AT&T, Verizon will charge $10 per month for Apple Watch Series 3 cellular data plans [ux2]...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    Soli said:
    What does the size of the device or how much data you plan to use have anything to do with the standard line price. It's $10 to connect another device to your account that will have constant access to a cellular network. If you were adding a flip phone to your account it would be $10. Do you think I should be able to add as many flip phones to my account at no cost because it costs the carrier nothing for the infrastructure, maintaining a connection with the tower and routing calls do you think that a cost should be involved?
    Wrong! if you add a flip phone to your account, it's a stand alone device with its own number. This watch service is just extended part of the phone. It doesn't have it own number.
    palko79
  • Reply 22 of 57
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    fallenjt said:
    Soli said:
    What does the size of the device or how much data you plan to use have anything to do with the standard line price. It's $10 to connect another device to your account that will have constant access to a cellular network. If you were adding a flip phone to your account it would be $10. Do you think I should be able to add as many flip phones to my account at no cost because it costs the carrier nothing for the infrastructure, maintaining a connection with the tower and routing calls do you think that a cost should be involved?
    Wrong! if you add a flip phone to your account, it's a stand alone device with its own number. This watch service is just extended part of the phone. It doesn't have it own number.
    Wait, what? You think giving your watch a new number is more costly and easier than creating a smart interface that allows you to call from either device and have it show up as the same number while both devices are able to get data from the cellular network? You really think you're being negatively affected by not having a second phone number for this device so people don't know which device to call? Really? I've gotta say, that's the most impressive batshit crazy comment I've read in a long time and I'm living in a Trump presidency.
    edited September 2017 oneof52kingofsomewherehotcecil444
  • Reply 23 of 57
    My question is can I ditch my phone plan get the series 3 with cellular and pay just ten dollars a month for a plan. Or does it need to be tethered with an actual phone plan?  I want to use the watch for calls and the phone only on wifi and only pay ten bucks a month
    oneof52palko79
  • Reply 24 of 57
    rob53 said:
    Time for Apple to do a real "one more thing" and announce they're now a cellular provider. 
    Not going to happen 
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Neil....I have not seen an answer to this, hopefully you could shed some light.
    The Series 2 was able to locally store up to 2GB of Music....what will the Series 3 be able to store...all I keep reading is "access to Apple's entire music catalog"....a) that assumes the person has Apple Music and b) that assumes they buy the LTE version....
    so if you have Apple Music, and purchase the LTE version, I have to stream music on my watch everyday during my 2 hours gym workouts....my data will be through the roof....(assuming for this example there is no wifi available)
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 26 of 57
    My question is can I ditch my phone plan get the series 3 with cellular and pay just ten dollars a month for a plan. Or does it need to be tethered with an actual phone plan?  I want to use the watch for calls and the phone only on wifi and only pay ten bucks a month
    You’re insane 
    cecil444palko79
  • Reply 27 of 57
    You’re insane 
    Hahaha....

edited September 2017 palko79
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Does anyone know the music storage capability...series 2 was 2 GB.....have not seen the answer anywhere
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Getting the new watch with LTE, so I guess my AT&T bill is going up due to greed.

Americans already pay among the highest prices for some of the poorest broadband.
    It's overpriced in my opinion as well, and may well be greedy but your bill isn't going up because of them. This is a voluntary transaction you are consciously making on your own. Unless these carriers or Apple are actively forcing you to buy this, then this is just capitalism. Hopefully Sprint provides some competition to other three with a lower price. 
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Getting the new watch with LTE, so I guess my AT&T bill is going up due to greed.

Americans already pay among the highest prices for some of the poorest broadband.
    It's overpriced in my opinion as well, and may well be greedy but your bill isn't going up because of them. This is a voluntary transaction you are consciously making on your own. Unless these carriers or Apple are actively forcing you to buy this, then this is just capitalism. Hopefully Sprint provides some competition to other three with a lower price. 
    How would one define greedy? It's more than I wanted to pay for an iPhone or it's even expensive for an iPhone?

People said the iPad Pros were pricey and yet Apple raised the price by $50 today, which sounds like they were taking a hit on profit margin to try to appeal to a great market or raising it up just to be greedy. If the rumours of only 10k units per day is true, which very well could be the case with several aspects of this new technology, then it's easier to argue that $999 is to low starting price if you're trying to find the equilibrium price for a given moment. 
  • Reply 31 of 57
    rob53 said:
    Time for Apple to do a real "one more thing" and announce they're now a cellular provider. 
    Man oh man...I'd love that. I've been thinking that since my first iPhone and I was paying $110/mo to ATT!

Just buy Ting and then charge $19.99/mo for what 80% of the usage that most people use.

Exclusive to iPhone. Think of the impact to Verizon, ATT, Samsung. :)
  • Reply 32 of 57
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    While it doesn't have its own number, it does have a separate connection, hence it is by definition in most part of the world, a separate line, and will be charged as such.

The only thing I am thinking of, why are there such limited number of carriers? This shouldn't be hard to add for any LTE based Network.
    Could it be Apple will have some form of rebate from those monthly connection? Like when iPhone were introduced?

Because the LTE Apple Watch is WAY too cheap by Apple's standard, and the current Apple is way too obsess with recurring revenue and services.

• Reply 33 of 57
    Soli said:
    $10/month for how little data the watch will stream is a crime. Won't do it. I'll jump to T-Mobile in a second if it is free.
    What reality did you people come from? The typical cost is $10 for adding a line. This is adding a fucking line!

It's not adding a line. It's a same line with same phone number. I would be ok with $5 charge
    spacekid
  • Reply 34 of 57
    palko79 said:
    Soli said:
    $10/month for how little data the watch will stream is a crime. Won't do it. I'll jump to T-Mobile in a second if it is free.
    What reality did you people come from? The typical cost is $10 for adding a line. This is adding a fucking line!

It's not adding a line. It's a same line with same phone number. I would be ok with $5 charge
    It's an entirely new device on your account and it's another node on their network. Don't be stupid.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    $10/month for data on a freaking watch is insane! I'm not streaming flippin' movies all day from my wrist. Why not a more reasonable $5/month?? Still think that is even high for this, but better than a darn Netflix subscription for my wrist. Geez...
  • Reply 36 of 57
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    So, let's look at purchasing an iPhone X, AirPods, Apple Series 3 with LTE, protect all of those with AppleCare, and add an Apple Music subscription, and an iCloud subscription, for your photos and videos, tv and films,  plus your carrier service, and the Apple Watch add on. Why not throw in Netflix as well

How much are we looking at a month, assuming that the iPhone X is on a payment plan, and what would be the initial outlay?

I'd guess, about $700 initial outlay and $120 a month. 

I'm guessing that their are people who do this, albeit not all at once. Is it worth $4 a day to be so well connected?

I'm thinking that the answer is yes, but not if they actually think about it that way.

It wouldn't be very difficult for any of the Carriers to create a bundle like that at a small discount to the customer, with less cash up front, as a way to drive customer "churn",
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 37 of 57
    this is interesting, I wouldn't mind having the data connection on my watch and have for example an ipod touch or ipad tethered to the watch connection. gotta investigate this :astonished: 
  • Reply 38 of 57
    You’re insane 
    You misspelled visionary 
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Does the watch have to be on the same cellular service as the phone it syncs with? My phone is a work phone with Verizon. But I have an AT&T account for my wife's phone.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Anything above $5/month is pushing it. Perhaps someone in the media will challenge them as to why it costs $10/month for the little data rates.The only reason I can think of is to see how demand is with the main problem being a huge number of connected devices overwhelming their LTE interfaces.