Should you preorder Apple's iPhone 8, or wait for the iPhone X?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    If you have the extra cash; go ahead and pick up an 8 to increase sales numbers and boost the stock. The used market should be hot since the phone is new and in demand.  Maybe a Samsung user will buy it and switch over?  Pick up an X model for sure also. 
  • Reply 22 of 44

If price isn't a concern, the obvious advantage of the X is its edge-to-edge, 5.8-inch OLED display -- which is not only bigger than what the 8 Plus has to offer, 

This is just not true. The X doesn't have a display bigger than the 8 Plus'. The display width is the same as the 8's: 375 logical pixels. With its 16:9 aspect ratio, the 8 Plus offers more width, which becomes a clear superiority to the X in landscape orientation.
    How on earth would the 8 Plus offer more width? If you are watching a movie on either the iPhone 8 Plus or X, it's going to be 16:9 aspect ratio. The only difference I imagine is there will be pillarboxing on the iPhone X since it has what I assume is an 18:9 aspect ratio. 
    See logical resolution in:

http://iosres.com

iPhone 8 Plus: 414x736
    iPhone 8: 375x667
    iPhone X: 375x812

• Reply 23 of 44
    sog35 said:

If price isn't a concern, the obvious advantage of the X is its edge-to-edge, 5.8-inch OLED display -- which is not only bigger than what the 8 Plus has to offer, 

This is just not true. The X doesn't have a display bigger than the 8 Plus'. The display width is the same as the 8's: 375 logical pixels. With its 16:9 aspect ratio, the 8 Plus offers more width, which becomes a clear superiority to the X in landscape orientation.
    WTF is logical pixels
    iPhone X
    2436x1125 @3x
    1125/3 = 375

iPhone 8
    1334x750 @2x
    750/2 = 375

That means the 8 and the X display exactly the same number of objects horizontally, with exactly the same size in pixels. When rotated to landscape and say for example when using a keyboard, the keyboard will be exactly the same size in both 8 and X, as well as the space left above keyboard where you type text. With iPhone 8 Plus, you will get more space above the keyboard to type text if you switch to landscape mode. With iPhone X you won't get that more space. 
    That explanation doesn't take into account pixel density which has a great effect on the actual size objects are rendered.  The X is scaling up at 3x while the 8 is scaling up at 2x, a 150% increase for the X.  However, the pixel density of the 8 is 326 so the X would need a pixel density of 489 to end up with the same actual size.  It is actually 458 which results in objects displaying larger on the X than on the 8.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    supadav03 said:
    Think I'm going for the Space Grey 256GB X. Only thing giving me any apprehension is Face ID. Not sold on this over Touch ID. I'd really like to try it first but I worried if I wait, I'll be waiting some time to finally get my phone. I'll probably just take the plunge knowing I have the option to switch to the 8 Plus if I hate Face ID.
    I'm going to get the iPhone 8 Plus but not because I have any worries about Face ID. What sells me on Face ID isn't the uneducated analysts and commenters slap against Craig's supposed failure when showing it on stage (it happens to every iPhone when it's first turned on, you have to enter your passcode) but the fluidity of the Animoji app. This can only work with a very good facial mapping capability. Add the AR use of the mask and I can see that Apple has a very good facial mapping capability that can easily be used with the Secure Enclave to provide better capabilities than Touch ID ever has. Yes, I'd like to see this capability on the 8 Plus but it's not offered. I have issue with my 6S home button so Touch ID doesn't always work for me. All I have to do is look at the iPhone X to engage the Face ID mapping components and it instantly either recognizes my face and unlock the phone or doesn't. That's how it should work and I can't wait for it to be approved for government use by DoD and the NSA. I could see Apple selling the iPhone X as a facial recognition system to unlock doors in government facilities if they ever provided the capability to allow lots of users along with the necessary software and hardware to unlock doors.

Apple, are you listening? I bet your Face ID hardware and software is at least as good or better than many of the products in use by the military and federal government. Give it a shot and see what happens!
  • Reply 25 of 44
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    I haven't seen any compelling reason to spend a thousand bucks on a new iPhone. My old one is going strong. I advise sticking with what you have until it can't do what you need, personally!
    cornchip
  • Reply 26 of 44
    spice-boy said:
    I'll wait for iPhone XII
    Why getting an inferior model, though?
    Just take a shortcut and wait for iPhone XX.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    512ke said:
    I haven't seen any compelling reason to spend a thousand bucks on a new iPhone. My old one is going strong. I advise sticking with what you have until it can't do what you need, personally!
    Oh, grandpa. 
    boogerman2000lostkiwiflashfan207
  • Reply 28 of 44

How on earth would the 8 Plus offer more width? If you are watching a movie on either the iPhone 8 Plus or X, it's going to be 16:9 aspect ratio. The only difference I imagine is there will be pillarboxing on the iPhone X since it has what I assume is an 18:9 aspect ratio. 
    The screen on the 8 Plus is 68 mm wide while the screen on the X is 62.5 mm wide.  If you are using it in landscape mode I guess you would refer to it as being taller in that instance.  The extra height in landscape mode gives roughly 20% more usable screen area when displaying 16:9 content.  The X is going to have about 10mm of black bars on each side of the screen.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Seems like if the new watch doesn't need a phone I really don't need 3 pieces of equipment!!
    Glad to eliminate the phone and just have a watch and an iPad
  • Reply 30 of 44
    fck iPhone 8. It's basically iPhone 7 with wireless charging. Nah, iPhone X is the one I will order.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Privacy critics have expressed worries that despite Apple's promises, Face ID may be less secure, for instance because police, criminals, or others could theoretically take your phone and just point it at you to unlock it.

Are you serious? Come on. If you close your eyes or look away, it doesn't work. Criminals or others may just point a gun on your head and you will volunteer to unlock it regardless what type of locking. For law enforcement, you're required by law to unlock it with biometric if required. You don't have to give the cop the PIN.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    My heart says X. 

My my wallet says NO.
    entropyslostkiwiflashfan207
  • Reply 33 of 44
    fallenjt said:
    fck iPhone 8. It's basically iPhone 7 with wireless charging. Nah, iPhone X is the one I will order.
    iPhone 8 series and X both have A11 Bionic chip. So X too is basically iPhone 7?
  • Reply 34 of 44
    512ke said:
    advice for you: LG X Charge on Xfinity for $1. It does all what a smartphone can do.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Here's hoping the iPhone 8/8+ doesn't become the red headed stepchild in Apple's iPhone product line. Not that Apple doesn't want to sell a gazillion X models at stratospheric margins, but a lot of time and effort went into bringing the 8s to market, they are significant upgrades over their predecessors, so having them immediately relegated to the back burner would be a shame. Apple's really created a dilemma for their sales force with the simultaneous launch of two distinctly different flagship-worthy products. I'd love to hear their strategy and messaging for how the sales staff is going to steer potential customers to one model over the other. I know that the Apple execs touted the iPhone X as their "future focused" product ... but Apple has always been about building future focused products across the board and the iPhone 8 isn't exactly a backward focused product. But they've kind of set it up that way despite the flowery introduction of the 8s. Once the iPhone X hit the stage on Tuesday all the praise leveled on the 8s dropped by 50% or more and its moment in the sun faded away. Poof. Now the Apple sales staff is left with the task of trying to sell the iPhone 8s in the deep dark shadow cast by the iPhone X. Sure, the 8s are cheaper but many Apple customers have never been shy about laying out the cash to own "the best." 

In retrospect Apple probably wanted to call the iPhone X the iPhone Pro but backed away because of the flak it's gotten recently over other "pro" products. Plus the 10-year anniversary of the iPhone gave them a defensible reason for moving to an X-branded product.

After all the dust settles I expect that Apple will wish that it had committed 100% of its resources to the iPhone X even if doing so imposed a momentary hit on this fall's release schedule and production challenges. The iPhone 8s now appear to be a fallback strategy and hedge against the engineering and production challenges related to the iPhone X. They took a big swing with the X but held the 8 in reserve - just in case. Now it appears that they surprised themselves by bringing the X to market at nearly the same time as the 8s. Both are still great products - but the 8s are a safety net that may no longer be required if Apple can produce the X at the volumes needed to meet the intense demand.

entropysarie
  • Reply 36 of 44
    fallenjt said:
    iPhone 8 series and X both have A11 Bionic chip. So X too is basically iPhone 7?
    Functionally, yes. Here's why:
    A11 is 25% faster than A10, but your normal use is only 30-50% capability of the A10. Then it is virtually the same phone.
    So, same form factor, same basic performance and same functionality = same phone.
    X is with Face ID, no Touch ID, different form factor, different design, better screen, more capabilities vs iPhone 8/7 = different phone.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    dewme said:
    Here's hoping the iPhone 8/8+ doesn't become the red headed stepchild in Apple's iPhone product line. Not that Apple doesn't want to sell a gazillion X models at stratospheric margins, but a lot of time and effort went into bringing the 8s to market, they are significant upgrades over their predecessors, so having them immediately relegated to the back burner would be a shame. Apple's really created a dilemma for their sales force with the simultaneous launch of two distinctly different flagship-worthy products. I'd love to hear their strategy and messaging for how the sales staff is going to steer potential customers to one model over the other. I know that the Apple execs touted the iPhone X as their "future focused" product ... but Apple has always been about building future focused products across the board and the iPhone 8 isn't exactly a backward focused product. But they've kind of set it up that way despite the flowery introduction of the 8s. Once the iPhone X hit the stage on Tuesday all the praise leveled on the 8s dropped by 50% or more and its moment in the sun faded away. Poof. Now the Apple sales staff is left with the task of trying to sell the iPhone 8s in the deep dark shadow cast by the iPhone X. Sure, the 8s are cheaper but many Apple customers have never been shy about laying out the cash to own "the best." 

In retrospect Apple probably wanted to call the iPhone X the iPhone Pro but backed away because of the flak it's gotten recently over other "pro" products. Plus the 10-year anniversary of the iPhone gave them a defensible reason for moving to an X-branded product.

After all the dust settles I expect that Apple will wish that it had committed 100% of its resources to the iPhone X even if doing so imposed a momentary hit on this fall's release schedule and production challenges. The iPhone 8s now appear to be a fallback strategy and hedge against the engineering and production challenges related to the iPhone X. They took a big swing with the X but held the 8 in reserve - just in case. Now it appears that they surprised themselves by bringing the X to market at nearly the same time as the 8s. Both are still great products - but the 8s are a safety net that may no longer be required if Apple can produce the X at the volumes needed to meet the intense demand.

They postponed taking pre-orders for the X most probably because they don't want the X shadow the sale of their flagship 8 series. In the forums and blogosphere the X may sell but in the streets this is the 8 series that will sell. It will be very difficult to explain to the walking by customers what the Face ID or AR are, but everyone already knows what a "fingerprint" is. Yes they defined the X as "the future" but they've built that future into the 8 series already.

So the 8 series is not a "safety net", this is a serious commitment to that form factor that hopefully will persist at least several years.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 38 of 44
    fallenjt said:
    fallenjt said:
    Functionally, yes. Here's why:
    A11 is 25% faster than A10, but your normal use is only 30-50% capability of the A10. Then it is virtually the same phone.
    So, same form factor, same basic performance and same functionality = same phone.
    X is with Face ID, no Touch ID, different form factor, different design, better screen, more capabilities vs iPhone 8/7 = different phone.
    How many of these "more capabilities" are not built into the 8 series?
  • Reply 39 of 44
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    dewme said:
    After all the dust settles I expect that Apple will wish that it had committed 100% of its resources to the iPhone X even if doing so imposed a momentary hit on this fall's release schedule and production challenges. ...

You've got to be kidding.

There have been 10+ articles on AI and other sites explaining that there is *no physical way* for Apple/Samsung, LG or anyone else, or even every supplier combined, to produce OLED screens in the ~ 170M quantity / year that Apple would need if they were "all in" on iPhone X ... and possibly the same for the other special bits within.

Without any inside info I would bet the house that Apple's teams of engineers have burned far more than the midnight oil to get these amazing products to where they are ... which is way ahead of the competition yet again.
    edited September 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Space gray 256GB.
    My 6 plus is getting a bit ragged (specifically, the home button is not as reliable as it one was.)
    I agree, that it is probably overkill for me and most who buy it, but, as evidenced by my current use of a model 6, I tend not to upgrade as frequently as some.  The X being the "top-of-the-line" should allow me to get the max use out of it. (I'd probably wait for next years X model if my current 6 weren't being difficult.)

If price were an issue, I'd be getting an SE.