Apple debuts $999 iPhone X with OLED Super Retina Display & Face ID authentication

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
Apple has officially unveiled the future of the smartphone in the OLED iPhone X, the company's nod to the tenth anniversary of the iPhone itself in a presentation at the venue named after the founder of Apple -- Steve Jobs Theater.

The iPhone X (Ten) Super Retina Display is edge to edge, and has a HDR 2436 by 1125 resolution at 458 pixels per inch -- and no home button. As predicted, a notch is cut out of the top of the screen for the speaker, forward-facing camera, and the new 3D facial recognition sensor.

Speaking to other design features, the phone has a glass back, vaguely reminiscent of the back of the iPhone 4. A "surgical-grade" stainless steel frame surrounds the device.

Home button functions are replaced by a swipe up. Siri in invoked by pressing and holding the button on the right hand side of the device.

Face ID

The iPhone X is locked until the user looks at the phone, and it recognizes the user. The feature, called Face ID, Apple is calling the future of smartphone unlocking.

The TrueDepth camera system is made up of four components including an infrared camera, a flood illuminator, a dot projector, and the front camera.

The combination of sensors generates a 3d map of the face, and isn't reliant on image comparison. Rather, the system compares the mathematical models of the stored face and the face in the front of the camera's sensors with machine learning with a new A11 Bionic neural engine.

Apple claims that hats, hairstyles, glasses, or makeup will make no difference to identification, and will adapt to the user as the face changes over time. The phone will not unlock if the user's eyes or closed, or its looking away from the phone.

At launch, the system will work with Apple Pay, and third-party apps as well.

Technical details

The device is powered with the A11 Bionic processor. Where the A10 in the iPhone 7 family had a pair of high power cores, and a pair of high efficiency cores, the new processor boosts the number of high efficiency cores to four.

Connectivity is provided by 4G LTE radios from an unknown vendor, 802.11ac wi-fi, and Bluetooth 5.0. The Lightning port capable of quick-charge, similar to that in the iPad Pro. The iPhone X can also be wirelessly charged, using the open Qi protocol.

Regarding the camera, Apple has retained 12 megapixel sensors in the rear shooter iPhone X, with a new vertical dual-camera array similar to that in the iPhone 7 Plus. As improvements over the iPhone 7 Plus, the camera has dual optical image stabilization instead of just one one lens, and quad-LED True Tone flash.

The same features that were announced for the iPhone 8 had regarding the dual sensor array, including portrait mode, optical zoom, and portrait lighting mode are in the iPhone X as well.

Apple also notes that the iPhone 8 will last up to two more hours of battery life.

Testing conducted by Apple in August 2017 using preproduction iPhone X units and software and accessory Apple USB-C Power Adapters of 29W and above charge the device "up to 50 percent in 30 minutes" from completely drained -- but at additional cost. The iPhone X ships with a 5W USB-A charger.

Apple gave a sneak peek at a multi-device charging unit as well it calls AirPower. The AirPower is new charging pad can charge the Apple Watch Series 3, iPhone X, and new optional Apple AirPods Wireless Charging case. The AirPower charger will ship in 2018

The iPhone X will sell for $999 for 64GB of storage, with the 256GB model listed at $1149. Color options are silver or space gray.

Apple notes that pre-orders start on Oct. 27, with the first wave of devices scheduled to arrive on Nov 3. It is not clear how constrained supplies will be when they start shipping, or when any will appear at retail.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 352
    you know all those negative on the stock will start pushing the idea of "what happens if people don't like face ID or it doesn't work and they start returning the phone"....exacerbated by the snafu on stage before grabbing the backup phone during the demo
    cali
  • Reply 2 of 352
    Looks great. Instant buy for my girlfriend when it comes out.....wait for it.......later in November. Just like everyone on here said it won’t be shipped late. 

OLED screen will be awesome. Pretty much a fantastic product that I can’t wait to get in a few months when it’s released. 

It was funny how FaceID failed the first time it was shown. I’m still buy two of them. 

Oh oh and how about that wireless pad most said Apple would have? Next year you’ll be right. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 3 of 352
    AirPower? ROFL. Seriously who thinks up these names?
    edited September 2017 brucemcjbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 352
    $1800 in NZ. OUCH. 
    Jordanf1
  • Reply 5 of 352
    I’m seeing techies on Twitter saying they’re not blown away by iPhone X.  So what exactly would blow them away? 
    caliStrangeDayspulseimagessergioztdknoxpatchythepiratemacxpressinteliboyjahbladebrucemc
  • Reply 6 of 352
    Looks like basically everything was scooped by the "disgruntled employee." Still fun to watch.

And, Kuo may be owed an apology: he called the third-party wireless charging (although, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't wait to wait for Apple's version).
    Jordanf1jony0
  • Reply 7 of 352

hentaiboy said:
    What would you call it, marketing genius?
    califastasleepcornchipjahbladeredgeminipaSpamSandwichwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 352

hentaiboy said:
    What would you call it, marketing genius?
    Wireless charging. 
    tallest skilaylktyler82saltyzip
  • Reply 9 of 352
    I didn't notice but was the size of iPhone X compared to iPhone 8 and 8+? I know they mentioned 5.8" screen but how tall and wide is it?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 352
    Looks like basically everything was scooped by the "disgruntled employee." Still fun to watch.

And, Kuo may be owed an apology: he called the third-party wireless charging (although, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't wait to wait for Apple's version).
    Why wait when it's all the same tech. Absolutely no reason to wait at all. 
  • Reply 11 of 352
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I’m seeing techies on Twitter saying they’re not blown away by iPhone X.  So what exactly would blow them away? 
    Well, Apple doesn't build kit for techies. And since we already knew what was coming then it's not all that surprising that they weren't blown away. 

To to be honest, if techies on Twitter did actually like it then I'm afraid Apple would have a turkey on its hands. 
    anton zuykovBluntbill42pscooter63tdknoxbrucemcargonautredgeminipawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 352
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    the presentation seemed a bit off today, lacking in something. 

The X is good but maybe not as good as it could have been if they had gotten touchID to work. I actually think that the ARKit and the emotes will be big on both new devices. 
    redgeminipawatto_cobraCaocao888
  • Reply 13 of 352
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    Available to order 10/27.

If anyone is interested in any classic pre-owned internal organs, body parts or male and female spawn please visit my eBay store.
    edited September 2017 fastasleepslprescottjahbladebeowulfschmidtredgeminipajony0
  • Reply 14 of 352

So the iPhone X looks about the same size as an iPhone 6 or 7, does anyone know of the dimensions?

nvm apple website is back up 

Iphone X

iPhone 8

edited September 2017 cyberzombietdknoxpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 352
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Guess this guy is wrong again:

• Reply 16 of 352
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Where does the "Air" come in? Everything's sitting on a mat. 

rich gregoryirelandlarryatyler82therealestmcjbdragonidtechfan
  • Reply 17 of 352
    I didn't notice but was the size of iPhone X compared to iPhone 8 and 8+? I know they mentioned 5.8" screen but how tall and wide is it?
    iPhone X is 5.65" x 2.79" and the iPhone 8 Plus is 6.24" x 3.07"
  • Reply 18 of 352
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Looks great. Instant buy for my girlfriend when it comes out.....wait for it.......later in November. Just like everyone on here said it won’t be shipped late.
    Everyone? I'm not even sure how anyone could think that's out of the question considering Apple's history with their most groundbreaking products.
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 352
    It's cool. I can't afford one. Will need to wait. 

I'm guessing the FaceID will be popular with law enforcement. Maybe that's a feature and not a bug.
  • Reply 20 of 352
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    256GB model is $1,149  :o
    beowulfschmidtschlack