First look: Hands-on with Apple's iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 81 of 436
    kevin kee said:
    Hmmm, I first notice how small it is in the hand, after several years with plus model. And to be honest, the notch on the top is not bothering me at all. It was a little bit strange in the beginning though, but it grows on me. Still, I am curious why they opt for this design as oppose to make the whole bar black.
    Because then there would be square corners on the top and round on the bottom. Ugly.  Otherwise, they would have to lose even more screen to round the corners on top, which defeats the edge-to-edge claim snd contradicts the imperative to deliver as much active screen as possible.
  • Reply 82 of 436
    REALLY? REALLY? People were CLAPPING when Schiller told them that you now can't access your MONEY or any of your personal info without FACIAL RECOGNITION?

Are you still going to be clapping when the government takes away YOUR ABILITY TO ACCESS YOUR OWN MONEY because it considers you a "terrorist threat" or says you have an "illegal" political view?

Steve Jobs would NEVER have condoned this BIG BROTHER crap, you know it. This is the creepiest thing since the fingerprint BS in the iPhone 5, 6 and 7. Apple is changing for sure, and not in a good way.

I don't want to have to wear a watch that reports how healthy I am and how much money I have to "the cloud." You might as well ask how much SLAVE LIFE a person has left in them.
    Though factually a wee bit off I sympathize.
  • Reply 83 of 436
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    I don't understand why Apple is being criticized for selling a $999 smartphone. The list price of the Samsung Galaxy Note8 is $960, while the G8 is $756 and the G8+ is $840. The Google Pixel is $650 (only 32GB), while its larger version Pixel XL is $770 (only 32GB). Even the Motorola Moto's are in the $700 range. (All prices through Verizon). The Samsung devices are only available with 64GB while the Pixel can be upgraded to 128GB. The iPhone X is a much more capable device justifying the additional few dollars to $100+ dollars. When you look at enterprises and the US government, the iPhones are the only devices being purchased in bulk (other than specialized, non-consumer Android phones). I don't see car prices going down even when nothing is new except for some "lipstick." 

How much money does it cost people to visit Starbucks in one month? Typical grande coffee blend cost is $4 so people could easily spend $100 (usually more) on coffee each month. That's more a waste of money than spending one month's worth of coffee on a better smartphone.
    StrangeDaysbb-15stompyfastasleepradarthekatargonaut
  • Reply 84 of 436
    siretman said:
    Ischlack said:
    Interesting to see that Apple now has a phone lineup that spans from $350 to $1150, wow. That $1150 price point feels just absurd. Will be interesting to see how this sells. I guess I'll be holding on to my (perfectly awesome) iPhone 7 for at least another year or two.
    It will sell. Apple come and get my money!!!!!. Life is short. Enjoy it with the best devices in the world. Can't wait until Oct 27 to order the 256G black unit for me and the silver one for my wife. 
    Life is short, yeah, but the middle class is shrinking and the upper class is tiny. There's no way I'll buy this thing living in poverty. I could justify the 6s I pay $25 a month for because my iPhone 4 was just too abandoned (and slowed by iOS 6; forget 7). This is a luxury product. I refused to call prior iPhones and iPad luxury products because of their utility, but the Apple Watch and iPhone X are absolutely luxury products.
    78Banditasdasduniscapeargonaut
  • Reply 85 of 436
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    dysamoria said:
    siretman said:
    Ischlack said:
    Interesting to see that Apple now has a phone lineup that spans from $350 to $1150, wow. That $1150 price point feels just absurd. Will be interesting to see how this sells. I guess I'll be holding on to my (perfectly awesome) iPhone 7 for at least another year or two.
    It will sell. Apple come and get my money!!!!!. Life is short. Enjoy it with the best devices in the world. Can't wait until Oct 27 to order the 256G black unit for me and the silver one for my wife. 
    Life is short, yeah, but the middle class is shrinking and the upper class is tiny. There's no way I'll buy this thing living in poverty. I could justify the 6s I pay $25 a month for because my iPhone 4 was just too abandoned (and slowed by iOS 6; forget 7). This is a luxury product. I refused to call prior iPhones and iPad luxury products because of their utility, but the Apple Watch and iPhone X are absolutely luxury products.
    Enough with the asshat class warfare drivel. 
    StrangeDaysbb-15fastasleepwilliamlondonnetmagebrucemc
  • Reply 86 of 436
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

rob53 said:
    I don't understand why Apple is being criticized for selling a $999 smartphone.
    Because it's Apple. Simply because it's Apple and no other reason.
    StrangeDaysGG1bloggerblogbb-15netmagebrucemc
  • Reply 87 of 436
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    dysamoria said:
    siretman said:
    Ischlack said:
    Well I agree. It is more elitist than the 8. That said the middle class is being eaten into by the rise in the number  of the poor and an increase in the upper middle class. 
    netmage
  • Reply 88 of 436
    asdasd said:

sog35 said:
    schlack said:
    Well, Tim Cook did say the iPhone X is what Apple envisions for the next ten years.  So I assume, at some time, prices will come down to more mainstream levels once production ramps up to Apple's scale, probably two to three years.
    I don't think so.

I thin Apple is breaking new ground: true luxury phones.

I expect next year or the year after to offer an X phone with a 6.5+ inch screen that will start at $1099 or more.

Apple has to do this. All the other brands are racing to the bottom.  Apple is racing to the top.
    I agree, Apple will come out with a bigger version of the iPhone X next year.  But there's only so far up you can go before you get consumer push back and sales start to hurt.
    It doesnt matter if sales "hurt" on the high level model,  however that can be measured on a new device model, because Apple doesn't want that to be the mass  or most popular model. But they will nevertheless sell millions, as it will probably become a veblen good. Thats a good where demand increase as the price increases. 

The higher the price the more the upper middle class and paricularly the rich will buy it. Why? Because the highest cost phone is in fact a status symbol. Imagine two guys at a charity function for rich people. Person A takes out his iPhone X, top model. Cost $1200+. Person B takes out his cheaper Samsung. Immediately a man of lesser status. 

(You can get status in other ways of course, drive a prius but I dont see the ability to virtue signal with a phone).

This means the 8 will have less status, which is fine by me because it still beats all android devices. 
    They tried that initially with Apple Watch when they sold the Watch Edition in Gold & Rose Gold material. It was a disaster.  And in this interview, Tim Cook mentions he doesn't envision iPhone only for rich people:

http://fortune.com/2017/09/11/apple-tim-cook-education-health-care/

"Q: You say that Apple makes its products for everyone to be able to use. But Apple’s business strategy is to make premium-priced, high-margin, high-end products, which is why you’re the most valuable company in the world.

A: Well it’s not high margin. I wouldn’t use that word. There’s a lot of companies that have much higher margins. We price for the value of our products. And we try to make the very best products. And that means we don’t make commodity kind of products. And we don’t disparage people that do; it’s a fine business model. But it’s not the business that we’re in.

But if you look across our product lines, you can buy an iPad today for under $300. You can buy an iPhone, depending upon which one you select, for in that same kind of ballpark. And so these are not for the rich. We obviously wouldn’t have over a billion products that are in our active installed base if we were making them for the rich because that’s a sizable number no matter who’s looking at the numbers."

edited September 2017 bb-15radarthekatnetmageargonaut
  • Reply 89 of 436
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    schlack said:
    Well, Tim Cook did say the iPhone X is what Apple envisions for the next ten years.  So I assume, at some time, prices will come down to more mainstream levels once production ramps up to Apple's scale, probably two to three years.
    I don't think so.

I expect next year or the year after to offer an X phone with a 6.5+ inch screen that will start at $1099 or more.

Apple has to do this. All the other brands are racing to the bottom.  Apple is racing to the top.
    I agree, Apple will come out with a bigger version of the iPhone X next year.  But there's only so far up you can go before you get consumer push back and sales start to hurt.
    We are not even close to that level.

just look at it this way:  iPhone cycles seem to be extending to over 2 years.  Many iPhone users are holding their phones for 3 years.  That means they should be willing to pay a higher price for a new iPhone since its going to cost them the same amount per year.

$700 phone last 2 years - $350 per year

$1200 phone last 3 years - $400 per year

Don't think people will blink paying $50 more per year

The amount of tech and value stuffed into the X definitely justifies its higher price.

I would be willing to pay $1500 for a new iPhone if it provides $1500 in value. 

"iPhone cycles seem to be extending to over 2 years.  Many iPhone users are holding their phones for 3 years."

True that!
    radarthekatnetmage
  • Reply 90 of 436
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

bitmod said:
    I found nothing compelling about the X other than the color/build quality and OLED display. 
    The constant face scanning is actually a major turn-off and not something I want. 
    It's actually a lot faster and more convienent to click the home button while pulling the phone out of your pocket and straight to your ear, than bringing the phone to your forward looking face and swiping up before bringing to your ear. 

I sense a growing divergence in what people will accept in regards to privacy.
    I don't think the X will fail, but the face recognition will. For the same reason Oculus failed... it's a step too far in loss of privacy. 

The 8 will blow the X out of the water in sales for this reason alone. 
    Yep, you're right. Having the best designed device in the history of man, is not for everyone. :)
    And then next years will be the best designed device.

Your new X won't look so compelling anymore, old news and so last year. It's a never ending chase for shiny things, and I'm just as guilty of it. That thing we Ioved 6 months ago suddenly seems inadequate.  I'm already thinking of a new vehicle because of some new tech I read about coming next year even tho I bought a well-researched and highly regarded vehicle I love(d) less than 12 months ago.  Why do we do this? 
  • Reply 91 of 436
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    asdasd said:

sog35 said:
    schlack said:
    I don't think so.

It doesnt matter if sales "hurt" on the high level model,  however that can be measured on a new device model, because Apple doesn't want that to be the mass  or most popular model. But they will nevertheless sell millions, as it will probably become a veblen good. Thats a good where demand increase as the price increases. 

The higher the price the more the upper middle class and paricularly the rich will buy it. Why? Because the highest cost phone is in fact a status symbol. Imagine two guys at a charity function for rich people. Person A takes out his iPhone X, top model. Cost $1200+. Person B takes out his cheaper Samsung. Immediately a man of lesser status. 

(You can get status in other ways of course, drive a prius but I dont see the ability to virtue signal with a phone).

This means the 8 will have less status, which is fine by me because it still beats all android devices. 
    They tried that initially with Apple Watch when they sold the Watch Edition in Gold & Rose Gold material. It was a disaster.  And in this interview, Tim Cook mentions he doesn't envision iPhone only for rich people:

http://fortune.com/2017/09/11/apple-tim-cook-education-health-care/

"Q: You say that Apple makes its products for everyone to be able to use. But Apple’s business strategy is to make premium-priced, high-margin, high-end products, which is why you’re the most valuable company in the world.

A: Well it’s not high margin. I wouldn’t use that word. There’s a lot of companies that have much higher margins. We price for the value of our products. And we try to make the very best products. And that means we don’t make commodity kind of products. And we don’t disparage people that do; it’s a fine business model. But it’s not the business that we’re in.

But if you look across our product lines, you can buy an iPad today for under $300. You can buy an iPhone, depending upon which one you select, for in that same kind of ballpark. And so these are not for the rich. We obviously wouldn’t have over a billion products that are in our active installed base if we were making them for the rich because that’s a sizable number no matter who’s looking at the numbers."

You can't really compare the edition at $5k and the same functionality to the X. The X is elitist but not for the 1% but the 20%. 

And since they have raised the price its clear that they are targeting a richer market.  As for what Cook said he is talking about the total iPhone market not the X. In fact they can use the top phone now to reduce prices on the lower end. As they have. 
    gatorguynetmage
  • Reply 92 of 436
    bitmod said:

- Why would you need to unlock the phone to put it to your ear? Accepting a call never requires authentication. 

- What loss of privacy are you talking about? Specifically? Lost to whom?
    To make a call... you need to unlock the phone. To glance at info/notifications... from what I saw on the keynote, FR is somewhat cumbersome. If you need that level of security, then I guess you need it.

As far as privacy - don't be naive. Government and law enforcement have access to all data gathered. We learned this from Snowden - all the while Apple selling the same lie that it's protected - having to later admit it does store and hand over this info. Then we learned it again that the 'can never be decrypted' was decrypted in a day by some 'third party' to help crack that terrorist's cell phone. 

I don't think people want to give their biometric facial information to a company notorious for lying about its 'anonymous' and 'secure' data collection that is neither. 
    I've only spoken to 3 people about it today - but none of them are warm to the idea.
    Doesn't mean it won't sell like hotcakes - but I doubt the majority will use the FR. I don't know anyone who uses the touch security on their phones. They are either passcode or none - for the same privacy reasons - and that's gotta be well over 20 people. 
    - but you said its faster to touch the home button and put phone to ear. thats different than making a call -- to make a call *you must look at your phone*, thus theres no additional step with face ID vs touch ID as you also have to look at the phone to unlock. so in either case you have to 1) unlock device, 2) look at phone's screen to do stuff. 

- im not being naive. your biometric data resides solely on the device, inside the secure enclave. no government has access to it. this is fact per apple. provide your proof to the contrary.

- apple has never said an iPhone can never be cracked. if you have access to the device you can remove the flash storage and brute force it with special hardware to assist in cracking. so what? no device is impregnable and nobody has ever said otherwise.

...you have no evidence that apple has is "lying" about anything. just paranoid nonsense devoid of fact.
    edited September 2017 GG1fastasleepnetmagePickUrPoisonbrucemc
  • Reply 93 of 436
    jasenj1 said:
    sog35 said:
    The iPhone X is the most amazing single piece of hardware EVER. EVER.
    It doesn't have a memory card slot. Maybe not important to you, but important to many.
    get the F outta here. are you trolling?
    pscooter63fastasleepmacseeker
  • Reply 94 of 436

sog35 said:
    rattlhed said:
    Am I the only one that's disappointed with the memory configurations on both the iPhone 8 and X?  64GB and 256GB?  What happened to 128GB?  Last year was the first year I opted for a 128GB iPhone.  Seemed like a perfect price point between plenty of storage without being too expensive.  Dropping 128 this year is quite disappointing.  No way I can go backwards to 64, so if I want to upgrade I have to opt for the most expensive model.  I really think the phones should have been 128 (for the price of 64) and 256. I guess this is the way they get all those millions of phones they sold in the last couple of years at 128 to opt for the most expensive models.  bummer.
    paying $50 more for 128 additional GB is a great deal.

If a 128GB phone was available it would have been $1099.   With more 4k video and larger photo's you will be happy you bought the 256GB phone.
    Which is why Apple does it. Phil Schiller’s middle name is upsell.
    Nonsense. There's a low-end capacity, and a high-end (4x more). Which do you need? Low end needs? Great, get the low-end capacity. High-end needs? Great, get the high-end capacity for 150 more. Which type of user are you?
    bb-15netmage
  • Reply 95 of 436

jdw said:
    melgross said:
    entropys said:
    Notch when playing video: really? I mean really? Steve Jobs (PBOH) would never have allowed it. You know this is true.
    Aaaand...who cares?
    I care.  No doubt others do too. I also watched the keynote and when a game was playing part of the game controller was truncated by the notch. But since I already have an iPhone 7 and I'm satisfied with it, I will hold out for the XI (aka "Spiritually Approved by Steve") model which loses the notch.  
    Unless you were a close personal friend of Steve Jobs, your guess at what he would think is shit at best.
    edited September 2017 netmagediegog
  • Reply 96 of 436
    I personally am thrilled to get rid of TouchID. In the winter when I am hiking around NYC, I will be able to unlock my phone without taking off my gloves or typing in my passcode.

Now if Apple would invent some gloves with touch enabled finger tips that are actually usable, I would buy those too. 
    jcs2305diegog
  • Reply 97 of 436
    dysamoria said:
    siretman said:
    Ischlack said:
    Uh guy? The Watch starts are $249. That's not luxury. That's much less than the original iPod, which it also happens to be.

And iPads have cost 1000+ for some time depending at the upper limits. As well as notebooks. And desktops. But here is one that fits into your pocket and now you have a problem with it?

If you cannot afford the high-end model, fine, get one you can afford. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't, you know, exist. I can afford a high-end model, I should be able to buy it if I determine it offers value.
    bb-15fastasleepradarthekatnetmagePickUrPoisonbrucemc
  • Reply 98 of 436

asdasd said:

sog35 said:
    schlack said:
    I don't think so.

They tried that initially with Apple Watch when they sold the Watch Edition in Gold & Rose Gold material. It was a disaster. 
    What disaster? What were the sales numbers? Oh yeah you don't have any, like any of us. 

Cook said day of Watch launch that the gold material was a very limited, special edition. Day 1, they said that. It wasn't intended to stick around, and it didn't.
    bb-15pscooter63fastasleepnetmage
  • Reply 99 of 436
    Somebody please tell me that the reason there was no iPhone 9 was not because X was afraid of 7...
    sphericargonaut
  • Reply 100 of 436
    VSzulcVSzulc Posts: 32unconfirmed, member
    First of all, that big bump on the top/side of the screen for cameras and sensors is an incredibly clumsy and un-Apple like solution.

Secondly, gestures instead of home button/power button? Really?! Not sold on the idea at all.

How do you switch apps if you're in the middle of a game? How will the game know if it's you're 'Swipe up' to get out of the app or to jump? How will the browser know if I'm swiping to get out of the browser, or to move down the webpage quickly?

Seems like an incredibly frustrating user experience, and very, yes, un-Apple like.
    macplusplusentropys