Apple is de-bloating iTunes with latest 12.7 release, removes App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    This is nuts. What's next, iTunes Libraries not being backed up with Time Machine (like your iBooks already aren't)? I have apps that work perfectly fine but have been taken off the iTunes Store. I CAN'T manage them from iOS, thank you very much, Apple, because you've removed them from my Purchased list. And, as others have mentioned, direct document transfer with third party apps seems to be gone.

The worst part is if I want to (hack) High Sierra onto my Mac Pro, it will force me to use this iTunes.
    edited September 2017 macseekerpscooter63kirkgraybaconstang
  • Reply 22 of 95
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    macseeker said:
    Does anybody have the link for the prior iTunes version download? Thank you.
    There's this thing called Time Machine.
  • Reply 23 of 95
    I can't figure out why Apple simply deleted the possibility to manage apps in OSX. Removing it from iTunes, why not. Have the App Store manage all apps for consistency. But simply deleting it and providing no alternative? A totally useless move. Possibly they wanted to get rid of AppShopper?
    Don't you think High Sierra features an app to manage these? I did not use any beta, maybe some testers have the answer...
  • Reply 24 of 95
    For years and years we hear people bitching that iTunes is bloated.  Turns out, there's another cohort out there who will bitch when iTunes slims down.  Steve had been right all along to just design the product as Apple sees fit, and to hell with what all the moaners moan about because there will always be moaners no matter what Apple does.
    lkrupptallest skilEric_WVGGcanukstormSolibaconstangfastasleeppscooter63Rayz2016equality72521
  • Reply 25 of 95
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    tundraboy said:
    For years and years we hear people bitching that iTunes is bloated.  Turns out, there's another cohort out there who will bitch when iTunes slims down.  Steve had been right all along to just design the product as Apple sees fit, and to hell with what all the moaners moan about because there will always be moaners no matter what Apple does.
    Brother you win the Internet today. People will bitch no matter what Apple does. And thank god Apple usually ignores them.
    williamlondonmike1StrangeDayswatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 26 of 95
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tundraboy said:
    LOL That's my view of this thread. I could swear at least a couple of the people are ones that kept saying iTunes needs to be completely dismantled into separate apps.
    edited September 2017 mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 95
    gadgetdon said:
    There are still apps where you use iTunes to push documents to it, those are now toast. Not a fan.
    You can still push documents to these apps.. It has the same list (showing the apps) as before. in iTunes on the Mac. You just can't manage the apps themselves (install or delete or organize the icons).  You can do this from the App Store app on the IOS device, Updates-->Purchased.  No functionality has been removed.. just how you do it has changed.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 28 of 95
    fede777 said:
    Apps is gone, so I can't unhide them anymore?

edited September 2017
  • Reply 29 of 95
    fede777 said:
    So uhm, how can I unhide apps I already had? I tend to hide some of them so my Purchased list is smaller. Even paid ones.
    You can see all your purchased iOS apps on each IOS device.  App Store-->Updates (on the bottom)-->Purchased (on the top).  You will see all the apps there including ones that were previously hidden.  If anything there is no no way to hide apps but I'm assuming this will eventually change..
  • Reply 30 of 95
    ireland said:
    I really want a dedicated Apple Podcasts app on macOS. De-bloat her.

Love how they begin to remove bloat and the first two comments are complaints. Ha.
    Why a separate app for podcasts? Seems like adding more apps to macOS which kind of has the opposite effect to debloating everything. You're just moving the problem from one place to another.

on that line of thinking though I'd rather see Preview disappear and rolled into iBooks so that PDFs are read directly in iBooks but add Previews annotation functionality.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 95
    tundraboy said:
    ++++++1
    fastasleep
  • Reply 32 of 95
    webraider said:
    fede777 said:
    So uhm, how can I unhide apps I already had? I tend to hide some of them so my Purchased list is smaller. Even paid ones.
    You can see all your purchased iOS apps on each IOS device.  App Store-->Updates (on the bottom)-->Purchased (on the top).  You will see all the apps there including ones that were previously hidden.  If anything there is no no way to hide apps but I'm assuming this will eventually change..
    You can still hide purchased apps by swiping left in the App Store app. I just hid an old app and actually cannot find any way to restore it via the app except for iTunes (I haven't upgraded yet). Something they overlooked? 
  • Reply 33 of 95
    Hmmm... Does this mean we no longer have the option of backing up iOS IPA files on our Macs for longevity? If so, that really sucks. I've relied on backups of IPA files several times through the years after Apple pulled apps from the store, or the updated version of an app is unsatisfactory. Will there still be a way to archive IPA files?
    space2001kirkgraybaconstang
  • Reply 34 of 95
    *SNIPPED FOR RELEVANCE*

on that line of thinking though I'd rather see Preview disappear and rolled into iBooks so that PDFs are read directly in iBooks but add Previews annotation functionality.
    I'd rather not. I use Preview to view files other than just PDFs. Your opinion is probably based purely on PDFs and nothing else.

Cheers
    pscooter63fastasleepmike1baconstang
  • Reply 35 of 95
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    tundraboy said:
    Amen brother. 

Soli said:
    tundraboy said:
    LOL That's my view of this thread. I could swear at least a couple of the people are ones that kept saying iTunes needs to be completely dismantled into separate apps.
    I was thinking the same thing!

williamlondon
  • Reply 36 of 95
    One used to be able to hide media types that weren't being used (like, not having to see Movies and Audiobooks in the dropdown list if you don't have any of those), but I can't see any such option to hide those now - has it moved, or been removed?
  • Reply 37 of 95
    Hmmm... Does this mean we no longer have the option of backing up iOS IPA files on our Macs for longevity? If so, that really sucks. I've relied on backups of IPA files several times through the years after Apple pulled apps from the store, or the updated version of an app is unsatisfactory. Will there still be a way to archive IPA files?
    I haven't used any of 'em for quite a while, but do iExplorer or iMazing let you copy .ipa files to your Mac?  According to Apple, you CAN copy .ipa files back to your device via iTunes. 

On a side note, I just updated my iPhone 6 to 11 after looking at the list of apps that aren't ready for 64bit, hesitated, then went for it. The only thing in the list was a looping audio thing called Ambiance that hasn't been updated for 4 years, which I can easily replace. I figure anything that's no longer on the store, or hasn't been updated in years is most likely abandonware and that just comes with the territory. I'm kinda ambivalent about the idea of needing to archive or access abandoned software... are there really apps that you absolutely cannot replace easily (or quickly forget about and move on) these days? I was like, hmm I've been sucking up 6GB of space for Rage HD and some version of Modern Combat and Hawx which I probably played like once each. ¯\(°_o)/¯

When it comes down to it, I feel like I've spent so much of my life "managing" apps and archiving things and what not that I'm happy to be forced to be rid of the cruft.
    lowededwookiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 95
    Well, I decided to keep iTunes version 12.6.2 on my Sierra HD.  In a few weeks, I'll clone the HD and upgrade that one to High Sierra with iTunes version 12.7.  Then when I need to manage my iOS devices, I'll use the Sierra HD iTunes.  Just in case, I downloaded the iTunes 12.6.2 installer.
    space2001baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 95
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Great! Next:
    1. A dedicated macOS  TV app for Films and TV programmes.
    2. Audiobooks moves to the iBooks app?

>:x

baconstang
  • Reply 40 of 95
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    tundraboy said:
    Brother you win the Internet today. People will bitch no matter what Apple does. And thank god Apple usually ignores them.
    I'm going to add to the bitching:

Why did they take so long to remove it! 

See, you can't pleas anybody…