Qualcomm says Android always first to new technology, takes aim at iPhone X features

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Q, Apple rarely does anything first but Apple does do almost everything better. 

Is it good to be first or better?
    edited September 2017 radarthekatbb-15
  • Reply 22 of 49
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    "Qualcomm has since countersued, claiming Apple's legal barrage is a gambit to secure lower licensing fees."

Qualcomm is correct.  Apple is definitely trying to secure lower licensing fees.  Because Qualcomm has been using its monopoly power to both skirt FRAND pricing and to double dip on licensing.  By their accusation directed toward Apple they invite Apple to show these facts to the world, and to the courts.
    tmaygregg thurmanfarmboy
  • Reply 23 of 49
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Maybe Apple should launch an iPhone every 2 weeks so they can claim first! on every new “feature”. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 49
    First? Meh. What works and is the best, is the utmost important. And that is iPhone.
    bb-15gregg thurmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 49
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    Wow, they think they own everyone else's technology - they are delusional.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Pioneers get the arrows, settlers get the land. 
    I don't know what would drive a company to post this kind of self-congratulations and Android worship on the eve of a major product launch from Apple. /s

No, but seriously, if you have to make a list of non-Apple phones with "firsts" because nobody remembers, well, what does that tell you?
    radarthekatpscooter63
  • Reply 27 of 49
    Newsflash - it's just been revealed that Apple did NOT invent the telephone !! Neither did they invent or discover the LCD, OLED, LioN battery, glass, aluminium, touch display, wrist watch, leather, JPEG encoding, digital camera, SIM, cellular phone technology, or IP37 rated devices. They were not first to market with any of it! I just don't know why people buy their blatantly derivative stuff!
    The iPod wasn't the first portable media player, but it will be the last one.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Qualcomm has gone nuclear and mad and stupid. That is a first they certainly has achieved marvelously.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Wow Qualcomm bitter much?! 
  • Reply 30 of 49
    How often do we hear these tired tropes. At least they can take some cold comfort in their lonely little world while Apple goes nukular on them in the coming battle.

FFIW, I started out my career in the mid 70's in a professional laboratory hand processing E3 and C22 film in a manual sink line, I mention this because colour fidelity was the key to getting along in this industry. Some of the most finicky photographers would bring their 120 rolls to get them processed rather than take them to large facilities. The reversal on E3 was done by hand meaning that one had to physically wave a bright incandescent light over the rolls after they went through the hardener. I had to unroll and hand reverse them for this otherwise there would be an almost imperceptible red colour shift, maybe about 2 or 3 CC. Later on in my career when early digital printing onto film may have taken 4 hours to run off an 11x14 tranny, if there was the tiniest colour shift between the test and the final, all hell would break loose. 

It was even worse with hand C type printing where a balance had to be made between skin tones neutrals and overall looks. This is all moot now with the miracles of end to end digital. But what I'm getting at is that I feel I am qualified to pass judgement on the Samsung OLED displays when I inspect them in a shop, which I do from time to time. I had a look at the new Galaxy S8 a few days ago against a iPhone 7 and speaking purely from an objective viewpoint the colour reproduction was abysmal. If I worked to that crappy standard I'd have been out of a job before I even started. The flesh tones are ridiculous, the contrast, the garishness everything is just wrong. I was quite surprised as I did expect something better. With top quality photos maybe it is fine, but when it comes down to images that are not perfect then it cannot find a balance that works.  I really don't understand all the praise that is heaped on them. Also the Galaxy S8 with it's curved screen is atrocious, really ugly in comparison to not just iPhone but some other Android devices. But there you go.
    Well frikkin said!!!
    gregg thurman
  • Reply 31 of 49
    I heard Leo Laporte do an ad for Qualcomm on TWiT. I did a double-take. I'm not sure how they can remain impartial when they need to discuss the ongoing case with Apple. They're a new sponsor - so they took a conscious decision to accept their money while knowing they'd probably need to discuss them again very soon. Not to mention Qualcomm itself stinks.

Although, I'm not sure why I was surprised since Leo sided with Qualcomm when he talked about the recent Apple dispute.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    There are dozens of Android smartphone manufacturers and each one of them can work on some new technology to put into their smartphones especially if they're making many various models. However, it can be quite expensive and rather risky to put lots of new technology into just one smartphone. Android can easily have a lot of firsts if you've got lots of companies making Android smartphones. Hey, that's good for Android. Apple does what it can and if it has to gradually put in new technology every year into an iPhone, then that's the way it has to be. I still believe the iPhone is advancing fast enough for most users or they wouldn't be paying a premium price for the product. I think Qualcomm should be happy for what it has and not worry about what Apple is doing. There is more than enough room on this planet for both companies to be successful and make money.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Buh-bye Qualcomm!
    gregg thurman
  • Reply 34 of 49
    sergioz said:
     I bet QUALCOMM is feeling frustrated right about now, because they have all this Tech and no real software to support it 😂
    But everyone says Android OS is so far ahead of iOS, so there shouldn't be any excuse for Qualcomm not getting enough software support. Heck, Google is even working for free developing and supporting Android OS for everyone.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Pioneers get the arrows, settlers get the land. 
    I don't know what would drive a company to post this kind of self-congratulations and Android worship on the eve of a major product launch from Apple. /s

No, but seriously, if you have to make a list of non-Apple phones with "firsts" because nobody remembers, well, what does that tell you?
    "If a tree falls in the forest, and theres nobody around to hear it, did it make a noise?"

The Android models were first to have advanced features were in the greater than $400 category.  Apple dominates this category with 80+% worldwide share.  Raise the category's price threshold to $500 and the iPhone commands 90+% worldwide share.

Qualcomm can claim "firsts" all they want but Android consumers didn't buy their handset because of what it can do, they bought because of Android's low price.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    You know who wasn't first to put a radio in a car? Lamborghini.

Read more Qualcomm whining at qualcomm.hissyfit.com

pscooter63
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Is it better to be world's first or world's best and most reliable?

also they forgot world's first self exploding phone. 😂
  • Reply 38 of 49
    disgruntle partner !!!
  • Reply 39 of 49
    sergioz said:
     I bet QUALCOMM is feeling frustrated right about now, because they have all this Tech and no real software to support it ߘ⦬t;/div>
    For every GSM iPhone sold, Apple pays a royalty license to Qualcomm.    Are they frustrated?   More like Tim Cook is frustrated Apple has to pay the high license fees.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 40 of 49
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Funny out they leave out 64-bit, where Apple was FIRST by a long shot. Their list is a joke. Some clueless person didn't fact checked very well. So much in a rush to get this list released yesterday, a day before Apple's Press Conference. I don't know if it's just sad of them to release such garbage or to laugh at them for this junk.
    Blunt