First look: Apple Watch Series 3 and AirPower

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29

...As a marketing tool [the red dot], ...will be noticed (it does catch your attention more so than without it and might be a conversation starter) and remembered by nearby people and they will likely learn it's an Apple Watch. 
    It will contribute to the critical mass needed in public visibility to accelerate adoption of the watch much as the iPhone finally took off with critical mass adoption with the 3GS due to its visibility.. 

If the purpose of the red dot is solely to get others interested in purchasing the LTE version, Apple should be paying ME to wear it.

Hopefully, by the time I get one, somebody will have figured out the best type of paint to use to cover it up.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Assume Apple (although listing the carriers) will allow order of Cellular Series 3 watch WITHOUT having to choose a provider at that time, in other words can order cellular without carrier at check out ?
  • Reply 23 of 29
    There has been a lot of debate over the need for LTE in the Watch -- particularly from the outdoor cycling & running crowd.   Some feel that having LTE connectivity intrudes on their escape from reality time.

For me, I welcome it because I won't run or bike or even cut my grass without the ability to call for help if I need it.

But, there is another need for the Series 3 LTE that I haven't heard mentioned anywhere:
    Older adults who live alone and need a way to call for help.  For the past 20 years or so that was supplied by contraptions and systems such as "LifeLine" where the person wore a necklace that was, in effect, a cordless telephone -- and they could simply push a button to call for help.

The Apple Watch would provide an even better way of doing that without the obnoxious and obtrusive necklace for less money!  And, in addition, Apple could conceivably even be able to program the watch to make its calls automatically based on a health crisis such as lack of heart beat, low SpO2 levels, low blood sugar, or even a fall
    fotoformatargonaut
  • Reply 24 of 29
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    Yeah, I think I might finally need to spring for an Apple Watch. Although I think I'll take a Sharpie and put a black dot over the red dot to make it less conspicuous. Is there any data on the impact of cellular on battery life and/or if you can deactivate it when you have your phone with you? The big thing I worry about with the cellular version is that it would make a big hit on the battery.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Rayz2016 said:
    Can you roll up the mat?

and what does AirPower give you over the Qi standard?
    Apparently, the AirPower is the first Qi device that can charge multiple devices.
  • Reply 26 of 29

eightzero said:
    My recollection from the event was a mention of the wireless charging in the car. Might be spiffy, but CarPlay generally requires a hard connection to the CarPlay head. 
    Car audio manufacturers are starting to release AirPlay wireless connections for CarPlay
  • Reply 27 of 29

normang said:
    I find it odd to complain about using the existing cables, sure, there are always ways to perhaps make things more convenient, but if your really that slow to plan to go somewhere overnight, vacation, etc without having the ability to keep your devices charged, that's pretty silly, how do you really "forget" that.. To me, again, why in the world is AirPower not available NOW, why in the world is it 6 months out.
    I would imagine getting UL and CE approval is pretty tough for a wireless charging device. And those standards organizations are notorious for not being able to complete and approve devices on time.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    wildcat_1 said:
    Assume Apple (although listing the carriers) will allow order of Cellular Series 3 watch WITHOUT having to choose a provider at that time, in other words can order cellular without carrier at check out ?
    When I bought my watch on the Apple Store app, there was no indication of a provider - although they already know the provider of service for my iPhone .,..
  • Reply 29 of 29
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    elehcdn said:
    wildcat_1 said:
    When I bought my watch on the Apple Store app, there was no indication of a provider - although they already know the provider of service for my iPhone .,..
    I checked with Apple and they told me I did not have to activate LTE on the Series 3 LTE watch to use it.  Mine is on order based upon their statement.