Quick charging the iPhone 8 and iPhone X requires at least $70 in accessory purchases

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple says that the iPhone 8 and iPhone X will charge from completely depleted to 50 percent in 30 minutes -- but what it omits is that it requires additional purchases to do so, from a narrow range of vendors.

During Tuesday's release event, Apple briefly noted that both of its new phones had quick charging, allowing a user to return to action relatively quickly after draining a device. However, the 5W adapter that is included with both the iPhone 8 and iPhone X is not up to the task.

Apple notes that it's line of USB-C chargers such as that needed for the MacBook and MacBook Pro are required for the feature, and a USB-C to Lightning cable. The AC adapter runs between $49 an $79, with Apple's cable retailing for $25 for the one-meter version and $35 for the two-meter run.

So far, Apple has not been forthcoming if the Thunderbolt 3 ports on the 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro can be used to quick charge an iPhone 8 or iPhone X. Apple's Qi charging capability will not provide sufficient power at 7.5W, and not likely if the equipment is capable of the 15W provided by the newest specification of the protocol.

The whole affair is reminiscent of long charging times with Apple's standard iPad chargers. In order to charge the 12.9-inch iPad faster than it can be depleted while under heavy load, a USB-C adapter is required as well.

At this juncture, it is not clear specifically which third party accessories that comply with the USB-PD protocol embedded into the USB-C spec will work. AppleInsider has proven in-house that the $50 street price Anker USB Tyoe-C 5-port 60W wall charger works with a first generation iPad Pro and a 15-inch 2016 MacBook Pro in clamshell mode, and is fully compliant with USB-PD -- but Apple's 29W adapter is the same price.

Apple and Belkin are about the only game in town right now for reliable USB-C to Lightning cables. Some other third-party options have popped up at various vendors, but reliability and durability are hard to assess.

However, we have had less luck with other vendors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member

Apple and Belkin are about the only game in town right now for reliable USB-C to Lightning cables. Some other third-party options have popped up at various vendors, but reliability and durability are hard to assess.

I've bought several third-party USB-C to Lightning cables on Amazon over the past six months, all under $10, and they've been absolutely flawless. For example https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01G1SKCPC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Reply 2 of 35
    Did I miss it...the article does not state how much Watts the iPhone 8 lineup and iPhone X can take...up to 87W?! What is their max?
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 3 of 35
    flydog said:

I've bought several third-party USB-C to Lightning cables on Amazon over the past six months, all under $10, and they've been absolutely flawless. For example https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01G1SKCPC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are also plenty of low cost but terrible cables on Amazon.  Why take the risk for $19?
    edited September 2017 Solianantksundaramlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    I guess I won't be rapid charging then.
    this nickel and dimeing (well, tens of dollars !ends up killing goodwill, and loyalty.
    edited September 2017 doozydozenicoco3
  • Reply 5 of 35
    RND (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K356BYA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) makes a similar charger to Anker that also charges at just under 29w through the USB-C port using a USB-C/lightning cable. While I prefer Anker, the documentation says it doesn't work over a USB-C/lightning cable. Did AI find this untrue and did it charge at 29w?
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    thanx_al said:
    RND (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K356BYA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) makes a similar charger to Anker that also charges at just under 29w through the USB-C port using a USB-C/lightning cable. While I prefer Anker, the documentation says it doesn't work over a USB-C/lightning cable. Did AI find this untrue and did it charge at 29w?
    The specific Anker we linked to in the article worked fine with the USB-C to Lightning cable. It is charging an iPad Pro as I speak. There are indeed some from Anker that do not.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Maybe they intend this extra capability to only be free for MBP owners. Then again, that $50 price boost on the iPadPro still has my head spinning (wondering if this will be happening on a regular basis now).

Buuuut, don't think I'd plug this into a made-in-chynuh 12V-cigarette-lighter to USB adapter (or even the vehicle's built-in USB ports) anytime soon..no telling how much damage it could do to the car/boat/plane electrical systems. I do like the idea of a dash-mounted 7.5W Qi-charger from their presentation on wireless charging, but then I'd have to go back to Bluetooth for music (which was horrible the last time I checked) instead of just for voice.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    entropys said:
    this nickel and dimeing (well, tens of dollars !ends up killing goodwill, and loyalty.
    Yeah if only people hadn’t been saying that for years. Yet somehow Apple still stands...how can this be?!
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 35
    flydog said:

I can vouch for Amazon's own "Amazon Basics" USB-C to Lightning cables. They are very high quality and run about $10. Found the link:  https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Nylon-Braided-Lightning-Compatible/dp/B01F9RGJJO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505336251&sr=8-3&keywords=usb-3+to+lightning+cable+amazon+basics

The quality of these easily beats Apple's own and they shouldn't fray or break as easily either. I love mine so far... and this is not a sponsored message. :smiley: 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 10 of 35
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    entropys said:
    This line has been used against Apple for as long as I can remember, and it's hilarious. It hasn't, it isn't, and it won't, Especially in this particular instance when 95% of people don't know, and don't care. Nor should they, really.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 35
    I remember when the MacBook Pro came with a VGA-DVI adapter. I remember when the iPhone came with a dock. So chicness means cheapness? Seems like Apple would want to highlight the full potential of their products right out of the box. I’m not disparaging the engineering they put into creating their chargers (et. al.) by any means, just the inexplicability of not including them with their products.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    The current iPhones will only pull up to the wattage that they are designed for which is 5 watts (5v - 1A) no matter what charger you are using. Inferior chargers may only be giving you 4 watts or so. 

The new iPhones are designed to pull more amperage which I am guessing may be 2.4A, so maybe 12 watts at 5 volts. 

So a 12W iPad charger should give you just as fast a charge as the 29W, 61W, and 87W USB-c chargers since they only provide 12W (2.4A) to a 5 volt iPhone or IPad or any other 5 volt device. 

teknishn
  • Reply 13 of 35
    This is a ridiculous article - THere's so many cheap and good (e.g. Anker / Aukey) 3rd party chargers that support QC that it takes willful ignorance to say that it takes $80 to support QC. You can get QC with a $10 charger that most likely you already own but never leveraged.
    teknishn
  • Reply 14 of 35
    DangDave said:

So a 12W iPad charger should give you just as fast a charge as the 29W, 61W, and 87W USB-c chargers since they only provide 12W (2.4A) to a 5 volt iPhone or IPad or any other 5 volt device. 
    My 12W iPad charger has charged my iPhones 6, 6s and 7 much more quickly than the 5W charger that comes with the iPhone so it's definitely worked for a few years.  The 29W charger will charge the iPad Pro more quickly but not the iPhones, which I believe have fewer pins.  It sounds like Apple may have given the new iPhones the same Lightning port the iPad Pro has.
    stantheman
  • Reply 15 of 35
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    DangDave said:

My 12W iPad charger has charged my iPhones 6, 6s and 7 much more quickly than the 5W charger that comes with the iPhone so it's definitely worked for a few years.  The 29W charger will charge the iPad Pro more quickly but not the iPhones, which I believe have fewer pins.  It sounds like Apple may have given the new iPhones the same Lightning port the iPad Pro has.

If that's true, is the iPhone now capable of USB-3? Not just for power, but also for data. IE will the USB-3 Camera Adapter work with the USB-Ethernet Adapter to give you a hardwired network connection on the phone?

I'm disappointed that Apple hasn't gone to USB-C chargers for the new iPhones, and not just because I predicted they would. I wasn't even necessarily expecting them to be more than 5W (or maybe 12W), I just thought they'd standardise everything across the line on USB-C.

• Reply 16 of 35
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    This is Tim Cook's Apple, his goal is to squeeze every penny. My new MacBook Pro does not have MagSafe or a cable wrap built into the power brick, and did not even include a three pronged extension cable like my previous MacBook did. little touches that are disappearing more and more. I love my new computer but for the price, I would like to hang on to the little details that made me love Apple in the first place instead of turning everything generic and less user friendly.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 17 of 35
    This is complete garbage. You don’t need a laptop charger for quick charging. All you need is a cheap iPad charger. Seriously, I can’t believe I’m even seeing this article.

Furthermore, with 10-15$ Qi pad at work and home in a few spots, you can very easily keep things topped off. 
    stantheman
  • Reply 18 of 35
    I keep a charger in my bedroom, office, car and shop.
    So I need to update 4 chargers?   Hmmmm.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    flydog said:

There are also plenty of low cost but terrible cables on Amazon.  Why take the risk for $19?
    If there is one area where Apple is not delivering quality, it is in the cable and charger category.  So way paying $19 more for a cable that is probably worse?
  • Reply 20 of 35
    The 12W iPad charger/adaptor is the most powerful one that is effective on iPhone.  Larger chargers intended for MacBooks will work with iPhone, but won't speed up the charging process compared to 12W.  This information was provided in the Q&A comments at Apple's online Store. Search there for "power adaptor" and read about it.  www.apple.com 
    edited September 2017