Apple TV 4K may sport new Siri Remote with haptic feedback

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2021
Among other changes, the fifth-generation Apple TV will come with an updated Siri Remote including haptic feedback, the latest iOS 11 GM leak suggests.

The Siri Remote for the 2015 Apple TV.
The Siri Remote for the 2015 Apple TV.

Code strings make reference to "actuator calibration," "force calibration," and "Vibe Waveforms," Brazilian iOS developer Guilherme Rambo said on Monday. The current Apple TV remote uses a touch surface similar to that on MacBooks, but doesn't vibrate in response to taps or onscreen events.

The upgrade could provide more cues when using tvOS 11 and/or compatible apps, depending on developer support. So far though it's unknown what specific functions haptic feedback might have.

As a result of the GM leak, many Apple TV 4K details have been all but confirmed, including HDR support, the use of an A10X processor, and 3 gigabytes of RAM. It also appears that people will need at least 15 megabits per second of bandwidth to stream 4K.

Apple should reveal the set-top at its Tuesday press event, where the centerpieces will be the iPhone X and iPhone 8. Other things on tap include an LTE-equipped Apple Watch and slightly tweaked AirPods.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    AThe current Apple TV remote uses a touch surface similar to that on MacBooks, but doesn't vibrate in response to taps or onscreen events.
    Well, no. It uses a traditional physical actuator for a physical click like old MacBook trackpads. If the new remote has haptic feedback, then likely it will be a solid state trackpad like the current MacBooks.
    doozydozencurtis hannah
  • Reply 2 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I hope this ends the silly “It’s symmetrical” nonsense.

it would also be interesting if it makes for easy haptic feedback in games.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    For those wishing for an Apple TV remote update...
    I imagine the remote would take on a healthier girth to accommodate a Taptic Engine module. Maybe the remote might be asymmetrical, appeasing the detractors. 
  • Reply 4 of 36
    I was a bit surprised that the ATV4 didn't use force touch with haptic feedback since the technology already existed in other Apple devices.

I've never liked the ATV4 remote. It's too small, slippery, delicate, and doesn't have enough dedicated buttons such as "mute", "power", and "channel".
  • Reply 5 of 36
    melgross said:
    Maybe they're going to LEAVE it symmetrical and let the gyroscope determine orientation so that your muscle memory button presses are correct no matter how you hold it!  :p
    doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 36
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    My biggest complaint with the current remote is my lack of ability to swipe straight down when I'm (trying to) scroll through my movies on my computer. It keeps bouncing between not viewed, viewed and genre. I'd rather have the old style remote that works with the four arrows so I always know when I'm going down or up. The same issue with the Remote app on my iPhone. Swiping needs to understand when you're in a list so it can only go in two directions, up and down. I started using the Remote app almost all the time but still have to use the AppleTV remote to wake it up. I don't use it for games so don't really care about the other features or even haptic feedback. Just make it work properly when scrolling.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    melgross said:

it would also be interesting if it makes for easy haptic feedback in games.
    The remote does suck in the dark...
  • Reply 8 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    zroger73 said:
    I was a bit surprised that the ATV4 didn't use force touch with haptic feedback since the technology already existed in other Apple devices.

I've never liked the ATV4 remote. It's too small, slippery, delicate, and doesn't have enough dedicated buttons such as "mute", "power", and "channel".
    As for mute, power, the TV was designed around CEC (HDMI Control). Devices turn on and off, volume is controlled by CEC. The TV remote was not designed to be a universal remote so a 'channel' button is anathema. I have used the Siri remote since day one and have adapted quite easily to it. I experience none of your complaints. I sure as blazes don't like the remote on my Amazon Fire Stick (in use until the Amazon app arrives on the ATV). It's cheaply built, the buttons sometimes don't always respond with the first click and I sometimes get a double-click without trying to. No CEC either. More buttons doesn't make a better remote. More confusion and fiddling maybe but not better.
    edited September 2017 StrangeDayscurtis hannahargonaut
  • Reply 9 of 36
    zroger73 said:

Unlikely to get a mute button since content can be paused. It doesn’t need a power button since you don’t need to turn it off. And it certainly doesn’t need channel up/down buttons since it doesn’t have, you know, channels. 

You're thinking old TV usage model, not apps. In an app content model you pause content, and you use the app switcher to quickly move between apps. Tho in general I believe it’s assumed the viewing habits of an app based streamer are different than broadcast TV — less roaming between content providers (channels in broadcast) and more intentional selection of content to view during a dedicated viewing session.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 10 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    AThe current Apple TV remote uses a touch surface similar to that on MacBooks, but doesn't vibrate in response to taps or onscreen events.
    Well, no. It uses a traditional physical actuator for a physical click like old MacBook trackpads. If the new remote has haptic feedback, then likely it will be a solid state trackpad like the current MacBooks.
    This may allow it to be smarter with accidental input.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    sog35 said:
    Wish list for new remote:

1. Make it non-symetrical so I can tell by FEEL which side is the top/bottom without touching the touch pad (and executing a command I didn't intend)
    4. Mute button. Please. Please! Or at least a command that mutes accross all apps ( double click Siri button?)
    Yes!!! This remote reminds me of Apple's other physical UI flop, the original iMac mouse.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Anything would be better than the current remote. I won't buy the new AppleTV to get 4K -- but to get a better remote -- OH YEAH. The current remote is a disaster. We have become used to at home making sure the AppleTV remote is clearly off the sofa or anywhere it could be accidentally touched or pressed by a cushion or drop during a movie. You can end back up on the home screen or fast forwarding to the end of your show or otherwise losing track of where you were in the movie. (In addition to all the other complaints mentioned above, all of which I agree with.)
    argonaut
  • Reply 13 of 36
    For such a great industrial designer, Jony seems clueless about remotes. One after another they have suffered from form over function problems. My favorite remote of all time? The TiVo "peanut." Not a triumph of looks, but is so intuitive and easy to use--like an extension of my hand. Get a clue, Apple. Sometimes bigger IS better. 
  • Reply 14 of 36
    I like the present remote pretty much, I am glad it is not a big clunker with a million buttons like most devices have. I tend to use the remote a lot less than say a TV remote simply because whatever i watch does have commercials so it get used find content and at the end of watching finding something else. The less button also means I never need to look at it since all the commands of done by feel. I agree the remote is a bit light in weight but it is strong and after many falls nothing has broken off. 
    lkrupp
  • Reply 15 of 36
    sog35 said:
    Wish list for new remote:

1. Make it non-symetrical so I can tell by FEEL which side is the top/bottom without touching the touch pad (and executing a command I didn't intend)

1. Make it BIGGER. Damn man. I'm a little taller than average but the remote feels like a baby toy in my hands.

2. Make it more sturdy. Drop it once and the glass touch pad can shatter.

4. Mute button. Please. Please! Or at least a command that mutes accross all apps ( double click Siri button?)

5. Include a simple game pad with each ATV
    You can solve 1 - 3 easily on your own: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=apple+tv+remote+case

I have, and I like the remote more now.

4. I agree on a Mute button, that would be handy.

5. Not gonna happen.

I would like to see a Lock/Unlock button on the remote, for the remote itself. A simple button that once pressed, disables the rest of the remote, until it is pressed again. This would go a long way toward solving accidental input, and also unwanted input (if a child picks up the remote for instance).
  • Reply 16 of 36
    zroger73 said:

It doesn’t need a power button since you don’t need to turn it off.

And it certainly doesn’t need channel up/down buttons since it doesn’t have, you know, channels.
    But, it does need an "off" button - one that stops the current content from streaming and that sends the "off" signal to my TV and receiver using CEC. If I just walk away, whatever is streaming continues to stream needlessly consuming my monthly data allowance. If whatever is streaming ends and allows the ATV4 to sleep, my TV will eventually turn off after the ATV4 sleeps due to no signal. The receiver stays on. As it is, I can hold the "TV" button on the Siri remote that forces the ATV4 to sleep and also turns off my TV and receiver.

And, it does need "channel" buttons - ones that make it easy and familiar to quickly and easily change channels on services like Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, DirecTV NOW, Hulu with Live TV, and YouTube TV.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:
    Maybe they're going to LEAVE it symmetrical and let the gyroscope determine orientation so that your muscle memory button presses are correct no matter how you hold it!  :p
    Except that it’s NOT symmetrical. You guys must have pretty terrible feel in your hands. I can tell in the dark. I don’t know what your problems are.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    Except that it’s NOT symmetrical. You guys must have pretty terrible feel in your hands. I can tell in the dark. I don’t know what your problems are.
    Its too small, too thin, and too easy to accidentally trigger. Remember the round mouse? I love Apple but not every decision is winner.
    zroger73
  • Reply 19 of 36
    sog35 said:

There are already two easy ways to do that:

A. Lozenge-shaped button on right = correct orientation

B. Lightning charge slot on the bottom = correct orientation
  • Reply 20 of 36

zroger73 said:
    But, it does need an "off" button - one that stops the current content from streaming and that sends the "off" signal to my TV and receiver using CEC. If I just walk away, whatever is streaming continues to stream needlessly consuming my monthly data allowance. If whatever is streaming ends and allows the ATV4 to sleep, my TV will eventually turn off after the ATV4 sleeps due to no signal. The receiver stays on. As it is, I can hold the "TV" button on the Siri remote that forces the ATV4 to sleep and also turns off my TV and receiver.
    Stop or pause the stream, then press/hold the circular button with the TV icon. That brings up the 'Sleep' selection. 'Sleep' = 'Off' for ATV. 
    argonaut