First look: Hands-on with Apple's iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 41 of 436
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Think about this:

You're asleep on the sofa, and your kids decide they want to buy ten add-ons for some game. 

Which is more likely to wake you?

Placing your finger on the TouchID button, or trying to pry your eye open to trigger FaceID?
    mike1palomineStrangeDayspatchythepirateentropysradarthekatiqatedonetmagewatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 42 of 436
    dunestock said:
    Without a home button, how do you take a screenshot?
    The screen shot button is in the control centre. 
  • Reply 43 of 436
    "The iPhone 6, 6s and 7 generations each sold around 170 million units in their first year."

Apple say they can only produce 10,000 iPhone X's a day so at that rate to make 170 million would take them a bit over 46 years! 
    I don't think Apple have said they can only produce 10,000 iPhone X's per day. 
  • Reply 44 of 436
    Seems that this "Steve wouldn't have done/liked this" crap is still a popular hissyfit round here. 

If you don't like what Apple is doing then fine; but don't try and make your argument with that tired old meme. You didn't know the guy, so it's just embarrassing. 

edited September 2017 mike1StrangeDaysdoozydozenstompypscooter63fastasleepnetmagewatto_cobraargonautredgeminipa
  • Reply 45 of 436
    bitmod said:

- Why would you need to unlock the phone to put it to your ear? Accepting a call never requires authentication. 

- What loss of privacy are you talking about? Specifically? Lost to whom?
    To make a call... you need to unlock the phone. To glance at info/notifications... from what I saw on the keynote, FR is somewhat cumbersome. If you need that level of security, then I guess you need it.

As far as privacy - don't be naive. Government and law enforcement have access to all data gathered. We learned this from Snowden - all the while Apple selling the same lie that it's protected - having to later admit it does store and hand over this info. Then we learned it again that the 'can never be decrypted' was decrypted in a day by some 'third party' to help crack that terrorist's cell phone. 

I don't think people want to give their biometric facial information to a company notorious for lying about its 'anonymous' and 'secure' data collection that is neither. 
    I've only spoken to 3 people about it today - but none of them are warm to the idea.
    Doesn't mean it won't sell like hotcakes - but I doubt the majority will use the FR. I don't know anyone who uses the touch security on their phones. They are either passcode or none - for the same privacy reasons - and that's gotta be well over 20 people. 

Time will tell thou. Facebook had a lot of blowback over their FR. 
    If Apple Pay gets more traction - maybe it will take off. But it hasn't exactly taken off has it. 
    Right... Snowden, seems what he actually "revealed" (sic) has taken a life of its own much bigger than actual facts huh.

BTW, you're a liar, just like your criminal hero. Guess you suck wikileaks tit too huh.

Prove your load of shit about Apple or go away; that's how it is.

And I don't believe one second you talked to no one, you are again straight up lying.

tmaymike1patchythepiratedoozydozenpscooter63netmagewatto_cobraargonautbrucemcredgeminipa
  • Reply 46 of 436
    kevin kee said:
    tshapi said:
    There are two ways to look at it, Face id takes off and next year Apple ditches Touch ID in the standard iPhone. Or face id flops and Apple has an extra year to figure out how to built the Touch ID into the next generation iPhone X 
    Apple has invested in FaceID RnD for at least 5 years. It's in their road map since beginning, not because of TouchID or any other reasons. This new tech is just mind blowing if you compare to any competitors. The cost of implementing facial recognition is still the most expensive solutions, that's why it was only available in airports. Well not anymore. Now you can have a phone that wake up when you touch it, unlock when you look at it and is still the most secured phone.
    Yes, I watched the keynote thinking, "And THIS is easier than putting TouchID under the screen?"

No, this is not a sudden change of mind. They either knew that they couldn't make the under-the-screen thing work six years ago, or they were never going in that direction. 

tmaycanukstormargonaut
  • Reply 47 of 436
    bitmod said:

- Why would you need to unlock the phone to put it to your ear? Accepting a call never requires authentication. 

- What loss of privacy are you talking about? Specifically? Lost to whom?
    To make a call... you need to unlock the phone. To glance at info/notifications... from what I saw on the keynote, FR is somewhat cumbersome. If you need that level of security, then I guess you need it.

As far as privacy - don't be naive. Government and law enforcement have access to all data gathered. We learned this from Snowden - all the while Apple selling the same lie that it's protected - having to later admit it does store and hand over this info. Then we learned it again that the 'can never be decrypted' was decrypted in a day by some 'third party' to help crack that terrorist's cell phone. 

I don't think people want to give their biometric facial information to a company notorious for lying about its 'anonymous' and 'secure' data collection that is neither. 
    I've only spoken to 3 people about it today - but none of them are warm to the idea.
    Doesn't mean it won't sell like hotcakes - but I doubt the majority will use the FR. I don't know anyone who uses the touch security on their phones. They are either passcode or none - for the same privacy reasons - and that's gotta be well over 20 people. 

Time will tell thou. Facebook had a lot of blowback over their FR. 
    If Apple Pay gets more traction - maybe it will take off. But it hasn't exactly taken off has it. 
    Wow. Three people. There's a datapoint worth considering…

When you make assertions, it often helps to provide evidence. Otherwise you're just spewing your paranoia all over the net. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/18/technology/apple-timothy-cook-fbi-san-bernardino.html

See how easy that was?

And again:

https://www.recode.net/2016/2/17/11587902/apples-cook-slams-court-order-to-build-a-backdoor-to-the-iphone

See?

And Apple has always been a transparent about what they are obliged to hand over by law. Or are you suggesting that Apple should break the law?

https://www.apple.com/uk/privacy/government-information-requests/

Incidentally, the terrorist's phone was not decrypted. That would involve getting access to an encryption key. The phone was cracked due to a bug in ios9 running on a 5c. The crack wouldn't have worked on a later model phone and/or a later OS, which is why Apple didn't sue the FBI to find out how they did it (which would have been within their rights). 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/web/hackers-unlock-iphone-not-cellebrite/

As for Apple Pay getting traction, that depends on where you are. It's all over the Uk because we've had NFC terminals for years. We can use the phone/watch in every major shop and on both buses and trains. There underground will let you through the barrier with a tap of your phone, but you need to make sure that you have enough juice left to get out at the other end. 

P.S.

Love how you've given yourself a user name to make it look as though you know what you're talking about. 

edited September 2017 tmaytaddmike1palomineStrangeDayspatchythepiratedoozydozenhaarbb-15stompy
  • Reply 48 of 436
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    An iPhone X with a silver back would've been awesome.

>:x
  • Reply 49 of 436
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I am not a fan of the rounded viewable screen area.

It'd be great if iPhone 9 would enlarge its screen estate by getting rid of the home button and extend its viewable screen area up to where each of the rounded corners starts. That would increase the screen size and keep the viewable screen a rectangle with sharp corners.

In short: Here's hoping iPhone 8 and iPhone X meet somewhere in the middle, iPhone 9.

EDIT: adds "In short"
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 50 of 436
    mr o said:

It'd be great if iPhone 9 would enlarge its screen estate by getting rid of the home button and extend its viewable screen area up to where each of the rounded corners starts. That would increase the screen size and keep the viewable screen a rectangle with sharp corners.

In short: Here's hoping iPhone 8 and iPhone X meet somewhere in the middle, iPhone 9.

An interesting complaint. 
  • Reply 51 of 436
    I'm just not sure about accessing control centre from the top of the screen, I love being able to pick my phone out of my pocket, swipe up to get control centre, such as calculator but now it's almost two handed job, I get a sense it could make it clumbsy and more chance to drop the phone especially if trying to do it with one hand.

i remain reserved until I've played It in person but welcome others thoughts on this.
    patchythepiratedoozydozennetmage
  • Reply 52 of 436
    mr o said:

Mmm...

The human eyes do not view the world as a rectangle with sharp corners.  

However, a dot release update to iOS 11 Control Center could easily provide an option to do that and/or change the notch to a 
    black bar,

patchythepirate
  • Reply 53 of 436
    The iPhone X seems to be what Apple should/could be doing with the MacPro: Extremely cutting edge technology, premium price, a pathfinder for manufacturing processes, etc. Apple will learn from the X and use it to pull high-end features to the more average devices. Very few people "need" what the X offers, but it will be a status symbol and people enjoy having the latest bauble.

Maybe the PC/workstation market doesn't have room for such a product. The "trash can" MacPro was touted as having some serious innovation, but I don't think it was very successful. Perhaps the things that are valuable in a handheld device are different than those in a PC. Expansion, upgrades, & repair are very valuable in a workstation/server.

It's nice to see Apple has a fancy new phone, but I still remember/think of them as a computer maker. I'd like to see a new Mac with as much hoopla & innovation.
    doozydozennetmageargonaut
  • Reply 54 of 436

For those bemoaning the "High Price" of the iPhone X...

A loaded iPhone 8 Plus costs $45.75 per month under the IUP.  A loaded iPhone X costs $56.16 -- $10.41 per month more for the very best!

Hell, I spill more than that a month!

In our household of 4 (2 adults, 2 teenagers) we are all under the iUP with iPhone 7 costing the $45.75 for 128GB.

I suspect that we will all opt for the iPhone X at 256GB -- as they become available.

StrangeDayspatchythepiratedoozydozenargonautredgeminipa
  • Reply 55 of 436

I miss the days when AI allowed posters on these forums to use sigs...

Here's my current fav:

It is surprisingly happy work building a coffin — I do not know why …  I guess: ‘cause if you’re building it — you’re not the customer.  

-Roy Underhill, Woodwright- 

palominepatchythepiratedoozydozenpscooter63fastasleepfotoformat
  • Reply 56 of 436
    "The iPhone 6, 6s and 7 generations each sold around 170 million units in their first year."

Apple say they can only produce 10,000 iPhone X's a day so at that rate to make 170 million would take them a bit over 46 years! 
     din't say that. Even if true, that's just the beginning of production. They'll produce higher numbers everyday until peak production. 
    mike1
  • Reply 57 of 436
    jasenj1 said:
    The iPhone X seems to be what Apple should/could be doing with the MacPro: Extremely cutting edge technology, premium price, a pathfinder for manufacturing processes, etc. Apple will learn from the X and use it to pull high-end features to the more average devices. Very few people "need" what the X offers, but it will be a status symbol and people enjoy having the latest bauble.

Maybe the PC/workstation market doesn't have room for such a product. The "trash can" MacPro was touted as having some serious innovation, but I don't think it was very successful. Perhaps the things that are valuable in a handheld device are different than those in a PC. Expansion, upgrades, & repair are very valuable in a workstation/server.

It's nice to see Apple has a fancy new phone, but I still remember/think of them as a computer maker. I'd like to see a new Mac with as much hoopla & innovation.

Whatever Apple does with the next Mac Pro, expandability is a must. The trash can Mac Pro was a step backwards compared to the Mac Pro towers. Of course with Apple embracing eGPUs, that does give a closed system more potential but I'm still a fan of standard drive bays, expansion slots, etc....

I'd like to see a beautiful new gen Mac Pro tower that just oozes Apple from top to bottom. The expandsbility of my Dual G5 and Mac Pro 4,1 (Now 5,1) was and is a thing of beauty but the 7 year old CPU in it is getting rather long in the tooth. 
  • Reply 58 of 436
    Am I the only one that's disappointed with the memory configurations on both the iPhone 8 and X?  64GB and 256GB?  What happened to 128GB?  Last year was the first year I opted for a 128GB iPhone.  Seemed like a perfect price point between plenty of storage without being too expensive.  Dropping 128 this year is quite disappointing.  No way I can go backwards to 64, so if I want to upgrade I have to opt for the most expensive model.  I really think the phones should have been 128 (for the price of 64) and 256. I guess this is the way they get all those millions of phones they sold in the last couple of years at 128 to opt for the most expensive models.  bummer.
    edited September 2017 bloggerblogfastasleepwilliamlondonnetmage
  • Reply 59 of 436
    sog35 said:
    The iPhone X is the most amazing single piece of hardware EVER. EVER.
    It doesn't have a memory card slot. Maybe not important to you, but important to many.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 60 of 436
    rattlhed said:
    Am I the only one that's disappointed with the memory configurations on both the iPhone 8 and X?  64GB and 256GB?  What happened to 128GB?  Last year was the first year I opted for a 128GB iPhone.  Seemed like a perfect price point between plenty of storage without being too expensive.  Dropping 128 this year is quite disappointing.  No way I can go backwards to 64, so if I want to upgrade I have to opt for the most expensive model.  I really think the phones should have been 128 (for the price of 64) and 256. I guess this is the way they get all those millions of phones they sold in the last couple of years at 128 to opt for the most expensive models.  bummer.
    Apple never offers the sweet spot right away. It’s all about the upsell. 
    doozydozensphericbrucemc