'Apple TV 4K' shipping with six-core A10X Fusion chip, 3GB of RAM [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:
    I agree about the pricing, unless Apple does something uncharacteristic and prices it to break even. Everything I read says that most people think that the price of the 4 is already too high.

i could understand if this were a real gaming console as well. Then maybe Apple could convince people to also buy it for that. But so far, it doesn’t seem to be doing too well at that. Does Apple still require developers to support the remote, or are they allowing the more gaming friendly concept of not doing that? Developers have complained about that, and they’re right.

i don’t have the problems with the remote that some people do, incorrectly thinking that it’s symettrical, when it’s clearly not. I can pick it up in the dark and easily tell which way is up. But, as a gaming control, it’s not great.

the A10X isn’t truly competitive against the newest versions of either major platform. Possibly Apple can cool this to run at higher speeds. But what will this cost? If it’s $199-$299, it’s not going to be popular, unless it proves to be a really capable gaming machine, AND has some highly rated gamer franchises available, because, you know, that’s what sells the platform.
    Apple has lifted the mandatory requirement of touch remote support on games and has allowed larger initial files for games.  Both were major road blocks to the ATV lauch for games.  Ridiculous decisions by Mr Cook, really no other way to say it.

IMO, it was a massive lost opportunity.  Even if ATV just ported iOS games that would be huge. But Mr Cook has not put any effort in pushing ATV as a gaming platform.

Actually we see lots of time where Apple limits the products features and support, they do this when they first release something either hardware and software and this done by design so people do not have an initial bad user experience as they work throw issues they know about and have not revealed to the public, as the product evolves they open it up and allow more and more features from both Apple itself and developers. The ATV is no different. I would expect ATV5 to be limited in some regards as they work through issues. Remember apple always under commits and over delivers.

You're complaining about Apple standard mode of operations which makes it far successful than its competitors who do the opposite and fail most times.

edited September 2017 fastasleepwilliamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:
    I agree about the pricing, unless Apple does something uncharacteristic and prices it to break even. Everything I read says that most people think that the price of the 4 is already too high.

i could understand if this were a real gaming console as well. Then maybe Apple could convince people to also buy it for that. But so far, it doesn’t seem to be doing too well at that. Does Apple still require developers to support the remote, or are they allowing the more gaming friendly concept of not doing that? Developers have complained about that, and they’re right.

i don’t have the problems with the remote that some people do, incorrectly thinking that it’s symettrical, when it’s clearly not. I can pick it up in the dark and easily tell which way is up. But, as a gaming control, it’s not great.

the A10X isn’t truly competitive against the newest versions of either major platform. Possibly Apple can cool this to run at higher speeds. But what will this cost? If it’s $199-$299, it’s not going to be popular, unless it proves to be a really capable gaming machine, AND has some highly rated gamer franchises available, because, you know, that’s what sells the platform.
    Apple has lifted the mandatory requirement of touch remote support on games and has allowed larger initial files for games.  Both were major road blocks to the ATV lauch for games.  Ridiculous decisions by Mr Cook, really no other way to say it.

IMO, it was a massive lost opportunity.  Even if ATV just ported iOS games that would be huge. But Mr Cook has not put any effort in pushing ATV as a gaming platform.
    First of all, people have to stop blaming Cook for decisions made undoubtedly by others. It’s highly unlikely that he makes decisions like this. Even Jobs didn’t make every decision.

i knew about the larger downloads. Though, to be fair, you could download GBs of data for a game, as most of a game is in the videos, and attendant graphics and levels.

again, look to who runs that division. It’s not Cook. I don’t remember, but it might be Eddie Cue.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I was expecting it to get the A10 at a higher clock-rate like the A8 on the current TV, but not the A10X...good news.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 24 of 73
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    sog35 said:
    Its truly sad that the AppleTV4 will basically be worthless when this 'real' AppleTV comes out.

I'm really disappointed how half assed the ATV4 was, despite Cook saying TV was no longer a hobby.

1. No live TV package. Absolutely no excuse. When also ran's like Playstation, Youtube, Hulu, and Dish have live TV packages.

2. Total mishandling of Games. Requiring Siri controller support and ridiculous limits on file sizes. 

3. Siri Remote. Horrible symetrical design.

...the Old Son is back...
    Solidoozydozenwilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 73
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    sog35 said:
    Its truly sad that the AppleTV4 will basically be worthless when this 'real' AppleTV comes out.

I'm really disappointed how half assed the ATV4 was, despite Cook saying TV was no longer a hobby.

1. No live TV package. Absolutely no excuse. When also ran's like Playstation, Youtube, Hulu, and Dish have live TV packages.

2. Total mishandling of Games. Requiring Siri controller support and ridiculous limits on file sizes. 

For all those reasons I refrained from purchasing the TV4 last year and waited for the new TV5. My current TV3 has served me very well so far.
    edited September 2017 doozydozenmac_128
  • Reply 26 of 73
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Maybe future proofing for slightly serious gaming?
    edited September 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 27 of 73
    melgross said:

Well, if they put AR equipment on the machine too, which I expected them to do, that would be a way to sell it at the higher price point.

By putting serious hardware (and possibly other equipment like a good camera in there)
    in, they're putting it on par with the rest of their processing devices instead of keeping in on the periphery.

This is a place were other players can't compete.

Apple TV seems to want to do a content push and I see them as basically doing the same thing as with the airpods, selling them at a low markup as a good way to get stickyness in the media and video side in the house.

The Airpods showed the way that peripheral devices to the ecosystem should have a lower markup to create a moat for the rest of the ecosystem and bring new people in.

edited September 2017
  • Reply 28 of 73
    melgross said:
    tipoo said:
    Saweet. While it seems overkill for a streaming box, I hope this means Apple still sees potential in it as a microconsole. Keep updating it with the last X chip and it would be breathing down the 8th gen base consoles necks in a few years. 

A bundle in controller would go a long way, but it helps that they dropped the wand controller requirement 
    I'm not sure that this is a harbinger of constant updates to the product. Instead, I think that the A10X in it is probably a "design it now, update it in a few years" mentality.
    It’s hard to understand where Apple is going with this. Now that console manufacturers have broken their upgrade to new machines every 5 to 8 years, depending on sales, routine, it’s questionable as to whether Apple can j=keep up. Before, it looked like they could, after a few years.

the thing is that Apple has been pushing this as a gaming console, but in all the wrong ways. Underpowered, requiring the remote as a basic controller, failing to have major franchises, etc.

so, what will be different this time? Before Microsoft and Sony upgraded their consoles recently, this could compete, but now? It’s doubtful. So the upgrade every few years isn’t going to work for that. They better have something spectacular to announce that the leak hasn’t already provided. After all, one can already stream 4K with a $50 device, and that’s all many people want.
    Apple TV never could compete with the PS4 or XBox One. Heck, it couldn't compete with the PS3 or XBox 360. I never expected ATV to compete with consoles but I would actually use it for gaming if there was something even somewhat decent to play. Unfortunately, all the games I've tried are crap. Hopefully with a more powerful ATV, you don't get awful frame rate drops like you currently do on the ATV4. 

If the new Apple TV supports both Dolby Vision and HDR10, that will be huge. No other streaming player on the market supports Dolby Vision. To me, that's pretty big. Dolby Vision is way better than HDR10. 
    pujones1
  • Reply 29 of 73
    melgross said:
    tipoo said:
    Saweet. While it seems overkill for a streaming box, I hope this means Apple still sees potential in it as a microconsole. Keep updating it with the last X chip and it would be breathing down the 8th gen base consoles necks in a few years. 

A bundle in controller would go a long way, but it helps that they dropped the wand controller requirement 
    I'm not sure that this is a harbinger of constant updates to the product. Instead, I think that the A10X in it is probably a "design it now, update it in a few years" mentality.
    It’s hard to understand where Apple is going with this. Now that console manufacturers have broken their upgrade to new machines every 5 to 8 years, depending on sales, routine, it’s questionable as to whether Apple can j=keep up. Before, it looked like they could, after a few years.

the thing is that Apple has been pushing this as a gaming console, but in all the wrong ways. Underpowered, requiring the remote as a basic controller, failing to have major franchises, etc.

so, what will be different this time? Before Microsoft and Sony upgraded their consoles recently, this could compete, but now? It’s doubtful. So the upgrade every few years isn’t going to work for that. They better have something spectacular to announce that the leak hasn’t already provided. After all, one can already stream 4K with a $50 device, and that’s all many people want.
    The ATV doesn't have to equal the XBONE or PS4 in raw CPU+GPU power. There are diminishing returns to CPU+GPU power in games. Nintendo has shown that it's possible to innovate in other ways and succeed in this area. I think the A10X is sufficient to make Apple competitive here, so long as they can offer some other compelling feature. 

• Reply 30 of 73
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:

Before you troll, did you look at Roku or Amazon Fire TV to see if they have any Live TV packages or better remote control than ATV4? You fcking pressure Apple to create a new business section, a Live TV service for your own preference. How relevant is that?
  • Reply 31 of 73
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    This sounds like a price bump for the Apple TV, to me. I'm sure some of you will cringe at the thought of any price hike but I honestly don't care either way as the cost will be inconsequential to my overall benefit for the life of the appliance.
    Agree.

I originally thought the AppleTV would be $299.  A price I would easily pay for premium features.

No reason to race to the bottom like Roku/FireTV/Chrome-ass is doing
    TV is not a phone. It streams a content with no better quality than any other device. I can just care less if my contents are streamed from ATV or Roku or FireTV as long as it buffers right and gives me no hiccup. At $299 for a content streaming device with capability of the $50-Roku or FireTV, ATV4 would be DOA even for a hardcore Apple fan like me. BTW, ATV is far from a real game console but a mini type of game playing like on mobile devices, so don't even bring game playing capability in this discussion.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I suspect this is a stop gap design until they have a Imagination free GPU.  If the info that came directly from Imagination is accurate Apple will need to update the machine next year.   

That is if this is an A10X as we currently know it.   Apple could throw a chip in there using the A10X CPUs with a new GPU tacked on.  Seems unlikely thus the thought that this Apple TV wont be around long.  

In any event with out expandable local storage this machine does nothing for me.   Local storage means a wide array of games are possible, it means a place to store locally created media and finally for those of us on slow networks it means buffering and storage of iTunes content.  

Speaking of slow networks it is pretty obvious that most of the engineers at Apple live in a technology bubble as they design in features assuming that everyone has a high speed connection.  Run on sentence but the point sticks, not everyone has high speed internet nor is willing to pay for it.  As such you want services that dont require you to download things multiple times.   

• Reply 33 of 73
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Soli said:
    This sounds like a price bump for the Apple TV, to me. I'm sure some of you will cringe at the thought of any price hike but I honestly don't care either way as the cost will be inconsequential to my overall benefit for the life of the appliance.
    I feel the opposite.. I think the existing ATV4 will go down to a "sweeter" price point and the new model with keep with the current prices. I don't think the demand for a 4k HDR model is as strong in the real world as it is for us on this forum.. I personally have 3 very good looking Panasonic plasma sets in my house, and I am not in a super big rush to let them go to go 4k. 
  • Reply 34 of 73
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

First of all, people have to stop blaming Cook for decisions made undoubtedly by others. It’s highly unlikely that he makes decisions like this. Even Jobs didn’t make every decision.

i knew about the larger downloads. Though, to be fair, you could download GBs of data for a game, as most of a game is in the videos, and attendant graphics and levels.

again, look to who runs that division. It’s not Cook. I don’t remember, but it might be Eddie Cue.
    Sure you could download lots of data for a game but where would you put it?   This to me is AppleTV's greatest weakness, that is the tiny amount of internal storage and the lack of support for external storage.  These constraints make AppleTV hard to justify even for casual gaming.  In my estimation they made a design decision someplace that said gaming wont be a big part of Apple TV.  In the end there are a number of questionable design decisions around Apple TV.  For many of us this leaves the Mac Mini as the most rational choice for a set top box.  

What is frustrating here is that Apple is fully aware of the success of gaming in general on iOS devices and the importance of internal storage. This suggest a policy issue which hopefully can be addressed.  
  • Reply 35 of 73
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    1983 said:
    sog35 said:

For all those reasons I refrained from purchasing the TV4 last year and waited for the new TV5. My current TV3 has served me very well so far.
    My Apple TV 2 is only now starting to show signs of wear as I expand my streaming needs. I'll be first in line for this new Apple TV -- just what I needed to save me from the horrors of Android TV on my 4K set ...
  • Reply 36 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jcs2305 said:
    Soli said:
    I feel the opposite.. I think the existing ATV4 will go down to a "sweeter" price point and the new model with keep with the current prices. I don't think the demand for a 4k HDR model is as strong in the real world as it is for us on this forum.. I personally have 3 very good looking Panasonic plasma sets in my house, and I am not in a super big rush to let them go to go 4k. 
    I can see that argument. Either way, I think it's a near certainly that I'll be getting a 5th gen Apple TV as soon as it's available.
    pujones1
  • Reply 37 of 73
    foggyhill said:
    melgross said:

Well, if they put AR equipment on the machine too, which I expected them to do, that would be a way to sell it at the higher price point.

By putting serious hardware (and possibly other equipment like a good camera in there)
    in, they're putting it on par with the rest of their processing devices instead of keeping in on the periphery.

This is a place were other players can't compete.

Apple TV seems to want to do a content push and I see them as basically doing the same thing as with the airpods, selling them at a low markup as a good way to get stickyness in the media and video side in the house.

The Airpods showed the way that peripheral devices to the ecosystem should have a lower markup to create a moat for the rest of the ecosystem and bring new people in.

I’m not really sure that AR would help much. Microsoft had some AR with theirs, and people demanded they remove it because it added to the cost.

the most important thing for gaming is whether they have major game franchises, and how well the console handles them. If they don’t have them, then forget it for gaming. So far, the ATv4 hasn’t done well there. I was hoping it would. If they have Nintendo on board with Mario, and something else, that will help. But it’s got to be equivalent to a console version. We also need several hit games from the other platforms.

seriously, if anyone understands gaming, they will know this. If they don’t know this, then despite anything they say, they don’t understand the gaming market.
    edited September 2017 Ofer
  • Reply 38 of 73

blastdoor said:
    melgross said:
    tipoo said:

The ATV doesn't have to equal the XBONE or PS4 in raw CPU+GPU power. There are diminishing returns to CPU+GPU power in games. Nintendo has shown that it's possible to innovate in other ways and succeed in this area. I think the A10X is sufficient to make Apple competitive here, so long as they can offer some other compelling feature. 

The problem, as I keep saying, and I will say it again, is that without franchise support from major console developers, this will never get off the ground as a serious game machine. And in order to get those franchises, at a minimum, they need to play similarly to the other console systems, which means similar performance. And this machine is close enough to the 360,and the PS3 so that differences won’t matter. In fact last year’s iPad Pro 12.9” was close enough to those consoles already, and this year’s is more than good enough.

Its even fairly close to the XBox One and the ps4. But not the new upgrades.

nintendo has shown the way to make failed consoles after the surprising success (mostly due to the 10 month late arrival of the ps3, and the extra $100 for the Blue Ray player). We don’t need a lesson from them.

Ofer
  • Reply 39 of 73
    wizard69 said:
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

Sure you could download lots of data for a game but where would you put it?   This to me is AppleTV's greatest weakness, that is the tiny amount of internal storage and the lack of support for external storage.  These constraints make AppleTV hard to justify even for casual gaming.  In my estimation they made a design decision someplace that said gaming wont be a big part of Apple TV.  In the end there are a number of questionable design decisions around Apple TV.  For many of us this leaves the Mac Mini as the most rational choice for a set top box.  

What is frustrating here is that Apple is fully aware of the success of gaming in general on iOS devices and the importance of internal storage. This suggest a policy issue which hopefully can be addressed.  
    Honestly, I haven’t bothered to follow it much after it came out. I bought the larger storage option. But Apple does have a good idea in which the device could delete a game if it hasn’t been used for some time, but keep the gaming data in case it gets downloaded, and played again. As long as you have a decent connection, that would solve a lot of storage problems. Mine has 128GB of storage, from what I remember. That holds a decent number of games at once.
    edited September 2017 Ofer
  • Reply 40 of 73
    melgross said:
    wizard69 said:
    melgross said:
    sog35 said:
    melgross said:

Honestly, I haven’t bothered to follow it much after it came out. I bought the larger storage option. But Apple does have a good idea in which the device could delete a game if it hasn’t been used for some time, but keep the gaming data in case it gets downloaded, and played again. As long as you have a decent connection, that would solve a lot of storage problems. Mine has 128GB of storage, from what I remember. That holds a decent number of games at once.
    It’s 32 & 64 GB.