First look: Hands-on with Apple's iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 101 of 436
    Disappointed that edges are rounded and it will be slippery. So it will go in a case. Then videos playing will be cut off. Really? You are so anal about the quality of the OLEDs over LCD, and when you finally do switch to OLED, you cut off part of the screen? But wait, there's more: 64GB too little for a high end phone, 128GB at least. should come with AirPods in box. Also, would have been nice to just put the Touch ID on the back and eliminate the top notch. Some people might prefer that. This phone is not impressive, a bit gimmicky, and Federighi gave away his dignity yesterday.
  • Reply 102 of 436
      kevin kee said:
    Hmmm, I first notice how small it is in the hand, after several years with plus model. And to be honest, the notch on the top is not bothering me at all. It was a little bit strange in the beginning though, but it grows on me. Still, I am curious why they opt for this design as oppose to make the whole bar black.
    I can't get used to the notches at the top!!  I'm in time I will, however they look like little horns to me!!    >:)  >:)  >:)
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 103 of 436
    Can someone explain why iPhone X and iPad Pro don’t ship with lightning to usb-c? iPhone X supports fast charging but only with a usb-c adapter.
  • Reply 104 of 436
    Somebody please tell me that the reason there was no iPhone 9 was not because X was afraid of 7...

18 different iPhone models have been produced. The models in bold are the current flagship devices of the series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

But, thinking about it...

2007:  iPhone 1
    2008:  iPhone 2
    2009:  iPhone 3
    2010:  iPhone 4
    2011:  iPhone 5
    2012:  iPhone 6
    2013:  iPhone 7
    2014:  iPhone 8
    2015:  iPhone 9
    2016:  iPhone 10
    2017:  iPhone 11

Then there's this web site that finally [kinda'] works with Safari 11.0 on macOS High Sierra:

https://www.auduno.com/clmtrackr/examples/facesubstitution.html

bb-15fastasleep
  • Reply 105 of 436
    dysamoria said:
    siretman said:
    Ischlack said:
    Interesting to see that Apple now has a phone lineup that spans from $350 to $1150, wow. That $1150 price point feels just absurd. Will be interesting to see how this sells. I guess I'll be holding on to my (perfectly awesome) iPhone 7 for at least another year or two.
    It will sell. Apple come and get my money!!!!!. Life is short. Enjoy it with the best devices in the world. Can't wait until Oct 27 to order the 256G black unit for me and the silver one for my wife. 
    Life is short, yeah, but the middle class is shrinking and the upper class is tiny. There's no way I'll buy this thing living in poverty. I could justify the 6s I pay $25 a month for because my iPhone 4 was just too abandoned (and slowed by iOS 6; forget 7). This is a luxury product. I refused to call prior iPhones and iPad luxury products because of their utility, but the Apple Watch and iPhone X are absolutely luxury products.
    iPhone X is not a luxury product. It is expensive because $130 of its $999 price goes to Samsung as OLED price, according to Kuo. 
    bb-15
  • Reply 106 of 436
    sog35 said:
    AI_lias said:
    Disappointed that edges are rounded and it will be slippery. So it will go in a case. Then videos playing will be cut off. Really? You are so anal about the quality of the OLEDs over LCD, and when you finally do switch to OLED, you cut off part of the screen? But wait, there's more: 64GB too little for a high end phone, 128GB at least. should come with AirPods in box. Also, would have been nice to just put the Touch ID on the back and eliminate the top notch. Some people might prefer that. This phone is not impressive, a bit gimmicky, and Federighi gave away his dignity yesterday.
    Go buy a cheap POS Android phone.

While we enjoy the best phone ever made.
    I'll keep not using the best phone ever made, but my iPhone 6s Plus, together with all others who will not buy an iPhone X, for various reasons. BTW, I don't like everything about my current iPhone, but apparently still use one. So the pros outweigh the cons. But you, on the other hand, seem to be very impressed with the X.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 107 of 436
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    dunestock said:
    Without a home button, how do you take a screenshot?
    Side button and volume up at the same time.
    There's a big problem with that. I can't count the number of times I turned up the volume rather than turning off my 6s because the power and volume buttons are opposite each other. Now instead of turning up the volume I'm going to have hundreds of accidental screenshots from missed attempts to turn off my phone.
    radarthekatnetmage
  • Reply 108 of 436
    VSzulc said:
    First of all, that big bump on the top/side of the screen for cameras and sensors is an incredibly clumsy and un-Apple like solution.

Have you ever carried around camera gear?  Multiple shoulder bags for cameras, lenses, etc.  

If you watched the Apple event, the ones who looked clumsy were the "pros" who were obnoxiously shoving their bulky cameras into someone's face -- as opposed to the "amateurs" who were courteously standing back with their svelte iPhones.

Likely, most iPhone buyers will use a case which obviates the big bump.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 109 of 436
    Performance testing?  I assume it's delayed until next OS release.

Durability? Water resistant?  How does the screen stand up to impact?

---- My sisters family breaks their screens 1/2 dozen times a year.

Audio quality?

Let the real testing begin!

Wireless charging is just a gimmick.  Actual wireless performance is what matters (supporting more frequencies?)

• Reply 110 of 436

For those bemoaning the "High Price" of the iPhone X...

A loaded iPhone 8 Plus costs $45.75 per month under the IUP.  A loaded iPhone X costs $56.16 -- $10.41 per month more for the very best!
    That's exactly how companies want you to think about it - divide what you're paying into smaller, more frequent amounts to make it seem smaller. The bottom line is you're still paying over 40% more to get an iPhone X vs an iPhone 8. Even more than that if you finance it with a credit card like a lot of people unfortunately do. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 111 of 436
    Question about "unobstructed" video resolution -- does 16 x 9 aspect ratio material
    play at 1920 x 1080 (say with a thin progress bar), or 2000 x 1125 (with an overlapping one),
    or something other than that?  It's nice to see that 1080p (or quarter-size 2160p) stuff
    can play without too much work from the scaler, although I'm sure that there's plenty enough
    horsepower to do Photoshop-quality rescaling on video in real-time.  Or for that matter,
    perhaps even some sort of super-resolution upscaling from 480p or 720p.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 112 of 436
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    So why do you have to swipe up to get to the home screen when unlocking the device? Why doesn’t Face ID take you directly to the home screen? Seems slower than Touch ID.
    So you can look at the screen to read time, date, battery, signal strength, notifications etc without unlocking it?

Maybe Apple should offer an option to go directly to the Home screen with FaceID for those that want it.

fastasleepnetmage
  • Reply 113 of 436
    sog35 said:
    MplsP said:
    dunestock said:
    Without a home button, how do you take a screenshot?
    Side button and volume up at the same time.
    There's a big problem with that. I can't count the number of times I turned up the volume rather than turning off my 6s because the power and volume buttons are opposite each other. Now instead of turning up the volume I'm going to have hundreds of accidental screenshots from missed attempts to turn off my phone.
    what a tragedy!!!  I know its impossible to delete those accidental screenshots? right?
    It's certainly easy enough, but it's a pain in the ass to go into photos every week to delete a bunch of useless screenshots caused by a poor design. Your comment is kind of like saying it's no big deal that you have to open your car from the passenger side because the driver's side lock doesn't always work. If I pay $200 for a cheap Motorola android phone then I expect that. If I'm paying $1000 for a top of the line iPhone I expect better.
    netmagefirelock
  • Reply 114 of 436
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,683member
    rattlhed said:
    Am I the only one that's disappointed with the memory configurations on both the iPhone 8 and X?  64GB and 256GB?  What happened to 128GB?  Last year was the first year I opted for a 128GB iPhone.  Seemed like a perfect price point between plenty of storage without being too expensive.  Dropping 128 this year is quite disappointing.  No way I can go backwards to 64, so if I want to upgrade I have to opt for the most expensive model.  I really think the phones should have been 128 (for the price of 64) and 256. I guess this is the way they get all those millions of phones they sold in the last couple of years at 128 to opt for the most expensive models.  bummer.
    The fact that it was at the perfect price point is precisely why it doesn't exist. It's Apple's way of nudging you into the more expensive model.

It is pure evil but at least 64GB is usable. In the days when it was 16GB or 64GB it was far worse of 16GB was the only one you could afford.
  • Reply 115 of 436
    sog35 said:
    jasenj1 said:
    sog35 said:
    The iPhone X is the most amazing single piece of hardware EVER. EVER.
    It doesn't have a memory card slot. Maybe not important to you, but important to many.
    nope.

memory card slot is important to a very very small percentage of iPhone users.
    I think opinions would change if Apple added a memory card option and justified it by saying the technology wasn't right for us until now. ;-)
  • Reply 116 of 436
    asdasd said:

sog35 said:
    schlack said:
    Interesting to see that Apple now has a phone lineup that spans from $350 to $1150, wow. That $1150 price point feels just absurd. Will be interesting to see how this sells. I guess I'll be holding on to my (perfectly awesome) iPhone 7 for at least another year or two.
    Well, Tim Cook did say the iPhone X is what Apple envisions for the next ten years.  So I assume, at some time, prices will come down to more mainstream levels once production ramps up to Apple's scale, probably two to three years.
    I don't think so.

I thin Apple is breaking new ground: true luxury phones.

I expect next year or the year after to offer an X phone with a 6.5+ inch screen that will start at $1099 or more.

Apple has to do this. All the other brands are racing to the bottom.  Apple is racing to the top.
    I agree, Apple will come out with a bigger version of the iPhone X next year.  But there's only so far up you can go before you get consumer push back and sales start to hurt.
    It doesnt matter if sales "hurt" on the high level model,  however that can be measured on a new device model, because Apple doesn't want that to be the mass  or most popular model. But they will nevertheless sell millions, as it will probably become a veblen good. Thats a good where demand increase as the price increases. 

The higher the price the more the upper middle class and paricularly the rich will buy it. Why? Because the highest cost phone is in fact a status symbol. Imagine two guys at a charity function for rich people. Person A takes out his iPhone X, top model. Cost $1200+. Person B takes out his cheaper Samsung. Immediately a man of lesser status. 

(You can get status in other ways of course, drive a prius but I dont see the ability to virtue signal with a phone).

This means the 8 will have less status, which is fine by me because it still beats all android devices. 
    They tried that initially with Apple Watch when they sold the Watch Edition in Gold & Rose Gold material. It was a disaster.  And in this interview, Tim Cook mentions he doesn't envision iPhone only for rich people:

http://fortune.com/2017/09/11/apple-tim-cook-education-health-care/

"Q: You say that Apple makes its products for everyone to be able to use. But Apple’s business strategy is to make premium-priced, high-margin, high-end products, which is why you’re the most valuable company in the world.

A: Well it’s not high margin. I wouldn’t use that word. There’s a lot of companies that have much higher margins. We price for the value of our products. And we try to make the very best products. And that means we don’t make commodity kind of products. And we don’t disparage people that do; it’s a fine business model. But it’s not the business that we’re in.

But if you look across our product lines, you can buy an iPad today for under $300. You can buy an iPhone, depending upon which one you select, for in that same kind of ballpark. And so these are not for the rich. We obviously wouldn’t have over a billion products that are in our active installed base if we were making them for the rich because that’s a sizable number no matter who’s looking at the numbers."

That was a very, very poor response.

Didn't anybody ruffle his feathers with an incision right to the bone with something like:

Why do you eliminate the sweet spot storage option on a phone that has no expandable internal storage if that sweet spot is also a value point for the user?
    netmage
  • Reply 117 of 436
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    jasenj1 said:
    sog35 said:
    It doesn't have a memory card slot. Maybe not important to you, but important to many.
    nope.

I think opinions would change if Apple added a memory card option and justified it by saying the technology wasn't right for us until now. ;-)
    You mean like http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/2236.html? (As an old geezer, I like the "ear trumpet jack" best!
    edited September 2017 jasenj1
  • Reply 118 of 436
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    jasenj1 said:
    sog35 said:
    nope.

Will never happen. It's been a decade. Normals dont care, give it up.
    edited September 2017 bb-15pscooter63netmage
  • Reply 119 of 436

sog35 said:
    rattlhed said:
    Am I the only one that's disappointed with the memory configurations on both the iPhone 8 and X?  64GB and 256GB?  What happened to 128GB?  Last year was the first year I opted for a 128GB iPhone.  Seemed like a perfect price point between plenty of storage without being too expensive.  Dropping 128 this year is quite disappointing.  No way I can go backwards to 64, so if I want to upgrade I have to opt for the most expensive model.  I really think the phones should have been 128 (for the price of 64) and 256. I guess this is the way they get all those millions of phones they sold in the last couple of years at 128 to opt for the most expensive models.  bummer.
    paying $50 more for 128 additional GB is a great deal.

If a 128GB phone was available it would have been $1099.   With more 4k video and larger photo's you will be happy you bought the 256GB phone.
    Which is why Apple does it. Phil Schiller’s middle name is upsell.
    Nonsense. There's a low-end capacity, and a high-end (4x more). Which do you need? Low end needs? Great, get the low-end capacity. High-end needs? Great, get the high-end capacity for 150 more. Which type of user are you?
    Just maybe he was the one in the middle?

You know, low, mid, high?

It's upsell. Trying to spin it any other way is foolish IMO.

netmage
  • Reply 120 of 436
    loquitur said:
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    jasenj1 said:
    sog35 said:
    nope.

You mean like http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/2236.html? (As an old geezer, I like the "ear trumpet jack" best!
    LOL.

I think I'm equally old. I'm sure I have a John Denver 8 Track knocking around somewhere.
    loquiturGG1