Apple debuts $999 iPhone X with OLED Super Retina Display & Face ID authentication

Comments

• Reply 21 of 352
    I still don't understand the vertical camera array. The only way it makes most sense is in landscape mode but in portrait mode the depth perception will be out of whack. There's a reason our eyes are side by side horizontally and not vertically.
    macplusplus
  • Reply 22 of 352
    New case for the iPhone 10 which is a bit like a wallet. Allows you to store cards and stuff. But $99.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MQRY2ZM/A/iphone-x-leather-folio-taupe?fnode=99
    edited September 2017 Ofer
  • Reply 23 of 352
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Not a single use of the word 'facial' in the entire presentation.  But they did use both 'face recognition' and 'face authentication.'  Just sayin.
    rich gregoryStrangeDayspscooter63beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 352
    I still don't understand the vertical camera array. The only way it makes most sense is in landscape mode but in portrait mode the depth perception will be out of whack. There's a reason our eyes are side by side horizontally and not vertically.
    I hope that gets people to stop filming videos vertically. 
    stompyflyingdpanton zuykovmacplusplusclexmangeorgie01patchythepiratefastasleepargonautredgeminipa
  • Reply 25 of 352
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Well, I don't know how well this is going to work, but I'm pretty sure that FaceID is not a last minute switch because they couldn't get TouchID to work. This looks like something they've been sitting on for years, but didn't have the processing power to make it work instaneously. 

I was concerned that it wouldn't be as reliable as TouchID, and Craig's demo didn't do anything to help with that. 

That is a lot tech going on there. 

Works if you grow a beard.
    Works at night. 
    Works (I think) at an angle. 
    Won't trigger if you're not looking at the phone, or if you're eyes are closed, which will stop the kids raiding your bank account while you're asleep. 

I'll wait and see, but at least they didn't put a fingerprint reader on the back. 
    edited September 2017 radarthekatStrangeDayscanukstormjahbladeredgeminipaargonaut
  • Reply 26 of 352
    asdasd said:
    the presentation seemed a bit off today, lacking in something. 

The X is good but maybe not as good as it could have been if they had gotten touchID to work. I actually think that the ARKit and the emotes will be big on both new devices. 
    They didn’t show letterboxing with video. Will be kind of strange to watch video with the camera notch there. Also no mention of the changes made to the status bar to accommodate the notch. They should have cut the game demos to give more time to the iPhone X segment.
    flyingdpredgeminipa
  • Reply 27 of 352
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I myself was a little underwhelmed with the IPX.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's their best phone yet from a technology perspective.  I might still get one as my iP6+ is beginning to show its age after three years.  

I'm not a fan of any facial-recognition to unlock/control a phone.  I ride a motorcycle every day and I'm curious how it will work while I'm still wearing my helmet.  For the time being... I'm remaining neutral on it until I see it in person.  I might just go with an iP8 instead.

Either way, great job Apple. It's a nice evolution of an already amazing phone.
    Oferbobby88
  • Reply 28 of 352
    Home screen does a good job of hiding the notch. But I was hoping Apple would announce dark mode for iOS as that would hide it better in apps too.

edited September 2017 dws-2macxpress
  • Reply 29 of 352
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    I’m seeing techies on Twitter saying they’re not blown away by iPhone X.  So what exactly would blow them away? 

Android updates?
    lkruppStrangeDayspscooter63macxpressbrucemcsuddenly newtonredgeminipaMetriacanthosauruswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 30 of 352
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

I’m seeing techies on Twitter saying they’re not blown away by iPhone X.  So what exactly would blow them away? 
    Their wives?
    edited September 2017 anantksundaramRayz2016RonnnieOmacxpresswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 31 of 352
    asdasd said:
    the presentation seemed a bit off today, lacking in something.
    White guys in matching blue shirts is kinda funny...

I am no public speaker and do not like having to be in that role, but Tim Cook absolutely sucks and is not inspiring what so ever. Every thing that comes out of his mouth is forced and any attempt at humor is cringe worthy.
    flyingdpbrucemccopywriternow
  • Reply 32 of 352
    Air Power looks more like Table Power. Been charging my controllers like that for years, but very nice to have and looking forward to it. Face ID looks great, so all I have to do is get someone to look at their phone and I've unlocked it. Fantastic! Question: Can it look at me horizontally? I unlock the phone a hundred times a day on my desk, so can I still unlock it with my finger or do I have to pick up the phone or move myself to look at it? Maybe that'll be part of HealthKit. ;) I'm sure we'll get answers to all that soon enough. The phone looks absolutely spectacular and those specs are beyond words amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on that camera. :) Just pondering...
    brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 352
    A shotgun blast? 
    OfermacseekerRayz2016pscooter63RonnnieOredgeminipawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 34 of 352
    Rayz2016 said:
    I was concerned that it wouldn't be as reliable as TouchID, and Craig's demo didn't do anything to help with that. 
    I would guess that they already know it will be more reliable than Touch ID. Touch ID can get thrown off just by your skin being dry. 
    copywriternow
  • Reply 35 of 352
    hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:
    AirPower? ROFL. Seriously who thinks up these names?
    What would you call it, marketing genius?
    Wireless charging. 
    Nothing prevents you from calling it that. Just as nothing prevents you calling it the Apple wireless earbuds, Apple wireless stylus, Apple wireless mouse, etc.

Sounds to me like silly complaining.
    StrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 352
    Well, I have had every iPhone up until now.  Unless AT&T kicks in a nice trade in like they did last year, we are going to bow out.  Price not worth the features.  I think all these tech companies are going to drive the consumer away.  Yes face ID is nice, but 1:50,000 for touch ID is safe enough for me.  What on this phone is a necessity that a current phone doesn't already do?  Is it sinking in yet to anybody else that the cost benefit analysis is dwindling?
    dws-2brucemccopywriternowredgeminipa
  • Reply 37 of 352
    Rayz2016 said:
    I would guess that they already know it will be more reliable than Touch ID. Touch ID can get thrown off just by your skin being dry. 
    Or wet.
    dws-2copywriternowredgeminipaargonaut
  • Reply 38 of 352
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    $899
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 39 of 352
    Well, I have had every iPhone up until now.  Unless AT&T kicks in a nice trade in like they did last year, we are going to bow out.  Price not worth the features.  I think all these tech companies are going to drive the consumer away.  Yes face ID is nice, but 1:50,000 for touch ID is safe enough for me.  What on this phone is a necessity that a current phone doesn't already do?  Is it sinking in yet to anybody else that the cost benefit analysis is dwindling?  When is cool not enough.....I think we are at the doorstep to that.
    brucemc
  • Reply 40 of 352
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I think FaceID can be easily compromised by hard core criminals.
    williamlondonnumenorean