Apple is de-bloating iTunes with latest 12.7 release, removes App Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    Do these changes also apply to the windows version ?
    mike1
  • Reply 42 of 95
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Bring true and full resume playback to iTunes application for Mac, as it was available in SoundJam MP from where iTunes was developed 15 years ago!
  • Reply 43 of 95
    macseeker said:
    Well, I decided to keep iTunes version 12.6.2 on my Sierra HD.  In a few weeks, I'll clone the HD and upgrade that one to High Sierra with iTunes version 12.7.  Then when I need to manage my iOS devices, I'll use the Sierra HD iTunes.  Just in case, I downloaded the iTunes 12.6.2 installer.
    Quality handwringing.
    space2001john.bStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 95
    appex said:
    Bring true and full resume playback to iTunes application for Mac, as it was available in SoundJam MP from where iTunes was developed 15 years ago!
    You're getting to Sog-level trolling at this point. 
    williamlondonmike1MetriacanthosaurusStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 95
    12.7 appears to have been pulled from the App Store (at least temporarily). 
  • Reply 46 of 95
    wizard69 said:
    I never liked the everything  and the kitchen sink approach of iTunes...
    I always felt it was more a "boil the frog" sort of bloat, where it was fine (or at least not so annoying) at first and for a long time. Then all of a sudden you realised how big the thing had got and how many separate functions it had rolled in, but by then the frog had been well boiled, and it's been that way for some time now.

This is a good move, can't wait to see more trimming and streamlining, it's well past time.
    john.b
  • Reply 47 of 95
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    I really want a dedicated Apple Podcasts app on macOS. De-bloat her.

Love how they begin to remove bloat and the first two comments are complaints. Ha.
    Why a separate app for podcasts? Seems like adding more apps to macOS which kind of has the opposite effect to debloating everything. You're just moving the problem from one place to another.
    That’s totally untrue. Separating Podcasts to its own app would be ideal for me as I never intersperse music listening with Podcast listening. The way the killed iPhoto and started fresh with Photos; now Photos is a much nicer app. I was a clean, lean, new app solely for Apple Podcasts. A ground up Podcasts app for Mac and the modern age. iTunes need only be a music and video store and jukebox.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 48 of 95
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

dewme said:
    This is a HUGE change with no prior warning. This basically neuters iTunes as a device management tool and basically turns it into a music player. At this point Apple should really just beef up the MiniPlayer to be the only UI and be done with the big UI version altogether. I guess I'm okay with it but this is a blindsided and unexpected move that's going to catch a lot of people off guard, especially current Sierra (not High Sierra) users. 
    How so? You can still manage your device via iTunes, you just don't shop for iOS apps on it. They've been deprecating the storing of iOS apps on the Mac for a while now, so there was most definitely some warning there. 
    Agreed. App management through iTunes was a bit annoying. When I connected my phone or iPad to update music, it would try to load or reload every app we ever downloaded. My wife uses apps that I don't and vice versa.
  • Reply 49 of 95
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Do these changes also apply to the windows version ?
    Yes
  • Reply 50 of 95
    ...could this also be an attempt to force all iOS devices online and directly connect to the 'mothership'...???

Will Apple now know what is actually on every iOS device, and encourage iCloud vs local storage?
    Will multiple iOS users (companies, families) need more time to update and use more bandwidth when doing so?
    Does this affect admin and server efficiency and user consistency?

• Reply 51 of 95
    macseeker said:
    Does anybody have the link for the prior iTunes version download? Thank you.
    Here you go. iTunes Mac Version 12.6.2 http://filehippo.com/mac/download_itunes_for_mac/76927/ iTunes Windows 64 Bit 12.6.2 http://filehippo.com/download_itunes/64/76923/ iTunes Windows 32 Bit 12.6.2 http://filehippo.com/download_itunes/32/76923/
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 52 of 95
    macseeker said:
    link to 12.6.2 - not sure if you can install on top of newer version though... I'm doing a timemachine restore instead. https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1934?locale=en_US
  • Reply 53 of 95

macseeker said:
    https://support.apple.com/en_US/downloads/itunes
    The link mentioned is to current version, not previous - even the Apple page that lists previous versions brings to the current version, unless you want to go to iTunes from a year ago. try this one - it's working as of this morning https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1934?locale=en_US
  • Reply 54 of 95
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    appex said:
    Bring back wha…? You know what, never mind. 
    williamlondonStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 55 of 95
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

...could this also be an attempt to force all iOS devices online and directly connect to the 'mothership'...???

Will Apple now know what is actually on every iOS device, and encourage iCloud vs local storage?
    Will multiple iOS users (companies, families) need more time to update and use more bandwidth when doing so?

To find out, tune in next week! Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!

Point 1: Apple already knows what's on your device. Not sure where you get the idea they don't. 
    Point 2: No. Use WiFi
    Point 3: No. Use WiFi 

StrangeDays
  • Reply 56 of 95
    space2001 said:

macseeker said:
    https://support.apple.com/en_US/downloads/itunes
    The link mentioned is to current version, not previous - even the Apple page that lists previous versions brings to the current version, unless you want to go to iTunes from a year ago. try this one - it's working as of this morning https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1934?locale=en_US
    Just tried the links and they are still coming up with version 12.6.2
  • Reply 57 of 95
    gadgetdon said:
    So, no more creating your own ringtone and uploading it to your phone? There are still apps where you use iTunes to push documents to it, those are now toast. Not a fan.
    Scared me there for a minute. I am always pushing document to apps on my iPad (GoodReader, Notability, etc.), so this would have ticked me off. I looked at the new interface and if you click on your device, there's a new setting called "File Sharing." All of your apps that allow for file sharing show up, just like they used to. It just doesn't have that list of all of the apps you have on your device to install, uninstall etc.
    john.bfastasleep
  • Reply 58 of 95
    Rayz2016 said:
    Bring back wha…? You know what, never mind. 
    He might mean the ability to resume your playback from application shutdown. Currently you have to look in Notification Center at what song was playing last and then go find it manually in your library.
  • Reply 59 of 95
    For me this de-bloating is welcome as I only have a Classic iPod. But after today's upgrade I cannot change the height of the columns "genre/artists/albuns" in the Columns Browser. I tried positioning the mouse all over the area and it does not allow to change the height. Is this happening only to me?

• Reply 60 of 95
    Rayz2016 said:

To find out, tune in next week! Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!

Point 1: Apple already knows what's on your device. Not sure where you get the idea they don't. 
    Point 2: No. Use WiFi
    Point 3: No. Use WiFi 

Hi Rayz...

I'm guessing there are a number of assumptions made for this thread...

Routinely if using Mac server, app downloads updates once to the cache and local updates can load over the network to multiple iOS devices - with basic dsl even a point update can take 20~30m to download, so with a family of 4 could that quadruple or octuple the download/bandwidth time & data used if iPhones and iPads are limited to WiFi/4G direct ?  

Would Apple know what is on each device if they are not signed in to the Apple Store/iCloud and only connected/updated on a LAN behind a firewall, and the apps have been managed on a Mac server desktop...?

Just asking...