AirPods Wireless Charging Case an add-on, release date and pricing unknown

Posted:
in General Discussion
While there is a Qi-compatible AirPods Wireless Charging Case coming, it does not appear to be included with the default SKU of the AirPods for the foreseeable future -- and the pricing of the peripheral is unknown.

Phil Schiller said on stage during the Sept. 12 release event that the "optional new AirPods Wireless Charging Case" could be placed on the forthcoming AirPower charging dock. Little is actually known about the Apple's charging pad, or the AirPods accessory.

AppleInsider staff examined both following the release event. The AirPods Wireless Charging case is functionally identical to the one that comes with the AirPods now, but with the green charging light on the exterior of the case instead of under the lid. The existing AirPods case has exposed metal on the back -- which appears to be absent on the pre-release versions of the new case.

Beyond the AirPods Wireless Charging Case, the AirPower pad itself will enable wireless charging for the iPhone 8 and iPhone X, and the Series 3 Apple Watch. At this point, it is unclear if any combination of the three can be used on the pad, or how precisely the devices need to be placed on the pad.

Not only is pricing on the AirPods Wireless Charging Case unknown, so is any specific availability date. Presumably the case will be available around the same time that Apple's AirPower pad is shipping -- but should Apple decide to ship sooner, it would be compatible with an array of third party charging accessories available now.

AppleInsider spoke with sources inside Apple not authorized to speak for the company, and was told that pricing on the peripheral had not been decided yet. Our sources declined to provide us a range of prices that were being considered, nor did they discuss even a vague timetable for release.

For comparison, Apple services venues currently charge $69 for a lost AirPods charging case.

Also unclear is if the Qi spec that Apple has implemented will support beyond 7.5W. The Belkin Qi pad revealed on Tuesday is limited to 7.5W for one device, but the newest version of the Qi spec allows for 15W.
[Deleted User]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    "iPhone X, the future of smartphones," says every media outlet. While I agree, limiting wireless charging to 7.5W cannot be consider future-proof. 
  • Reply 2 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    "iPhone X, the future of smartphones," says every media outlet. While I agree, limiting wireless charging to 7.5W cannot be consider future-proof. 
    1) Isn't that what other common Qi pads max out at today?

2) Isn't the iPhone still shipping with a 5W charger?

PS: I wonder if this fine print means both new phones still come with a USB 2.0/USB-A cable and PSU.

"Testing conducted by Apple in August 2017 using preproduction iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus units and software and accessory Apple USB-C Power Adapters (29W Model A1540, 61W Model A1718, 87W Model A1719)."

"Testing conducted by Apple in August 2017 using preproduction iPhone X units and software and accessory Apple USB-C Power Adapters (29W Model A1540, 61W Model A1718, 87W Model A1719)"
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 3 of 15
    What is this future-proof of which you speak?
    lolliverwatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 15
    This is an example of something from the Event that smells a little like a last minute addition so that they had something other than the leaks to announce. Kind of un-Apple-esque to announce things so nebulously. 
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Well, for starters, Qi already bumped their specification to 15W prior to the new iphones' release. So it's behind before it even hits the streets. (I know there could be technical reasons limited by thermal regulation, as wells as the iPhones may have been finalized before the bump in Qi specs, etc.) I'm just pointing out the issue in calling something "the future of smartphones" when currently it lacks what's available today. Sometimes Apple includes tech, like MacBook Pros getting early access to Intel chips which helps enforce the product's future-proofing. Apple gets the freedom to dictate the state of future-proofing by sheer volume of sales. 3rd party companies do not give up on certain standards prematurely, like stop producing 7W Qi wireless chargers when they could just produce 15W models instead because the larger user base of iPhone 8, 8 plus and X customers will drive the market to keep producing a inferior product because the consumers need them. Yes, I know, 15W Qi standard is backwards comparable, but the poor user experience of 7.5W will fall out of vogue quickly with consumers, thus lack future-proofing from a UX perspective. 
  • Reply 6 of 15
    matimassumatimassu Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Why just Apple Watch Series 3 could be charged in the Airpower?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    matimassu said:
    The Qi induction charging standard, I assume, which makes me wonder why Apple didn't use Qi in the other Apple Watches. It's not like Qi hasn't been the de facto standard. Even Apple is seeing how universal wireless charging is good for everyone with Shiller's(?) statement that they will submit their AirPower multi-device charging solution to Qi to add to their standard.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 15
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    matimassu said:
    Depends on which charging standard it uses. Are the Series 1 or 2 compatible with Qi?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    anome said:
    matimassu said:
    Depends on which charging standard it uses. Are the Series 1 or 2 compatible with Qi?

lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 15
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Soli said:
    matimassu said:
    The Qi induction charging standard, I assume, which makes me wonder why Apple didn't use Qi in the other Apple Watches. It's not like Qi hasn't been the de facto standard. Even Apple is seeing how universal wireless charging is good for everyone with Shiller's(?) statement that they will submit their AirPower multi-device charging solution to Qi to add to their standard.

Damn, ninja'd. Although I genuinely didn't know, it just seemed the most likely explanation, which is why I asked.

It's hard to say why Apple didn't go with Qi all along, it would have made things easier, but it's also not the first time they've gone their own way on something like this, only to change their minds later.

(BTW: Never been much of a fan of Little Britain, and I tend to find Walliams particularly annoying. I have liked some stuff Matt Lucas has done since then, though.)

• Reply 11 of 15
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Apple please announce AirPods 2 with swiping gestures. Swipe up or down on AirPods for volume. Tap left Airpod for previous track, tap right AirPod for next. 

It's the future as in what the iKnockoffs will stumble over each other to match....but fail.

It's the future as in the first iPhone model to set the standard for next generation iPhone models. (All iPhones have looked the same since the original)

I can't comprehend how you misinterpreted that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    It's all about Bluetooth 5 with 2x faster and 4x more coverage and the ability to stream audio to 2 speakers, this will make Apple connected devices more reliable and better
    Well, for starters, Qi already bumped their specification to 15W prior to the new iphones' release. So it's behind before it even hits the streets. (I know there could be technical reasons limited by thermal regulation, as wells as the iPhones may have been finalized before the bump in Qi specs, etc.) I'm just pointing out the issue in calling something "the future of smartphones" when currently it lacks what's available today. Sometimes Apple includes tech, like MacBook Pros getting early access to Intel chips which helps enforce the product's future-proofing. Apple gets the freedom to dictate the state of future-proofing by sheer volume of sales. 3rd party companies do not give up on certain standards prematurely, like stop producing 7W Qi wireless chargers when they could just produce 15W models instead because the larger user base of iPhone 8, 8 plus and X customers will drive the market to keep producing a inferior product because the consumers need them. Yes, I know, 15W Qi standard is backwards comparable, but the poor user experience of 7.5W will fall out of vogue quickly with consumers, thus lack future-proofing from a UX perspective. 
    We don't know for sure what is the limitations of NOT adopting certain things, for example why the new Watch series 3 doesn't have Bluetooth 5? I was really waiting for all theses iPhones, Watches and AirPods to adopt BT5 so we can have more speed, range, and the ability to stream to 2 speakers, etc but they didn't put that at least the new watches that I'm certain about. But this is Apple, so you either buy their things or you don't there is no other options unfortunately
    edited September 2017 doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    cali said:
    Apple please announce AirPods 2 with swiping gestures. Swipe up or down on AirPods for volume. Tap left Airpod for previous track, tap right AirPod for next. 

It's the future as in what the iKnockoffs will stumble over each other to match....but fail.

It's the future as in the first iPhone model to set the standard for next generation iPhone models. (All iPhones have looked the same since the original)

I can't comprehend how you misinterpreted that. 
    Hard time with comprehension? I prefaced my statement with, "while I agree," I'm just playing devil's advocate by pointing out the issue in calling something "the future of smartphones" when currently it lacks what's available today. Like how the Series 3 AW does not include BT5.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Hi all,

I am also searching around to find an AirPods case supporting wireless charging feature, sorry, I can't wait till AirPods 2018 laid on Apple Store.

Any suggestion?
    [Deleted User]