years, depending on sales, routine, it’s questionable as to whether Apple can j=keep up. Before, it looked like they could, after a few years.

the thing is that Apple has been pushing this as a gaming console, but in all the wrong ways. Underpowered, requiring the remote as a basic controller, failing to have major franchises, etc.

so, what will be different this time? Before Microsoft and Sony upgraded their consoles recently, this could compete, but now? It’s doubtful. So the upgrade every few years isn’t going to work for that. They better have something spectacular to announce that the leak hasn’t already provided. After all, one can already stream 4K with a $50 device, and that’s all many people want.
    doozydozenfastasleep