Apple unveils 4.7-inch iPhone 8 & 5.5-inch iPhone 8 Plus, shipping Sept. 22 starting at $6...

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
At its Tuesday press event Apple introduced the direct successors to 2016's iPhone 7 series, the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus -- equipped with 4.7- and 5.5-inch LCD displays, and the company's new six-core A11 Bionic processor.

The A11 has two high-performance cores said to be 25 percent faster than the A10, and four high-efficiency cores that are 70 percent faster. An Apple-designed GPU is said to deliver a 30 percent speed boost. Also attached is a new image signal processor, providing faster autofocus in low light, improved pixel processing, and better noise reduction.

Beyond the A11, other changes include support for Qi wireless charging, and an according switch from aluminum backs to glass. The phones now also offer the True Tone technology previously limited to iPads, which matches a display's color temperature with ambient light.

Unlike the iPhone X, the 8 and 8 Plus continue to use physical home buttons with Touch ID. Storage options are limited to 64 and 256 gigabytes.

In addition to a bigger display, advantages of the Plus include a dual-lens camera with 2x optical zoom, and support for the iOS camera app's Portrait mode, which simulates bokeh to blur the background behind a subject. New is Portrait Lighting, debuting in beta status, which uses machine learning to enhance images with presets like "Contour," "Stage," and "Studio" light.

Both phones use 12-megapixel rear cameras, which Apple says have been specially calibrated for augmented reality, including pairing with new gyroscope and accelerometer sensors. The devices also have an Apple-designed video encoder, and can shoot in 4K at up to 60 frames per second, or in 1080p at up to 240 frames per second.

Onboard speakers are 25 percent louder, and should also provide deeper bass. Like the iPhone 7, the products are IP67-rated against water and dust.

Preorders are slated to begin on Friday, Sept. 15, and arrive on shelves and doorsteps starting Sept. 22. U.S. prices start at $699 for the iPhone 8, and $799 for the 8 Plus. iPhone Upgrade Program customers will have to pay at least $34.50 and $39.50 per month, respectively. Just three colors will be available: silver, space gray, and a new shade of gold.

Initial launch regions will include Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, mainland China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, the UAE, the U.K., the U.S., and the Virgin Islands.

A second wave of launches is due Sept. 29, bringing the phones to Andorra, Bahrain, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Greenland, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, India, the Isle of Man, Israel, Jersey, Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Malta, Monaco, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, and Slovenia.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    IPhone X was mentioned many times and I said July 2016 that it would be the name of the phone this year.  Now just waiting for the price.....
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 2 of 36
    cr@p - I mean this is a seriously underwhelming upgrade from the 7
    edited September 2017 calischlack
  • Reply 3 of 36
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    I am a tadd disappointed that the smaller 8 still doesn't have the super camera from the iPhone 7-plus.    I am not a fan of the larger size device.  
    cornchipschlackThe_Martini_Catdoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 36
    kkqd1337 said:
    cr@p - I mean this is a seriously underwhelming upgrade from the 7
    i can see your point...AR KIT is only compatible starting with the 6S and up, so those iphone 6 owners might be pushed for a new phone. If you have the 7, depending on your uses, i can see people holding on
  • Reply 5 of 36
    I was pleasantly surprised that the iPhone 8 had wireless charging at all. Sort of strange to have the 8 and X use the same processor, too…
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Hm.  So now your options for a plus model are:

$799 for a 64gb version or 
    $949 for a 256gb version.

The 128GB from last year was a perfect size.  If they wanted to reduce the  number of skus in the supply chain, they did so by only having three colors. 

And I guess the Jet Black was just a one year thing?  Sure seems like a lot of R&D gone to waste. 

Seems like a pretty weak lineup.  
  • Reply 7 of 36
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I legit thought this was the end of the event.

i jumped and screamed when they showed off the X. See how cool it feels to avoid rumors and leaks?
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Well, I have had every iPhone up until now.  Unless AT&T kicks in a nice trade in like they did last year, we are going to bow out.  Price not worth the features.  I think all these tech companies are going to drive the consumer away.  Yes face ID is nice, but 1:50,000 for touch ID is safe enough for me.  What on this phone is a necessity that a current phone doesn't already do?  Is it sinking in yet to anybody else that the cost benefit analysis is dwindling?  When is cool not enough.....I think we are at the doorstep to that.
    london11
  • Reply 9 of 36
    I was very impressed... I have the Apple Watch charging pad and love it. Just to lay the watch down at night rather than fiddling with a connector is pretty cool. it will be great with the iPhone, AirPods and AppleWatch!

To up the security from 1 in 50,000 w/ TouchID to 1 in 1,000,000 is incredible. 2 more hours of battery life. I like the ease of opening. Good spot to open Control center and nice how you can "throw" the app back into it's icon. 

This is what Apple does evolutionary improvements. I would say this is a serious upgrade. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 36
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Why are people talking about the X here? 

The 8 is for me for sure. 
    cornchipmacplusplusicoco3doozydozencaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Even after it's official announcement, no idea why anyone would want the iPhone 8/8 Plus as opposed to the iPhone X. I heard people saying price would be the main reason but with the new price Apple is charging for the 6s and 7 series phones I would never pay full price for the 8. Upgrades don't seem worth it. Definitely getting the 256GB iPhone X as soon as possible. 
    london11
  • Reply 12 of 36
    At least they bumped up base storage to 64GB.

Well, I have had every iPhone up until now.  Unless AT&T kicks in a nice trade in like they did last year, we are going to bow out.  Price not worth the features.  I think all these tech companies are going to drive the consumer away.  Yes face ID is nice, but 1:50,000 for touch ID is safe enough for me.  What on this phone is a necessity that a current phone doesn't already do?  Is it sinking in yet to anybody else that the cost benefit analysis is dwindling?  When is cool not enough.....I think we are at the doorstep to that.

I don't think the typical phone customer upgrades every year.  No wonder you're not interested.
    StrangeDaysmacplusplus
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Glad I got my iPhone 7 128GB last October (for an iPhone 6 trade in + $150) and didn't wait for the iPhone 8/X...would have been disappointed to pay $800+ for one of these phones.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 14 of 36
    The iPhone X is definitely a great looking device with amazing capabilities.  The only thing that gives me pause is Face ID.  Sometimes I wonder if Apple gets so caught up in being cool, they forget to ask how people actually use these things.  Like grabbing the phone off the nightstand in the dark to check a text.  With Touch ID, I reach over, grab the phone with my thumb on the sensor and give it a quick glance.  With the X, you'd have to stare into the thing and hope the IR camera can adequately scan your face in the dark.  Or, how 'bout the quick glance in the car.  I don't want to have to pick up the phone and hold it in front of my face.  And no, I'm not an advocate of viewing a phone while driving, but let's face it, there are times many of us want to give a quick look while minimizing the time our eyes are off the road.  Just seems like a feature that has more negatives than positives...
    caliicoco3
  • Reply 15 of 36
    The iPhone X is definitely a great looking device with amazing capabilities.  The only thing that gives me pause is Face ID.  Sometimes I wonder if Apple gets so caught up in being cool, they forget to ask how people actually use these things.  Like grabbing the phone off the nightstand in the dark to check a text.  With Touch ID, I reach over, grab the phone with my thumb on the sensor and give it a quick glance.  With the X, you'd have to stare into the thing and hope the IR camera can adequately scan your face in the dark.  Or, how 'bout the quick glance in the car.  I don't want to have to pick up the phone and hold it in front of my face.  And no, I'm not an advocate of viewing a phone while driving, but let's face it, there are times many of us want to give a quick look while minimizing the time our eyes are off the road.  Just seems like a feature that has more negatives than positives...
    They specificially said you don’t have to do that, and that it works in the dark. Yet...you suggest it won’t work in the dark and that you’ll have to hold it in front of your face. wtf. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 16 of 36
    They specificially said you don’t have to do that, and that it works in the dark. Yet...you suggest it won’t work in the dark and that you’ll have to hold it in front of your face. wtf. 
    Actually, the exact word they used was 'engage.'  You have to 'engage' it by looking at it.  In fact, if you watched the presentation, when Craig Federighi first picked it up, he didn't 'engage' it and it didn't work.  Rather embarrassing at a demo, I thought.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    schlack said:
    Glad I got my iPhone 7 128GB last October (for an iPhone 6 trade in + $150) and didn't wait for the iPhone 8/X...would have been disappointed to pay $800+ for one of these phones.
    But you wouldn't. You'd get a trade in. 

Seems better than the 7 in most areas (although they didn't mention all the stats), has wireless charging and more importantly for me way better than my 6. This phone isn't for those of you would bought the 7, people who upgrade every year will move onto the X model. 
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Actually, the exact word they used was 'engage.'  You have to 'engage' it by looking at it.  In fact, if you watched the presentation, when Craig Federighi first picked it up, he didn't 'engage' it and it didn't work.  Rather embarrassing at a demo, I thought.
    It didn't work because it was just after a reboot and the phone always asks for a password after a reboot. That's all. After that it was flawless. 
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 36
    tadd said:
    I am a tadd disappointed that the smaller 8 still doesn't have the super camera from the iPhone 7-plus.    I am not a fan of the larger size device.  
    It has the optical image stabilization of iPhone 7 Plus. I think this is a more important enhancement than the second lens.
    edited September 2017 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Only 3 color options for the iPhone 8 line...
    The 7 series had 6 options, including productRED. Not sure why Apple went back to Space Grey. Jet Black sandwiched between two glossy pieces of glass would have been most aesthetically pleasing. Also, the blush gold glass looks incredible—don't know why Apple would not extend the same colored glass to the front of the device as well? Instead you get white glass on the front and blush gold glass on the back. Meh. 
    edited September 2017