Apple debuts $999 iPhone X with OLED Super Retina Display & Face ID authentication

Comments

• Reply 181 of 352
    With Face ID, how are you supposed to unlock your phone while driving?
  • Reply 182 of 352
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Well, I have had every iPhone up until now.  Unless AT&T kicks in a nice trade in like they did last year, we are going to bow out.  Price not worth the features.  I think all these tech companies are going to drive the consumer away.  Yes face ID is nice, but 1:50,000 for touch ID is safe enough for me.  What on this phone is a necessity that a current phone doesn't already do?  Is it sinking in yet to anybody else that the cost benefit analysis is dwindling?  When is cool not enough.....I think we are at the doorstep to that.
    I'm with you on this one. Law of diminishing returns is definitely starting to come into effect here. It's a cool phone no doubt with amazing technology, just not sure if it's enough to get me to upgrade from my 7+ at the moment. I may instead just be upgrading my 1st gen Apple Watch which is starting to feel real slow. 
    This phone is $130.00 more than the 7 plus from last year, I currently have the 128gb model. It's would cost 8.00 more per month than what I currently pay on the Apple upgrade program.  It may not be for you, but it's not like it's 500.00 more than last years model? I am by no means rich, but I think if I decide to get this special edition phone, 130.00$ more or $96.00 dollars extra a year isn't that crazy in my mind. You both sound as if you are talking yourselves out of getting it hahaha ... If it's too much for you cool, but don't shit on the phone with this diminishing returns silliness. Some people would never pay 100K for a car, while others would, does that mean the 100k car isn't worth it because it's out of your budget? 
    caliradarthekat
  • Reply 183 of 352
    thompr said:
    kevin kee said:
    tzeshan said:
    I think FaceID can be easily compromised by hard core criminals.
    FaceID has 1 million secure points,  it is currently the hardest (though not impossible, time will tell) security tool to be compromised by anyone.
    I'm not worried about the false positive (i.e. thinking someone else is you) so much as the false negative (i.e. not recognizing your face when you are using ApplePay).  It happened to Craig on stage, 1 time out of about 4.  They better get the software right in time for launch.
    What happened to Craig is different, not because the FaceID didn't recognise him.  The passcode screen that Federighi got on that first iPhone X said “Your passcode is required to enable Face ID.” This is the same screen that would come up on existing iPhones after a device has been restarted — or simply after several hours have passed without authenticating through the lock screen. This is a security precaution introduced with Touch ID that will clearly carry onward with Face ID.
    fastasleepstompycornchipcalipscooter63radarthekat
  • Reply 184 of 352
    eightzero said:
    It's cool. I can't afford one. Will need to wait. 

I heard that. All things being equal, I'm guessing these will depreciate in line with the other phones, so about $100yr. That means I'll be able to afford one in eight years or so - I'll be 45. Stoked. Can't wait.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 185 of 352
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I still don't understand the vertical camera array. The only way it makes most sense is in landscape mode but in portrait mode the depth perception will be out of whack. There's a reason our eyes are side by side horizontally and not vertically.
    I'm sure you're smarter than the design and testing teams at Apple.  
    califastasleeppscooter63radarthekat
  • Reply 186 of 352
    I’m seeing techies on Twitter saying they’re not blown away by iPhone X.  So what exactly would blow them away? 
    THIS.

It just boggles the mind how no matter what Apple do, people hate, whine and complain.

If this was the new google pixel there would be nothing but universal praise.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 187 of 352
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    melgross said:

tzeshan said:
    Did you really think, or are you just saying it? As they said, no security is perfect, but this is pretty good. They even made a point of saying that it’s the best “consumer” technology, recognizing that governmental and large corporate systems, with their supervision of the site itself being a part of it, are more secure. Military installations that use fingerprint or iris recognition have two armed guards watching to make sure nobody does anything to cheat the system.
    I am thinking that a dummy head may be used to unlock. Unless FaceID can see details of the skin, 
    k2kw
  • Reply 188 of 352
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Hm, iPhone X A11 page mentions the neural net, iPhone 8 A11 page does not. Slightly different chips? 
  • Reply 189 of 352
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    tzeshan said:
    melgross said:

tzeshan said:
    Did you really think, or are you just saying it? As they said, no security is perfect, but this is pretty good. They even made a point of saying that it’s the best “consumer” technology, recognizing that governmental and large corporate systems, with their supervision of the site itself being a part of it, are more secure. Military installations that use fingerprint or iris recognition have two armed guards watching to make sure nobody does anything to cheat the system.
    I am thinking that a dummy head may be used to unlock. Unless FaceID can see details of the skin, 
    Check the keynote at 1:31:22. They specifically addressed this in the presentation. They used Hollywood mask-makers and makeup artists to create these "dummy heads" for the engineers to use to train the neural networks to recognize these kinds of fakes.

Shit, if someone wants to go to that much trouble to get into your phone, well...

edited September 2017 fastasleepstompycornchipStrangeDays
  • Reply 190 of 352
    eightzero said:

I'm guessing the FaceID will be popular with law enforcement. Maybe that's a feature and not a bug.
    I think that's an overblown problem. If it becomes legal to force any person to unlock his/her personal device, and any evidence that comes from that has a standing in court, than it doesn't make a difference if it is FaceID or TouchID. Any person can be made to comply, without undue use of force, to unlock a phone in this way.

The use of a PIN, or a full blown password, to unlock is another issue altogether. I just don't see any way a democratic country can justify the means necessary to make a person to comply in providing these.

Classic security vs. convenience compromise that happens everywhere
    StrangeDaysradarthekat
  • Reply 191 of 352
    melgross said:
    Airpower sounds pretty good. And you do need a brand name for features.
    (cough) BezelNotch™
  • Reply 192 of 352
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    tzeshan said:
    melgross said:

tzeshan said:
    If you watched the presentation (I seem to be saying that a lot today) you would know that Apple even made 3D masks that are extremely lifelike in order to be able to learn how to defeat them. Again, not perfect, but it doesn’t have to be.

I see that Rob55 beat me to it, even showing the masks, which look more lifelike than some of my friends.
    edited September 2017 rob55fastasleepstompycornchipStrangeDaysradarthekat
  • Reply 193 of 352
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

hentaiboy said:
    melgross said:
    Airpower sounds pretty good. And you do need a brand name for features.
    (cough) BezelNotch™
    Yeah, that’s...funny?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 194 of 352
    sflocal said:
    I myself was a little underwhelmed with the IPX.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's their best phone yet from a technology perspective.  I might still get one as my iP6+ is beginning to show its age after three years.  

I'm not a fan of any facial-recognition to unlock/control a phone.  I ride a motorcycle every day and I'm curious how it will work while I'm still wearing my helmet.  For the time being... I'm remaining neutral on it until I see it in person.  I might just go with an iP8 instead.

Either way, great job Apple. It's a nice evolution of an already amazing phone.
    Hopefully your not trying to unlock your phone wearing a helmet while riding, or the recognition of your face after it scrapes across the pavement is bound to fail. Just don't do it!
    StrangeDaysradarthekat
  • Reply 195 of 352
    bill42 said:
    sflocal said:
    I'm not a fan of any facial-recognition to unlock/control a phone.  I ride a motorcycle every day and I'm curious how it will work while I'm still wearing my helmet.  For 
    For non-visor, probably not an issue. For a visor style, that's a bit more iffy. Depends on what percentage of the face needs to still be visible to work. They did show people wearing hats, glasses, and scarves etc., so I suppose there's a chance that you could raise the visor and still get it to work. 
    I was thinking the same, but I can never open my iPhone with my gloves anyway. So if I have to stop anyway to take a glove off, I might as well type in my code.
    bill42 said:
    sflocal said:
    I'm not a fan of any facial-recognition to unlock/control a phone.  I ride a motorcycle every day and I'm curious how it will work while I'm still wearing my helmet.  For 
    For non-visor, probably not an issue. For a visor style, that's a bit more iffy. Depends on what percentage of the face needs to still be visible to work. They did show people wearing hats, glasses, and scarves etc., so I suppose there's a chance that you could raise the visor and still get it to work. 
    I was thinking the same, but I can never open my iPhone with my gloves anyway. So if I have to stop anyway to take a glove off, I might as well type in my code.
    Motorcycle riding is dangerous enough with 80%+ of accidents caused by the other driver. So what kind of moron tries to unlock and use their phone while riding a motorcycle? Automatic jail time should be required.
  • Reply 196 of 352
    Rayz2016 said:
    I think people seem to forget that no one buys a smartphone outright; it comes on a contract. And if you don't want a contract then get it on Apple's pay monthly scheme. 

The price of an iPhone has only ever been an issue in online forums. 
    Uh... that may be true for YOU... but I have 6 iPhones (some as old as 5s :)... kids get old ones), all bought outright at full price.  Contrary to YOUR view, I wouldn't dream of buying one on installments.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 197 of 352
    freerange said:
    sflocal said:
    I myself was a little underwhelmed with the IPX.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's their best phone yet from a technology perspective.  I might still get one as my iP6+ is beginning to show its age after three years.  

I'm not a fan of any facial-recognition to unlock/control a phone.  I ride a motorcycle every day and I'm curious how it will work while I'm still wearing my helmet.  For the time being... I'm remaining neutral on it until I see it in person.  I might just go with an iP8 instead.

Either way, great job Apple. It's a nice evolution of an already amazing phone.
    Hopefully your not trying to unlock your phone wearing a helmet while riding, or the recognition of your face after it scrapes across the pavement is bound to fail. Just don't do it!
    Skull ID in the iPhone XI in case you rip your face off (or Hannibal Lecter does it for you).
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 198 of 352
    melgross said:

eightzero said:

I'm guessing the FaceID will be popular with law enforcement. Maybe that's a feature and not a bug.
    Were you listening to the presentation? You need to have your eyes open for it to work. They can’t force you to do that. Besides, I just can’t understand what it is that some people are so concerned about with that. What are you planning to do that this would be a problem? Should we be reporting you to the FBI?
    This is potentially non-trivial when you're crossing borders and you're a business traveler. If customs or immigration forces you to unlock it, they can view anything, including your emails, texts, phone call logs, etc., and there may be confidential company material, secrets, plans, IP, etc. With TouchID you can just avoid setting it up, and say that you forgot your password (or some such thing).

Of you are so concerned about your data when traveling aboard you have a strong password instead of biometrics. 

• Reply 199 of 352
    Do any current or upcoming Apple computers perhaps have a secure enclave chip to allow Face ID to run on them? The FaceTime Camera seems like a perfect piece of hardware for the job, and things like battery power and CPU power aren't an issue for desktop or laptop computers. Can anyone give a reason why this shouldn't work on an Apple computer?
    iqatedo
  • Reply 200 of 352
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    rob55 said:
    tzeshan said:
    melgross said:

tzeshan said:
    Check the keynote at 1:31:22. They specifically addressed this in the presentation. They used Hollywood mask-makers and makeup artists to create these "dummy heads" for the engineers to use to train the neural networks to recognize these kinds of fakes.

Shit, if someone wants to go to that much trouble to get into your phone, well...

OK  I am convinced. Apple engineers are really the best in the class.