Apple debuts $999 iPhone X with OLED Super Retina Display & Face ID authentication

Comments

• Reply 101 of 352
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Soli said:
    melgross said:
    US $ 1625 for this?! No way! 
    No. $999 for 64GB, and $1149 for 256Gb. Where did you come up with that number?
    Based on the name and the way it's written I'm guessing that English isn't his first language so then I might assume that he's form Norway. The price in Norwegian Krone for the 256GB model is 12 690,00, or $1618.93 USD, as of this posting.

I was figuring something like that, which is why I gave a simple answer. He did show US as the pricing he was referring to.
  • Reply 102 of 352
    lkrupp said:
    So with all the bitching about the iPhone X and the dire pronouncements of 'not going to upgrade' I guess the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8+ got lost in the shuffle. For those bitching about Face ID... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about price... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about bezels and notches... iPhone 8 or 8+? What? Apple only makes one iPhone now and it's not for you? Please explain.
    iPhone 8 is $100 more expensive than iPhone 7 was. I am a little surprised Apple quoted the full price instead of monthly pricing.
    They always quote full prices.
  • Reply 103 of 352
    The thing about the passwords, and biometric security isn’t to make it impossible to break. It wasn’t meant to prevent police from getting info from the phones.

it was originally done to make it less attractive for the average mugger to want to mug you for your phone. If they saw you had an iPhone, they were less likely to mug you. That was about it. It’s evolved into something more, but I’m not so sure it’s going to last. The EU is proposing laws that make it illegal to make a phone that the government can’t break into. You see what’s going one here too.

so what happens in China, Russia, and other countries like that when they make it illegal too? No company can go against governments that want to prevent this from happening. We all have to understand this.

its why I’m not as concerned as some others. If security is too tight so that the governments can’t break it, then they will disallow it entirely. You guys are fighting the wrong fight.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 104 of 352
    How long before FACEgate?

To be followed by "You're looking at it wrong".
  • Reply 105 of 352
    NY1822 said:
    you know all those negative on the stock will start pushing the idea of "what happens if people don't like face ID or it doesn't work and they start returning the phone"....exacerbated by the snafu on stage before grabbing the backup phone during the demo
    Whew! Craig handled it adroitly. I can only imagine for the rest of his demo he's thinking he doesn't have another backup! Flying w/o a net so to speak, on one of the worlds' biggest stages! :)
    When that happened, I immediately noticed how cool he was. And that he was restrained enough not to go rogue and say something like "where would we be now if that had happened to Steve 10 years ago?" People are gonna talk about that, but I attributed it to the special presentation set up. Fairly, my iPhone 7 does things like that now and then - it won't touchID, demands a PW...then works fine. This seems no different, and I think it unimportant. Others will of course freak out.

HF1 was also cool enough not to do what we usually do: type the PW in...for all to see...and then lock and start over. Note the numbers light up when you press them. 
  • Reply 106 of 352
    melgross said:
    US $ 1625 for this?! No way! 
    No. $999 for 64GB, and $1149 for 256Gb. Where did you come up with that number?
    That's the price in Europe...or more exact, Sweden.
    Sure. You had US $ for the pricing though, and that was how I responded. It’s not really in us $ though. It can translate to that, as you did, but it’s not real. The problem is that each country adds its own taxes and import fees. It’s too bad. Maybe you should campaign to get them reduced.
  • Reply 107 of 352
    That actually answer a lot of people's question: can a random person unlock your phone by pointing at your face? The answer is no, you just look away. I love how elegant Apple solution is to such a 'complicated' problem.
    edited September 2017 williamlondonredgeminipa
  • Reply 108 of 352
    tzeshan said:
    I think FaceID can be easily compromised by hard core criminals.
    FaceID has 1 million secure points,  it is currently the hardest (though not impossible, time will tell) security tool to be compromised by anyone.
  • Reply 109 of 352
    I don't like the camera notch on the screen. It throws off any sense of symmetry no matter how it is held. It would be nice to be able to switch off the areas to the sides of the notch. I don't have a better solution. It is just annoying to constantly see the black notch. It does not feel like something that Jony would approve.
    makeintosh
  • Reply 110 of 352
    Well, I have had every iPhone up until now.  Unless AT&T kicks in a nice trade in like they did last year, we are going to bow out.  Price not worth the features.  I think all these tech companies are going to drive the consumer away.  Yes face ID is nice, but 1:50,000 for touch ID is safe enough for me.  What on this phone is a necessity that a current phone doesn't already do?  Is it sinking in yet to anybody else that the cost benefit analysis is dwindling?  When is cool not enough.....I think we are at the doorstep to that.
    I'm with you on this one. Law of diminishing returns is definitely starting to come into effect here. It's a cool phone no doubt with amazing technology, just not sure if it's enough to get me to upgrade from my 7+ at the moment. I may instead just be upgrading my 1st gen Apple Watch which is starting to feel real slow. 
    Same here. I just bit the bullet and bought a 2016 MacBook Pro 13", refurbished. That's the only way I can afford a Mac, and to replace a 9 yo MacBook Pro, and an 11 yo Mac Pro. After seeing today's presentation, I will hold onto my Iphone 6s Plus and might get a refurb iphone 7 when it appears in Apple's online store. I'm sure Apple will do well selling the latest, but most people will be on a delayed curve to the newest tech due to these prices. I thought iPhone 8 should have stayed at $650, and the iPhone X should have had 128GB base storage at that price. 64GB sounds oddly low.
  • Reply 111 of 352
    Initial reaction:  X is nice and very pretty.  But it doesn't really have THAT much over my 7+ to justify the cost.  Other than pretty and it works "different", not much added functional value for what I do.  I will pass this one and wait for 2018.
    macplusplusMplsP
  • Reply 112 of 352
    MisterKit said:
    I don't like the camera notch on the screen. It throws off any sense of symmetry no matter how it is held. It would be nice to be able to switch off the areas to the sides of the notch. I don't have a better solution. It is just annoying to constantly see the black notch. It does not feel like something that Jony would approve.
    I agreed with you but I guess I am used to it now. There are just no place to put so many sensors that require facing your face, besides all of them are behind the glass anyway, so wait until you see it in person, it's not that bad.
  • Reply 113 of 352
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    melgross said:
    lkrupp said:
    So with all the bitching about the iPhone X and the dire pronouncements of 'not going to upgrade' I guess the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8+ got lost in the shuffle. For those bitching about Face ID... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about price... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about bezels and notches... iPhone 8 or 8+? What? Apple only makes one iPhone now and it's not for you? Please explain.
    iPhone 8 is $100 more expensive than iPhone 7 was. I am a little surprised Apple quoted the full price instead of monthly pricing.
    They always quote full prices.
    I think people seem to forget that no one buys a smartphone outright; it comes on a contract. And if you don't want a contract then get it on Apple's pay monthly scheme. 

The price of an iPhone has only ever been an issue in online forums. 
    asdasd
  • Reply 114 of 352
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    I see the notch is getting a lot of hate. Everyone was screaming 24/7 that bezels had to go, then when Apple gets rid of them people complain about the camera notch. Honestly like the camera bump I think people will get over/used to the notch and pretty soon no one will be talking about it.

Another thing I hate is journalists complaining about the software changes when they’ve spent like less than 5 minutes with the device in a hands on area. Don’t tell us software is confusing when you’ve spent next to no time using it.
    Where is the Reachability feature?
  • Reply 115 of 352
    Lot of nice stuff on the Phone, but there is no way on planet earth I am paying $1,000 for a cell phone. If I had Tim Cook's paycheck I would not pay $1,000 for a cell phone.
    Friends, this is a device most people replace every 2 years. My iPad Pro was about that price and is a far more useful item.

I will be updating my watch from V1 to V3 with LTE and keeping my iPhone 7.
    Initial reaction:  X is nice and very pretty.  But it doesn't really have THAT much over my 7+ to justify the cost.  Other than pretty and it works "different", not much added functional value for what I do.  I will pass this one and wait for 2018.
    These comments fascinate me. I realize this is an Apple fan site, and I am an Apple fan myself, but I really don't think Apple's target audience for upgrades is people who have last year's model, or even the year before. Even back in the day when phone carriers subsidized (read put you on a payment plan with interest) iPhones, the upgrade cycle was two years at the shortest. They preferred to keep you at three years or more, because they didn't reduce your phone bill with a notice that your phone was paid off, which means they raked in extra cash while you thought about it.

So the real question is: are the owners of 5s and 6 phones ready to get the upgrade?
    williamlondonredgeminipa
  • Reply 116 of 352
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

knowitall said:
    hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:
    AirPower? ROFL. Seriously who thinks up these names?
    What would you call it, marketing genius?
    Wireless charging. 
    That’s not a product name, that’s a technology. Don’t quit your day job. 
    The product name for that is WC .
    If you’re suggesting “WC” is a marketable product name, and better than AirPower, then I wish you luck. 
    With branding like that, I'm sure he'll be flush with success...
    pscooter63beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 117 of 352

virtua said:
    That polished aluminium looks like it will scratch worse than the old classic iPods did.  Why do Apple do this??????
     Stainless steel, not aluminum. And I’m looking forward to that because I like steel more than aluminum, as on my Watch. The minor wear and tear on it is natural and doesn’t bother me in the slightest. 
    Doesn't matter whether its stainless steel or if it bothers you - it's  still going to scratch like xxxx........ just like my old stainless steel Apple Watch did.  

• Reply 118 of 352
    Not a fan of the camera notch for viewing photos and videos, hopefully a quick double tap will zoom out slightly to avoid the distraction :)
  • Reply 119 of 352
    The X is a work of art and will probably be my next iPhone.

Won't be using the wireless charging though, unless it'll work with a case. No desire to go "naked" with a $1000 phone - I had the 4 and the glass back was slippery as hell.

Lot's of room for improvement with TouchID and I suspect FaceID will prove to be at least as convenient and reliable, unless you're a woman in Saudi Arabia.
    kingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 120 of 352
    artdent said:
    The X is a work of art and will probably be my next iPhone.

Won't be using the wireless charging though, unless it'll work with a case. No desire to go "naked" with a $1000 phone - I had the 4 and the glass back was slippery as hell.

Lot's of room for improvement with TouchID and I suspect FaceID will prove to be at least as convenient and reliable, unless you're a woman in Saudi Arabia.
    Wireless charging should work through the case. It currently does with Samsung phones.