Apple debuts $999 iPhone X with OLED Super Retina Display & Face ID authentication

Comments

• Reply 61 of 352
    I see the notch is getting a lot of hate. Everyone was screaming 24/7 that bezels had to go, then when Apple gets rid of them people complain about the camera notch. Honestly like the camera bump I think people will get over/used to the notch and pretty soon no one will be talking about it.

Another thing I hate is journalists complaining about the software changes when they’ve spent like less than 5 minutes with the device in a hands on area. Don’t tell us software is confusing when you’ve spent next to no time using it.
    calipatchythepiratemacxpressredgeminipajony0
  • Reply 62 of 352
    Well, I have had every iPhone up until now.  Unless AT&T kicks in a nice trade in like they did last year, we are going to bow out.  Price not worth the features.  I think all these tech companies are going to drive the consumer away.  Yes face ID is nice, but 1:50,000 for touch ID is safe enough for me.  What on this phone is a necessity that a current phone doesn't already do?  Is it sinking in yet to anybody else that the cost benefit analysis is dwindling?  When is cool not enough.....I think we are at the doorstep to that.
    I'm with you on this one. Law of diminishing returns is definitely starting to come into effect here. It's a cool phone no doubt with amazing technology, just not sure if it's enough to get me to upgrade from my 7+ at the moment. I may instead just be upgrading my 1st gen Apple Watch which is starting to feel real slow. 
    brandon726makeintoshslprescottbrucemcbeowulfschmidtredgeminipa
  • Reply 63 of 352
    hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:
    AirPower? ROFL. Seriously who thinks up these names?
    What would you call it, marketing genius?
    Wireless charging. 
    That’s not a product name, that’s a technology. Don’t quit your day job. 
    stompyroundaboutnowcalipscooter63slprescottbrucemcsuddenly newtonredgeminipawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 64 of 352
    melgross said:

eightzero said:
    It's cool. I can't afford one. Will need to wait. 

I'm guessing the FaceID will be popular with law enforcement. Maybe that's a feature and not a bug.
    Were you listening to the presentation? You need to have your eyes open for it to work. They can’t force you to do that. Besides, I just can’t understand what it is that some people are so concerned about with that. What are you planning to do that this would be a problem? Should we be reporting you to the FBI?
    This is potentially non-trivial when you're crossing borders and you're a business traveler. If customs or immigration forces you to unlock it, they can view anything, including your emails, texts, phone call logs, etc., and there may be confidential company material, secrets, plans, IP, etc. With TouchID you can just avoid setting it up, and say that you forgot your password (or some such thing).
  • Reply 65 of 352
    melgross said:

eightzero said:

I'm guessing the FaceID will be popular with law enforcement. Maybe that's a feature and not a bug.
    Were you listening to the presentation? You need to have your eyes open for it to work. They can’t force you to do that. Besides, I just can’t understand what it is that some people are so concerned about with that. What are you planning to do that this would be a problem? Should we be reporting you to the FBI?
    Someone wrote a nice book about that: 1984
    iqatedo
  • Reply 66 of 352
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    For me this is the big news:

iPhone 6 32GB 379€
    iPhone SE 32GB 419€
    iPhone 6s 32GB 529€
    iPhone 7 32GB 639€
    iPhone 7 Plus 32GB 779€
    iPhone 8 64GB 809€
    iPhone 8 Plus 64GB 919€
    iPhone X 64GB 1159€

At least today, Apple has a phone at a price point for pretty much everyone who needs an iPhone. Right down into the 'affordable' band.

If the plan is to continue with this lineup through the year it is a significant strategic move.

ibillspheric
  • Reply 67 of 352
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Soli said:
    melgross said:
    eightzero said:

How about what others could do with access to every detail about your life? Would you also say the Equifax hack is something no one should be concerned with unless they are a criminal? I'm guessing you wouldn't and yet my iPhone stores all the same data plus a shitload more than any credit bureau could ever have on file. 
    He’s talking about the police. I hear guys saying that they don’t use the Easypay device on their car because - “What if I’m going to see a girlfriend, and I don’t want my wife to know?”

thats what im talking about. All systems can be broken, even passwords. Considering how lame most passwords are, that would be the worst security feature for most people. For them, this would be more secure.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 68 of 352
    That polished aluminium looks like it will scratch worse than the old classic iPods did.  Why do Apple do this??????
    williamlondon
  • Reply 69 of 352
    I’m seeing techies on Twitter saying they’re not blown away by iPhone X.  So what exactly would blow them away? 

even their girlfriends could not do it for them. Face it Techie Geeks are a bunch of limp nubs. Face it they are all waiting for the Tricorder
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 352
    melgross said:

eightzero said:

Were you listening to the presentation? You need to have your eyes open for it to work. They can’t force you to do that. ...
    Yes they can.
  • Reply 71 of 352
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So with all the bitching about the iPhone X and the dire pronouncements of 'not going to upgrade' I guess the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8+ got lost in the shuffle. For those bitching about Face ID... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about price... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about bezels and notches... iPhone 8 or 8+? What? Apple only makes one iPhone now and it's not for you? Please explain. The iPhone 8 series has the same processing power, the same custom GPU, same memory configurations, will smoke the competition just as good as the X. I knew this would happen. People are going to focus on the X and dismiss the 8 series. The 8 series is a major upgrade over the 7 and will probably be the sweet spot in the lineup. 
    edited September 2017 StrangeDayseightzeroariemacky the mackydrewys808calimacxpresspscooter63copywriternowiqatedo
  • Reply 72 of 352
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    melgross said:
    US $ 1625 for this?! No way! 
    No. $999 for 64GB, and $1149 for 256Gb. Where did you come up with that number?
    Based on the name and the way it's written I'm guessing that English isn't his first language so then I might assume that he's form Norway. The price in Norwegian Krone for the 256GB model is 12 690,00, or $1618.93 USD, as of this posting.

redgeminipajony0
  • Reply 73 of 352
    hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:
    AirPower? ROFL. Seriously who thinks up these names?
    What would you call it, marketing genius?
    Wireless charging. 
    That’s not a product name, that’s a technology. Don’t quit your day job. 
    The product name for that is WC .
    kingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 74 of 352
    lkrupp said:
    So with all the bitching about the iPhone X and the dire pronouncements of 'not going to upgrade' I guess the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8+ got lost in the shuffle. For those bitching about Face ID... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about price... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about bezels and notches... iPhone 8 or 8+? What? Apple only makes one iPhone now and it's not for you? Please explain.
    iPhone 8 is $100 more expensive than iPhone 7 was. I am a little surprised Apple quoted the full price instead of monthly pricing.
  • Reply 75 of 352
    tzeshan said:
    I think FaceID can be easily compromised by hard core criminals.
    Orly? And why do you think that? Keep in mind hardcore criminals are thugs and not Mission Impossible agents. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 76 of 352
    To me, the really good news of the evening is twofold:
    - 2 hours longer battery life
    - the fact that X is barely larger than 8 with more screen size than 8+
    Well done on that (especially the latter)
    drewys808caliiqatedoredgeminipa
  • Reply 77 of 352
    I still don't understand the vertical camera array. The only way it makes most sense is in landscape mode but in portrait mode the depth perception will be out of whack. There's a reason our eyes are side by side horizontally and not vertically.
    I hope that gets people to stop filming videos vertically. 

Vertical Video Syndrome, it's a disease.

edited September 2017 StrangeDaysmacseekerGG1
  • Reply 78 of 352
    lkrupp said:
    So with all the bitching about the iPhone X and the dire pronouncements of 'not going to upgrade' I guess the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8+ got lost in the shuffle. For those bitching about Face ID... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about price... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about bezels and notches... iPhone 8 or 8+? What? Apple only makes one iPhone now and it's not for you? Please explain. The iPhone 8 series has the same processing power, the same custom GPU, same memory configurations, will smoke the competition just as good as the X. I knew this would happen. People are going to focus on the X and dismiss the 8 series. The 8 series is a major upgrade over the 7 and will probably be the sweet spot in the lineup. 
    What's more, it has wireless charging too. It's a fabulous upgrade from the 7/7+.
    iqatedoredgeminipa
  • Reply 79 of 352
    melgross said:

eightzero said:

This is potentially non-trivial when you're crossing borders and you're a business traveler. If customs or immigration forces you to unlock it, they can view anything, including your emails, texts, phone call logs, etc., and there may be confidential company material, secrets, plans, IP, etc. With TouchID you can just avoid setting it up, and say that you forgot your password (or some such thing).
    You could do the same here. Not that I believe they’ll believe you forgot the passcode. 
  • Reply 80 of 352

Soli said:
    melgross said:
    US $ 1625 for this?! No way! 
    No. $999 for 64GB, and $1149 for 256Gb. Where did you come up with that number?
    Based on the name and the way it's written I'm guessing that English isn't his first language so then I might assume that he's form Norway. The price in Norwegian Krone for the 256GB model is 12 690,00, or $1618.93 USD, as of this posting.

But that's with Norwegian VAT, exchange rates, local cost differentials etc. His post would have made more sense if, somehow, the cost of the X relative to the 8 (which is priced like the 7, IIRC), was higher there compared to what it is here in the US. Is that what he's complaining about?