Apple exterminates USB-C troubleshooting port on Apple TV 4K, adds Gigabit Ethernet

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2019
The new Apple TV 4K is getting faster network connectivity with the addition of a Gigabit Ethernet port, but the company has also removed the USB-C port previously used for troubleshooting and screenshot capture.

The fourth-generation Apple TV had a trio of ports -- HDMI, 10/100 Ethernet, and USB-C. It is unclear what Apple will do to supply direct connectivity for developers and device managers going forward, but network loading of software and configuration profiles seems probable.

This isn't the first time Apple eradicated ports from the Apple TV. Analog component connectors departed the unit during the shift from the first to second generation, and the optical audio connector was killed when the fourth generation Apple TV debuted.

The Apple TV 4K was shown briefly during Tuesday's array of announcements. The device is powered by the A10X processor, as found in the refreshed iPad Pro.

HDR 4K content will be available from Apple in short order. Users with films from six major studios, minus Disney, will get free updates to 4K movies if they have purchased those movies from Apple in the past.

The Apple TV 4K will be offered alongside the existing fourth-generation Apple TV from September 22, with pre-orders starting September 15. Two different capacities will be offered, with the 32-gigabyte model priced at $179, and the 64-gigabyte version at $199.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Dolby Atmos not supported.
    rmfpdxcornchipAvieshekartdentdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Exterminates? Are the Dalecs involved. Will Doctor Who save the port? Such a word for such a mondane thing.
    StrangeDaysanton zuykovslprescottlollivercalijony0
  • Reply 3 of 38
    I thought you needed HDMI 2.1 or higher to get full 4K video transmission. Or is 2.0 sufficient? Since this is a new product, surprised in any case that it's not 2.1.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) I noticed the GigE and the missing USB-C port. I had wondered if USB-C was just omitted from the images because it's for diagnostics only.

2) Has anyone noticed a need for more than 32GB in their Apple TV?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Exterminate.. Exterminate.... EXTERMINATE! Only the Doctor can save the Apple TV now. On a real note... how are we going to manually install apps such as Kodi, screenshots/recordings, and factory restore without the USB-C port?
    jbdragondoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 38
    rmfpdx said:
    I thought you needed HDMI 2.1 or higher to get full 4K video transmission. Or is 2.0 sufficient? Since this is a new product, surprised in any case that it's not 2.1.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Was kind of hoping they'd add back the optical connector or a second HDMI output to allow connection to the A/V receiver without having to use the receiver as a switcher for all sources. Oh well.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    I'm assuming Apple has a way to boot to AST for diagnostics like they do all other Apple products via either wireless or the network port so the USB-C port isn't necessary anymore. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 38
    foggyhill said:
    Exterminates? Are the Dalecs involved. Will Doctor Who save the port? Such a word for such a mondane thing.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Soli said:
    rmfpdx said:
    HDMI 2.1 isn't ready for retail yet. It probably won't get momentum until CES in January. And a nit: the listed specs say 2.0a, when I expected 2.0b considering the apparent HLG support.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    I found that when I connected my ATV4 via ethernet to my airport, that the ATV4 then couldn't use airplay via wifi. I simply removed the cable and all was fine.Go figure.

I like my ATV4. But when I upgraded a failed HDTV, I got a Smart Roku 4k at a good price. I was surprised at how much I like not diddling with the ATV4 connection, clumsy remote, and lack of single sign on. ATV4's FoxSportsGo app required daily login. The Roku smart version of that same app does not. At ths mpoint, I've exterminated my plan to buy a new ATV. YMMV.
    cornchipcali
  • Reply 12 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Yay! When I was calling for Gb Ethernet I was shot down. I’m happy Apple now has it, even though all the negative posting about hat kept saying that you didn’t need it - even for 4K.
    doozydozencali
  • Reply 13 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    eightzero said:
    I found that when I connected my ATV4 via ethernet to my airport, that the ATV4 then couldn't use airplay via wifi. I simply removed the cable and all was fine.Go figure.

I like my ATV4. But when I upgraded a failed HDTV, I got a Smart Roku 4k at a good price. I was surprised at how much I like not diddling with the ATV4 connection, clumsy remote, and lack of single sign on. ATV4's FoxSportsGo app required daily login. The Roku smart version of that same app does not. At ths mpoint, I've exterminated my plan to buy a new ATV. YMMV.
    It’s weird, because Apple has supported single sign on for some time now. Not every carrier supports it though. Verizon doesn’t, which is annoying, since I have everything with Fios.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    melgross said:
    Yay! When I was calling for Gb Ethernet I was shot down. I’m happy Apple now has it, even though all the negative posting about hat kept saying that you didn’t need it - even for 4K.
    You don't need it, but it's a welcome addition.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    The tech specification states it is simultaneous dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 11ac WiFi. Simultaneous means it has 2 WiFi radios inside.

If this is only ever a client device in a home network, it would not need to be simultaneous dual band, because the Apple TV is associated on only one network which is either 2.4GHz or 5GHz band (one or the other, not both simultaneously). 

So why have a second WiFi radio inside? It does not make sense.

However, if the second WiFi radio could be used as a WiFi access point, then things get more interesting. It has now a Gigabit ethernet. I think this Apple TV might have capacity to be a WiFi repeater or WiFi network extender. The Gigabit ethernet is more useful for this purpose, otherwise normal 100M ethernet would be enough.
    fastasleepdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 38
    The 4th Gen AppleTV should have had Gb-E ! It's about time. I even tried sending 4K .m4v files to the 4Th Gen Apple TV as a test, but the 100BaseT was a bottleneck, so this is not surprising.

edited September 2017 doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 38
    I'm surprised they didn't leave the USB port and open it for access to add a webcam w/mic and do FaceTime from TV, or other AR uses. Maybe not a big market right now, but certainly a capability that could drive further platform adoption. They could easily integrate it with tvOS games for social features, too. Seems like a missed opportunity.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 38
    I've brought a selection of apple tv's through the years and I stop at my current one. Until they sort out some UK Content. ITV Hub, All Four, 5 on demand etc....I'm done spending £150 ever 18months. I love Apple TV and many other Apple products, but sort out your contractual agreements with U.K. Mainstream TV. For what it's worth I've raised this with Apple. And before someone says it, airplaying from my phone is simply not the same. Sort this out Apple and I'm back onboard. I'm 6 months away from buying an amazing fire. Don't make me do it!!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 38
    It is unclear what Apple will do to supply direct connectivity for developers and device managers going forward, but network loading of software and configuration profiles seems probable.

That's what I was curious about. I think it's obvious they have a solution and I think it would be easy to add over wireless, which is how you do it with with watchOS albeit with a dedicated Watch app on your iPhone.

• Reply 20 of 38
    mike1 said:
    Was kind of hoping they'd add back the optical connector or a second HDMI output to allow connection to the A/V receiver without having to use the receiver as a switcher for all sources. Oh well.
    I just run my TV’s optical output to my receiver and never have to switch anything on it. All HDMI inputs go to the tv and out over optical regardless of input. Why would you need a second HDMI output on the ATV?