Apple debuts $999 iPhone X with OLED Super Retina Display & Face ID authentication

Comments

• Reply 81 of 352
    blitz1 said:
    To me, the really good news of the evening is twofold:
    - 2 hours longer battery life
    - the fact that X is barely larger than 8 with more screen size than 8+
    Well done on that (especially the latter)
    More screen height, not width. The width is the same as iPhone 7 (same logical pixel count: 375)
    mike1
  • Reply 82 of 352
    knowitall said:
    melgross said:

eightzero said:
    It's cool. I can't afford one. Will need to wait. 

I'm guessing the FaceID will be popular with law enforcement. Maybe that's a feature and not a bug.
    Were you listening to the presentation? You need to have your eyes open for it to work. They can’t force you to do that. ...
    Yes they can.
    How is that different from their using physical force to hold your finger against the TouchID button?
  • Reply 83 of 352
    Well, I have had every iPhone up until now.  Unless AT&T kicks in a nice trade in like they did last year, we are going to bow out.  Price not worth the features.  I think all these tech companies are going to drive the consumer away.  Yes face ID is nice, but 1:50,000 for touch ID is safe enough for me.  What on this phone is a necessity that a current phone doesn't already do?  Is it sinking in yet to anybody else that the cost benefit analysis is dwindling?  When is cool not enough.....I think we are at the doorstep to that.
    I'm with you on this one. Law of diminishing returns is definitely starting to come into effect here. It's a cool phone no doubt with amazing technology, just not sure if it's enough to get me to upgrade from my 7+ at the moment. I may instead just be upgrading my 1st gen Apple Watch which is starting to feel real slow. 
    Redraider, good call on the Apple Watch Upgrade.  I was talking with my wife and with cellular, the watch actually could mean a phone upgrade every 4-5 years.  Or perhaps go with the least expensive oldest iphone to use it as a data corridor.  An iPad mini and a watch accomplish all the at home and on the run needs.  Hope the carrier are reasonalbe for a watch addition to a plan.  I would pay $5 a month to add a watch to a plan.  Any more than that, greed sets in.  CHECK OUT APPLE CARE+.....it is $199 for the iPhone X.  And now $149 for a plus phone.  APPLE IS GETTING GREEDY NOW.  the AirPower Mat will probably be $149.  Again, form a die hard Apple ecosystem, privacy loving, security concerned person, the total cost of a mac every 7 years, ipad every 4-5, watch every 3, phone every 2, tv every 3, and times that by 2 or three people and it is amazing how much money has been shipped Apples way.  Must admit......going to slow it way down going forward.
    flyingdpbrucemc
  • Reply 84 of 352

virtua said:
    That polished aluminium looks like it will scratch worse than the old classic iPods did.  Why do Apple do this??????
     Stainless steel, not aluminum. And I’m looking forward to that because I like steel more than aluminum, as on my Watch. The minor wear and tear on it is natural and doesn’t bother me in the slightest. 
    patchythepiratepscooter63redgeminipa
  • Reply 85 of 352
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

Soli said:
    melgross said:
    US $ 1625 for this?! No way! 
    No. $999 for 64GB, and $1149 for 256Gb. Where did you come up with that number?
    Based on the name and the way it's written I'm guessing that English isn't his first language so then I might assume that he's form Norway. The price in Norwegian Krone for the 256GB model is 12 690,00, or $1618.93 USD, as of this posting.

But that's with Norwegian VAT, exchange rates, local cost differentials etc.
    Obviously, but why does that matter when it's about the cost to the customer? If you told me that you'd give me some widget for free but there was a service charge of $10k applied  to it would you be confused if I said I don't want to pay $10k and reply with "but it's free!" All that matters is what he has to pay, so why be upset that he took the time to convert into USD for you instead of writing that's it's out of his price range in Norwegian?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 86 of 352

knowitall said:
    hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:
    AirPower? ROFL. Seriously who thinks up these names?
    What would you call it, marketing genius?
    Wireless charging. 
    That’s not a product name, that’s a technology. Don’t quit your day job. 
    The product name for that is WC .
    If you’re suggesting “WC” is a marketable product name, and better than AirPower, then I wish you luck. 
  • Reply 87 of 352
    I still don't understand the vertical camera array. The only way it makes most sense is in landscape mode but in portrait mode the depth perception will be out of whack. There's a reason our eyes are side by side horizontally and not vertically.
    I don't know.  When I'm laying down, on my side, so my eyes are oriented vertically, I still have depth perception.  Don't you? 
    Exactly. For achieving depth perception, it doesn't matter which way it's oriented. For stereo imaging on a camera, however, you want them side-by-side. Since there are two different types of lenses (one is wide-angle, the other is telephoto) with different apertures, they're probably not intending to make it into a stereo 3D camera, so that gets you back to it not mattering which way they're oriented.
    radarthekatpscooter63
  • Reply 88 of 352
    Soli said:

Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Based on the name and the way it's written I'm guessing that English isn't his first language so then I might assume that he's form Norway. The price in Norwegian Krone for the 256GB model is 12 690,00, or $1618.93 USD, as of this posting.

But that's with Norwegian VAT, exchange rates, local cost differentials etc.
    Obviously, but why does that matter when it's about the cost to the customer? If you told me that you'd give me some widget for free but there was a service charge of $10k applied  to it would you be confused if I said I don't want to pay $10k and reply with "but it's free!" All that matters is what he has to pay, so why be upset that he took the time to convert into USD for you instead of writing that's it's out of his price range in Norwegian?
    Who's upset?!
  • Reply 89 of 352
    knowitall said:
    melgross said:

eightzero said:

I'm guessing the FaceID will be popular with law enforcement. Maybe that's a feature and not a bug.
    Were you listening to the presentation? You need to have your eyes open for it to work. They can’t force you to do that. ...
    Yes they can.
    How is that different from their using physical force to hold your finger against the TouchID button?
    I didn't mention 'different' at all.
    In more or less civilized countries not cooperating with law enforcement means jail time. 
  • Reply 90 of 352

eightzero said:
    melgross said:

eightzero said:

Were you listening to the presentation? You need to have your eyes open for it to work. They can’t force you to do that. Besides, I just can’t understand what it is that some people are so concerned about with that. What are you planning to do that this would be a problem? Should we be reporting you to the FBI?
    I like the use of "what do you have to hide?" when a question about privacy comes up. Well played. And I'm not playing. Luck with that.

The presentation said faceID works if you later adopt glasses. I'm guessing you'll need to remove sunglasses (much like you needed to remove gloves for touchID.) It would be cool if someone at AI can confirm from the demo area.

I do concede that there is jurisprudence involving forcing individuals in custody to perform, and this is perhaps no different. 

I trust Apple to get it right. Eventually. They have been proactive in protecting their customer's privacy. There was a rumor that iOS11 had a disabling feature for touchID - click it 5 times, and you need a passcode. But of course, you need to possess the iPhone (have it in your hand) to do that. Or hay - maybe you can quickly tell Siri: "Siri, passcode my iPhone." Ohhh...that would be cool.
    In the US at least, they'd still need to have a warrant to use your face to unlock it, just as they would need one to use your fingerprint.

• Reply 91 of 352
    melgross said:
    That's the price in Europe...or more exact, Sweden.
  • Reply 92 of 352
    I see the notch is getting a lot of hate. Everyone was screaming 24/7 that bezels had to go, then when Apple gets rid of them people complain about the camera notch. Honestly like the camera bump I think people will get over/used to the notch and pretty soon no one will be talking about it.

Another thing I hate is journalists complaining about the software changes when they’ve spent like less than 5 minutes with the device in a hands on area. Don’t tell us software is confusing when you’ve spent next to no time using it.
    For the record, I was was predicting they wouldn't have the notch, but there it is, proving me wrong.

I'm still not too sure about it, but we'll see what it looks like in implementation. Presumably photos and movies will be letterboxed, rather than truncated by notches and rounded corners.
  • Reply 93 of 352
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    melgross said:

eightzero said:

Were you listening to the presentation? You need to have your eyes open for it to work. They can’t force you to do that. Besides, I just can’t understand what it is that some people are so concerned about with that. What are you planning to do that this would be a problem? Should we be reporting you to the FBI?
    This is potentially non-trivial when you're crossing borders and you're a business traveler. If customs or immigration forces you to unlock it, they can view anything, including your emails, texts, phone call logs, etc., and there may be confidential company material, secrets, plans, IP, etc. With TouchID you can just avoid setting it up, and say that you forgot your password (or some such thing).
    Er … then just don't set up FaceID. 
    macxpresspscooter63redgeminipamike1
  • Reply 94 of 352
    melgross said:
    That's the price in Europe...or more exact, Sweden.
    Was the price of the iPhone 7 (or now, 8) proportionally less high than that of the X, compared to US prices? In other words, if a phone costing $500 in the US costs $800 in Sweden, what's the issue?
  • Reply 95 of 352
    NY1822 said:
    you know all those negative on the stock will start pushing the idea of "what happens if people don't like face ID or it doesn't work and they start returning the phone"....exacerbated by the snafu on stage before grabbing the backup phone during the demo
    Whew! Craig handled it adroitly. I can only imagine for the rest of his demo he's thinking he doesn't have another backup! Flying w/o a net so to speak, on one of the worlds' biggest stages! :)
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 96 of 352
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:

eightzero said:

This is potentially non-trivial when you're crossing borders and you're a business traveler. If customs or immigration forces you to unlock it, they can view anything, including your emails, texts, phone call logs, etc., and there may be confidential company material, secrets, plans, IP, etc. With TouchID you can just avoid setting it up, and say that you forgot your password (or some such thing).
    What I’ve read about a border check of your phone is that they can have the right to take your phone from you, and keep it for some time if you don’t comply. If so, will most people allow the phone check, with them there to watch, or would they prefer the agent to take the phone from them, and possibly have the FBI open it for them, looking at everything, and doing who knows what in your network at home as well, through your device. I would also imagine that if you used find your phone to lock it, or to wipe it, you would end up in even more trouble.

people have to understand this before they make a rash decision. So I don’t know if it’s a serious thing to say no in those situations. Several judges have already said that no biometric security pops up the fifth amendment, and there has been at least one case where the judge said that the password needed to be given too.

so,where does all of this stand?
  • Reply 97 of 352
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

knowitall said:
    melgross said:

eightzero said:

Yes they can.
    And they couldn't force you to unlock your phone with your finger?
  • Reply 98 of 352

knowitall said:
    knowitall said:
    melgross said:

eightzero said:

Yes they can.
    I didn't mention 'different' at all.
    In more or less civilized countries not cooperating with law enforcement means jail time. 
    Ah, you're actually saying it's no different in that respect between TouchID and FaceID. Got it.
  • Reply 99 of 352
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

knowitall said:
    melgross said:

eightzero said:

Yes they can.
    And how can they do that while holding the phone in front of you? Tickle you?
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 100 of 352
    Lot of nice stuff on the Phone, but there is no way on planet earth I am paying $1,000 for a cell phone. If I had Tim Cook's paycheck I would not pay $1,000 for a cell phone.
    Friends, this is a device most people replace every 2 years. My iPad Pro was about that price and is a far more useful item.

I will be updating my watch from V1 to V3 with LTE and keeping my iPhone 7.
    flyingdpmacpluspluswilliamlondonmakeintoshbeowulfschmidt