First look: Hands-on with Apple's iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 181 of 436
    boeyc15 said:
     Rayz2016 said:
    Seems that this "Steve wouldn't have done/liked this" crap is still a popular hissyfit round here. 

If you don't like what Apple is doing then fine; but don't try and make your argument with that tired old meme. You didn't know the guy, so it's just embarrassing. 

BTW- with present Touch id, I can unlock and hand the phone over for someone to see pictures etc, or that person can text or look  up something while Im driving etc. Will that be possible if FaceID is engaged?

When a phone is unlocked, how would it behave any differently whether you unlocked it with face id, touch id, or a passcode? answer: it wouldn't.
    edited September 2017 Solifastasleepstompynetmagebrucemc
  • Reply 182 of 436
    I hope Apple does more media to explain their thinking behind what they announced because it is kind of confusing. IPhone X is the future yet there is an iPhone 8 which has the same A11 chip, nearly the same camera as the X, wireless charging like the X, video recording the same as the.X, true tone and wide color display same as the X. But the 8 still has home button, Touch ID and bezels. The 8 really feels like it exists because Apple couldn’t mass produce enough of the OLED screens and the X feels like it exists because Apple couldn’t go another year with phone with large top and bottom bezels when all the competition is releasing near bezeless phones. I have a feeling it will all be a bit confusing to consumers.
    "The 8 really feels like it exists because Apple couldn’t mass produce enough of the OLED screens and the X feels like it exists because Apple couldn’t go another year with phone with large top and bottom bezels when all the competition is releasing near bezeless phones."

Couldn't agree more. This is exactly what it feels like. It's a tough decision. i think Apple made the right one.
  • Reply 183 of 436

AI_lias said:
    Disappointed that edges are rounded and it will be slippery. So it will go in a case. Then videos playing will be cut off. Really? You are so anal about the quality of the OLEDs over LCD, and when you finally do switch to OLED, you cut off part of the screen? But wait, there's more: 64GB too little for a high end phone, 128GB at least. should come with AirPods in box. Also, would have been nice to just put the Touch ID on the back and eliminate the top notch. Some people might prefer that. This phone is not impressive, a bit gimmicky, and Federighi gave away his dignity yesterday.
    Videos don't get cut off unless you choose to display them that way. AirPods in the box would've added $150 to the cost, then you'd be complaining about that. If you want Touch ID and no sensor notch, get an 8 or 8 Plus! Problem solved!
    No! We must complain that there exists a thing we did not expect to be a thing! The internet must hear us! /s
    fastasleep
  • Reply 184 of 436
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    I hope Apple does more media to explain their thinking behind what they announced because it is kind of confusing. IPhone X is the future yet there is an iPhone 8 which has the same A11 chip, nearly the same camera as the X, wireless charging like the X, video recording the same as the.X, true tone and wide color display same as the X. But the 8 still has home button, Touch ID and bezels. The 8 really feels like it exists because Apple couldn’t mass produce enough of the OLED screens and the X feels like it exists because Apple couldn’t go another year with phone with large top and bottom bezels when all the competition is releasing near bezeless phones. I have a feeling it will all be a bit confusing to consumers.
    "The 8 really feels like it exists because Apple couldn’t mass produce enough of the OLED screens and the X feels like it exists because Apple couldn’t go another year with phone with large top and bottom bezels when all the competition is releasing near bezeless phones."

Couldn't agree more. This is exactly what it feels like. It's a tough decision. i think Apple made the right one.
    Given enough OLED screens, will the "Plus" models disappear?
  • Reply 185 of 436

So are you guys saying there shouldn't be differing products based on differing needs and different constraints? Struggling to understand.
  • Reply 186 of 436

So are you guys saying there shouldn't be differing products based on differing needs and different constraints? Struggling to understand.
    Not at all. What we're saying (or at least I am) is given an ideal situation of no supply constraints on components, Apple would've probably liked to have released two iPhone X models: 5.8" & 6.4" (starting at say $799 or $899), no iPhone 8 models, and lower prices on the rest of the line-up (SE, 6S, 7).  Apple promotes the iPhone X as the future of the iPhone for the next ten years. If so, I'd imagine they want to get it in as many hands as possible, but as we know, key components are severely constrained right now.
    edited September 2017 fastasleepnetmage
  • Reply 187 of 436
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

Let's consider if Apple had been able to obtain unlimited OLED displays and no OLED displays.

Unlimited: They have the most radical iPhone announcement to date. In many ways it's even more radical than when the iPhone was first introduced in comparison to other "smart"phones on the market, but for an YoY release it's just an amazing jump for a company that I'd argue has a history of soft-stepping radical, customer-facing innovations. Not having Touch ID, having Face ID, that display permitter, and price point are far too many things, in my opinion, even if we discount OLED panel availability as a factor.

None: They release an iPhone 8 series. It has Qi charging, USB 3.0 speeds over Lightning and fast charging, it has a better camera with OIS in both lenses and new SW features to go with it, it has a TrueTone display, and the A11 Bionic. That seems like a great update in and of itself, but there's also no reason—except that the iPhone X exists and that component supply may also be low-yield for Face ID—that Face ID could't have been added to it, had they wanted to.

So I agree that Apple made the right choice but I don't see how OLED supply not being a factor would mean the iPhone 8 series wouldn't still exist.

PS: If you adjust the factors so that the iPhone X displays is the same cost as the iPhone 7 then things get more interesting, but I can't see how that could ever be the case with what we know about OLED production right now. Perhaps the Toshiba factory was suppose to solve that, but then you still have the iPhone 8 series being $50 more than the iPhone 7 series last year. Where did that extra cost from? Is Apple just getting more profit because they're, like, super greedy? Is it just to make the price difference to the iPhone X seem like less of a jump? I'm guessing that adding Qi charging plays a big role in that.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 188 of 436
    What is there to explain? Sounds like you figured it out, despite your handwringing.

This isn't confusing to consumers. A good example of an Apple decision that was confusing to consumers was putting the MacBook in the same aluminum case as the MacBook Pro, remember that? Then you have to have staff explain to consumers what the internal differences are. The difference between the 8 and X are clear as day because they're plainly visible physical and obvious functionality differences, while the insides are largely the same. Want a larger OLED screen and facial recognition and to look cool and spend more money? X. Want Touch ID and a lower price point while getting all the same awesome new internals as the X and spend more what you'd normally expect to spend? 8 or 8 Plus. I would argue the choice between the two lines could not be much clearer than it is.

Everyone else will be getting the older models because their carrier is offering some deal, or they're too dumb to realize they could just fix their broken screen for $100 instead of having to buy a new phone, or are just cheap or don't care about any of the features as long as it's good enough.

Done.
  • Reply 189 of 436
    melgross said:
    "The iPhone 6, 6s and 7 generations each sold around 170 million units in their first year."

Apple say they can only produce 10,000 iPhone X's a day so at that rate to make 170 million would take them a bit over 46 years! 
    Was that actually Apple that said that? I thought it was a writer on some web site that said that.
    Or for 10,000 employees working at the Foxconn factory (of 200,000 employees) each of the 10,000 would only make one iPhone X a day?  <Grin> 
  • Reply 190 of 436
    Soli said:

Let's consider if Apple had been able to obtain unlimited OLED displays and no OLED displays.

Unlimited: They have the most radical iPhone announcement to date. In many ways it's even more radical than when the iPhone was first introduced in comparison to other "smart"phones on the market, but for an YoY release it's just an amazing jump for a company that I'd argue has a history of soft-stepping radical, customer-facing innovations. Not having Touch ID, having Face ID, that display permitter, and price point are far too many things, in my opinion, even if we discount OLED panel availability as a factor.

None: They release an iPhone 8 series. It has Qi charging, USB 3.0 speeds over Lightning and fast charging, it has a better camera with OIS in both lenses and new SW features to go with it, it has a TrueTone display, and the A11 Bionic. That seems like a great update in and of itself, but there's also no reason—except that the iPhone X exists and that component supply may also be low-yield for Face ID—that Face ID could't have been added to it, had they wanted to.

So I agree that Apple made the right choice but I don't see how OLED supply not being a factor would mean the iPhone 8 series wouldn't still exist.
    "So I agree that Apple made the right choice but I don't see how OLED supply not being a factor would mean the iPhone 8 series wouldn't still exist."

Because there would be no need for the iPhone 8 series to exist. Given enough component (specifically OLED displays and FaceID camera, since both are constrained), Apple would be in a better position to dictate prices, which means lower-priced iPhone X. So instead of starting price of $999, maybe they could do $899 or heck even $799.  Given that Apple pushes iPhone X as future of the iPhone, there would be no need for the iPhone 8 series to exist.
    fastasleepnetmage
  • Reply 191 of 436
    A great write-up on initial thoughts of iPhone X

https://om.co/2017/09/13/18420/

Whoa!
  • Reply 192 of 436

Soli said:
    apmiller said:
    Still love my 6s. (Hopefully iOS 11 doesn't bog it down.)
    I'm running the iOS 11 GM on my 6 right now since last night and honestly I think it's running smoother than 10 ever did. Really digging the new animations/transitions/etc. Everything feels way more fluid. I don't recall how much faster the 6s was but you should be fine.
    I love the new Control Center. iOS 10 introduced a new design that put the audio controls and headphones/speaker output on a second page which I didn't care for. I can't think of a single thing the new Control Center can do to improve (except perhaps allow for repositioning of icons, but I haven't checked to see if that's an option of if I'd even utilize it).
    YES! It's SO much better than the iOS 10 CC. I can't say I am in love with the panel of similar looking roundrect blobs (versus say, the more diversified/separated iOS 7-era CC), but it's definitely way better than 10's.

Additionally, this is what made me notice that they actually did something I never expected — they added 3D Touch functionality to the widgets in it on non-3D Touch devices using long presses. 

I just customized mine by adding more controls (there are quite a few you can add now), and you can rearrange those by sorting the order — but they all live below the main controls no matter what, which you cannot rearrange. Wonder if they'll allow 3rd party widgets, though I assume they'll leave that in the Today view only.

edited September 2017
  • Reply 193 of 436
    Soli said:

"So I agree that Apple made the right choice but I don't see how OLED supply not being a factor would mean the iPhone 8 series wouldn't still exist."

Because there would be no need for the iPhone 8 series to exist. Given enough component (specifically OLED displays and FaceID camera, since both are constrained), Apple would be in a better position to dictate prices, which means lower-priced iPhone X. So instead of starting price of $999, maybe they could do $899 or heck even $799.  Given that Apple pushes iPhone X as future of the iPhone, there would be no need for the iPhone 8 series to exist.
    1) But you can't just drop the price by 10–20% to make it convenient. There are real consideration for Apple to make so you need to see it from their perceptive. Economies of scale can be factored in if we assume that Samsung, in this case, can charge less and earn just as much or more because they don't have a 40% failure rate, but that's now factoring an entirely different company's product before we get to Apple's product.

2) This "no reason […] to exist" is erroneous statement that I see on forums often. Too many people dream of some simplistic all-or-nothing utopia where everything is perfected. Keep in mind that Apple has often releases new flagship devices and then lesser units still using new components. Based on your statements the Phone SE had no reason to exist and yet it does. It's folly to assume that everyone would be served by the iPhone X on day one had Samsung sullied enough displays. There's a new display shape, new gestures, no Touch ID, and a 54% price increase. There's no scenario where that's good for business as "all."
    pscooter63
  • Reply 194 of 436
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Soli said:

PS: If you adjust the factors so that the iPhone X displays is the same cost as the iPhone 7 then things get more interesting, but I can't see how that could ever be the case with what we know about OLED production right now. Perhaps the Toshiba factory was suppose to solve that, but then you still have the iPhone 8 series being $50 more than the iPhone 7 series last year. Where did that extra cost from? Is Apple just getting more profit because they're, like, super greedy? Is it just to make the price difference to the iPhone X seem like less of a jump? I'm guessing that adding Qi charging plays a big role in that.
    Apple is probably getting HUGE profits by even Apple's standards because didn't they drop Qualcomm for Intel modems.   

• Reply 195 of 436
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    DED,  is the OLED screen pentile?
  • Reply 196 of 436
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

I miss the days when AI allowed posters on these forums to use sigs...

Here's my current fav:

It is surprisingly happy work building a coffin — I do not know why …  I guess: ‘cause if you’re building it — you’re not the customer.  

-Roy Underhill, Woodwright- 

Mine was:

if Apple products look like they come from the future, it's because they do.

- Radar The Kat
  • Reply 197 of 436
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    sog35 said:
    MplsP said:
    It's certainly easy enough, but it's a pain in the ass to go into photos every week to delete a bunch of useless screenshots caused by a poor design. Your comment is kind of like saying it's no big deal that you have to open your car from the passenger side because the driver's side lock doesn't always work. If I pay $200 for a cheap Motorola android phone then I expect that. If I'm paying $1000 for a top of the line iPhone I expect better.
    I still don't understand how you are pressing the wrong button day, after day, after day, after day...........
    Simple - the power button is on the right. The volume button is on the left, directly opposite of the power button. if you hold the phone in your hand and press the power button, you naturally press the volume button at the same time. (just look at the natural position of your fingers when holding the phone) I've had my 6s for 2 years and I don't do it as often as I used to, but it still happens on a very regular basis. I far prefer the old location of the power button at the top of the phone rather than on the side. Like I said, if Apple wants me to shell out $1000 for a phone, I expect it to work like $1000.
    netmageglynh
  • Reply 198 of 436
    MplsP said:

For those bemoaning the "High Price" of the iPhone X...

A loaded iPhone 8 Plus costs $45.75 per month under the IUP.  A loaded iPhone X costs $56.16 -- $10.41 per month more for the very best!
    That's exactly how companies want you to think about it - divide what you're paying into smaller, more frequent amounts to make it seem smaller. The bottom line is you're still paying over 40% more to get an iPhone X vs an iPhone 8. Even more than that if you finance it with a credit card like a lot of people unfortunately do. 
    Is there a problem with divide what you're paying into smaller, more frequent amounts to make it seem smaller doable?

Do you pay rent or a mortgage, utilities, car payments, your phone bill?

To me, it makes more sense to spread the $1,150 over 24 months (interest free loan) and invest the remaining $thousand and change in something like AAPL. At the end of 24 months I can resell the iPhone for $250-$400.

Just like you pay for your phone service monthly, why shouldn't you pay for the device that consumes that service on a monthly basis?

Back in the days of yesteryear -- circa 1980-1998, pre cellular phones (pre millennials):

Looks like a great deal to me... 
    Are you seriously trying to compare a cell phone payment with a mortgage payment or a car payment??? Your cell phone company may let you pay for the phone interest free, but you are still paying for it, no matter how you slice it. But then, the car salesmen must love you, since all you care about is the monthly payment. 

I remember well the days of Ma Bell. Before cell phones we were paying $24/month for our landline - $288 per year. We had sprint for our long distance that charged $0.10/minute and rarely used more than a couple bucks a month. Now we pay $1800 per year for cell and data for 4 lines. Assuming we get a new phone every 3 years that's about $900 per year for hardware, so we've gone from $288 to $2700 per year. Add $720 per year for broadband and you're up over $3400 per year. It's a totally unfair comparison though. You can't compare 4 individual smart phones with LTE & broadband to a single land line, but it's a good example of how technology costs creep into our lives. 
  • Reply 199 of 436
    Does anyone know if Face ID recognize more than one face? My wife and I have each others' thumb prints saved on our phones so we can quickly & easily unlock them. It would be nice to do the same with Face ID
  • Reply 200 of 436
    MplsP said:
    Does anyone know if Face ID recognize more than one face? My wife and I have each others' thumb prints saved on our phones so we can quickly & easily unlock them. It would be nice to do the same with Face ID
    Nothing I've seen points to recognizing more than one face.