LTE Apple Watch Series 3 boosts minimum required device to iPhone 6 for initial setup [u]

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2017
The Apple Watch Series 3 adds LTE but at a cost to older iPhone owners -- the iPhone 5s won't be able to set up or communicate with the device at all.

Shortly after the Sept. 12 unveiling event, Apple updated its product page for the Apple Watch to reflect the new unit, and the removal of the Series 2. As part of a footnote at the bottom of the page, Apple notes that while the iPhone 5s on iOS 11 can still be used to configure and communicate with the still-available Series 1 Apple Watch and the Series 3 Apple Watch without LTE, but the iPhone 6 and newer is required to configure the LTE version.

It is unclear why the LTE version needs the newer phone to work. AppleInsider has contacted Apple regarding the specific reasons for the iPhone hardware limitation, and will update accordingly.

The Series 3 Apple Watch was demonstrated during Tuesday's iPhone release event, and now features a LTE radio for phone calls and ultimately Apple Music in conjunction with the wi-fi and Bluetooth for communication. The Series 3 watch without LTE is available for a starting price of $329, with the LTE version selling for $399 and up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Would the series 3 work with an iPhone SE? 
    longpath
  • Reply 2 of 35
    It should work with no problem being it supports the upcoming iOS 11
  • Reply 3 of 35
    jvmb said:
    Would the series 3 work with an iPhone SE? 
    From http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/13/first-look-apple-watch-series-3-apples-first-cellular-connected-wearable
    Cellular Series 3 models also require having at least an iPhone 6 "or later" (which would include iPhone SE). Other non-cellular Apple Watch models can work with an iPhone 5s.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Hope this means the Bluetooth data speeds between the new watch and phone is improved. They only mentioned Wifi speed improved on the watch 70%. Maybe the new radio support 802.11 AC?
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Seriously? Does this only apply to the version with cellular, or all series 3 watches? The 5s isn't that old, and I don't want to upgrade. I guess I won't be buying an Apple Watch after all if it won't work with my 5s. *sigh*
    edited September 2017 cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 35
    I can't fault Apple for this. Even tho I own an Se and am an avid AppleWatch wearer. It allows Apple to put more resources into improving 'current' devices, OS's, and software. Plus, R&D for future fantastic devices, e.g., AirPods, PowerPad, iPad Pros, iPhones, etc.

I just bought a 2017 rose gold MacBook to replace my aging 2006 original intel iMac (it just will not die) b/c it no longer supports the latest and greatest MacOS. 

Thanks Apple! :)

P.S. I just read the comments and maybe the Se is supported! :)
    edited September 2017 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Seriously? Does this only apply to the version with cellular, or all series 3 watches? The 5s isn't that old, and I don't want to upgrade. I guess I won't be buying an Apple Watch after all if it won't work with my 5s. *sigh*
    All series 3.

Correction, not all series 3. Just LTE.
    edited September 2017 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 35

I can't fault Apple for this. Even tho I own an Se and am an avid AppleWatch wearer. It allows Apple to put more resources into improving 'current' devices, OS's, and software. Plus, R&D for future fantastic devices, e.g., AirPods, PowerPad, iPad Pros, iPhones, etc.

I just bought a 2017 rose gold MacBook to replace my aging 2006 original intel iMac (it just will not die) b/c it no longer supports the latest and greatest MacOS. 

The SE is two generations newer than the 5s. Yes, the SE is supported.
    lolliverGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Adds LTE to make it a standalone unit..... makes you have an iPhone anyway.
    john.balcstarheel
  • Reply 10 of 35
    How will this work with carriers though? A bit off topic but will the Series 3 cellular run off the existing plan or require a new one or add-on?
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Too bad.  I was going to order a new watch on Friday, but I have a 5S non-cellular version.  Seems like an unnecessary restriction for Apple to make, since the series 2 works with it.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Anilu_777 said:
    How will this work with carriers though? A bit off topic but will the Series 3 cellular run off the existing plan or require a new one or add-on?
    The US carriers are charging an extra $10/month to add an LTE watch to an existing plan. Same price as adding a cellular tablet.  :|
    longpath
  • Reply 13 of 35
    From the Apple Store App: “Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) requires an iPhone 5s or later with iOS 11 or later. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) requires an iPhone 6 or later with iOS 11 or later.”

The information in this article and comments is incorrect.
    supadav03
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Only the Series 3 with cellular requires an iPhone 6. The Series 3 with GPS is 5s or newer. 
    supadav03userofapples
  • Reply 15 of 35
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    The 5S is now 4 years old! Lucky my iPhone 6 which is now 3 years old is still supported. I still haven't made up my mind if I'm going to upgrade or not. It won't be to the 8, as to me they're kind of old tech over the X. But my current iPhone has 128 Gig's, so I can't get the cheaper 64 gig X version, which means even more money to get the 256 gig version. Which I assume is another $100. I have the Original Apple Watch that I love. Homekit support on it has been great. Though Siri on it in general is really nice and makes things like the Echo seem like old tech to me. Faster would be nice. Cell service?!?! Depends on cost. I'm not going to pay $10 or more per month. That's another $120 a year or more for a watch. A watch with your same phone number. A watch where you're either using one or the other. So really it shouldn't cost anything more other then maybe a cheap setup fee if not free as just part of your cell plan.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 35
    All series 3.
    It is only cellular model. Look on Apple’s website.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    All series 3.
    It is only cellular model. Look on Apple’s website.
    That's new since this morning. I'll update accordingly. Thanks.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 35
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Likely requires secure enclave to hold SIM data or NFC for the setup.
    Think ApplePay like restrictions.
    lolliverwatto_cobralongpath
  • Reply 19 of 35

The SE is two generations newer than the 5s. Yes, the SE is supported.
    FWIW, I went to Apple's site, clicked on the "chat" button, waited quite a while, and finally got an Apple representative. She told me the SE was NOT supported with the Series 3 watch. On one hand I'm not sure I trust her. On the other hand, I would expect Apple to have given her a script to read from for questions like this. She seemed definitive, and never said anything like "I don't know, let me check". Of course, she could have been trained to lie through her teeth if she didn't know an answer.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Anilu_777 said:
    I read somewhere that you'll have to pay extra. I think the quoted rate for Sprint was an extra $10/month.