First look: Hands-on with Apple's iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 61 of 436
    sog35 said:
    rattlhed said:
    Am I the only one that's disappointed with the memory configurations on both the iPhone 8 and X?  64GB and 256GB?  What happened to 128GB?  Last year was the first year I opted for a 128GB iPhone.  Seemed like a perfect price point between plenty of storage without being too expensive.  Dropping 128 this year is quite disappointing.  No way I can go backwards to 64, so if I want to upgrade I have to opt for the most expensive model.  I really think the phones should have been 128 (for the price of 64) and 256. I guess this is the way they get all those millions of phones they sold in the last couple of years at 128 to opt for the most expensive models.  bummer.
    paying $50 more for 128 additional GB is a great deal.

If a 128GB phone was available it would have been $1099.   With more 4k video and larger photo's you will be happy you bought the 256GB phone.
    Which is why Apple does it. Phil Schiller’s middle name is upsell.
    doozydozenbrucemc
  • Reply 62 of 436
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    melgross said:
    entropys said:
    Notch when playing video: really? I mean really? Steve Jobs (PBOH) would never have allowed it. You know this is true.
    Aaaand...who cares?
    I care.  No doubt others do too. I also watched the keynote and when a game was playing part of the game controller was truncated by the notch. But since I already have an iPhone 7 and I'm satisfied with it, I will hold out for the XI (aka "Spiritually Approved by Steve") model which loses the notch.  
    doozydozenentropys
  • Reply 63 of 436
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    CNN came out with an attack video on the apparent failed face recognition attempt during special event keynote. http://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/2017/09/13/apple-iphone-face-recognition-fail-me-sot.hln

It bothers me when non-technical people berate a product with little understanding of what's really going on. If you look at a closeup of the iPhone X screen, it gives the typical passcode requirement used when starting from a fresh startup or when the phone hasn't been used for 8 hours. The message doesn't say failed attempt, try again, it simply says the passcode is required to ENABLE Face ID. I have to presume this was a phone Craig Federighi would have had to have Face ID already programmed into it for it to work. The phone was waiting for him but might not have been turned on since the day before.

I didn't see this as a failure of Face ID, I simply saw it as something that the iPhone is supposed to do. If it didn't recognize his face, then it doesn't unlock the phone. If it hasn't been unlocked for 8 hours (or whatever a new timeout is), then it doesn't unlock the phone. Isn't it better to fail to unlock then to unlock with the wrong face? Sometimes people just don't get it and rush out to criticize Apple because they feel they can.

Rayz2016palomineStrangeDayspatchythepiratebb-15radarthekatalandailnetmagefotoformatargonaut
  • Reply 64 of 436
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

jasenj1 said:
    sog35 said:
    The iPhone X is the most amazing single piece of hardware EVER. EVER.
    It doesn't have a memory card slot. Maybe not important to you, but important to many.
    What do you use a memory card for? Side loading apps? You don't really need it for holding extra photos because those can be automatically pushed to your iCloud account or to other Apple devices using the same AppleID. 
    mike1StrangeDaysbb-15fastasleep
  • Reply 65 of 436
    schlack said:
    Interesting to see that Apple now has a phone lineup that spans from $350 to $1150, wow. That $1150 price point feels just absurd. Will be interesting to see how this sells. I guess I'll be holding on to my (perfectly awesome) iPhone 7 for at least another year or two.
    Well, Tim Cook did say the iPhone X is what Apple envisions for the next ten years.  So I assume, at some time, prices will come down to more mainstream levels once production ramps up to Apple's scale, probably two to three years.
  • Reply 66 of 436
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    melgross said:
    REALLY? REALLY? People were CLAPPING when Schiller told them that you now can't access your MONEY or any of your personal info without FACIAL RECOGNITION?

Are you still going to be clapping when the government takes away YOUR ABILITY TO ACCESS YOUR OWN MONEY because it considers you a "terrorist threat" or says you have an "illegal" political view?

Steve Jobs would NEVER have condoned this BIG BROTHER crap, you know it. This is the creepiest thing since the fingerprint BS in the iPhone 5, 6 and 7. Apple is changing for sure, and not in a good way.

I don't want to have to wear a watch that reports how healthy I am and how much money I have to "the cloud." You might as well ask how much SLAVE LIFE a person has left in them.
    You really live up to your screen name don’t you?

what are you talking about? Do you even know? Apple is going for more security, not less. You know that you don’t have to use any biometric security if you don’t want to. You can stick to the password.
    It's really easier to just ignore these idiots.
    doozydozenfastasleepnetmage
  • Reply 67 of 436
    sog35 said:
    jdw said:
    melgross said:
    entropys said:
    Notch when playing video: really? I mean really? Steve Jobs (PBOH) would never have allowed it. You know this is true.
    Aaaand...who cares?
    I care.  No doubt others do too. I also watched the keynote and when a game was playing part of the game controller was truncated by the notch. But since I already have an iPhone 7 and I'm satisfied with it, I will hold out for the XI (aka "Spiritually Approved by Steve") model which loses the notch.  
    So you spoke to the Ghost of Steve Jobs yesterday?  Good to know.

And no, the Notch will not disappear next year.  It will take at least 3-5 years to hide all those sensors behind the display.
    "It will take at least 3-5 years to hide all those sensors behind the display."

Assuming that's the direction they're going.
    entropysnetmage
  • Reply 68 of 436
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Think about this:

You're asleep on the sofa, and your kids decide they want to buy ten add-ons for some game. 

Which is more likely to wake you?

Placing your finger on the TouchID button, or trying to pry your eye open to trigger FaceID?
    LOL. Maybe both eyes.
    netmage
  • Reply 69 of 436
    sog35 said:
    schlack said:
    Interesting to see that Apple now has a phone lineup that spans from $350 to $1150, wow. That $1150 price point feels just absurd. Will be interesting to see how this sells. I guess I'll be holding on to my (perfectly awesome) iPhone 7 for at least another year or two.
    Well, Tim Cook did say the iPhone X is what Apple envisions for the next ten years.  So I assume, at some time, prices will come down to more mainstream levels once production ramps up to Apple's scale, probably two to three years.
    I don't think so.

I thin Apple is breaking new ground: true luxury phones.

I expect next year or the year after to offer an X phone with a 6.5+ inch screen that will start at $1099 or more.

Apple has to do this. All the other brands are racing to the bottom.  Apple is racing to the top.
    I agree, Apple will come out with a bigger version of the iPhone X next year.  But there's only so far up you can go before you get consumer push back and sales start to hurt.
    bb-15
  • Reply 70 of 436
    The naming convention is cleverly subversive and will present Samsung with a problem. Samsung skipped the Note 6 and went from 5 to 7. Similarly Windows eschewed Windows 9 and went from 8 to 10. Apple have gone one better that both of those two, they have not only skipped 9 as well by going from 7 straight to 8 and X, but because X is pronounced 10 they will be able to leapfrog everyone and retire the 8 line of phone design completely and call all their next gen phones iPhone 11. Genius, can't wait to see what Samsung will do they'll have to go from Galaxy 8 to Galaxy 11 just to keep up. 
    Easy! Sammy will just call it Note 11, duh. Or, X1
  • Reply 71 of 436
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    sog35 said:
    jasenj1 said:
    sog35 said:
    It doesn't have a memory card slot. Maybe not important to you, but important to many.
    nope.

memory card slot is important to a very very small percentage of iPhone users.
    to 0% actually, since the iPhone doesnt have a memory card slot and never had a memory card slot and never will have a memory card slot. 

People who think that is important have moved to Android, years ago. 
    StrangeDaysbb-15pscooter63netmage
  • Reply 72 of 436
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    sog35 said:
    schlack said:
    I don't think so.

I expect next year or the year after to offer an X phone with a 6.5+ inch screen that will start at $1099 or more.

Apple has to do this. All the other brands are racing to the bottom.  Apple is racing to the top.
    I agree, Apple will come out with a bigger version of the iPhone X next year.  But there's only so far up you can go before you get consumer push back and sales start to hurt.

2018, introducing the iPhone XS 

;)

>:x
    stompyargonaut
  • Reply 73 of 436

schlack said:
    Not unless it is a total disaster. Selling lower numbers suits them, they can be experimental with components and get then scale up production on those components on the mid priced models the next year. 
    netmage
  • Reply 74 of 436
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    rob53 said:
    CNN came out with an attack video on the apparent failed face recognition attempt during special event keynote. http://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/2017/09/13/apple-iphone-face-recognition-fail-me-sot.hln

It bothers me when non-technical people berate a product with little understanding of what's really going on. If you look at a closeup of the iPhone X screen, it gives the typical passcode requirement used when starting from a fresh startup or when the phone hasn't been used for 8 hours. The message doesn't say failed attempt, try again, it simply says the passcode is required to ENABLE Face ID. I have to presume this was a phone Craig Federighi would have had to have Face ID already programmed into it for it to work. The phone was waiting for him but might not have been turned on since the day before.

I didn't see this as a failure of Face ID, I simply saw it as something that the iPhone is supposed to do. If it didn't recognize his face, then it doesn't unlock the phone. If it hasn't been unlocked for 8 hours (or whatever a new timeout is), then it doesn't unlock the phone. Isn't it better to fail to unlock then to unlock with the wrong face? Sometimes people just don't get it and rush out to criticize Apple because they feel they can.

Ah. 

Okay, that explains that. 
  • Reply 75 of 436
    tipoo said:
    Noticed The the iPhone X A11 page mentions the neural net, iPhone 8 A11 page does not. Slightly different chips? 
    Actually if you READ what both webpages say, you will see this:
    https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/
    - A11 Bionic chip with 64-bit architecture
    - Neural engine
    - Embedded M11 motion coprocessor
    - A11 Bionic chip with 64-bit architecture
    - Neural Engine
    - Embedded M11 motion coprocessor

iPhoneX and iPhone8 both have identical SoCs.

edited September 2017 netmageargonaut
  • Reply 76 of 436
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    iPhone 10 is certainly well balanced especially in size(not big,not small,just right). Love it. About viewing video, there can be option in Settings where one who has issue with notch while watching video, it plays upto notch instead of adjusting all the time. Most people won't care. I also like tap on screen to get to home screen rather side button. Apple Pay side button is fine because you don't use often. Any function(screen off,sleep,wake up,etc) that you have to keep using often with any mechanical button(which can go bad after), I rather have those function tap/slide on screen or differently like raising iPhone..
    edited September 2017 palomine
  • Reply 77 of 436
    entropys said:
    What's the alternative? The article mentions you can watch the video "unobstructed or expand it to full screen, which rounds off the corners and knocks out the slot where sensors sit. " Given that there must be sensors somewhere, and Apple allows you to either view a video in a rectangular window or expanded to fill the corners, it looks like they've covered all the bases. The only other option is to remove the sensors completely, but obviously that has large ramifications.
    StrangeDaysbb-15fastasleepSolinetmage
  • Reply 78 of 436
    jasenj1 said:
    sog35 said:
    I'm not so sure about that. I don't have a lot of apps on my phone, but I take a ton of pictures and videos. All my videos are in 4K except the slow motion ones I've recorded. I bought the 128 gig 7 Plus and I haven't even come remotely close to using up all my hard drive space. I travel a lot so I always take a ton of pictures and videos. I can't possibly see who would need more than 256 gigs of hard drive space. 
    netmage
  • Reply 79 of 436

sog35 said:
    schlack said:
    I don't think so.

It doesnt matter if sales "hurt" on the high level model,  however that can be measured on a new device model, because Apple doesn't want that to be the mass  or most popular model. But they will nevertheless sell millions, as it will probably become a veblen good. Thats a good where demand increase as the price increases. 

The higher the price the more the upper middle class and paricularly the rich will buy it. Why? Because the highest cost phone is in fact a status symbol. Imagine two guys at a charity function for rich people. Person A takes out his iPhone X, top model. Cost $1200+. Person B takes out his cheaper Samsung. Immediately a man of lesser status. 

(You can get status in other ways of course, drive a prius but I dont see the ability to virtue signal with a phone).

This means the 8 will have less status, which is fine by me because it still beats all android devices. 
    edited September 2017 netmage
  • Reply 80 of 436
    Rayz2016 said:
    bitmod said:

- Why would you need to unlock the phone to put it to your ear? Accepting a call never requires authentication. 

- What loss of privacy are you talking about? Specifically? Lost to whom?
    To make a call... you need to unlock the phone. To glance at info/notifications... from what I saw on the keynote, FR is somewhat cumbersome. If you need that level of security, then I guess you need it.

As far as privacy - don't be naive. Government and law enforcement have access to all data gathered. We learned this from Snowden - all the while Apple selling the same lie that it's protected - having to later admit it does store and hand over this info. Then we learned it again that the 'can never be decrypted' was decrypted in a day by some 'third party' to help crack that terrorist's cell phone. 

I don't think people want to give their biometric facial information to a company notorious for lying about its 'anonymous' and 'secure' data collection that is neither. 
    I've only spoken to 3 people about it today - but none of them are warm to the idea.
    Doesn't mean it won't sell like hotcakes - but I doubt the majority will use the FR. I don't know anyone who uses the touch security on their phones. They are either passcode or none - for the same privacy reasons - and that's gotta be well over 20 people. 

Time will tell thou. Facebook had a lot of blowback over their FR. 
    If Apple Pay gets more traction - maybe it will take off. But it hasn't exactly taken off has it. 
    Wow. Three people. There's a datapoint worth considering…

When you make assertions, it often helps to provide evidence. Otherwise you're just spewing your paranoia all over the net. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/18/technology/apple-timothy-cook-fbi-san-bernardino.html

See how easy that was?

And again:

https://www.recode.net/2016/2/17/11587902/apples-cook-slams-court-order-to-build-a-backdoor-to-the-iphone

See?

And Apple has always been a transparent about what they are obliged to hand over by law. Or are you suggesting that Apple should break the law?

https://www.apple.com/uk/privacy/government-information-requests/

Incidentally, the terrorist's phone was not decrypted. That would involve getting access to an encryption key. The phone was cracked due to a bug in ios9 running on a 5c. The crack wouldn't have worked on a later model phone and/or a later OS, which is why Apple didn't sue the FBI to find out how they did it (which would have been within their rights). 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/web/hackers-unlock-iphone-not-cellebrite/

As for Apple Pay getting traction, that depends on where you are. It's all over the Uk because we've had NFC terminals for years. We can use the phone/watch in every major shop and on both buses and trains. There underground will let you through the barrier with a tap of your phone, but you need to make sure that you have enough juice left to get out at the other end. 

P.S.

Love how you've given yourself a user name to make it look as though you know what you're talking about. 

Thank you for saving me the trouble of calling this out. So many people follow things at the most superficial level and think they are informed.
    Either you follow something closely or you don't really know what you're talking about.  So typical these days.
    StrangeDaysstompyradarthekat