Apple is de-bloating iTunes with latest 12.7 release, removes App Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2017
Apple on Tuesday updated its iTunes software for desktop computers, with the latest release marking major changes in both content presentation, supported devices, feature additions -- and deletions -- and more.

Pushed out to users shortly after today's big iPhone event, iTunes version 12.7 comes with a number of notable changes. As mentioned by Apple in a popup window displayed after installation, the new iTunes places emphasis on music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks. Absent from that list is the App Store, which was previously incorporated as a means to preview, purchase and manage iOS apps on registered devices.

In a surprising move, Apple is seemingly cutting bloat from iTunes, moving the software away from its previous status of centralized content management hub.

"If you previously used iTunes to sync apps or ringtones to your iOS device, use the new App Store or Sounds Settings on iOS to redownload them without your Mac," Apple says.

Beyond the App Store's removal, the latest iTunes iteration adds support for iOS 11 device syncing, meaning the software will still serve as a hardware management interface, at least for now.

As for feature additions, iTunes builds in a social networking function that allows Apple Music subscribers to create profiles and follow each other.

Other changes are mere design tweaks and include the relocation of iTunes U to Podcasts, while internet radio stations now appear in the music library sidebar. The company appears to be deemphasizing internet radio, as the view option can be toggled off completely.

Finally, Windows users will no longer see iBooks in their iTunes client, leaving the content accessible solely on iOS.

Apple breaks down the changes, as well as information on retrieving apps, ringtones and books, in a Support Pages post.

Apple's iTunes version 12.7 can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for free.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 95
    Does anybody have the link for the prior iTunes version download? Thank you.
    jeffharris
  • Reply 2 of 95
    So, no more creating your own ringtone and uploading it to your phone? There are still apps where you use iTunes to push documents to it, those are now toast. Not a fan.
    macseekerdoozydozenbaconstangdouglas baileyteaearlegreyhoturahara
  • Reply 3 of 95
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I really want a dedicated Apple Podcasts app on macOS. De-bloat her.

Love how they begin to remove bloat and the first two comments are complaints. Ha.
    edited September 2017 MuntzcornchipdoozydozenwilliamlondonStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 4 of 95
    I hope they have removed that filthy genius thing in the sidebar, deleting it by placing it in a folder and then deleting that provides only temporary relief. I like the sidebar but I've been forced to use the dropdown instead of the sidebar because if I accidentally touch that friggen 'genius' hotspot my iTunes tries to connect and tell me it's having problems. Genius.

EDIT: bugger it's still there.

edited September 2017 doozydozenbaconstang
  • Reply 5 of 95

macseeker said:
    https://support.apple.com/en_US/downloads/itunes
    doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 95
    macseeker said:
    So, you don't like it either, huh?
  • Reply 7 of 95
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Wow it is about time!!!

I never liked the everything  and the kitchen sink approach of iTunes.    Hopefully hit sis just a start.   On Mac OS I would most certainly like to see a Podcast app.  

iTunes itself could use a split library setup where music is one library and videos another.   The goal here is to keep music on ones local drive on the Mac and use an external drive to store video.    That would make iTunes 100 times more useful and cut down on streaming needs.
    Muntzdoozydozenchristopher126caliban11watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 95
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    This is a HUGE change with no prior warning. This basically neuters iTunes as a device management tool and basically turns it into a music player. At this point Apple should really just beef up the MiniPlayer to be the only UI and be done with the big UI version altogether. I guess I'm okay with it but this is a blindsided and unexpected move that's going to catch a lot of people off guard, especially current Sierra (not High Sierra) users. 
    tallest skilspace2001
  • Reply 9 of 95
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,023member
    gadgetdon said:
    So, no more creating your own ringtone and uploading it to your phone? There are still apps where you use iTunes to push documents to it, those are now toast. Not a fan.
    Except with macOS 10.13 and iOS 11 you will be able to use the Files app to "push" documents to your iOS devices. Isn't that a lot easier?
    edited September 2017 longpathMuntzcornchipRayz2016
  • Reply 10 of 95
    gadgetdon said:
    Given the Files application in iOS11, there a number of workflows that will still allow you to achieve the same function without iTunes.

What I am most interested in, is can the ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications folder and content be deleted without harming the backup process of iOS devices?
    Muntz
  • Reply 11 of 95
    Hum. I dislike losing functionality. If there is a separate macOS to manage a connected iOS device, fine. I'm not seeing such a thing though. 
    baconstangspace2001
  • Reply 12 of 95
    gadgetdon said:
    If you read the support doc, it clearly states you can still drag ringtones straight to your device via iTunes. 

Likewise, when your device is connected to iTunes, you still have the same Apps panel to add/retrieve documents from Apps that support that. That hasn't changed, so calm down. 
    douglas baileymike1john.bpichaelStrangeDayssphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 95
    gadgetdon said:  So, no more creating your own ringtone and uploading it to your phone? There are still apps where you use iTunes to push documents to it, those are now toast. Not a fan.

This seems to indicate that manual file movement should still be possible:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201593
    fastasleeppichael
  • Reply 14 of 95

dewme said:
    This is a HUGE change with no prior warning. This basically neuters iTunes as a device management tool and basically turns it into a music player. At this point Apple should really just beef up the MiniPlayer to be the only UI and be done with the big UI version altogether. I guess I'm okay with it but this is a blindsided and unexpected move that's going to catch a lot of people off guard, especially current Sierra (not High Sierra) users. 
    How so? You can still manage your device via iTunes, you just don't shop for iOS apps on it. They've been deprecating the storing of iOS apps on the Mac for a while now, so there was most definitely some warning there. 
    john.b
  • Reply 15 of 95
    eightzero said:
    Hum. I dislike losing functionality. If there is a separate macOS to manage a connected iOS device, fine. I'm not seeing such a thing though. 
    Here you go:

john.burahara
  • Reply 16 of 95
    Do any of you know if it changed any video content (TV or movies) to H.265 instead of H.264?
  • Reply 17 of 95
    The only thing I'm really seeing missing from the device management side of things when glancing at the support docs, is there's no longer the Apps > Home Screens panel where you can rearrange your apps and folders, etc. That feature has *always* sucked, though it was a little easier for massive reorganizations of large numbers of apps because you could grab many apps at once and drag them to a new screen or folder. If that's completely gone with no better way to do this on iOS, then I'd say that's a bit of a loss. 
    danielkbaconstangspace2001john.blibertyforall
  • Reply 18 of 95
    So uhm, how can I unhide apps I already had? I tend to hide some of them so my Purchased list is smaller. Even paid ones.
  • Reply 19 of 95
    Apps is gone, so I can't unhide them anymore?
  • Reply 20 of 95
    I can't figure out why Apple simply deleted the possibility to manage apps in OSX. Removing it from iTunes, why not. Have the App Store manage all apps for consistency. But simply deleting it and providing no alternative? A totally useless move. Possibly they wanted to get rid of AppShopper?
    baconstangspace2001