$179 Apple TV 4K boasts high dynamic range support, free 4K upgrades to iTunes movie purch...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

sog35 said:
    I'm buying one of these bad boys on day 1

4k movies will cost the same as HD.

Plus all your HD movies purchased no iTunes will convert to 4k for FREE!!!!
    That was a big surprise to me. I don't know how Apple was able to work that out with the movie studios. Vudu is charging $30 for 4K movies. 
    That was the biggest fight Apple was having. Industry publications were saying that the studios were demanding another $5 to $10 more for their 4K content, and an upgrade fee to go from 2k to 4K for the content already owned, much as music companies forced Apple to do that with 256 AAC songs, 
  • Reply 22 of 65
    it did look impressive. Sports: Formula 1, maybe?
    williamlondonkingofsomewherehotguyr
  • Reply 23 of 65
    This was great news. All previous movies being upgraded for free and HDR 10 and Dolby Vision in the same box?????!!!!!!!!

They may have been late to the 4K streaming box game but they certainly raised the bar!! I don't a single 4k TV yet but come next week I'll have a tv and another Apple TV, plus my first Apple Watch. LOL!!

To the iOS 11 GM leaker..................you still suck. You took nothing away from the presentation. It still rocked!!
    edited September 2017 caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 65
    What's with the picture showing a white outlined menu button on the remote??
    That appears on the product page at Apple's web site, so it's new to the 4K design. 
    It also appears on the existing Apple TV's product page.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    The 32GB or 64GB are sad, but I don't care since I'll use a NAS connected and use the 55" LG 4K HDR ready tv and not bother with the streaming until CLink meets its goals. Of course, I'd buy FIOS but Verizon isn't available.
    If you don't have a current Apple TV, you may not realize this but movies are not stored on the device at all. They are streamed. This means it's just the apps that are taking up the space. I got the Gen4 with 64GB, and even with several kids games on it, we aren't close to being full. All the usual things that take up space on a phone or tablet (movies, photos, email) aren't stored.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 65
    it did look impressive. Sports: Formula 1, maybe?
    So far, the live sports I've seen in 4K are soccer games from the Premier League, MLB games, NBA, and college football. Last year, all the Notre Dame games were shown in 4K on DirecTV. This year, the only college game in 4K the first week of the season was the Oregon State vs Minnesota game. The games in 4K do look pretty incredible. 
  • Reply 27 of 65
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    melgross said:
    smaffei said:
    $180 is double what the competition is charging and 20% more than the last generation of Apple TV.

So, that HD->4K "free" upgrade really isn't free. Eddy baked the cost of the 4K content upgrade into the price of the unit.

Well, I’m surprised that they held the price to,what they did. Speculation, after we found out what would be inside, was that it could be as much as $249, even higher. So this is actually pretty good.

and it is free. You can’t take increased hardware costs and use that to say that software costs have increased. That makes no sense. The costs of the hardware isn’t that much more. If Apple can get gaming to work on this, as a business, then the price is cheap, when compared to the competition, which would then be the PlayStation, and the XBox, both of which are being promoted as content boxes, and which cost far more.

Xbox One S 500GB is $250, just $50 over the ATV 4K, and it has an Ultra HD Blu-ray player, and supports Dolby Atmos + DTS-HD / Dolby HD.  IMO, while the ATV 4K looks very nice, is expensive.  

At the same time, it was nice to know that movies purchased in iTunes will be upgraded to 4K without additional cost.  
    williamlondonsupadav03
  • Reply 28 of 65
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    smaffei said:
    $180 is double what the competition is charging and 20% more than the last generation of Apple TV.

So, that HD->4K "free" upgrade really isn't free. Eddy baked the cost of the 4K content upgrade into the price of the unit.
    Really? $90 boxes are comparable to the new Apple TV, in terms of ecosystem, power, reliability, design, apps, support, etc? Find me one that isn't complete trash. The "competition" does not have an Apple TV or anything like it. The price difference between the standard and 4K Apple TV is absolutely trivial. I mean, we're talking about $30.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    I am intrigued that they are going to upgrade previous purchased iTunes movies to 4K.  I have several movies I purchased from iTunes BUT how can they upgrade a movie that was never released in 4K to begin with.  I have a movie called "Baraka" which has amazing visuals.  It was never released in 4K, just 1080p BluRay.  Is Apple going to really upgrade this one to 4K?  How?  Are they merely going to up-convert it or upgrade it to 4K with the added resolution?  
    calisupadav03
  • Reply 30 of 65
    FJERINA said:
    I am intrigued that they are going to upgrade previous purchased iTunes movies to 4K.  I have several movies I purchased from iTunes BUT how can they upgrade a movie that was never released in 4K to begin with.  I have a movie called "Baraka" which has amazing visuals.  It was never released in 4K, just 1080p BluRay.  Is Apple going to really upgrade this one to 4K?  How?  Are they merely going to up-convert it or upgrade it to 4K with the added resolution?  
    I guess that would be the catch: there are plenty of HD movies that have not yet been released in 4K or potentially never will be. The "upgrade" part of it will occur over time.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    Yawn.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 65
    It's not a deal killer, but it's got a problem when you have to put a rubber band on one end to be able to instantly feel the right-side-up in the dark (which I do). Even John Gruber feels it's a flawed remote. I love the touch surface and swipe-scrubbing, just wish they'd fix the symmetrical nature of it.
    The larger, oblong volume button should be on the right. That's all you need to tell if it's oriented correctly. All the other buttons are circles. 
    Before you even get to the point of scanning the buttons with your finger tips, you need to have picked it up. If you picked it up upside down, as detected by the lack of volume button, you still need to rotate it to the correct orientation. But with a non symmetrical remote (or a rubberband hack) you can instantly sense which side is up and rotate it as you pick it up so that it’s always the right side up by the time you start to use it for the desired buttons. 

There’s no way that a symmetrical remote can have fewer steps to usage than a non, since there’s a 50% it’s upside down when picked up in the dark. (note that we don’t always have the remote sitting on the coffee table but in fact on the sofa, used by another person last, etc...)
    edited September 2017 gatorguy
  • Reply 33 of 65
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    slurpy said:
    smaffei said:

Really? $90 boxes are comparable to the new Apple TV, in terms of ecosystem, power, reliability, design, apps, support, etc? Find me one that isn't complete trash. The "competition" does not have an Apple TV or anything like it. The price difference between the standard and 4K Apple TV is absolutely trivial. I mean, we're talking about $30.
    The $100.00 Roku Premiere+ and Ultra modeles are great devices for $90/$100.  On ecosystem, I don't think either of them have an absolute advantage.  If you have Windows and Android mobile devices, the Roku will have better integration, while Apple users have the advantage with the ATV 4K.  On power, I suppose Apple have the advantage, but I don't see any benefit, a part from gaming, where both devices have failed.  Apps, both have a long list of them, maybe even more in the Roku.  

I see both devices doing good, but it's clear that the ATV 4k is expensive.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 65
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    frumious said:
    Astonished that they made NO changes to the remote. No way to know it's charging or is charged. No way to instantly tell the top from the bottom. And no way to "page" it, maybe with your phone, or via Siri to say "Here I am," because it's so tiny it can so easily vanish in bed covers. Just the most basic stuff. Frustrating.
    Agree. I've been dreaming of a remote that utilizes Apple's amazing tech IP.

Taptic Engine for realistic feedback, 3D Touch surface, M-chip for workout apps and motion gaming, Find my Remote feature etc. etc. etc.

frumious said:
    lkrupp said:
    frumious said:
    Astonished that they made NO changes to the remote. No way to know it's charging or is charged. No way to instantly tell the top from the bottom. And no way to "page" it, maybe with your phone, or via Siri to say "Here I am," because it's so tiny it can so easily vanish in bed covers. Just the most basic stuff. Frustrating.
    I'm thinking that since there are no apparent changes to the remote Apple knows that it is popular with the majority of users and could care less what the critics say. If the remote is a deal killer for you then so be it.
    Not a "deal killer." I've had two of them. My extended family combined has five of them. That makes seven actual, daily users of it. ALL of us have had the same gripe over it. The identical gripe is reaffirmed by Apple Store employees who say countless users have also grumbled over it. We love the product. But even constant use doesn't blunt the design flaw of the remote. The AppleTV is "popular with the majority of users." Obviously, that's in spite of the remote's design deficiencies, and that is the actual interface people interact with. And Cook whizzed right past the presentation without even so much as a look or mention of the remote at all (aside from the Emmy for the Siri aspect).
    Thay problem is solved by a couple bucks. Buy a protective case. It adds a little bulk and completely eliminates the orientation issue plus you'll get the added benefit of actual PROTECTION.

cali said:
    Ha I suggested they update our movies for free and no one (including myself) thought they would.

Bravo Apple!!
    I’ll be the first to admit to you. I was one that said no chance in heck they do that. I stand corrected and flabbergasted. 

Heck I remember the whole forum jumping at me for even suggesting it but admittedly I was doubtful myself. Logically. 

supadav03jony0
  • Reply 35 of 65
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I'm wondering how the A10x chip compares to consoles. I can't find any comparisons online. I guess people haven't taken Apple TV seriously as a gaming device yet. Seems like Apple is inching closer though. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 36 of 65
    smaffei said:

If all HD movies -> 4K, it is still a good bargain. Besides with apps from my other devices available at Apple TV, I don't see me going to competitors, it's all about ecosystem.
  • Reply 37 of 65

frumious said:

Settings > Remotes and Devices > Remote > Battery level

Remote still sucks; but, since the SDK as released hasn't a page jump feature, folks like Logitech haven't a clue how to compensate for the absence.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    I'm really interested in whether they'll upgrade the Digital Copy versions of movies. Right now you buy a Blu-ray and many come with a Digital Copy for iTunes, which you redeem and the HD version is unlocked. However, upgrading these to 4K versions would mean you could go out and buy a $10 (CAN) copy of Deadpool, get the BD, and the 4K version from the iTunes store, and it'd be way cheaper than buying the 4K disc, or the 4K iTunes copy. I can't see the studios going along with that (though I really hope they do, as I have TON of Digital Copies unlocked in iTunes).
    caliDubO2fastasleep
  • Reply 39 of 65
    cali said:
    I'm wondering how the A10x chip compares to consoles. I can't find any comparisons online. I guess people haven't taken Apple TV seriously as a gaming device yet. Seems like Apple is inching closer though. 
    The interesting thing about using the chip in the ATV is that the ATV isn't bound by the same thermal constraints as other iDevices, meaning it could be unleashed a bit more, so it will be interesting to see how the chip performs in this device. Could be really interesting.
    cali
  • Reply 40 of 65
    frumious said:
    How do you think they are paying for all the free 4K movie upgrades? They just need to sell a few more $79 replacement remotes!

Also... I agree.  It would be nice to know when it's charged and some subtle design changes to know you are holding it the right way, "Find My Remote" functionality would also be good...