First look: Hands-on with Apple's iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 141 of 436
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    tshapi said:
    schlack said:
    Interesting to see that Apple now has a phone lineup that spans from $350 to $1150, wow. That $1150 price point feels just absurd. Will be interesting to see how this sells. I guess I'll be holding on to my (perfectly awesome) iPhone 7 for at least another year or two.
    The sad part is believe it or not the iPhone X will probably be successful.  Take into account how many people here blindly decree "wallet open,take my money Apple" on simple rumors. 
    That’s stupid. You’re condemning a very large number of people because you’re either too cheap to buy something yourself, or you’re jealous over the fact, or you just aren’t happy about whatever Apple does. I just don’t understand people like you. Why can’t you just say that it’s too expensive for you, and you’re not interested in what it does?

that leaves the onus on you, where it should be, and not on Apple, where it shouldn’t be. There are always going to be products with features that people don’t understand, and products at prices that are too expensive for them to buy. That not the fault of the products, or the companies that make them. I can’t afford an Aston Martin, but that doesn’t mean that’s it’s sad that people who can afford them, buy them, or appreciate the features, or the way it rides or looks.
    StrangeDaysradarthekatpscooter63netmagebrucemc
  • Reply 142 of 436
    tshapi said:
    There are two ways to look at it, Face id takes off and next year Apple ditches Touch ID in the standard iPhone. Or face id flops and Apple has an extra year to figure out how to built the Touch ID into the next generation iPhone X 
    FaceID has the benefit of at least being more secure simply because it's using far more data points compared to TouchID.  I'm not sure it will flop so much as to people challenging Apple for making it too easy for bad actors (including the police) to unlock the iPhone to gain access.
  • Reply 143 of 436
    tzeshan said:
    How do you answer a phone call at night?  Do you have to open the light?
    it’s never been necessary to unlock an iphone to answer a call. you have one, right? or used one?
    fastasleepnetmagebrucemc
  • Reply 144 of 436

kevin kee said:
    Let’s talk about the camera new ability: portrait lightning and 3D scene. Are there any real world tests yet?
    great demo of the TrueDepth camera system with virtual scenes here (at the 7:58 mark):

https://youtu.be/9pOTNQk9Xb8
    kevin kee
  • Reply 145 of 436
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:

sog35 said:
    rattlhed said:
    Am I the only one that's disappointed with the memory configurations on both the iPhone 8 and X?  64GB and 256GB?  What happened to 128GB?  Last year was the first year I opted for a 128GB iPhone.  Seemed like a perfect price point between plenty of storage without being too expensive.  Dropping 128 this year is quite disappointing.  No way I can go backwards to 64, so if I want to upgrade I have to opt for the most expensive model.  I really think the phones should have been 128 (for the price of 64) and 256. I guess this is the way they get all those millions of phones they sold in the last couple of years at 128 to opt for the most expensive models.  bummer.
    paying $50 more for 128 additional GB is a great deal.

If a 128GB phone was available it would have been $1099.   With more 4k video and larger photo's you will be happy you bought the 256GB phone.
    Which is why Apple does it. Phil Schiller’s middle name is upsell.
    Nonsense. There's a low-end capacity, and a high-end (4x more). Which do you need? Low end needs? Great, get the low-end capacity. High-end needs? Great, get the high-end capacity for 150 more. Which type of user are you?
    Just maybe he was the one in the middle?

You know, low, mid, high?

It's upsell. Trying to spin it any other way is foolish IMO.

One in the middle?

The Samsung S8 only come with 64GB. Thats it.

Why the hell are you grumbling about the iPhone having 2 storage sizes while the competition only has one?
    Could it have something to do with the user being able to add up to 256GB of their choice?
    SD cards are not a good alternative to on board memory.

i can say the same thing that Apple offers iCloud space.

Just stop.

Name me another phone brand that gives 3 storage tiers on their FLAGSHIP?
    SD cards are perfect for adding to onboard memory.

They also make tiers far less of an issue and that is precisely why many Android phones have just one onboard memory allocation.

In fact 'tiers' themselves aren't the issue here. The issue is upsell, although as you seem to have quickly and conveniently forgotten, I said with a base of 32GB or 64GB is nowhere near as problematic as before.
  • Reply 146 of 436
    Can someone explain why iPhone X and iPad Pro don’t ship with lightning to usb-c? iPhone X supports fast charging but only with a usb-c adapter.
    That’s something I don’t get either. Apple could make all of its new chargers with a USB C jack, and include lightning to USB C cables. I don’t know why they’re not doing that.

but then, I don’t know why they insist on giving 5 watt chargers in this day and age. Every review I read, their phones and tablets are among the slowest to charge with the included chargers, despite that they charge a lot faster with bigger ones. The only device I use a 5 watt charger on is my Apple Watch. My phones use my old 10 and 12 watt iPad chargers. They charge must faster. I have the 29 watt Macbook charger, and cable for my iPad Pro 12.9”. Seriously, it’s really needed, or charging seems to take forever.
    rogifan_newfastasleepnetmagebrucemc
  • Reply 147 of 436
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

sog35 said:
    rattlhed said:
    Am I the only one that's disappointed with the memory configurations on both the iPhone 8 and X?  64GB and 256GB?  What happened to 128GB?  Last year was the first year I opted for a 128GB iPhone.  Seemed like a perfect price point between plenty of storage without being too expensive.  Dropping 128 this year is quite disappointing.  No way I can go backwards to 64, so if I want to upgrade I have to opt for the most expensive model.  I really think the phones should have been 128 (for the price of 64) and 256. I guess this is the way they get all those millions of phones they sold in the last couple of years at 128 to opt for the most expensive models.  bummer.

If a 128GB phone was available it would have been $1099.   With more 4k video and larger photo's you will be happy you bought the 256GB phone.
    Nonsense. There's a low-end capacity, and a high-end (4x more). Which do you need? Low end needs? Great, get the low-end capacity. High-end needs? Great, get the high-end capacity for 150 more. Which type of user are you?

Not half as foolish as an Android user trying to bag on Apple on an Apple site all day, but that's just my opinion.

Let me revise my terms -- Apple sells three other models (7, 6s, SE) that have options for 32gb. 32gb, which is by definition the low-end capacity. The new 8 and X are flagships phones and come in 64gb and 256gb. 64 is double the low-end capacity and is by definition medium-capacity, and 256gb is high-capacity. Thus the flagship devices come in medium- and high-capacity only. So now that they've eliminated low-end on the flagship devices, you're going to complain about there not being a mid-medium-capacity? That's beyond reason.

It's just proof that no matter what, people will complain. Even if they're using Android knockoffs and have no intention to buy any of the new devices.

avon b7 said:

sog35 said:
    rattlhed said:

Not half as foolish as an Android user trying to bag on Apple on an Apple site all day, but that's just my opinion.

Let me revise my terms -- Apple sells three other models (7, 6s, SE) that have options for 32gb. 32gb, which is by definition the low-end capacity. The new 8 and X are flagships phones and come in 64gb and 256gb. 64 is double the low-end capacity and is by definition medium-capacity, and 256gb is high-capacity. Thus the flagship devices come in medium- and high-capacity only. So now that they've eliminated low-end on the flagship devices, you're going to complain about there not being a mid-medium-capacity? That's beyond reason.

It's just proof that no matter what, people will complain. Even if they're using Android knockoffs and have no intention to buy any of the new devices.

It's still upsell. However you paint it.

And you obviously haven't been paying attention today. I have been praising Apple, in part, just for what you mention (the new price spread). I even defended the notch and haven't had anything much to say on the price of the X.

Yee ha!
    Why do you think Apple needs the 6S? Who cares if there is a $200 price difference between the SE and the 7? What happened to good > better > best?
    I'm not a big fan of this new system but I prefer it to 'good, better, best' as it gives users lots of options at lots of price points.

If you absolutely want an iPhone you can surely find something to your price/memory requirements as long as you don't mind older tech at the low end. That's why I'm not a fan of this but I will give Apple some slack because at least it's a start.

I explained why I think they took this route in another post. I think it's the right direction.
  • Reply 148 of 436
    MplsP said:

For those bemoaning the "High Price" of the iPhone X...

A loaded iPhone 8 Plus costs $45.75 per month under the IUP.  A loaded iPhone X costs $56.16 -- $10.41 per month more for the very best!
    That's exactly how companies want you to think about it - divide what you're paying into smaller, more frequent amounts to make it seem smaller. The bottom line is you're still paying over 40% more to get an iPhone X vs an iPhone 8. Even more than that if you finance it with a credit card like a lot of people unfortunately do. 
    Where do you get over 40%? It’s about 20%. Do the arithmetic. And you don’t have to pay more using your credit card. Just use it responsibly, and pay it off every month, the way you should be. You’re not supposed to use a credit card to buy things you can’t afford, and pay the minimum so that you pay high interest charges. You CAN use it that way, and many people do, but it’s not the right thing to do.
    SpamSandwichmacseekerradarthekatpscooter63netmagebrucemc
  • Reply 149 of 436

avon b7 said:
    rattlhed said:
    The fact that it was at the perfect price point is precisely why it doesn't exist. It's Apple's way of nudging you into the more expensive model.

It is pure evil but at least 64GB is usable. In the days when it was 16GB or 64GB it was far worse of 16GB was the only one you could afford.
    For most people, 64GB is plenty. I’ve read a number of articles that said that Apple found that most people either bought the lowest configuration, or the highest. Not everyone, but most. So it makes sense to raise the minimum, giving greater value, cut the middle out, and give a good price for a lot more. That’s exactly what they did here. It used to be $100 more from 16 to 32, remember? Then another $100 to 64. This is really good pricing these days.

unfortunately, prices for NAND have been rising for a year now, and it’s expected to continue to at least mid year, next year, when new plants will come online.
    fastasleepStrangeDaysnetmage
  • Reply 150 of 436

avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    jasenj1 said:
    sog35 said:
    The iPhone X is the most amazing single piece of hardware EVER. EVER.
    It doesn't have a memory card slot. Maybe not important to you, but important to many.
    nope.

memory card slot is important to a very very small percentage of iPhone users.
    I think opinions would change if Apple added a memory card option and justified it by saying the technology wasn't right for us until now. ;-)
    iPhone users don’t want memory cards. Please, if you do, just go away, and keep your Samsung. This is not a real topic here. It ended 8 years ago.
    tmayanantksundaramfastasleepStrangeDaysmacseekerradarthekatpscooter63netmagebrucemc
  • Reply 151 of 436

avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:

sog35 said:
    rattlhed said:

One in the middle?

Why the hell are you grumbling about the iPhone having 2 storage sizes while the competition only has one?
    Could it have something to do with the user being able to add up to 256GB of their choice?
    Even on Android forums this is a sorry topic. There, you see arguments on why Samsung doesn’t support the unified memory model that Google has been pushing. Would you like to comment on that, without first having to hurry and read up on it first?
    tmayanantksundaramStrangeDaysnetmagebrucemc
  • Reply 152 of 436
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    jasenj1 said:
    sog35 said:
    The iPhone X is the most amazing single piece of hardware EVER. EVER.
    It doesn't have a memory card slot. Maybe not important to you, but important to many.
    nope.

memory card slot is important to a very very small percentage of iPhone users.
    I think opinions would change if Apple added a memory card option and justified it by saying the technology wasn't right for us until now. ;-)
    Will never happen. It's been a decade. Normals dont care, give it up.
    It was largely a decade with expensive prices too and while yourself and others said that Apple would never bring prices down because Apple was a premium priced vendor bla, bla, even though I explained my reasons for them needing to do so in my opinion, and backing it up with industry numbers.

Now take a look at the product matrix and tell me if the lower ground isn't important to them.

I am not saying that Apple will include SD cards. I am saying that if they did you would find a way to justify it and for not having done so until that moment.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 153 of 436
     Rayz2016 said:
    Seems that this "Steve wouldn't have done/liked this" crap is still a popular hissyfit round here. 

If you don't like what Apple is doing then fine; but don't try and make your argument with that tired old meme. You didn't know the guy, so it's just embarrassing. 

Fine -- lets phrase it this way--- IMO (In my opinion) historically I can infer by past interviews, design criteria etc---  Jonny I and Steve J has shown a preference  for smooth continuity lines, low key aesthetics etc etc. so for the iPhone X to have donkey ear tabs screen that sticks out like crazy-- it seems incredible and not too far fetched Steve would have said 'this is crap'.

During that whole damn presentation video I'm staring at those ears (should call it the Dumbo phone).... wait that's it, that's why they did it---- To keep the phone in unlock, they have you staring into those ugly fugly sensors/donkey ears. Knew there was a rationale reason to make it so ugly... whew-- way to go Apple! /s

BTW- with present Touch id, I can unlock and hand the phone over for someone to see pictures etc, or that person can text or look  up something while Im driving etc. Will that be possible if FaceID is engaged?

• Reply 154 of 436
    melgross said:
    REALLY? REALLY? People were CLAPPING when Schiller told them that you now can't access your MONEY or any of your personal info without FACIAL RECOGNITION?

Are you still going to be clapping when the government takes away YOUR ABILITY TO ACCESS YOUR OWN MONEY because it considers you a "terrorist threat" or says you have an "illegal" political view?

Steve Jobs would NEVER have condoned this BIG BROTHER crap, you know it. This is the creepiest thing since the fingerprint BS in the iPhone 5, 6 and 7. Apple is changing for sure, and not in a good way.

I don't want to have to wear a watch that reports how healthy I am and how much money I have to "the cloud." You might as well ask how much SLAVE LIFE a person has left in them.
    You really live up to your screen name don’t you?

what are you talking about? Do you even know? Apple is going for more security, not less. You know that you don’t have to use any biometric security if you don’t want to. You can stick to the password.
    "Rumor has it" that Apple couldn't get the fingerprint scanner in the display technology to work, so I'm hoping this means a future version of this phone actually will have such a capability. A combination of Touch ID, Face ID and password would be pretty hard to beat.
    Yes, we know that too. And I’m one who is still disappointed that they couldn’t get it working. I won’t suddenly change my opinion about that. But we’ll have to see how well this works in the “real world”. I was concerned that we would have to hold the phone straight up, and at a specific distance. That doesnt seen to be true.

i’m less concerned than I was, and this has to do with Apple Pay. While someone said that you had to open the Apple Pay app manually, I don’t see why we would. Maybe I missed that in the presentation, but I hope not. If I can get the phone out of my belt holder, move it up, face up, as I do anyway when using Apple Pay, it faces my face at an angle. If I just have to move it to the scanner and press the side button twice, then it’s about as easy as before. I see no reason why anything else would be different. Face scan unlocks Apple Pay as before, and it should open it as before. The rest is just a double click.

i’m still coming to grips with this. It’s an in between year for us here, so we haven’t had plans to buy new phones this year. Unless it suddenly becomes compelling, and the photo features are pretty compelling, we’ll wait until next year, when much of this will be settled.

but, both my wife and daughter very surprisingly want the Apple Watch Series 3 with cell. That really was a surprise, so maybe I’ll upgrade mine too, instead of next year.
  • Reply 155 of 436
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:

sog35 said:
    rattlhed said:

One in the middle?

SD cards are not a good alternative to on board memory.

i can say the same thing that Apple offers iCloud space.

Just stop.

Name me another phone brand that gives 3 storage tiers on their FLAGSHIP?
    SD cards are perfect for adding to onboard memory.

They also make tiers far less of an issue and that is precisely why many Android phones have just one onboard memory allocation.

In fact 'tiers' themselves aren't the issue here. The issue is upsell, although as you seem to have quickly and conveniently forgotten, I said with a base of 32GB or 64GB is nowhere near as problematic as before.
    Android makers do it because it makes their devices seem cheaper, which is, after all, a major issue for Android buyers. But buying cheap flash slows your device down. So you have fast (for Android) Flash in your phone, and then slow flash in a card. Great! And if you have more than one card, and you forget the right card, or lose it, you’ve got problems. But fast Flash is expensive, and according to reviews, Apple uses very fast flash, and a very fast memory subsystem.

sony has just come out with a new fast 256GB flash card. How much does it cost - $350!

it makes Apple’s $150 for 192GB pretty modest.

edited September 2017 fastasleepStrangeDaysradarthekatpscooter63
  • Reply 156 of 436
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    REALLY? REALLY? People were CLAPPING when Schiller told them that you now can't access your MONEY or any of your personal info without FACIAL RECOGNITION?

Are you still going to be clapping when the government takes away YOUR ABILITY TO ACCESS YOUR OWN MONEY because it considers you a "terrorist threat" or says you have an "illegal" political view?

Steve Jobs would NEVER have condoned this BIG BROTHER crap, you know it. This is the creepiest thing since the fingerprint BS in the iPhone 5, 6 and 7. Apple is changing for sure, and not in a good way.

I don't want to have to wear a watch that reports how healthy I am and how much money I have to "the cloud." You might as well ask how much SLAVE LIFE a person has left in them.
    You really live up to your screen name don’t you?

what are you talking about? Do you even know? Apple is going for more security, not less. You know that you don’t have to use any biometric security if you don’t want to. You can stick to the password.
    "Rumor has it" that Apple couldn't get the fingerprint scanner in the display technology to work, so I'm hoping this means a future version of this phone actually will have such a capability. A combination of Touch ID, Face ID and password would be pretty hard to beat.
    Yes, we know that too. And I’m one who is still disappointed that they couldn’t get it working. I won’t suddenly change my opinion about that. But we’ll have to see how well this works in the “real world”. I was concerned that we would have to hold the phone straight up, and at a specific distance. That doesnt seen to be true.

i’m less concerned than I was, and this has to do with Apple Pay. While someone said that you had to open the Apple Pay app manually, I don’t see why we would. Maybe I missed that in the presentation, but I hope not. If I can get the phone out of my belt holder, move it up, face up, as I do anyway when using Apple Pay, it faces my face at an angle. If I just have to move it to the scanner and press the side button twice, then it’s about as easy as before. I see no reason why anything else would be different. Face scan unlocks Apple Pay as before, and it should open it as before. The rest is just a double click.

i’m still coming to grips with this. It’s an in between year for us here, so we haven’t had plans to buy new phones this year. Unless it suddenly becomes compelling, and the photo features are pretty compelling, we’ll wait until next year, when much of this will be settled.

but, both my wife and daughter very surprisingly want the Apple Watch Series 3 with cell. That really was a surprise, so maybe I’ll upgrade mine too, instead of next year.
    This is the first year I'm seriously considering an Apple Watch based on the upgrades. I think that product has really found its niche.
    tmayMplsP
  • Reply 157 of 436
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    tzeshan said:
    How do you answer a phone call at night?  Do you have to open the light?
    it’s never been necessary to unlock an iphone to answer a call. you have one, right? or used one?
    I am not sure because I never use passcode or TouchID to lock. 
  • Reply 158 of 436
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I wonder if Apple’s virtual corner-to-corner measuring of display length on the diagonal will result in DisplayGate since it’s not 5.8" if you go to the edges of the rounded corners.
    edited September 2017 randominternetperson
  • Reply 159 of 436
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

sog35 said:
    rattlhed said:

Before the iPhone event, it was Snagdragon 835, and face recognition, and under screen touch ID, and Kirin 970 and AI processor, all from the usual Android loving suspects on AI.

Now all these losers are left with is complaining about "upsell" storage, and why isn'r removable storage a thing with Apple.

Post Apple Event Headline;

"Apple gives impressive beatdown to rivals posing as tech companies".

Nope. You will remember, if you bother to take a moment, that what has been celebrated is COMPETITION.

IMO, the only reason the new iPhone price spread is so wide now, is the result of competition. It is the sole reason but supported by Apple's desire to widen the user base to which it can offer services.

You will also remember that this particular Android (and iOS!) user also bet on Apple including an NPU, the notch and even the elimination of black as an option.

This particular user also argued for, and backed up, Apple needing to move down through the pricing tiers (something that was basically met with howls of disbelief and accusations of trolling), only for Apple to leave us with a completely revamped pricing lineup that now covers 379€ up through to, and over 1000€ on possibly the widest spread of active hardware it has ever offered.

This 'loser' was somehow able to get so much right but isn't smug about it because he never said any of this would happen.

He simply gave an opinion and bet on some options while others jumped up and down emphatically affirming 'this' or 'that' would never happen. So sure of themselves and happy to try and discredit other users - just as you just did with your 'losers' comment.

Weird how some people just can't accept another person's opinions (and simply offer their own) without disparaging the original opinion.

edited September 2017
  • Reply 160 of 436
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

sog35 said:
    rattlhed said:

Before the iPhone event, it was Snagdragon 835, and face recognition, and under screen touch ID, and Kirin 970 and AI processor, all from the usual Android loving suspects on AI.

Now all these losers are left with is complaining about "upsell" storage, and why isn'r removable storage a thing with Apple.

Post Apple Event Headline;

"Apple gives impressive beatdown to rivals posing as tech companies".

Nope. You will remember, if you bother to take a moment, that what has been celebrated is COMPETITION.

IMO, the only reason the new iPhone price spread is so wide now, is the result of competition. It is the sole reason but supported by Apple's desire to widen the user base to which it can offer services.

You will also remember that this particular Android (and iOS!) user also bet on Apple including an NPU, the notch and even the elimination of black as an option.

This particular user also argued for, and backed up, Apple needing to move down through the pricing tiers (something that was basically met with howls of disbelief and accusations of trolling), only for Apple to leave us with a completely revamped pricing lineup that now covers 379€ up through to, and over 1000€ on possibly the widest spread of active hardware it has ever offered.

This 'loser' was somehow able to get so much right but isn't smug about it because he never said any of this would happen.

He simply gave an opinion and bet on some options while others jumped up and down emphatically affirming 'this' or 'that' would never happen. So sure of themselves and happy to try and discredit other users - just as you just did with your 'losers' comment.

Weird how some people just can't accept another person's opinions (and simply offer their own) without disparaging the original opinion.

Not everything is an opinion. Much of what people post are “feelings”. In other words, thoughts based not on knowledge and experience, but desire for what they’re thinking to be correct. We don’t have to treat those as opinions, because they’re not. And some people are out and out trolls. I don’t consider you to be, or I wouldn’t respond to you, even though you’re mostly negative.
    fastasleepbrucemc