LTE Apple Watch Series 3 boosts minimum required device to iPhone 6 for initial setup [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Only the Series 3 with cellular requires an iPhone 6. The Series 3 with GPS is 5s or newer. 
    That's reassuring. It contradicts what I was told by an Apple rep, but I don't have complete faith in the person I talked to. They might not have known for certain and was just trying to sound authoritative.  

Though, it's still not clear what the situation is if you get the (GPS + Cellular) watch but don't use the cellular feature. I'm thinking of getting the cellular feature in case I want to add it in the future, but I don't plan to use it right away. 
  • Reply 22 of 35
    jbdragon said:
    Seriously? Does this only apply to the version with cellular, or all series 3 watches? The 5s isn't that old, and I don't want to upgrade. I guess I won't be buying an Apple Watch after all if it won't work with my 5s. *sigh*
    The 5S is now 4 years old! 
    Yes, and it still makes phone calls and text messages, and still runs the apps I care about.  I'm definitely not a typical smartphone user and don't need the latest/greatest (though I rue the day I chose the 16gb version). 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 23 of 35
    jbdragon said:
    Seriously? Does this only apply to the version with cellular, or all series 3 watches? The 5s isn't that old, and I don't want to upgrade. I guess I won't be buying an Apple Watch after all if it won't work with my 5s. *sigh*
    The 5S is now 4 years old! 
    Yes, and it still makes phone calls and text messages, and still runs the apps I care about.  I'm definitely not a typical smartphone user and don't need the latest/greatest (though I rue the day I chose the 16gb version). 
    Well, if your looking into a $500 watch with cellular, you'd be looking into the latest and greatest don't you think. That's the only one not supported.
    Likely like some said above the need to store sim info in a secure way that the 5s can't do.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 35
     Genuinely curious what the SAR value is for these watches.   I saw FCC tests of a Huawei watch and it was close to the legal limit. 

• Reply 25 of 35
    This is likely because of how they are managing connecting the devices through the carriers to the same phone number. It's most likely limited by the hardware modems of those devices.

I also sat in on a Bluetooth session at WWDC that went over the future of Bluetooth and how they significantly speed up transfer times of files for doing updates for instance.  They specifically mentioned WatchOS updates in their examples.  However, this new capability required newer versions of the Bluetooth hardware and I think the cut off was iPhone 6.  After checking my notes and doing some searching... this capability is only available with Bluetooth 4.2 and Bluetooth 5.0.  The iPhone 6 has Bluetooth 4.2, while iPhone 5s tops out at 4.1.

So again, you're running into a hardware limitation. Keep in mind however that this is not planned obsolesce. Apple adopts Bluetooth standards faster that anyone in the industry.  It's simply that you'll be using a three-year old device and expecting today's feature set.  It's simply impossible to do certain things on older hardware.
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 35
    evilution said:
    Adds LTE to make it a standalone unit..... makes you have an iPhone anyway.
    Well, sorrry...   There are limits to what you can do with unit with a screen only one inch wide.

Yes, Apple could have made the Apple Watch completely stand alone.   But that would have sacrificed functionality.   Apple thought it through and did it right.   Again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Too bad.  I was going to order a new watch on Friday, but I have a 5S non-cellular version.  Seems like an unnecessary restriction for Apple to make, since the series 2 works with it.
    Since the restriction only applies to the Series 3 LTE, I doubt it was unnecessary.   But, I will be curious to know what exactly drove it.  Nebby minds want to know!
  • Reply 28 of 35

I can't fault Apple for this. Even tho I own an Se and am an avid AppleWatch wearer. It allows Apple to put more resources into improving 'current' devices, OS's, and software. Plus, R&D for future fantastic devices, e.g., AirPods, PowerPad, iPad Pros, iPhones, etc.

I just bought a 2017 rose gold MacBook to replace my aging 2006 original intel iMac (it just will not die) b/c it no longer supports the latest and greatest MacOS. 

Thanks Apple! :)

P.S. I just read the comments and maybe the Se is supported! :)
    The SE is two generations newer than the 5s. Yes, the SE is supported.
    FWIW, I went to Apple's site, clicked on the "chat" button, waited quite a while, and finally got an Apple representative. She told me the SE was NOT supported with the Series 3 watch. On one hand I'm not sure I trust her. On the other hand, I would expect Apple to have given her a script to read from for questions like this. She seemed definitive, and never said anything like "I don't know, let me check". Of course, she could have been trained to lie through her teeth if she didn't know an answer.
    Apple phone support people tend to be far more knowledgeable and accurate than the general sales people in the Apple stores.   But still, not infallible.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator

I can't fault Apple for this. Even tho I own an Se and am an avid AppleWatch wearer. It allows Apple to put more resources into improving 'current' devices, OS's, and software. Plus, R&D for future fantastic devices, e.g., AirPods, PowerPad, iPad Pros, iPhones, etc.

I just bought a 2017 rose gold MacBook to replace my aging 2006 original intel iMac (it just will not die) b/c it no longer supports the latest and greatest MacOS. 

Thanks Apple! :)

P.S. I just read the comments and maybe the Se is supported! :)
    The SE is two generations newer than the 5s. Yes, the SE is supported.
    FWIW, I went to Apple's site, clicked on the "chat" button, waited quite a while, and finally got an Apple representative. She told me the SE was NOT supported with the Series 3 watch. On one hand I'm not sure I trust her. On the other hand, I would expect Apple to have given her a script to read from for questions like this. She seemed definitive, and never said anything like "I don't know, let me check". Of course, she could have been trained to lie through her teeth if she didn't know an answer.
    We have three sources telling us that the SE is fine, given that it has the same wireless chipsets plus secure enclave that's found in the iPhone 6s, but thanks for the info! As noted earlier, the product pages are still in flux, and we'll update if we have sufficient evidence otherwise.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Only the Series 3 with cellular requires an iPhone 6. The Series 3 with GPS is 5s or newer. 
    That's reassuring. It contradicts what I was told by an Apple rep, but I don't have complete faith in the person I talked to. They might not have known for certain and was just trying to sound authoritative.  

Though, it's still not clear what the situation is if you get the (GPS + Cellular) watch but don't use the cellular feature. I'm thinking of getting the cellular feature in case I want to add it in the future, but I don't plan to use it right away. 
    I'm in the same boat... my first iPhone was the 5S some 6 months ago with the carrier "SFR" in France and I have 18 months of the contract to go. However, although the new cellular Apple Watch is only usable through "Orange" in France, I hadn't planned on updating my first phone until after the Sept 2018 event and whatever new announcements may happen then.

My question is therefore, if I plan ahead and purchase the Watch 3 (GPS + cell) tomorrow when orders start being taken - eventually hoping to upgrade to an iPhone 7, 8, 9(?) or X in 12/18 months time... whereas I would hope a Watch to last 5+ years before serious upgrade - will just the GPS features of the Watch 3 GPS + cell) work with my current 5S ?
  • Reply 31 of 35
    I believe to get this ring at the same number trick, VoLTE is the reason. The 5s never supported VoLTE.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 35

I'm in the same boat... my first iPhone was the 5S some 6 months ago with the carrier "SFR" in France and I have 18 months of the contract to go. However, although the new cellular Apple Watch is only usable through "Orange" in France, I hadn't planned on updating my first phone until after the Sept 2018 event and whatever new announcements may happen then.

My question is therefore, if I plan ahead and purchase the Watch 3 (GPS + cell) tomorrow when orders start being taken - eventually hoping to upgrade to an iPhone 7, 8, 9(?) or X in 12/18 months time... whereas I would hope a Watch to last 5+ years before serious upgrade - will just the GPS features of the Watch 3 GPS + cell) work with my current 5S ?
    I don't know about your 5S question.
    But I would not expect to get 5 years out of a watch:   That's partly because it tends to take beating,  but mainly because the watch is in its infancy, high growth period.  Phones, laptops and desktops have largely leveled off with evolutionary improvements.   But the watch is still experiencing revolutionary improvements.

How much a 4 or 5 year old watch "meets your needs" in 2022 may be mostly up to how much control you have over those needs.   But Old Tim Cook will be fighting you every step of the way and tempting you every September.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 35

I don't know about your 5S question.
    But I would not expect to get 5 years out of a watch:   That's partly because it tends to take beating,  but mainly because the watch is in its infancy, high growth period.  Phones, laptops and desktops have largely leveled off with evolutionary improvements.   But the watch is still experiencing revolutionary improvements.

How much a 4 or 5 year old watch "meets your needs" in 2022 may be mostly up to how much control you have over those needs.   But Old Tim Cook will be fighting you every step of the way and tempting you every September.
    Thanks for your input, and I get your points. But, being an independent artist (painter), and retired, and appreciating the Apple 'halo', I need Apple's relatively expensive equipment to last a long time. I started publishing magazines with a Mac in 1992 and am now on only my fifth model... and it took me decades before I purchased my first portable phone. Having suffered a serious heart-attack three years ago I would now like an Apple Watch (3) especially for it's heart/pulse readings (maybe a Watch 1 will do)... the 'cell' capability can wait awhile until I upgrade after selling more artwork! :-)
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Did you read anything past the title? I guess not because it clearly stated that this only applies to the cellular capable version.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 35
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    Was a definite determination ever made as to what causes the additional requirement for the LTE Apple Watch 3?

From MacTracker, the only differences I see beyond the obvious form factor are:
    iBeacon microlocation and support for 802.11ac.

Does it seem likely that either of these would be critical to pairing the LTE Apple Watch 3 and an iPhone?
    edited March 2018