Apple debuts $999 iPhone X with OLED Super Retina Display & Face ID authentication

Comments

• Reply 41 of 352

hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:
    AirPower? ROFL. Seriously who thinks up these names?
    What would you call it, marketing genius?
    Wireless charging. 
    Nothing prevents you from calling it that. Just as nothing prevents you calling it the Apple wireless earbuds ('AirPods'), Apple wireless stylus ('Pencil'), Apple wireless mouse ('Magic Mouse'), etc.

Sounds to me like silly complaining.
    calimike1jony0
  • Reply 42 of 352
    sflocal said:
    I'm not a fan of any facial-recognition to unlock/control a phone.  I ride a motorcycle every day and I'm curious how it will work while I'm still wearing my helmet.  For 
    For non-visor, probably not an issue. For a visor style, that's a bit more iffy. Depends on what percentage of the face needs to still be visible to work. They did show people wearing hats, glasses, and scarves etc., so I suppose there's a chance that you could raise the visor and still get it to work. 
    edited September 2017 redgeminipa
  • Reply 43 of 352

eightzero said:
    It's cool. I can't afford one. Will need to wait. 

I'm guessing the FaceID will be popular with law enforcement. Maybe that's a feature and not a bug.
    No different from law enforcement ordering you to unlock your phone by using TouchID. With FaceID, you can always look away, or close your eyes, the act (and consequences) of which would be no different than your refusing to place your finger on the TouchID button.

In other words, it's not clear to me there's any qualitative difference between the two.
    edited September 2017 radarthekatStrangeDaysstompyRayz2016pscooter63iqatedoredgeminipamike1argonaut
  • Reply 44 of 352
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I’m seeing techies on Twitter saying they’re not blown away by iPhone X.  So what exactly would blow them away? 
    Anything that Samsung or Google comes out with that doesn’t work.
    calilkruppStrangeDayspscooter63zroger73patchythepiratebrucemcredgeminipaMetriacanthosauruswatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 352
    I still don't understand the vertical camera array. The only way it makes most sense is in landscape mode but in portrait mode the depth perception will be out of whack. There's a reason our eyes are side by side horizontally and not vertically.
    I hope that gets people to stop filming videos vertically. 
    a plot twist. Apple decided to end video-shot-vertically-curse once and for all.
    mike1watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 46 of 352

hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:
    What would you call it, marketing genius?
    Wireless charging. 
    Airpower sounds pretty good. And you do need a brand name for features. That’s true particularly that Apple added new features to it that’s not (yet) part of the Qi standard.
    edited September 2017 pscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 47 of 352
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I still don't understand the vertical camera array. The only way it makes most sense is in landscape mode but in portrait mode the depth perception will be out of whack. There's a reason our eyes are side by side horizontally and not vertically.
    I don't know.  When I'm laying down, on my side, so my eyes are oriented vertically, I still have depth perception.  Don't you? 
    edited September 2017 anantksundarampscooter63fastasleepslprescottkingofsomewherehotbeowulfschmidtredgeminipaanton zuykovwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 48 of 352
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Key feature of the iPhone X is the neural network processor. That's where the future is. 
    melgrossredgeminipaanton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 352
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Where does the "Air" come in? Everything's sitting on a mat. 
    MatPower.

Or Matt Power ;-)
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 50 of 352

eightzero said:

I'm guessing the FaceID will be popular with law enforcement. Maybe that's a feature and not a bug.
    Were you listening to the presentation? You need to have your eyes open for it to work. They can’t force you to do that. Besides, I just can’t understand what it is that some people are so concerned about with that. What are you planning to do that this would be a problem? Should we be reporting you to the FBI?
    mobirdjony0
  • Reply 51 of 352
    So what happened to copper/bronze phone that everyone was comparing to the Zune? Or the one with the white bezel? I’ll bet any money these weren’t even real Apple models.
    radarthekatmacxpressanton zuykov
  • Reply 52 of 352
    US $ 1625 for this?! No way! 
    williamlondonmakeintosh
  • Reply 53 of 352
    sflocal said:
    I'm not a fan of any facial-recognition to unlock/control a phone.  I ride a motorcycle every day and I'm curious how it will work while I'm still wearing my helmet.  For 
    For non-visor, probably not an issue. For a visor style, that's a bit more iffy. Depends on what percentage of the face needs to still be visible to work. They did show people wearing hats, glasses, and scarves etc., so I suppose there's a chance that you could raise the visor and still get it to work. 
    I was thinking the same, but I can never open my iPhone with my gloves anyway. So if I have to stop anyway to take a glove off, I might as well type in my code.
    dws-2redgeminipa
  • Reply 54 of 352
    asdasd said:
    the presentation seemed a bit off today, lacking in something. 

The X is good but maybe not as good as it could have been if they had gotten touchID to work. I actually think that the ARKit and the emotes will be big on both new devices. 
    They didn’t show letterboxing with video. Will be kind of strange to watch video with the camera notch there. Also no mention of the changes made to the status bar to accommodate the notch. They should have cut the game demos to give more time to the iPhone X segment.
    In the past, they’ve taken more time, like last year, when they thought they needed it. As they ended a bit short of 2 hours, they could have stuffed 5 more minutes into it if they felt they needed to.

having said that, gaming is the biggest app category, by far, and has the most downloads, by far. Therefor, it deserves a large segment.
    jony0
  • Reply 55 of 352
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    melgross said:
    eightzero said:

Were you listening to the presentation? You need to have your eyes open for it to work. They can’t force you to do that. Besides, I just can’t understand what it is that some people are so concerned about with that. What are you planning to do that this would be a problem? Should we be reporting you to the FBI?
    How about what others could do with access to every detail about your life? Would you also say the Equifax hack is something no one should be concerned with unless they are a criminal? I'm guessing you wouldn't and yet my iPhone stores all the same data plus a shitload more than any credit bureau could ever have on file. 
    calibeowulfschmidtredgeminipawatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 56 of 352
    Was expecting a carrier free version for the iPhone X.  Maybe could happen later.
    cali
  • Reply 57 of 352
    hentaiboy said:
    Silly name, that's true.
    Maybe they mean OverTheAirPower .
  • Reply 58 of 352

tzeshan said:
    I think FaceID can be easily compromised by hard core criminals.
    Did you really think, or are you just saying it? As they said, no security is perfect, but this is pretty good. They even made a point of saying that it’s the best “consumer” technology, recognizing that governmental and large corporate systems, with their supervision of the site itself being a part of it, are more secure. Military installations that use fingerprint or iris recognition have two armed guards watching to make sure nobody does anything to cheat the system.
    edited September 2017 redgeminipa
  • Reply 59 of 352
    melgross said:

eightzero said:

I like the use of "what do you have to hide?" when a question about privacy comes up. Well played. And I'm not playing. Luck with that.

The presentation said faceID works if you later adopt glasses. I'm guessing you'll need to remove sunglasses (much like you needed to remove gloves for touchID.) It would be cool if someone at AI can confirm from the demo area.

I do concede that there is jurisprudence involving forcing individuals in custody to perform, and this is perhaps no different. 

I trust Apple to get it right. Eventually. They have been proactive in protecting their customer's privacy. There was a rumor that iOS11 had a disabling feature for touchID - click it 5 times, and you need a passcode. But of course, you need to possess the iPhone (have it in your hand) to do that. Or hay - maybe you can quickly tell Siri: "Siri, passcode my iPhone." Ohhh...that would be cool.
  • Reply 60 of 352
    US $ 1625 for this?! No way! 
    No. $999 for 64GB, and $1149 for 256Gb. Where did you come up with that number?
    edited September 2017 anton zuykovpscooter63caliredgeminipamike1