Apple's AirPower wireless charging pad charges up to 3 devices, to launch in 2018

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Apple at its special media event on Tuesday offered a sneak peek at AirPower, a branded wireless charging mat capable of charging up to three devices simultaneously.

As rumored, Apple introduced a trio of new iPhone handsets, including an OLED iPhone X model, at its special event, each of which boast glass backs to facilitate wireless charging. The company failed to launch a branded wireless charger, instead relying on partnerships with Belkin, Mophie and other third parties.

Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller, however, offered a sneak peek at a charging pad called AirPower. Designed by Apple, the all white, ovaloid mat can charge iPhone, Apple Watch and a new wireless-compatible AirPods case at the same time. Schiller claims the device has the potential to change the wireless charging paradigm, one set in large part by handsets running Google's Android operating system.

Not much is known about AirPower aside from what little information can be gleaned from a few photos and a promotional iPhone X video. Aesthetically, AirPower takes after other Apple accessories like the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock, with an all-white exterior and minimal design flourishes.

AirPower appears to be connected to its charging puck -- wattage unknown -- via a single Lightning cable. The pad itself is large enough to comfortably fit an iPhone X, Apple Watch and an AirPods case, but there is little room left for much else.

Seen in a short promotional video aired during today's keynote, iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X, as well as Apple Watch, play a special tone and onscreen animation when they connect to a wireless charging pad. Whether that alert will be customized for AirPower is unclear.

Apple failed to mention pricing for AirPower, and Schiller did not offer an expected launch timeline. Apple later posted a dedicated webpage for the device, saying it will arrive in 2018.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    if you have connected loop wristband how will inductive charging work with that pad?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I am confused with the watch being able to be recharged... does it mean only the Series 3 or does Series 2 and older watches also get support with AirPower? It would be a great convenience to have everything powered on a mat than to have to plug in with a few cables.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 28
    I ike it...I bought the AppleWatch Pad for my daughter and one for myself and we both really love it. It's a small thing, but not having to plug devices in is fantastic. And to be able to travel with only one cable is a big plus! :)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 28
    I'd bet a shiny nickel that the wireless-charging Airpod case was definitely ready for the Airpod release, but held back to hold the (spoiled) surprise of an all-wireless-charging iPhone future at this keynote.

I suppose we can look forward to AirPower charging mice, keyboards, and Apple Pencils down the road.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 5 of 28
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Phil said series 3 I believe.

I would have been more excited if it was wireless charging at a distance, so you could use the iPhone while it charges.
    Having to put it and keep it on a specific spot to charge is not a key selling point.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 6 of 28
    The company failed to launch a branded wireless charger”

“Apple failed to mention pricing”

...Define failure, please. If it wasn’t a goal for the event it can’t be said to be a failure. 
    Are you aware of your loaded language? The subtext of this writing style is to cast a negative connotation. Most peculiar. 
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 7 of 28

Eric_WVGG said:
    I'd bet a shiny nickel that the wireless-charging Airpod case was definitely ready for the Airpod release, but held back to hold the (spoiled) surprise of an all-wireless-charging iPhone future at this keynote.
    No, I doubt this very much. Airpods haven’t even caught up to demand yet so I doubt they had wireless charging ready, considering the mat for such a feature isn’t near ready today let alone an entire year ago. 
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 28
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I wonder if the new airpods have the W2 chip?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 28
    “The company failed to launch a branded wireless charger”

...Define failure, please. If it wasn’t a goal for the event it can’t be said to be a failure. Are you aware of your loaded language? The subtext of this writing style is to cast a negative connotation. Most peculiar. 
    failure - the omission of expected or required action.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    I wonder what the limitations on the pad will be. They showed with one of each device, but is it limited to three thingies? Can it it charge four? or maybe two phones and a watch simultaneously, or three phones etc. Can't wait to find out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 28
    aylk said:
    “The company failed to launch a branded wireless charger”

...Define failure, please. If it wasn’t a goal for the event it can’t be said to be a failure. Are you aware of your loaded language? The subtext of this writing style is to cast a negative connotation. Most peculiar. 
    failure - the omission of expected or required action.
    Required by whom? If Apple didn’t say they were going to announce a new charging mat today, which they didn’t, then they cannot have failed since it wasn’t a stated goal. It doesn’t matter what you want now in hindsight. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 28
    I ike it...I bought the AppleWatch Pad for my daughter and one for myself and we both really love it. It's a small thing, but not having to plug devices in is fantastic. And to be able to travel with only one cable is a big plus! :)

Agreed! I bought one thinking it would be a superfluous purchase that only an uber fan would really appreciate, but I really love it, and I think it'd be worth it for a lot of people. Being able to toss your watch on the pad *and* to have it effortlessly go into night mode is really great.* I have it sitting on the corner of my mattress so that I just tap the bed next to it if I need to know what time it is (for those that aren't aware, the accelerometer turns on the clock briefly).
    *I hope Apple has an option soon to dim the night mode screen brightness; I have to turn it mostly away from me when I'm sleeping at night.

I imagine I'll keep my watch pad along with getting the AirPower pad, which will come in handy when I have an, um, guest spend the night.* Lol.
    *AirPower seems like it'd be the perfect size for two phones.
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 28
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    entropys said:

I would have been more excited if it was wireless charging at a distance, so you could use the iPhone while it charges.
    Having to put it and keep it on a specific spot to charge is not a key selling point.
    Who do you think you are, Nikola Tesla?
    fastasleepRayz2016
  • Reply 14 of 28
    I was just thinking the other day, how many chargers and cables I bring when I travel, this is perfect for the nightstand, and for those texts after you plugged it in, unplug to read or do something then plug back in, it will be nice just to pick it up. I wonder if the Belkin pad will charge the apple watch 3 or airpods, even if it's just one at a time.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    entropys said:

Is there such a thing as wireless charging "at a distance" - and if so what kind of electric device and at what distance?
  • Reply 16 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    pvonk said:
    entropys said:

Is there such a thing as wireless charging "at a distance" - and if so what kind of electric device and at what distance?
    There is, and there are so many issues that it's unreasonable that people would expect Apple to have done something in this field that didn't already exist in the market already. For example, today they introduced Qi charging for devices that aren't yet shipping yet the Qi standard is nearly a decade old, the wireless charging standard for most of that, and has had established inclusion with many businesses for years which means it's right on queue for Apple to adopt and streamline it into their products.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 17 of 28
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I can't believe it won't be until next year that Apple releases the charging pad.  I mean come in.  A couple interns could have designed and got it ready for release on launch day.  It's not rocket science.  It's simple inductive charging.  Something that's been around for years.  The same way my electric toothbrush charges up.

I can't believe the late rumor was true.   There really want anything that hasn't leaked this year.  No real surprises, and many things not even talked about.

doozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    This is a compelling product other than the fact that it consumes a rather large chunk of counter/table top real estate when not in use. Perhaps third parties will integrate it into the top side of a clock radio or something that's already consuming space on a tabletop. It also negates the use of nightstand mode on the Apple Watch. The "AirPower" name sounds more like the title of a Tom Clancy novel and is decidely not very Apple-like. 
  • Reply 19 of 28
    entropys said:
    I wonder if the new airpods have the W2 chip?
    No new AirPods, just a new charging case for them which supports Qi charging.
  • Reply 20 of 28

netrox said:
    I am confused with the watch being able to be recharged... does it mean only the Series 3 or does Series 2 and older watches also get support with AirPower? It would be a great convenience to have everything powered on a mat than to have to plug in with a few cables.
    From what they said, AirPower is a Qi charging pad with some internal "magic" to let it effectively charge multiple devices. It should work with every Apple Watch which has been released, including the original model (from before Series 1).
    watto_cobra