First look: Hands-on with Apple's iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 436
    schlack said:
    Interesting to see that Apple now has a phone lineup that spans from $350 to $1150, wow. That $1150 price point feels just absurd. Will be interesting to see how this sells. I guess I'll be holding on to my (perfectly awesome) iPhone 7 for at least another year or two.
    The sad part is believe it or not the iPhone X will probably be successful.  Take into account how many people here blindly decree "wallet open,take my money Apple" on simple rumors. 
    cropr
  • Reply 22 of 436
    tshapi said:
    schlack said:
    Interesting to see that Apple now has a phone lineup that spans from $350 to $1150, wow. That $1150 price point feels just absurd. Will be interesting to see how this sells. I guess I'll be holding on to my (perfectly awesome) iPhone 7 for at least another year or two.
    The sad part is believe it or not the iPhone X will probably be successful.  Take into account how many people here blindly decree "wallet open,take my money Apple" on simple rumors. 
    Simple rumors? What are you reading? iPhone X is chock full of new hardware and software to match. Take it from this system engineer who bought the first iPhone in 2007, waiting 11 hrs in a line: if you can afford it, get it!!
    napoleon_phoneapartStrangeDaysstarwarsben20mwhitedoozydozenpscooter63bb-15netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 436
    schlack said:
    They couldn't produce enough at $800 to satisfy demand, that's a certainty.
    bb-15PickUrPoison
  • Reply 24 of 436
    REALLY? REALLY? People were CLAPPING when Schiller told them that you now can't access your MONEY or any of your personal info without FACIAL RECOGNITION?

Are you still going to be clapping when the government takes away YOUR ABILITY TO ACCESS YOUR OWN MONEY because it considers you a "terrorist threat" or says you have an "illegal" political view?

Steve Jobs would NEVER have condoned this BIG BROTHER crap, you know it. This is the creepiest thing since the fingerprint BS in the iPhone 5, 6 and 7. Apple is changing for sure, and not in a good way.

I don't want to have to wear a watch that reports how healthy I am and how much money I have to "the cloud." You might as well ask how much SLAVE LIFE a person has left in them.
    Your order of tin foil hats is in.
    StrangeDaysmagman1979Rayz2016starwarswilliamlondonelectrosoftpalominemark fearingmwhitedoozydozen
  • Reply 25 of 436
    entropys said:
    Notch when playing video: really? I mean really? Steve Jobs (PBOH) would never have allowed it. You know this is true.
    I bet in the next iteration, there will be holes 'drilled' into the frame for all those sensors. :)
  • Reply 26 of 436
    melgross said:
    "The iPhone 6, 6s and 7 generations each sold around 170 million units in their first year."

Apple say they can only produce 10,000 iPhone X's a day so at that rate to make 170 million would take them a bit over 46 years! 
    Was that actually Apple that said that? I thought it was a writer on some web site that said that.
    Ah yes my bad, that was that 'well connected guy' whose name fortunately escapes me atm. Nevertheless it's probably currently accurate, though obviously it cannot stay that way.

I think you're thinking of Ming-Chi Kuo here a link to an article from MacRumors. Although Ming-Chi Kuo has been right over the years he has also been very wrong just about as much as he's been right so take that for what it is.
    palominebb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 436

REALLY? REALLY? People were CLAPPING when Schiller told them that you now can't access your MONEY or any of your personal info without FACIAL RECOGNITION?

Are you still going to be clapping when the government takes away YOUR ABILITY TO ACCESS YOUR OWN MONEY because it considers you a "terrorist threat" or says you have an "illegal" political view?

Steve Jobs would NEVER have condoned this BIG BROTHER crap, you know it. This is the creepiest thing since the fingerprint BS in the iPhone 5, 6 and 7. Apple is changing for sure, and not in a good way.

I don't want to have to wear a watch that reports how healthy I am and how much money I have to "the cloud." You might as well ask how much SLAVE LIFE a person has left in them.
    Hmmm. TouchID is 1 in 50,000 may be able to access your iPhone, which is the current 'gold standard' for security. FaceID is 1 in 1,000,000. Now that's pretty cool! :)

magman1979mark fearingbb-15netmagewatto_cobraargonautredgeminipa
  • Reply 28 of 436

bitmod said:
    I found nothing compelling about the X other than the color/build quality and OLED display. 
    The constant face scanning is actually a major turn-off and not something I want. 
    It's actually a lot faster and more convienent to click the home button while pulling the phone out of your pocket and straight to your ear, than bringing the phone to your forward looking face and swiping up before bringing to your ear. 

I sense a growing divergence in what people will accept in regards to privacy.
    I don't think the X will fail, but the face recognition will. For the same reason Oculus failed... it's a step too far in loss of privacy. 

The 8 will blow the X out of the water in sales for this reason alone. 
    Yep, you're right. Having the best designed device in the history of man, is not for everyone. :)
    StrangeDaysmagman1979Scot1equality72521mwhitedoozydozennetmagePickUrPoisonwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 29 of 436
    dunestock said:
    Without a home button, how do you take a screenshot?
    Side button and volume up at the same time.
    magman1979starwarspalominedoozydozenuniscapeartdentrandominternetpersondws-2netmagePickUrPoison
  • Reply 30 of 436
    "Forcing the entire installed base of iPhone users into this new way of working might cause some blowback, as the majority of people don't like change. But tying these new mechanisms to a premium phone that you have to pay extra for means that iPhone X users will effectively be asking for the new behavior, rather than being pushed into it."

Good point. And a rather good strategy by Apple. Really awesome lineup this fall, and I am in the market for a new phone so, depends on which of the 8 and X Apple can keep in stock. 
    StrangeDayslostkiwi
  • Reply 31 of 436
    tshapi said:
    There are two ways to look at it, Face id takes off and next year Apple ditches Touch ID in the standard iPhone. Or face id flops and Apple has an extra year to figure out how to built the Touch ID into the next generation iPhone X 
    Apple has invested in FaceID RnD for at least 5 years. It's in their road map since beginning, not because of TouchID or any other reasons. This new tech is just mind blowing if you compare to any competitors. The cost of implementing facial recognition is still the most expensive solutions, that's why it was only available in airports. Well not anymore. Now you can have a phone that wake up when you touch it, unlock when you look at it and is still the most secured phone.
    StrangeDayscanukstormpalominemwhitedoozydozenuniscapePickUrPoisonwatto_cobraargonautredgeminipa
  • Reply 32 of 436

schlack said:
    75% of GDP is made up by consumers. A little known fact is that 50% of GDP is made up by the top 10% of consumers. This is Apple's core market. Let Samsung cater to the bottom 90% and 'not' make any money. Apple's goal is a $1,000+ iPad, a $1,000+ MacBook, and a $1,000+ iPhone. Check! :)
    equality72521anantksundaramfotoformatargonautredgeminipa
  • Reply 33 of 436

Paranoid and ignorant. Hint: that isn’t how it works. 
    magman1979doozydozenchristopher126netmagewatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 34 of 436

"The iPhone 6, 6s and 7 generations each sold around 170 million units in their first year."

Apple say they can only produce 10,000 iPhone X's a day so at that rate to make 170 million would take them a bit over 46 years! 
    Apple never said that, a rumor did. 
    magman1979doozydozenpscooter63netmagewatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 35 of 436
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    I have a 6 now.  3 years old and GPS receiver not working anymore.  Already had battery replaced.  All in all it lasted better than the 5 did.  

I wish the 8 had the good camera.  I would pay a premium for the good camera.  But I really don't like the plus size device.  And now Apple has made the X which has the fancy camera in the same size device as my 6.   a $400ish premium, but it comes with a ton of other neat stuff.  Hmm.  Probably.  256GB?  Nice.  
    Scot1netmagePickUrPoisonwatto_cobraargonautredgeminipa
  • Reply 36 of 436

bitmod said:
    I found nothing compelling about the X other than the color/build quality and OLED display. 
    The constant face scanning is actually a major turn-off and not something I want. 
    It's actually a lot faster and more convienent to click the home button while pulling the phone out of your pocket and straight to your ear, than bringing the phone to your forward looking face and swiping up before bringing to your ear. 

I sense a growing divergence in what people will accept in regards to privacy.
    I don't think the X will fail, but the face recognition will. For the same reason Oculus failed... it's a step too far in loss of privacy. 

The 8 will blow the X out of the water in sales for this reason alone. 
    - Why would you need to unlock the phone to put it to your ear? Accepting a call never requires authentication. 

- What loss of privacy are you talking about? Specifically? Lost to whom?
    kingofsomewherehotmagman1979equality72521doozydozenrandominternetpersonnetmagewatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 37 of 436
    tshapi said:
    schlack said:
    Yes, it is so sad when people find enough value in a thing to pay for that thing, and that thing becomes successful. It’s a shame really. 

rolleyes
    kingofsomewherehotmagman1979equality72521mike1loquiturdoozydozenhaarpscooter63beowulfschmidtnetmage
  • Reply 38 of 436
    kevin kee said:
    Hmmm, I first notice how small it is in the hand, after several years with plus model. And to be honest, the notch on the top is not bothering me at all. It was a little bit strange in the beginning though, but it grows on me. Still, I am curious why they opt for this design as oppose to make the whole bar black.
    The black bar at top could easily be solved with wallpaper to make it extend across the top.  Maybe in a few generations they'll have a way to put all those sensors behind the screen entirely. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 436
    kevin kee said:
    tshapi said:
    There are two ways to look at it, Face id takes off and next year Apple ditches Touch ID in the standard iPhone. Or face id flops and Apple has an extra year to figure out how to built the Touch ID into the next generation iPhone X 
    Apple has invested in FaceID RnD for at least 5 years. It's in their road map since beginning, not because of TouchID or any other reasons. This new tech is just mind blowing if you compare to any competitors. The cost of implementing facial recognition is still the most expensive solutions, that's why it was only available in airports. Well not anymore. Now you can have a phone that wake up when you touch it, unlock when you look at it and is still the most secured phone.
    I know, Apple has bought prime sense and face shift not to mention multiple other companies to make this happen. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 436

- Why would you need to unlock the phone to put it to your ear? Accepting a call never requires authentication. 

- What loss of privacy are you talking about? Specifically? Lost to whom?
    To make a call... you need to unlock the phone. To glance at info/notifications... from what I saw on the keynote, FR is somewhat cumbersome. If you need that level of security, then I guess you need it.

As far as privacy - don't be naive. Government and law enforcement have access to all data gathered. We learned this from Snowden - all the while Apple selling the same lie that it's protected - having to later admit it does store and hand over this info. Then we learned it again that the 'can never be decrypted' was decrypted in a day by some 'third party' to help crack that terrorist's cell phone. 

I don't think people want to give their biometric facial information to a company notorious for lying about its 'anonymous' and 'secure' data collection that is neither. 
    I've only spoken to 3 people about it today - but none of them are warm to the idea.
    Doesn't mean it won't sell like hotcakes - but I doubt the majority will use the FR. I don't know anyone who uses the touch security on their phones. They are either passcode or none - for the same privacy reasons - and that's gotta be well over 20 people. 

Time will tell thou. Facebook had a lot of blowback over their FR. 
    If Apple Pay gets more traction - maybe it will take off. But it hasn't exactly taken off has it. 
    [Deleted User]