Apple debuts $999 iPhone X with OLED Super Retina Display & Face ID authentication

Comments

• Reply 121 of 352
    Well, I have had every iPhone up until now.  Unless AT&T kicks in a nice trade in like they did last year, we are going to bow out.  Price not worth the features.  I think all these tech companies are going to drive the consumer away.  Yes face ID is nice, but 1:50,000 for touch ID is safe enough for me.  What on this phone is a necessity that a current phone doesn't already do?  Is it sinking in yet to anybody else that the cost benefit analysis is dwindling?

Cost benefit analysis of a screen that's like like better than well, everyone by far (even Samsung(? IF you Don't give a f*ck, I supposed its worth zero.
    The AR implication of this phone alone are immense. Don't give a crap about that... I suppose its zero.
    The camera is a very substantial upgrade on both ends too. If you don't give a hoot about that, I suppose its zero.
    Smaller lighter phone but with a bigger screen.. If you don't give a f*ck, worth zero I guess.
    A possibly SMT powerhouse chip with machine learning... If you don't give a f*ck, another zero I suppose.
    et.c

So, if your a blase person who acts like they've seen everything on this planet.
    Well, there you go, Cost benefit of being dead inside results in not buying this phone or likely any other phone ever again.

Considering they're going all in on HDR and you get an automatic Itunes upgrade to 4K HDR, the screen alone could be worth it if you care about watching things that don't suck.

radarthekatiqatedo
  • Reply 122 of 352
    US $ 1625 for this?! No way! 
    Thanks for registering your dismay, now go buy an Android Phone, thank you for playing. BTW, the lowest level one is $999. Bye.
  • Reply 123 of 352
    Well, I have had every iPhone up until now.  Unless AT&T kicks in a nice trade in like they did last year, we are going to bow out.  Price not worth the features.  I think all these tech companies are going to drive the consumer away.  Yes face ID is nice, but 1:50,000 for touch ID is safe enough for me.  What on this phone is a necessity that a current phone doesn't already do?  Is it sinking in yet to anybody else that the cost benefit analysis is dwindling?  When is cool not enough.....I think we are at the doorstep to that.
    I'm with you on this one. Law of diminishing returns is definitely starting to come into effect here. It's a cool phone no doubt with amazing technology, just not sure if it's enough to get me to upgrade from my 7+ at the moment. I may instead just be upgrading my 1st gen Apple Watch which is starting to feel real slow. 
    Almost no one upgrades phones every year (stats show this) and Apple doesn't expect you to. So, that you don't feel inclined to do so is EXPECTED.
  • Reply 124 of 352
    melgross said:
    lkrupp said:
    So with all the bitching about the iPhone X and the dire pronouncements of 'not going to upgrade' I guess the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8+ got lost in the shuffle. For those bitching about Face ID... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about price... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about bezels and notches... iPhone 8 or 8+? What? Apple only makes one iPhone now and it's not for you? Please explain.
    iPhone 8 is $100 more expensive than iPhone 7 was. I am a little surprised Apple quoted the full price instead of monthly pricing.
    They always quote full prices.
    Since when? In the past they’d quote $199 or $299 or the Apple Upgrade monthly pricing amounts.
  • Reply 125 of 352
    fallenjt said:
    I see the notch is getting a lot of hate. Everyone was screaming 24/7 that bezels had to go, then when Apple gets rid of them people complain about the camera notch. Honestly like the camera bump I think people will get over/used to the notch and pretty soon no one will be talking about it.

Another thing I hate is journalists complaining about the software changes when they’ve spent like less than 5 minutes with the device in a hands on area. Don’t tell us software is confusing when you’ve spent next to no time using it.
    Where is the Reachability feature?
    Didn’t mention it so perhaps they got rid of it. I’ll admit the only time I used it is when I activated it by accident.
    kingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 126 of 352
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    No. $999 for 64GB, and $1149 for 256Gb. Where did you come up with that number?
    Based on the name and the way it's written I'm guessing that English isn't his first language so then I might assume that he's form Norway. The price in Norwegian Krone for the 256GB model is 12 690,00, or $1618.93 USD, as of this posting.

That includes no doubt VAT. $1150 * 1.25 = $1425 (that would be the US price with a 25% VAT).

edited September 2017
  • Reply 127 of 352
    AppleZulu said:

So the real question is: are the owners of 5s and 6 phones ready to get the upgrade?
    I'm not really ready, at this point. I have a 6, and it still seems like the best device for my needs, apart from the significant camera upgrades. I don't see anything else in the new devices that would really improve my experience much, and I would really miss the headphone jack. The 8 doesn't have the telephoto lens, and I don't want a bigger device, so my only option for that would be the X (which is actually still a little bigger), but I'm not sure I want to pay $1000 to trade my headphone jack for a better camera with the first really ugly iPhone camera bump (I don't use a case). I'm a big fan of Touch ID, so the Face ID is cool technology but not a real enticement for me. 

The point of Face ID seems to be that it allows them to have a bigger screen without making the device much bigger, but I would have preferred a smaller device with the same size screen.

As others have noted here, a number of features seem more "different" than actually "better." I hope lots of people buy the X when it comes out, but unless it impresses me a lot more in person than it has in the demos, I probably won't be one of them.

For me, the coolest announcement today was the GSM-enabled watches. That really does seem like a big step forward that will make the device a lot more useful.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 128 of 352
    Can some explain how the notch works with photos and video? Are things letterboxes or does the notch actually cover up a portion of the photo or video? If it’s the latter I’m not going to like it.
  • Reply 129 of 352
    I have just checked online russian Apple Store. It says iPhoneX prices starts at 79,990 rubles or $1379 (all taxes included). Ouch.

• Reply 130 of 352
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:
    lkrupp said:
    So with all the bitching about the iPhone X and the dire pronouncements of 'not going to upgrade' I guess the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8+ got lost in the shuffle. For those bitching about Face ID... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about price... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about bezels and notches... iPhone 8 or 8+? What? Apple only makes one iPhone now and it's not for you? Please explain.
    iPhone 8 is $100 more expensive than iPhone 7 was. I am a little surprised Apple quoted the full price instead of monthly pricing.
    They always quote full prices.
    Since when? In the past they’d quote $199 or $299 or the Apple Upgrade monthly pricing amounts.
    Always. Well, at least for a bunch of years. It’s been so long that l don’t remember when they didn’t.
  • Reply 131 of 352
    Soli said:

Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Based on the name and the way it's written I'm guessing that English isn't his first language so then I might assume that he's form Norway. The price in Norwegian Krone for the 256GB model is 12 690,00, or $1618.93 USD, as of this posting.

But that's with Norwegian VAT, exchange rates, local cost differentials etc.
    Obviously, but why does that matter when it's about the cost to the customer? If you told me that you'd give me some widget for free but there was a service charge of $10k applied  to it would you be confused if I said I don't want to pay $10k and reply with "but it's free!" All that matters is what he has to pay, so why be upset that he took the time to convert into USD for you instead of writing that's it's out of his price range in Norwegian?
    He registered to shit on Apple, so that says all. Not only that, used the most expensive version to make a point.
    Norwegians are pretty well off compared to say people in Spain or South America; so the whine is a bit much.
    The equivalent S8 probably cost $1400 in Norway when launched, so it does suck to buy tech in Norway I guess.
  • Reply 132 of 352
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Surprising negativity here. I have a 6. I think I'll get the 8 because I don't want to wait ( over here I suspect we won't get it until November/December)  but I have some envy of the X form factor and in two years will hope to buy that model. 
  • Reply 133 of 352
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    foggyhill said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

That includes no doubt VAT. $1150 * 1.25 = $1425 (that would be the US price with a 25% VAT). That's before converting to Krone  1425 * 1.20 is about $1725..

So, in fact the phone is cheaper in Norway than in the US.

Oddly, it's more expensive in Australia. I say "oddly" because typically Apple prices have worked out pretty well once taking GST and exchange rates into account.

But, iPhone X 64GB is listed by Apple at A$1579.

GST = 10% => ex-tax price: A$1435.45

Current exchange rate is A$1 = US$0.8019 => US$1151.09

• Reply 134 of 352
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I am no public speaker and do not like having to be in that role, but Tim Cook absolutely sucks and is not inspiring what so ever. Every thing that comes out of his mouth is forced and any attempt at humor is cringe worthy.
    In the US, and elsewhere in the English speaking world, we have many different accents. Be it Boston, New York, Minnesota etc. But as a Californian, the  southern drawl is the most painful To listen to. No matter how smart Tim might be, I find it  difficult to get over his southern accent. So, I can understand how people find his speaking presense less than impressive. I suppose it all depends on your perspective but his speaking voice totally grates on my ears.
  • Reply 135 of 352
    volcan said:
    I am no public speaker and do not like having to be in that role, but Tim Cook absolutely sucks and is not inspiring what so ever. Every thing that comes out of his mouth is forced and any attempt at humor is cringe worthy.
    In the US, and elsewhere in the English speaking world, we have many different accents. Be it Boston, New York, Minnesota etc. But as a Californian, the  southern drawl is the most painful To listen to. No matter how smart Tim might be, I find it  difficult to get over his southern accent. So, I can understand how people find his speaking presense less than impressive. I suppose it all depends on your perspective but his speaking voice totally grates on my ears.
    Interesting. I don't hear a southern accent from him at all. And no, I'm not from the south. I believe you, and I too have a negative reaction to southern drawls, but I don't really detect one in him.

OTOH, I do like Tim's style. He does speak slowly, but I think that is deliberate for the occasion. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 136 of 352
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Looks like basically everything was scooped by the "disgruntled employee." Still fun to watch.

And, Kuo may be owed an apology: he called the third-party wireless charging (although, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't wait to wait for Apple's version).
    Why wait when it's all the same tech. Absolutely no reason to wait at all. 
    I have exactly the three items to charge wirelessly on my bedstead at night.  I will wait for Apple's solution that can do them simultaneously.
  • Reply 137 of 352
    I still don't understand the vertical camera array. The only way it makes most sense is in landscape mode but in portrait mode the depth perception will be out of whack. There's a reason our eyes are side by side horizontally and not vertically.
    Depth perception works just fine vertically.  Parallax isn't confined to the horizontal plane.
  • Reply 138 of 352
    lkrupp said:
    So with all the bitching about the iPhone X and the dire pronouncements of 'not going to upgrade' I guess the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8+ got lost in the shuffle. For those bitching about Face ID... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about price... iPhone 8 or 8+? For those bitching about bezels and notches... iPhone 8 or 8+? What? Apple only makes one iPhone now and it's not for you? Please explain. The iPhone 8 series has the same processing power, the same custom GPU, same memory configurations, will smoke the competition just as good as the X. I knew this would happen. People are going to focus on the X and dismiss the 8 series. The 8 series is a major upgrade over the 7 and will probably be the sweet spot in the lineup. 
    Yep. Nailed it. The iPhone 8 / 8 Plus is a solid upgrade. That's the route I intend to go.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 139 of 352
    knowitall said:
    melgross said:

eightzero said:
    It's cool. I can't afford one. Will need to wait. 

I'm guessing the FaceID will be popular with law enforcement. Maybe that's a feature and not a bug.
    Were you listening to the presentation? You need to have your eyes open for it to work. They can’t force you to do that. ...
    Yes they can.
    How is that different from their using physical force to hold your finger against the TouchID button?
    They don't have to touch you.  They just have to wait you out.  Eventually, you'll open them.
  • Reply 140 of 352
    Upgrading from a 5s . . .  I would like everyone's thoughts on what I should buy now.  

A few questions/observations:

-1-  I would love the idea of extra screen size via the iPhone X, but is it fair to say that a lot of that 5.8" is owed to the diagonal measurement including the areas on both sides of the notch at the top?  I can't see that space being very useful.

-2-  What are the main advantages of getting the 8 over the 7?  It seems like two additional hours of battery life, plus you get 64GB of storage.  Anything else?

-3-  I am not sure I want to wait a couple months, either, so I think for me it comes down to the 7, the 8, or . . . sleeping with the enemy and getting an S8.

Any thoughts?