AT&T, Verizon will charge $10 per month for Apple Watch Series 3 cellular data plans [ux2]...

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2017
Though the Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular hardware costs just $30 more than its predecessor, it will run users an additional $10 per month for mobile data access on America's two largest wireless carriers.

Both AT&T and Verizon will charge $10 per month to add an Apple Watch Series 3 to a data plan, falling in line with plans for competing devices, according to The Street.

It also noted that Verizon plans to offer customers three free months of service up front. No such introductory offer was mentioned for AT&T -- the carrier used to demonstrate Apple Watch Series 3 calling during Tuesday's keynote.

However, carrier data plan costs were not detailed during the presentation, nor was such information available on Apple's website following the keynote.

The Apple Watch with cellular will also support U.S. carriers T-Mobile and Sprint, but neither has announced pricing. T-Mobile has historically undercut its larger rivals, charging $5 per month for wireless access from wearable devices.

Apple Watch Series 3 starts at $399 for a 38-millimeter model with cellular connectivity. The larger 42-millimeter variant is $429, and both prices clock in at $30 higher than the Apple Watch Series 2, without cellular, launched for last year.

Versions of the Series 3 without cellular connectivity will also be available starting at $329, while the Apple Watch Series 1 is $249. Cellular-connected models across the Apple Watch lineup -- including the Nike+ Sport, stainless steel and Edition versions -- are signified by a red dot on the Digital Crown.

Preorders for the Apple Watch Series 3 begin this Friday, Sept. 15. The product officially launches a week later on Friday, Sept. 22.

Update: AT&T has clarified its Apple Watch plan, saying that adding the device to an eligible wireless plan costs $10 per month. The telco is offering a $25 activation fee credit and $30 service credit for customers who add the device to a wireless plan costing at least $50 per month. Watch must be synced with a compatible iPhone via AT&T NumberSync for the credit to apply.

Update 2: T-Mobile has announced an Apple Watch offer identical to those presented by AT&T and Verizon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    Getting the new watch with LTE, so I guess my AT&T bill is going up due to greed.

Americans already pay among the highest prices for some of the poorest broadband.
    pujones1doozydozenradster360StrangeDayschristopher126airnerdGeorgeBMaclordjohnwhorfintoysandme
  • Reply 2 of 57
    If T-Mobile is still committed to its Uncarrier concept, they should offer this for free. First, it costs them almost nothing because data use through the watch is minimal. Second, Apple Watch buyers would flock to such a plan and bring their phone service needs with them. 
    doozydozenpulseimagesbrian greenkingofsomewherehotchristopher126lordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 3 of 57
    Anyone know if this thing will do international roaming?

• Reply 4 of 57
    I haven't seen the keynote yet but surfing AppleInsider I have to ask, "Will there be a Series three without cellular option?"  (I'm not thinking of Series 2 as the answer.)
    pulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 57
    $10/month for how little data the watch will stream is a crime. Won't do it. I'll jump to T-Mobile in a second if it is free.
    doozydozenradster360StrangeDaysbrian greenchristopher126spacekidlordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 6 of 57
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Time for Apple to do a real "one more thing" and announce they're now a cellular provider. 
    ramanpfaffScot1airnerdlordjohnwhorfintoysandmejaeberhart
  • Reply 7 of 57
    Sure, if you already spend ~ $180/month for the family plan.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    stuke said:
    I haven't seen the keynote yet but surfing AppleInsider I have to ask, "Will there be a Series three without cellular option?"  (I'm not thinking of Series 2 as the answer.)
    Yes. It's $329.
    doozydozenpulseimagesScot1
  • Reply 9 of 57
    stuke said:
    It's in the second to last paragraph of this story.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 57
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    $10/month for how little data the watch will stream is a crime. Won't do it. I'll jump to T-Mobile in a second if it is free.
    But you're not paying $10 month for data. You're paying $10 a month for having it always connected to their cellular infrastructure. How much do you think a flip phone would cost to add to Verizon that doesn't use any data?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 57
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,363member
    The LTE Apple Watch was the highlight of today's announcements - in my humble opinion. While the new iPhones do many things better or more elegantly than their predecessors, the new LTE Apple Watch opens up a whole new set of use cases that no previous watch has ever served. Dick Tracy would be envious of this thing. I expect they will sell in huge numbers. Ten bucks a month for service is still a good deal.
    edited September 2017 airnerdGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 57
    AT&T I supported you this long even though you have had greedy practices all this time and I forgave you, but this is really a low ball. I am not paying extra $10/month for alternate choice of phone device. I would be either using my phone or my watch. If you guys still want to be around longer, you need to stop chasing pennies. Time to head to T-Mobile or Sprint. AT&T, I gave you my 10 years with iPhone and 10 more prior to that using feature phones. No More!
    airnerd
  • Reply 13 of 57
    Well that's some bull. This adds $120 to the price of the device every year. For what is surely to be little-used comms. I find this unpractical and likely over-priced. These are the same bozos who scammed people on SMS charges for so long.
    airnerdlordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 14 of 57
    IDK Being able to jump in my car with just slick no pocket shorts and just an Watch and getting McDonalds in under 10 minutes flat paid with ApplePay is going to be fun 3 times a month... It's too bad other Fast Food places just don't support ApplePay yet (LAZY), cause that's the real crime!
    edited September 2017 pulseimagessupadav03airnerdGeorgeBMacmacgui
  • Reply 15 of 57
    As I understand, they're not asking $10/month for more data. This is just to give you access to the data plan you are already paying for! This is very much like Hotspot, which gives you access to your own data plan, which you are likely to use up in a hurry if you use a laptop through your iPhone as a modem. Some providers give you access to Hotspot for free (in some countries anyway) and other greedy bastards want even more money. :/
    edited September 2017 lordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 16 of 57
    The service providers are once again gouging the consumer. Why should it cost any extra to use the Watch on their network?

Watch uses the same number and account, data and minutes use will be from the same account as the underlying phone, so only one bill will be issued. What am I missing?

Plus of course it isn’t really $10. With AT&T there are taxes and fees that amount to an additional 25% per month — more like $13 extra per month for the privilege of using the Watch. 

Why isnt  the system like tethering - one data/minute pool for one account regardless of how the data is consumed?
    Scot1airnerdlordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 17 of 57
    If you go to the verizon site and search for Number share you will find they already offer it for $5 per month for many devices including the Samsung Gear S3 watch.
    If they are going to charge more for Apple I will be very unhappy. Will have to take that up when I get my replacement for my series 2
    GeorgeBMaclordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 18 of 57
    What does the size of the device or how much data you plan to use have anything to do with the standard line price. It's $10 to connect another device to your account that will have constant access to a cellular network. If you were adding a flip phone to your account it would be $10. Do you think I should be able to add as many flip phones to my account at no cost because it costs the carrier nothing for the infrastructure, maintaining a connection with the tower and routing calls do you think that a cost should be involved?
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Getting the new watch with LTE, so I guess my AT&T bill is going up due to greed.

Americans already pay among the highest prices for some of the poorest broadband.
    The freaking LTE service for Apple watch should be free for existing customers. It's just extended service of the main handset. You either use watch or phone, not both at the same time...
    StrangeDaysramanpfaffchristopher126Scot1lordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 20 of 57
    What reality did you people come from? The typical cost is $10 for adding a line. This is adding a fucking line!