What to expect from Apple's Sept. 12 event: iPhone X & 8, Apple Watch with LTE, 4K Apple T...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Last I've heard from a little Birdy:
    Seeing cartoon birds that speak to you is indicative of severe head trauma.
    Bro, you just can't help your self?

Every post I make you take a jab at me.

This isn't healthy.  Your obession of me is not normal.

Get help. Soon.  
    If you make claims that you have inside sources after changing up your prices and starting storage a dozen times in a month I'm going to have a laugh.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 42 of 80
    mac mini refresh? Please. With user upgradeable RAM & HDD?

I'll go take my pills now. :(
  • Reply 43 of 80
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    The only reason I'm buying a new iPhone is because someone special is looking forward to my hand me down iPhone 6. Otherwise the 6 still provides everything I need. My iPhone 6 is in like new condition which makes a nice gift in its original packaging.
    dewme
  • Reply 44 of 80
    jasenj1 said:

1) I'd like non-soldered RAM—it doesn't even have to be classified as user-repalceable—but I doubt that will happen.

2) Fusion Drive seems to be gaining traction in the iMac so perhaps the 2.5" HDD will stay in the Mac mini, but I still wouldn't be surprised if they moved to an PCIe SSD-only system.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    volcan said:
    The only reason I'm buying a new iPhone is because someone special is looking forward to my hand me down iPhone 6. Otherwise the 6 still provides everything I need. My iPhone 6 is in like new condition which makes a nice gift in its original packaging.
    I'm touched, but I already have an iPhone 7 Plus. :blush: 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 46 of 80
    jasenj1 said:

Don't call us, we'll call you. ;)
    cgWerks
  • Reply 47 of 80
    sog35 
    Imagine an iOS desktop that cost ony $299? That would be a massive seller.
    If they can't make a $299 iPad, what makes you think they can make a $299 desktop?
  • Reply 48 of 80
    I have a little birdy, too, but he's only obsessed with Twitter. Well, all he does is tweet all day. #DadJoke
  • Reply 49 of 80
    sog35

The $299 desktop would not include a monitor.

It would basically be a MacMini with flash storage running iOS.  

It would be a HUGE success.
    I doubt it. The reason the iPad is such a HUGE success is because people with modest computing needs don't want to bother with a desktop, especially if they have to purchase, install and configure a separate monitor.
    tmay
  • Reply 50 of 80
    volcan said:
    sog35 
    If they can't make a $299 iPad, what makes you think they can make a $299 desktop?
    There's no reason for Apple to come in with a $299 desktop computer, which is already well below the average for a WinPC.

However, if Sog wanted to think rationally about how Apple could open up to a lower tier Mac is to consider where their starting prices are now for Macs, what the costly components are, what could be replaced with something less costly without sacrificing the Mac experience, even if it's not designed to be a top-tier device.

For example, using their ARM designs to create a machine that works for users as seamless as their iOS-based devices, but runs the macOS UI. Since they see these devices as appliances where upgrading RAM is not even possible for the Mac mini, I wouldn't be surprised to see this be an App Store-only option. Besides Macs having so much included SW compared to Windows, the Mac App Store is robust, and Apple getting 30% would allow them to factor in ways they can lower the cost of the HW, if they went that route.

Of course, I don't want MAS to be the only option, but perhaps it could be like the Sys Pref setting, but slightly more strict where "side loading" is possible but just requires a little more active effort to allow. That said, I don't expect this to happen until we see a massive change in how the UI handled files (i.e.: more metadata an a more invisible file hierarchy) even though the HW is already fast enough.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    asdasd said:
    Or... don't buy the X buy the 8 ( if that rumour is even true).
    The problem with that strategy, is it might be like the audio port, where we're now down to only one model... and likely eventually none.

jasenj1 said:
    No doubt. That's something that would actually make it worth watching. In fact, I don't even care if it has upgradable RAM or HD, if it has SSD. I just want a headless Mac w/ TB3 that doesn't require a second mortgage.

sog35 said:
    IMO, Apple should stop messing around and release an iOS desktop that can compete with Windozes on price.
    It's not even so much the price, if it's within reason. They just need to have *something* in that class, period. Yes, if they could pull off a true 'mini' in the budget-class department, they'd sell a ton... if Apple cares to be in that market. But, I think there is absolutely a need for an iMac class machine w/o the screen.

sog35 said:
    iOS device with no screen? It's a touch-OS. It would need to run macOS.

avon b7
  • Reply 52 of 80
    macseeker said:
    Well, since everything has been leaked, the only thing I'm looking forward to is the iFixIt teardowns.
    Does that mean you won’t watch it, then? 
  • Reply 53 of 80

sog35 said:
    You’re copying Gruber’s terminology, but i know you don’t have any apple employee insiders. 
    Solitmay
  • Reply 54 of 80
    StrangeDays said:
    Does that mean you won’t watch it, then? 
    I probably won't, as aside from a true surprise, there's nothing of interest currently rumored. I can find about any surprised in the days to follow news articles. Spending a couple of hours on that dancing-emoji Keynote a year or two ago kind of ruined me on them (or Apple insulting my intelligence with the whole 'legacy port' 3.5mm thing). The magic is gone. :( It's now much more like every other corporate dog and pony show.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 55 of 80
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Seeing cartoon birds that speak to you is indicative of severe head trauma.
    Bro, you just can't help your self?

Every post I make you take a jab at me.

This isn't healthy.  Your obession of me is not normal.

Get help. Soon.  
    If you make claims that you have inside sources after changing up your prices and starting storage a dozen times in a month I'm going to have a laugh.
    Get help. Soon. 
    Says the guy who had a complete breakdown and saturated this forum with nonsensical ravings about firing Cook for months on end. 
    SolitmayRonnnieO
  • Reply 56 of 80
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    sog35 said:
    volcan said:
    sog35 
    The $299 desktop would not include a monitor.

A $299 Mac Mini with a smaller footprint would be well positioned against the Intel NUC and similar products and would be a nice platform for schools, hobbyists, home theater, HomeKit, and appliance applications. If you could use an iPad as a hard wired screen (especially older model iPads), and a BT keyboard all the better.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    eightzero said:
    Good summary, thank you.

One thing that will take a few minutes of the show is at least a few words from Tim welcoming everyone to the new SJ Theater. I rather expect that to lead the show with a video trailer. I get chills thinking about what clips from the original iPhone reveal with Steve that it will contain. This is, after all, something of an inauguration of the place that bears his name.

Without getting too sappy about it, I wonder if Apple Park has an office with Steve's nameplate on it. Or some handicapped spots with a new Mercedes draped across them. 
    I would expect the video of the first part of Steve Job's introduction "This is the day...I've been looking forward to for 2 and a half year...Every once in a while, a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything"
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 58 of 80
    jasenj1 said:

Not to be a downer, but when was the last time Apple introduced new macOS (nee OS X) hardware at an iPhone event?
  • Reply 59 of 80
    fallenjt said:
    I would expect the video of the first part of Steve Job's introduction "This is the day...I've been looking forward to for 2 and a half year...Every once in a while, a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything"
    Except there's no revolutionary product... unless they actually do have some great surprise. Doing that would be a setup for a huge let-down (supposing they care).

sog35 said:
    nonsensical? hardly.
    Most of my criticism have been proven true and Cook has corrected them:
    1. Too much emphasis on China. Cook has corrected that.
    2. Slow updates on Mac and iPad. Cook has corrected that.
    3. Stale iPhone design. Cook has corrected.
    4. Focus on services. Cook has corrected.
    I'll have to give credit there, that Apple does seem to have made a few course corrections in the last year or two that I wouldn't have expected. That's kind of where my hope for Apple's future now hangs.

stompy said:
    Not to be a downer, but when was the last time Apple introduced new macOS (nee OS X) hardware at an iPhone event?
    They've mixed platforms at a number of events, unless my memory is totally blown.
    cornchip
  • Reply 60 of 80
    cgWerks said:
    stompy said:
    They've mixed platforms at a number of events, unless my memory is totally blown.
    Ok, what was the last one?