Apple's AirPower wireless charging pad charges up to 3 devices, to launch in 2018

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Eric_WVGG said:

I suppose we can look forward to AirPower charging mice, keyboards, and Apple Pencils down the road.
    Definitely for iOS devices...

I just bought a new 2017 MacBook and love it, but I'm coming around to the meme that iOS is Apple's main focus not OSX.

Not just the revenue generating iPhone, either, but the iOS hardware all around. I.e., iPad and the iPad Pro's/KB's and Pencil. Plus, iOS operating system and Apple Apps. Not to mention the emphasis on Cloud and Services. I know an iPad Pro is  not the best device for everyone, but it sure is getting closer! :)
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 28
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    entropys said:
    I wonder if the new airpods have the W2 chip?
    I didn't hear them mention new Air Pods, just a new "optional" wireless charging case, which sounded like it would be available separately. Then again, I may have missed something.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    aylk said:
    “The company failed to launch a branded wireless charger”

“Apple failed to mention pricing”

...Define failure, please. If it wasn’t a goal for the event it can’t be said to be a failure. Are you aware of your loaded language? The subtext of this writing style is to cast a negative connotation. Most peculiar. 
    failure - the omission of expected or required action.

Or, in other words, Apple failed to do what we claimed they were going to do based on no information.

With the wireless charging mat, I don't actually recall anyone talking about it beforehand, even after the most recent leaks (then again, I've been behind on the stupid leaks front), and they actually announced that it would be available next year. I wouldn't expect pricing information on something not due out for around 6 months to be too reliable.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Wireless charging = waste of energy = anti-ecological. Not good.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    appex said:
    Wireless charging = waste of energy = anti-ecological. Not good.
    Disagree. Wireless charging is awesome. Cables are a pain. Wireless charging may not be efficient but energy is abundant. Or at least it soon will be.

• Reply 26 of 28
    pvonk said:
    entropys said:
    Phil said series 3 I believe.

I would have been more excited if it was wireless charging at a distance, so you could use the iPhone while it charges.
    Having to put it and keep it on a specific spot to charge is not a key selling point.
    Is there such a thing as wireless charging "at a distance" - and if so what kind of electric device and at what distance?

And how long before it gives you cancer?
  • Reply 27 of 28
    I ike it...I bought the AppleWatch Pad for my daughter and one for myself and we both really love it. It's a small thing, but not having to plug devices in is fantastic. And to be able to travel with only one cable is a big plus! :)

Agreed! I bought one thinking it would be a superfluous purchase that only an uber fan would really appreciate, but I really love it, and I think it'd be worth it for a lot of people. Being able to toss your watch on the pad *and* to have it effortlessly go into night mode is really great.* I have it sitting on the corner of my mattress so that I just tap the bed next to it if I need to know what time it is (for those that aren't aware, the accelerometer turns on the clock briefly).
    *I hope Apple has an option soon to dim the night mode screen brightness; I have to turn it mostly away from me when I'm sleeping at night.

I imagine I'll keep my watch pad along with getting the AirPower pad, which will come in handy when I have an, um, guest spend the night.* Lol.
    *AirPower seems like it'd be the perfect size for two phones.
    Guests are good! :)
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 28
    pvonk said:
    entropys said:
    Phil said series 3 I believe.

I would have been more excited if it was wireless charging at a distance, so you could use the iPhone while it charges.
    Having to put it and keep it on a specific spot to charge is not a key selling point.
    Is there such a thing as wireless charging "at a distance" - and if so what kind of electric device and at what distance?

And how long before it gives you cancer?
    Wireless charging at a distance exists. Right now, the most effective "at a distance" method essentially involves setting up a standing electromagnetic field in a room. Devices within the room can then pull from the field. It's very efficient and can handle kilowatts of power. This was discussed in a LiveScience article earlier this year. The original paper was published in PLOS ONE and is quite good.

It's electromagnetic, so there is no measurable increase in cancer risk. Electromagnetic energy doesn't work that way. All it does is impart heat, like a microwave. The biggest risk is EM burns, which are similar to sunburns.