Apple unveils 4.7-inch iPhone 8 & 5.5-inch iPhone 8 Plus, shipping Sept. 22 starting at $6...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36

supadav03 said:
    Even after it's official announcement, no idea why anyone would want the iPhone 8/8 Plus as opposed to the iPhone X. I heard people saying price would be the main reason but with the new price Apple is charging for the 6s and 7 series phones I would never pay full price for the 8. Upgrades don't seem worth it. Definitely getting the 256GB iPhone X as soon as possible. 
    Even the single chip upgrade is worth it. With the A11 Bionic, the 8/8 Plus offers all the features the X offers, except those related to Face ID, depth sensors and the lack of zoom lens on iPhone 8. Apple GPU -> Metal 2, Machine Learning -> faster and better Siri and smart device management, more cores -> blazingly fast and power efficient, Hardware Encoder -> 4K @ 60 fps, HEVC... Add to these wireless charging, optical image stabilization, increased basic storage... If these don't impress you, you shouldn't buy an X either.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 22 of 36
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    If it was an upgrade year for me I'd be hard pressed to choose between the 8 Plus and the X. Although yet to see the X in person, obviously, the Plus form factor is really perfect for me so it would be hard to leave behind, and I'm really happy with TouchID. The 256gb 8+ is also cheaper than my 128gb 6S+ was on release. I'm actually really excited how next year's lineup will look and how the (few) extra features on the X will filter across the line.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 36
    tailstoo said:
    Hm.  So now your options for a plus model are:

$799 for a 64gb version or 
    $949 for a 256gb version.

The 128GB from last year was a perfect size.  If they wanted to reduce the  number of skus in the supply chain, they did so by only having three colors. 

And I guess the Jet Black was just a one year thing?  Sure seems like a lot of R&D gone to waste. 

Seems like a pretty weak lineup.  
    I actually save money if I go for iPhone 8+. I stored a lot of shits in my 7+ and it filled only 57GB and I still have 66+GB available. I bought it at $879 and now I could got for 64GB iPhone 8+ for $799...Well, I'm not doing that because I'll go for the precious iPhone X.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 36
    For me, I'm more interested in knowing if the iPhone 8 will be the last of the Home Button iPhones. Apple skipped the 7s nomenclature. To me, it would appear that they wanted to get closer to X. Does this indicate that there won't be an iPhone 8s or even 9?

facial recognition is problematic to me. If a thief or the authorities get their hands on both you and your phone, they'll get access to the iPhone without hacking it. They'll simply force you to look at the iPhone!

so I'd prefer to stick with the home button for the time being... and possibly switch to a passcode if I don't trust the company I'm keeping. 
    icoco3watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 36
    The iPhone X is definitely a great looking device with amazing capabilities.  The only thing that gives me pause is Face ID.  Sometimes I wonder if Apple gets so caught up in being cool, they forget to ask how people actually use these things.  Like grabbing the phone off the nightstand in the dark to check a text.  With Touch ID, I reach over, grab the phone with my thumb on the sensor and give it a quick glance.  With the X, you'd have to stare into the thing and hope the IR camera can adequately scan your face in the dark.  Or, how 'bout the quick glance in the car.  I don't want to have to pick up the phone and hold it in front of my face.  And no, I'm not an advocate of viewing a phone while driving, but let's face it, there are times many of us want to give a quick look while minimizing the time our eyes are off the road.  Just seems like a feature that has more negatives than positives...
    They specificially said you don’t have to do that, and that it works in the dark. Yet...you suggest it won’t work in the dark and that you’ll have to hold it in front of your face. wtf. 
    Actually, the exact word they used was 'engage.'  You have to 'engage' it by looking at it.  In fact, if you watched the presentation, when Craig Federighi first picked it up, he didn't 'engage' it and it didn't work.  Rather embarrassing at a demo, I thought.
    That’s actually not what happened with Craig. The phone hadnt had the passcode entered since it had been powered on. It clearly said enter passcode to enable face ID. Works the exact same with Touch ID. If nothing else it shows the demos are legit. 
    cornchipwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 26 of 36

supadav03 said:
    Even after it's official announcement, no idea why anyone would want the iPhone 8/8 Plus as opposed to the iPhone X. I heard people saying price would be the main reason but with the new price Apple is charging for the 6s and 7 series phones I would never pay full price for the 8. Upgrades don't seem worth it. Definitely getting the 256GB iPhone X as soon as possible. 
    Even the single chip upgrade is worth it. With the A11 Bionic, the 8/8 Plus offers all the features the X offers, except those related to Face ID, depth sensors and the lack of zoom lens on iPhone 8. Apple GPU -> Metal 2, Machine Learning -> faster and better Siri and smart device management, more cores -> blazingly fast and power efficient, Hardware Encoder -> 4K @ 60 fps, HEVC... Add to these wireless charging, optical image stabilization, increased basic storage... If these don't impress you, you shouldn't buy an X either.
    Not when the superior option is $200 more over 2 years.  If that little of a cost was a deterrent to me then I'd likely be the type of person who'd just hold onto his 7. iPhone 8 is a mystery to me. 
  • Reply 27 of 36
    supadav03 said:

supadav03 said:
    Not when the superior option is $200 more over 2 years.  If that little of a cost was a deterrent to me then I'd likely be the type of person who'd just hold onto his 7. iPhone 8 is a mystery to me. 
    $200 more but $200 more than 8+ and the X is not 8+ plus some other features. You don't get the same 16:9 display of 8+. You wouldn't hold onto your 7 either, because the 8 is a platform jump compared to 7, just like the 5s which is a platform jump to 64 bit. The 8 is not an incremental update over the 7, it is a significant update. Your call...
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 36

supadav03 said:
    Your not wrong. But none of the technology compensates for a form factor that was outdated last year. I'm just your average user and aside from wireless charging none of the tech impresses me. But I would have loved a Galaxy S8 type screen on this.

What's annoying is Apple of course know this is exactly what people want. So they put the screen on a $1000 phone to squeeze extra money out of us.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 29 of 36
    kkqd1337 said:

supadav03 said:
    Your not wrong. But none of the technology compensates for a form factor that was outdated last year. I'm just your average user and aside from wireless charging none of the tech impresses me. But I would have loved a Galaxy S8 type screen on this.

What's annoying is Apple of course know this is exactly what people want. So they put the screen on a $1000 phone to squeeze extra money out of us.
    That form factor you say outdated has sold hundreds of millions and that is what made the iPhone what is it. Hundreds of millions people are happy with that form factor, the bezels, LCD display, clickable Home button and TouchID.
    edited September 2017 icoco3watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 30 of 36
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I was very impressed... I have the Apple Watch charging pad and love it. Just to lay the watch down at night rather than fiddling with a connector is pretty cool. it will be great with the iPhone, AirPods and AppleWatch!

To up the security from 1 in 50,000 w/ TouchID to 1 in 1,000,000 is incredible. 2 more hours of battery life. I like the ease of opening. Good spot to open Control center and nice how you can "throw" the app back into it's icon. 

This is what Apple does evolutionary improvements. I would say this is a serious upgrade. 
    I thought the TouchId was more like 1 in 7 Billion since fingerPrints are unique.   I guess apple was misleading us all this time.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    tadd said:
    I am a tadd disappointed that the smaller 8 still doesn't have the super camera from the iPhone 7-plus.    I am not a fan of the larger size device.  
    Apple views the 4.7" as budget iPhone within the series and will never be as advance as the + and X models!  That is why all those who world in technology go for the advance models.
  • Reply 32 of 36

asdasd said:
    Why are people talking about the X here? 

The 8 is for me for sure. 
    asdasd said:
    Why are people talking about the X here? 

The 8 is for me for sure. 
    Froebel a few hundred more, you get OLED 2K resolution 5.8" screen instead of the 4.7" 720 LED or 5.5" 1080 LED.
    supadav03
  • Reply 33 of 36
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    tadd said:
    I am a tadd disappointed that the smaller 8 still doesn't have the super camera from the iPhone 7-plus.    I am not a fan of the larger size device.  
    It has the optical image stabilization of iPhone 7 Plus. I think this is a more important enhancement than the second lens.
    schlack said:
    Glad I got my iPhone 7 128GB last October (for an iPhone 6 trade in + $150) and didn't wait for the iPhone 8/X...would have been disappointed to pay $800+ for one of these phones.
    Did they raise the starting Price of the phone8 over the price of the 7?   Weren't they going to switch to intel modems. Seems like they could have lowered the price,

i would like to know if they switched to intel modems and in which models.  And actually see how the performance compares.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    kkqd1337 said:

supadav03 said:

That form factor you say outdated has sold hundreds of millions and that is what made the iPhone what is it. Hundreds of millions people are happy with that form factor, the bezels, LCD display, clickable Home button and TouchID.
    You are very correct...this is a huge update for us as well.  My wife has a 5 and mine is a 5s. MASSIVE update this year. ;)

Think we are going with an 8 for her and 8+ for me.  I want to see this whole face unlocking thing in action a bit before making that choice.  Next upgrade in a few years it will be perfected.

P.S.  my form factor is an Otterbox so no big change really....
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 36
    k2kw said:
    tadd said:
    It has the optical image stabilization of iPhone 7 Plus. I think this is a more important enhancement than the second lens.
    schlack said:
    Glad I got my iPhone 7 128GB last October (for an iPhone 6 trade in + $150) and didn't wait for the iPhone 8/X...would have been disappointed to pay $800+ for one of these phones.
    Did they raise the starting Price of the phone8 over the price of the 7?   Weren't they going to switch to intel modems. Seems like they could have lowered the price,
    I would gladly pay that price increase to Apple instead of paying $130 or so to Samsung for OLED panel.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 36
    is the 8 really necessary?  and why don't they just call it 7s?  I mean, it's a nice stop gap till the X is out in 6 weeks' time but it's not that much cheaper than the X anyway.  If they want the average price per unit to go up, why have the 8 cannibalise X sales?

is the wireless charging such a big feature for people? enough to replace your 7 with an 8?
    edited September 2017