First look: iPhone 8 series with A11 Bionic chip, wireless charging, more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    " the price premium of iPhone X over iPhone 8 is just $50 shy the price of a new iPhone SE"

This is slightly disingenuous.  The correct comparison (both price-wise and feature-wise) is not the iPhone 8 but the iPhone 8 plus.  The 8+ and the X have a MUCH more similar screen size and camera functionality. The price comparison between these two is "only" $150.  Seems to me if you're already spending $850 on the iPhone 8+, springing for a X at $150 is a no-brainer.

Well, the price difference between the 8+ and the X is 200$, not 150$....
  • Reply 22 of 34
    ireland said:
    An SE sized iPhone X would be nice. The price would not.
    Oh man, I’d pay whatever it takes… 
  • Reply 23 of 34
    I totally agree with the 128GB comment. The 128GB is the sweet spot for a lot of folks.  Does Apple think they can force people into 256GB version and make more money, or is there s chip supply issue?  Frankly I'll go 64GB and remove apps I don't use often, I will be less likely to buy new apps, and I'll offload as much content to my personal cloud to make it work.  That's asking a lot from a customer giving up $700 for a phone, and risking a lot for Apple from customers who won't buy apps, or spend a little bit more to get 128GB.  Dumb.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    airnerd said:
    When I upgrade it will be to an 8, not an X.  However, the 8 doesn't offer anything over my 6 except portrait mode and I don't care about that.  So when my 6 breaks I'll upgrade but this isn't driving an upgrade for me. 
    Except for great performance improvement of about 4 times being faster, twice the RAM, 4K video recording, far better camera, water resistance, AR capability etc etc
    My 6 already goes fast, no lag or delay.  So as I said, no improvement over what I already have.  I don't care about 4k recording and my 6 or an 8 is going to each have a lifeproof on it so already waterresistant.  AR is a neat trick that won't get used by me or most people aside from some "cool game".  
  • Reply 25 of 34
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    gadgetdon said:
    The reason I'm only tempted by the 8/8Plus is because I really don't want to give up the home button and TouchID. With TouchID, if you choose to, you can select other fingers to activate it. You've only got one face for FaceID. Siri on the button one the side (the one that shuts off the phone) - seems like it's going to cause problems - short press, shut off. Longer press - Siri. Longer press - reboot. And as someone who activates his phone many times during the day - FaceID has to use more energy than TouchID. I LIKE having a bezel I can grab.
    You realize you can touch the screen to turn it on correct. You can see notifications and what not without unlocking the phone all the way ? why does his HAVE to use not energy ?
  • Reply 26 of 34
    ireland said:
    An SE sized iPhone X would be nice.
    Ahhh.... the mythical "iPhone SEX".

Hot seller, no doubt.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    An SE sized iPhone X would be nice.
    Ahhh.... the mythical "iPhone SEX".

Hot seller, no doubt.
    I'd come, and buy.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 28 of 34
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    gadgetdon said:
    The reason I'm only tempted by the 8/8Plus is because I really don't want to give up the home button and TouchID. With TouchID, if you choose to, you can select other fingers to activate it. You've only got one face for FaceID. Siri on the button one the side (the one that shuts off the phone) - seems like it's going to cause problems - short press, shut off. Longer press - Siri. Longer press - reboot. And as someone who activates his phone many times during the day - FaceID has to use more energy than TouchID. I LIKE having a bezel I can grab.
    I really agree with you one the touchId.   Even if they had put touchId on the back (on the logo) I would have bought it.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    tmay said:
    I'm really thinking that Apple will not be able to meet demand at all on the iPhone X, and when I say that, I'm thinking through late spring. In my own case, I hadn't planned on purchasing one, but I am really interested in the X2, hoping that it gets Pencil support, a year from now.

It's conceivable that the pricing for the iPhone X isn't going to have much effect on demand; people will just adjust their initial outlays, or their payment plans, to get one. Demand is almost certainly going to exceed supply; would 50 million iPhone X's even be enough to meet demand for the next year?
    It would be great if the the iPhone XI has pencil support but I don't think that will happen till the come out with an iPhone XII Plus ( or later) due to the availability of the OLED screens.   Apple would need to either get the screen from Samsung or develop an OLED supplier that can ship in volume and quantity.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    " the price premium of iPhone X over iPhone 8 is just $50 shy the price of a new iPhone SE"

This is slightly disingenuous.  The correct comparison (both price-wise and feature-wise) is not the iPhone 8 but the iPhone 8 plus.  The 8+ and the X have a MUCH more similar screen size and camera functionality. The price comparison between these two is "only" $150.  Seems to me if you're already spending $850 on the iPhone 8+, springing for a X at $150 is a no-brainer.

The only reason NOT to do this is that you will probably have to wait until January (or maybe even March) to get an iPhone X.  So if you can wait, seems worth it to me...

I do wish they had made a 128 GB version.  64 GB is a tad too small (especially when considering the 12 MP cameras), but 256 is overkill (at least for me)...  128 GB (which is what I have on my iPhone 6 is just right.  Oh well... 
    The iPhone 8+ is $799 - not $850.  So the price difference is $200 between it and the iPhone X.
    tadd said:
    My biggest gripe about the iPhone 8 was also my gripe about the iPhone 7.  You don't get the better camera without going for the ridiculously large chassis size.  I don't want such a large chassis.  The iPhone X gets me the camera in the smaller chassis.  
    What made the Plus series camera better was the optical image stabilization. The second lens provides only a 2x optical zoom, not a big deal. The 8 is different from 7 in that now the optical image stabilization exists on both models. If you can afford paying $300 premium for a 2x zoom lens then go with X.
    The iPhone 7 (4.7") does have OIS, for both pictures and video.  This was one of its main camera benefits over the 6s.  The 7 received OIS and the 7+ the dual cameras.

I have the 7 and the OIS is a significant improvement for video capture.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 31 of 34
    ireland said:
    gadgetdon said:
    The X still has bezels.
    and quite thick ones, all around.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    brucemc said:

The only reason NOT to do this is that you will probably have to wait until January (or maybe even March) to get an iPhone X.  So if you can wait, seems worth it to me...

I do wish they had made a 128 GB version.  64 GB is a tad too small (especially when considering the 12 MP cameras), but 256 is overkill (at least for me)...  128 GB (which is what I have on my iPhone 6 is just right.  Oh well... 
    The iPhone 8+ is $799 - not $850.  So the price difference is $200 between it and the iPhone X.
    tadd said:
    My biggest gripe about the iPhone 8 was also my gripe about the iPhone 7.  You don't get the better camera without going for the ridiculously large chassis size.  I don't want such a large chassis.  The iPhone X gets me the camera in the smaller chassis.  
    What made the Plus series camera better was the optical image stabilization. The second lens provides only a 2x optical zoom, not a big deal. The 8 is different from 7 in that now the optical image stabilization exists on both models. If you can afford paying $300 premium for a 2x zoom lens then go with X.
    The iPhone 7 (4.7") does have OIS, for both pictures and video.  This was one of its main camera benefits over the 6s.  The 7 received OIS and the 7+ the dual cameras.

I have the 7 and the OIS is a significant improvement for video capture.
    Interesting thing about the OIS: if you drop the phone, even if the phone does not get damaged, the OIS might get damaged, and set you back $59 for a new camera replacement. I found this out the hard way.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,930member

Yes and no - It's very much like getting a car and choosing between between the LX and the EX. If you want everything in the higher model than you're getting more for your money. If you don't, than you're getting stuck with a big upgrade fee.

For many people, the decision is between an iPhone 8 and an iPhone X. The upgrade cost to go from an 8 to an X is $300, with amounts to a 43% or 35% price increase, depending on the model. While it's very true the screens are not the same size, it you are planning on getting an 8 instead of an 8+, you have already decided that you don't want/need the larger screen size, so the screen size argument is rather hollow, and to deliberately choose the higher priced 8 plus as the comparison point can also be viewed as disingenuous.

I complete agree with the other posters about the 128GB size being a nice point. I suspect the incremental manufacturing costs for Apple to make a 256 vs 128GB model were such that they nixed the latter, but it too bad we don't have the choice. 

edited September 2017