Apple announces $399 Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular, letting you ditch your iPhone for...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    melgross said:
    Ok, well, an interesting development here in my home front. My wife, who hasn’t worn a watch for years, says she wants the Series 3, because of cell. My daughter, who really doesn’t like the idea of wearing something on her wrist, wants one because of the same reason.
    Most are definitely going to be sold to women, given how many of their clothes lack pockets. I already know one girl who plans on leaving her phone home nearly all the time once she can get one of these.

Maybe we'll luck out and this will lead to a gradual trend where everyone isn't glued to Instagram during brunch and social engagements… wishful thinking…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 98
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    entropys said:
    I wonder if this is a stealth way to get carriers to start accepting esims more broadly?
    it would seem the LTE watch will be an add on to your iPhone contract and thus the same number. 
    I wonder if stand alone is possible, and also data only?
    Was thinking the same, the first Apple product with no physical room for a sim. And in cooperation with carriers an esim, so maybe in the near future in the iPhone itself?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 98
    tylersdad said:
    I don't understand why they'd keep the Series 1 and get rid of the Series 2. Why not lower the price of the Series 2 to Series 1 levels? 
    Production costs?
    watto_cobradws-2
  • Reply 24 of 98

ZRyser said:
    The one product I really looked forward to at this event, and in fact had been waiting for for years, is the LTE Apple Watch. It's totally deflating to learn it won't be available here in Denmark. So disappointed and sick of this. This is something, that would have made an actual difference in my daily life.
    I guess you might have to buy it (or someone will have to buy it for you) elsewhere in Europe when it comes out? It may have something to do with your local cellular carriers.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 25 of 98

Not sure if I appreciate all the cellular models featuring a red Digital Crown...
    I absolutely LOVE it. Funny how that works, isn't it...
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 98
    tylersdad said:
    I don't understand why they'd keep the Series 1 and get rid of the Series 2. Why not lower the price of the Series 2 to Series 1 levels? 
    Production costs?
    Product differentiation. The Series 1 watch is more "lower end" than the Series 2. The Series 2 isn't much different than the Series 3 and keeping the Series 2 in the lineup might eat into the sales of the lower end Series 3 model.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 98
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    JanNL said:
    Stays the same, with the same thickness of the case.
    What stays the same... battery life? Not possible.

And, while I haven't done the calculations, how much power it's going to take the send a signal of sufficient strength to properly interact with a cell tower is a relatively fixed thing as far as I can see. With data, it can do bursts. Maybe they are doing some kind of tricky processing and data-based voice connection as well to limit the connect time (VoIP), but I'm still thinking it's not going to last long.

Eric_WVGG said:
    Most are definitely going to be sold to women, given how many of their clothes lack pockets. I already know one girl who plans on leaving her phone home nearly all the time once she can get one of these.

Maybe we'll luck out and this will lead to a gradual trend where everyone isn't glued to Instagram during brunch and social engagements… wishful thinking…
    How about if you're limited to 10 minutes of voice calls per charge, or something like that? We'd better know that number before we start making any kind of projections about how useful this is to various people, or planning on leaving the phone behind (in general).
  • Reply 28 of 98
    Apple designed GPU?
  • Reply 29 of 98
    This was a highlight today. I will upgrade to one at some point, but I suspect it will be when carriers start tossing in the cellular connection for free. Sure, an "intro rate" is all fine and good (and I see they didn't discuss those) but I'm wary of these add ons. It adds up quickly.

The price will drop, and carriers will use that add-in as a promo. Then I'll bite. For now, I really like my original.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 98
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    tylersdad said:
    Production costs?
    I imagine so. It’s good that they lowered the Series 1 to just $249. That’s really a pretty good price. I suspect that the Series 2 and 3 are the same except for the new SoC, so lowering the price a bit to make room for the cell model would allow the cell model to remain below the $400 limit, and still have some differentiation.
  • Reply 31 of 98
    dkimak said:
    Was anything said about battery life?
    Pretty sure I heard "all day" and something to the effect of '18 hours with LTE and WiFi on.'
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 32 of 98
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    cgWerks said:
    JanNL said:
    Stays the same, with the same thickness of the case.
    What stays the same... battery life? Not possible.

And, while I haven't done the calculations, how much power it's going to take the send a signal of sufficient strength to properly interact with a cell tower is a relatively fixed thing as far as I can see. With data, it can do bursts. Maybe they are doing some kind of tricky processing and data-based voice connection as well to limit the connect time (VoIP), but I'm still thinking it's not going to last long.

Eric_WVGG said:

How about if you're limited to 10 minutes of voice calls per charge, or something like that? We'd better know that number before we start making any kind of projections about how useful this is to various people, or planning on leaving the phone behind (in general).
    Only repeating what they said during the keynote, with mixed/average use.
  • Reply 33 of 98
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    NY1822 said:
    wonder how much that streaming music eats into your data?
    Streaming music uses very little data. It's the video that gets you into trouble.
  • Reply 34 of 98
    dkimak said:
    Same as current I think I remember. 18 hours with a mixture of LTE/WiFi & BT ... although I have to wonder how much communication affects that time. 
  • Reply 35 of 98
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    AppleZulu said:
    dkimak said:
    Pretty sure I heard "all day" and something to the effect of '18 hours with LTE and WiFi on.'
    The original spec for the first Watch was all day with normal use, or 18 hours. I get two days out of my Series 2. I don’t use GPS too much. If you don’t, then life between charges is greatly extended. They had to increase the depth of the case very slightly for a larger battery, but kept the one day/18 hours the same. I’m impressed they kept it the same again, as the cell needs to be on all the time to be able to receive calls, and the big question was wherher Apple would give a shorter life. They didn’t!

it’s pretty impressive, and I don’t mind saying it twice in one post.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 98
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    JanNL said:
    Only repeating what they said during the keynote, with mixed/average use.
    OK, here we go:
    https://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html

1 hour.... which its pretty darn impressive, actually. So, if you want the watch to last all day, and make a call... maybe 20 min of call time?
    (That's like 2-3x what I was thinking, so I'm impressed.)
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 37 of 98
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Cripple Watch is the namn of this watch. At least outside US. No LTE and still paying a huge premium. No thanks!
    Not true. They listed the countries that would have data enabled (see here ), and I was quite surprised that Telstra and Optus are going to support it at launch. If you're not in one of those countries, then I recommend not buying the Cellular version. (Although it does seem a bit rough they're not offering the Stainless Steel in GPS only.)
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 98
    I'll be ordering one of these as an upgrade but will keep my iPhone 7.
  • Reply 39 of 98
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I am actually bummed that it offers no rapid recharge nor allow me to sleep with the watch on to monitor my sleep. I rely on that as sleep health is very important to me. 

I wear Samsung which offers sleep monitor and it lasts two days. It provides me decent info about my sleep habits. 

I hope Apple will provide some kind of bracelet that can monitor my sleep while I leave Apple Watch overnight on a recharge and then record it back to Watch after waking up and I just leave the sleep bracelet on powerAir to recharge again. That would be convenient. 

• Reply 40 of 98
    anome said:
    Cripple Watch is the namn of this watch. At least outside US. No LTE and still paying a huge premium. No thanks!
    Not true. They listed the countries that would have data enabled (see here ), and I was quite surprised that Telstra and Optus are going to support it at launch. If you're not in one of those countries, then I recommend not buying the Cellular version. (Although it does seem a bit rough they're not offering the Stainless Steel in GPS only.)
    I'm not in one of those countries. So currently they limit it to 10 countries. To bad, I really would go for that watch if it had LTE in my country. Now I will let it be and change my Garmin Fenix 3 for the new Garmin Fenix 5, its more robust, and are more pro sports than the Apple Watch.